Profile for Michael Aherne > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Aherne "MikeTwo" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Gibraltar SC-SH Soft Nylon Stick Holder
Gibraltar SC-SH Soft Nylon Stick Holder
Price: $15.09
7 used & new from $13.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Ummm... color?, June 24, 2012
Like another reviewer, mine came in black. No big deal, but I think red is cooler so I was hoping for that.

The bag is functional and sturdy, though I wish you could angle it. The sticks are a little difficult to pull out in a hurry, because you have to pull more or less straight up. I suggest you mount this very low on the hi-hat, to give the pullout maneuver some clearance.

That being said, it's a solid product that has saved me a few times at gigs, and it's cheaper and easier than becoming a better drummer. So if you have butter fingers like me, buy this.

*EDIT June 8, 2013* It looks like they updated the color on the picture, so no surprises for the rest of you. The bag is still holding up after a year.

Spectrum Wall-Mountable Black Scroll Spice Rack
Spectrum Wall-Mountable Black Scroll Spice Rack
Price: $15.79
31 used & new from $14.17

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great rack!, June 24, 2012
Simple, elegant and sleek -- this is a great spice rack. If you're like me and have a billion spices, this won't hold all of them (each shelf can fit 6 of your standard McCormick spice-cylinders), but it will give you quick access to the most-used and most-important ones.

Simplehuman Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel
Simplehuman Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel
Price: $25.99
17 used & new from $21.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Effective, June 24, 2012
This is a solid household product and I strongly recommend it.

I took off 1 star because installation is a bit of a pain and the screws are cheap. The unit is just heavy enough that one-handing it while marking the holes is not easy, and you need to pilot-drill the holes to make sure the screws go in straight. The screws are not stainless steel, as another poster mentioned, and you'll want to be careful about their length if you're putting this onto a cabinet.

However, these minor tidbits aside, it's a great product. It's sturdy and sleek, and changing rolls is a breeze.

Sony HDR-CX110 High Definition Handycam Camcorder (Blue)
Sony HDR-CX110 High Definition Handycam Camcorder (Blue)
Offered by LWOutlet
Price: $549.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., February 15, 2011
I think my review is less the camera's fault than my expectations of it not being met. However, others may find themselves in a similar position, so I hope my experience will enlighten anyone making the same mistake.

This was my first video camera, and I was expecting similar functionality to my a similarly-priced still camera from 6 years ago -- a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. Specifically this meant some sort of easy manual focusing, and the ability to change settings like f-stop (or its video equivalent), white balance, ISO, etc...

I expected too much and did not research enough, because with this video camera you've got to go through the menu system to attempt any of that. Good luck if you're trying to do it in the sun!

That being said, the video quality is fantastic when it's in focus. I was recently on a camping trip, and did a sweep of the sunset over the Pacific. It's a beautiful shot, but the camera's automatic settings couldn't cope, and the image goes in and out of focus as the autofocus was freaking out.

So, before I ramble on, let me summarize my experience:

Pro's
- Absolutely beautiful video quality in HD
- Zoom is scary-good, but you need a tripod or camera stabilizer to use it at the highest level.
- Extremely small. Front pants-pocket small.

Con's
- No viewfinder, no button-access to camera settings (everything through the LCD menu)
- Menu is hard to see in the sun
- Closing the LCD screen turns off the camera
- Has an "easily breakable" feel to it. Don't ever drop it!
- File format (AVCHD) is a pain to work with.

Xbox 360 Rock Band Special Edition
Xbox 360 Rock Band Special Edition
8 used & new from $179.29

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me a drummer, April 5, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I won't even try to accomplish what has been accomplished in the top reviews. They are complete and accurate, and I highly recommend this game.

What I can contribute is a perspective from someone who used this game to get into real drumming...

The drum set included in Rockband will not make you an instant drummer, but it does teach quite a lot of the fundamentals. For example, the basic keeping of rhythm between your hi-hat and snare (yellow and red pads), and the ability to disconnect your upper limbs from your feet are really important obstacles that Rockband allows you to overcome before you ever sit on a real set.

That being said, once you can play everything on Hard, taking the time to get to Expert does not teach you much more that carries over to real drums. So if that's a path you're looking to take, which I strongly recommend, set down the game once you've mastered Hard and pick up a real drum. You'll find it amazingly frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. And you'll see that although you won't have the glory of getting through "Don't Fear The Reaper" after a few days of practice, you will find similar glory in the little things as you master them for real.

So much thanks goes to Harmonix for helping me find my musical talent after 28 years. I owe those guys so much.

Top Trails Los Angeles
Top Trails Los Angeles
by Jerry Schad
34 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor issues, but overall great, April 5, 2010
This review is from: Top Trails Los Angeles (Paperback)
I'm basically in agreement with the reviewers before me, so I won't repeat everything they said. This is a solid hiking book, and you really can't go wrong with it.

If I were to nitpick, and I will, a few of his hikes are barely hikes at all. (See Point Dume, for example). I think the author is trying to cover a very wide audience, and so he includes hikes for the elderly or those with children. That's a fair decision, and I won't criticize that, but I belong to neither of those groups -- so some of the easier hikes were a little too easy.

That being said, I'm really just nitpicking. There's something in this book for everyone, and I highly recommend it, particularly if you're a new hiker or new to the area.

LG Portable Speaker for Cell Phones / Ipod & MP3
LG Portable Speaker for Cell Phones / Ipod & MP3

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but not durable, April 5, 2010
If I were only writing the review for how the speakers sound, it would be 5 stars. They are compact, lightweight, and pack an amazing punch. At 70% volume I could hear these things clearly, even in the shower!

However, they lose 2 stars for durability. After only a few months use, something went haywire in the recharging circuitry, and they refused to hold a charge for more than a few seconds. I probably should have called the company, but for as cheap as they were I didn't really care enough to prioritize it.

The one I got may have been an isolated case, but consider yourself warned.

Mammoth 12" by Jaag
Mammoth 12" by Jaag
Offered by Noah's Animal Figurines
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars RAAAAAWWWWR!, April 5, 2010
This review is from: Mammoth 12" by Jaag (Toy)
Back in the good old days, when men were men, "being a man" meant going out of your camp and hunting an animal the size of a small home. You would gather up your courage, bows and arrows, and if you were lucky you would return victorious with a carcass for your loved one.

Today's modern man doesn't have that option. Nowadays, "being a man" means cleaning the dishes, taking out the recycling, or changing the baby's diaper. The days of blood, sweat and manly grunts are gone, replaced now by the quiet acquiescence of doing the right thing. And while the modern man can take comfort in the fact that taking out the trash *is* a manly thing to do, it doesn't *feel* manly. The glorious dying roar of a building-sized beast doesn't compare to the metallic thunk of a dumpster bin closing behind you.

When I told all this to my girlfriend, she decided to change the terminology. No longer was it just trash or dishes, but mastodons everywhere! "Honey, can you clean up?" suddenly became "OMG there's a mastodon in the kitchen! Please kill it!"

I have never felt more loved. :)

So last Christmas, I bought Cornelius, our pet mastodon. He is cute and soft, and we've never been happier. 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2011 12:51 PM PST

ChannelMaster 4040 Indoor UHF Antenna (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
ChannelMaster 4040 Indoor UHF Antenna (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great, April 5, 2010
The good:
- When it receives channels, they are clear, crisp, and in HD.

The bad:
- There's no such thing as channel surfing with this. You pick a channel, then sit there and twist and point the antenna until it comes in. Don't like what's on the channel? Oh well, pick another one and repeat. It's like the days of rabbit ears all over again.

If you only watch a few channels, or only need this for big events (like the SuperBowl), it's a great antenna at a great price. But if you're looking for something that receives a lot of channels, and if you're like me and live about 40 miles from the stations, you'll need something bigger on the roof.

Atheism: The Case Against God (The Skeptic's Bookshelf)
Atheism: The Case Against God (The Skeptic's Bookshelf)
by George H. Smith
Price: $15.81
156 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, July 4, 2006
In reading the 200+ reviews before mine, I have come to realize that very little I have to say here will be unique. Therefore, I will jump straight to my conclusion.

I consider this book to be not only the most fundamental treatise on atheism ever written, but a stellar example of proper argumentation form in general. I only hope that when I get around to writing my thesis it reads as crisp and as clear as this.

The one unique opinion I can contribute to this mountain of reviews is this: I think that Smith's book will ring the most true with those who share his background (raised Christian or Catholic, but having doubts). While some may see his expressions of frustration throughout the book as insensitive or even mean, they all rang very true for me. In every instance, without exception, Smith gave words to the feelings and frustrations I have had over the years in my search for God.

I truly cannot recommend this book enough, and I honestly believe it will go down as one of the great philosophic texts (right up there with works by Aquinas, Hume, Russel, etc...) It is a fabulous read and a devastating blow to the supposed rationality of religion.

Page: 1 | 2