Profile for Goldengate > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 154

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Goldengate "Goldengate" RSS Feed (San Francisco, where else?)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lutron MACL-153M-WH Maestro 150-Watt Multi-Location CFL/LED Digital Dimmer
Lutron MACL-153M-WH Maestro 150-Watt Multi-Location CFL/LED Digital Dimmer
Price: $27.71
23 used & new from $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These work great with my Great Eagle LED's, March 27, 2015
I replaced my 50 watt MR-16 halogen bulbs in my kitchen with Great Eagle LED bulbs Great Eagle® LED MR16 GU5.3 12V Bright White Color Bulb. 50W Equivalent UL 3000K Dimmable Flood Light for Recessed and Track Lighting Fixtures and my old Lutron Maestro dimmer (I assume it was the low voltage model, I can't find the info stamped on the old dimmer) would not control them... they flashed and I had to put one regular halogen on the circuit so they would work...but that was a pain and that halogen was always much dimmer than the others. I called Lutron and they weren't much help and said that LED's are pretty much trial and error... so fast forward to this model, and it works GREAT. Easy to install, very good directions, and it controls my LED's perfectly.

Highly recommended. Hope this helps!

Far Outside the Ordinary: A Memoir
Far Outside the Ordinary: A Memoir
by Prissy Elrod
Price: $12.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Misses the mark - Sheltered sorority girl experiences loss, writes book, finds African Americans and a new man, March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Prissy is a stereotypical southern sorority girl, raised in a privileged life (summers at the Cloister with her mother and African American nanny), joining a sorority at FSU, marrying her college sweetheart (first date: his grandmother's plantation outside of Tallahassee, FL....yes, plantation), raising children, separating the lights from the darks (in life and in laundry) then dealing with her husband's cancer diagnosis, death and her own supposed "rebirth" (i.e. find another man, attend a black wedding and act like you've just discovered the secrets of Easter Island). The book ends with "To be continued..." and I thought to myself "Oh, please, no no no..."

So many disconnects.... the friend of the family who gives them his American Express card so they can pay for the $10,000 medical treatment (couldn't they get an equity line on one of their homes... let's see there's the beach house and the 4,800 square foot main house....) The book is marketed with a heavy focus on the "Southern black caregivers" that care for her husband, but we don't even get to them until page 87 or so, and believe me, it takes a long time to get to page 87. Where was the editor? Oh yeah, this is self-published.

The last book I read and reviewed was Scott Simon's "Unfortgettable: A Son, A Mother and the Lessons of a Lifetime" which was really a tribute to his mom as well as a recognizable first-hand account of going through a loved one's illness. It was beautifully written and gave the reader a real sense of his mother and what she left behind. With Prissy (yes, her name really is Prissy), her suffering husband seems like an essential character as she tells her own story... about how much she cried and how hard it was, she even had to bury her face in her black housekeeper's bosom and cry.

Huh?

There are moments where I did enjoy her writing.. she describes fall as "a palette of persimmon, ochre and sienna" which I loved... and she also reflects on perfectionism in one package and posits those who strive for it are actually afraid of change. I sat and thought about that for a few minutes before I turned the page to read about more of her suffering.

And spoiler alert, after poor Boone is dead and gone, she's not some steel magnolia that opens a cancer survivor coffee shop in Tallahassee or otherwise reinvents herself... she finds herself another man. Of course she does.

This book could have been an interesting short story, but rambles all over the place and clocks in at 256 pages that feels like 400.

Clearly some have enjoyed this book, and but I am sorry to say that I didn't and would not recommend this to anyone. Instead I would recommend Bob Simon's book which is much better written and actually a tribute vs. a whine.

Curel Daily Moisture Original Lotion, 13 Ounce
Curel Daily Moisture Original Lotion, 13 Ounce
Price: $7.27
18 used & new from $1.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Blech! Overpowering fragrance, dried sticky on my arms, contains salt, March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am definitely the odd man out on this one -- as of this writing the other reviews for this product are absolutely glowing. I ordered this thinking (for some crazy reason, maybe the air is thinner out here in California??) it was Eucerin, which really is the #1 derm recommended moisturizer (I have a derm in the family). Both have sort of strange names and I was in a hurry... so imagine my surprise when I put it on and it smelled like my mother's facial cream circa 1975. Then I looked at the bottom... Curel.... with an accent... another made up word like Eucerin... OK. Back to my mom: the smell was not in a good nostalgic way, but in a how quickly can I wash this stuff off. And the greasy stuff gets everywhere...as I am typing this, my wrists are slipping around the keyboard rests and I can't wait to take the Mrs. Meyers soap out and go to town. Just as soon as I click "submit" on this review.

For severe dry skin, I recommend Eucerin Eucerin Intensive Repair Extra-Enriched Hand Creme, 2.7 oz., which is unscented and works really really well.
For daily moisturizing, I recommend either coconut oil Nature's Way Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, 32-Ounce (yes, the kind you cook with, people ask me all the time what I"m using on my skin as it's soft and moisturized) or Aveeno Oatmeal unscented moisturizer. Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion, 18 Ounce

Let me just rant for a second on fragrance. WHY do these manufacturers put any fragrance in at all? If I want fragrance, I will and I do put on something that's designed for fragrance. I don't want it in my hair spray and my laundry detergent... well on the latter I do like a little natural lavender oil in my detergent, but that's another review (Trader Joe's..)

On this product, fragrance isn't even the last ingredient, meaning there's more fragrance than there is of the following 11 ingredients (and the ingredient right after it is sodium chloride -- salt-- so we are putting salt on our skin?)

I was giving this three stars, but as I type this and the odor continues to waft up and my keys slide across the keyboard (from one pump, mind you, I didn't coat my body in this ala Axe Body Spray!) I am going to take it down to 2 stars.

Sorry, there are so many wonderful moisturizers out there, I simply can't recommend this one. I'm sorry to write such a negative review but I hope it helps you make a decision.

Travel Neck Wallet, Boarding Pass Ticket Organizer Pouch for Passports and Kindle (Gray)
Offered by LaRoyal
Price: $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, lots of pockets, adjustable strap...but more for convenience than security, March 26, 2015
Disclaimer: I received this product free in return for an honest review....

Overall, I like this travel wallet, though I'm not sure how much I will use it. When I ordered it, I was thinking I would use it in Italy in train stations where in the past pickpockets have been an issue...but then I put it around my neck and realized that a pickpocket could easily just cut the cord sticking up behind my head and make off with it pretty easily, so I think this is more about convenience.... for example, at Disney parks I don't like to carry a bag as I'm concerned about leaving them on the rides ( so easy to do when you're head has been shaken by Space Mountain!) and you're always having to get the park ticket and Fastpasses etc out. Seems like this would be a good solution and there's no danger of it flying off if you're on a rollercoaster. There are two zipped pockets and the third zipper provides access to the large compartment which is secured with a velcro flap, so not as secure as the other two pockets.

I also like that the fabric that would face your body is a soft mesh with no itchy scratchy corners... it is comfortable to wear. The rest of the wallet is made of nylon ripstop, very sturdy.

Overall, this is well-made and well-thought out. Highly recommended.

Low Voltage Landscape Well Lights
Low Voltage Landscape Well Lights
Offered by Best Pro Lighting
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent fixture with cheap / very small gauge wire. I wish the bulb were optional, March 25, 2015
This review is from: Low Voltage Landscape Well Lights
This is a nice fixture that compares in quality to our Unique Lighting $65++ light wells... the bulb that comes with it is fine but I'm going to swap it out for a LED anyway. I wish they would just lower the price of the fixture and make the bulb optional. The only complaint I have is that the wire included is really, really thin... it's like lamp cord if even that. It's OK for my LED low voltage purposes but I would think it would get warm if powering a halogen.

Overall a decent light well.

LED Pond Light 12v
LED Pond Light 12v
Offered by Best Pro Lighting
Price: $24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, waterproof, super BRIGHT, but ideally needs a stake for mounting underwater or in landscaping, March 25, 2015
This review is from: LED Pond Light 12v
I ordered this light to put in my waterfall pond, but actually after hooking it up, it would make a nice landscape light... the LED version is extremely bright -- brighter than the halogen par36 light wells that were right next to it. As of this writing there is a $10 difference between the LED and the halogen version (MR16) of this unit - you might want to buy the cheaper one and put your own LED MR16 in the fixture.

The cord is heavy weight. I submerged the whole unit in a bucket of water and watched to see if it leaked... it did not. I will update this review if I run into performance issues once it's sitting at the bottom of my pond.

NOTE that there is NO STAKE included... the flood bracket has a little hole in the bottom where a stake could connect but I could not find a stake on Amazon that would fit this fixture. Perhaps the seller will start selling stakes? It's a heavy-duty fixture and I'd like to use them in my yard but I can't without a stake.

Hope this helps.

Kingtop Wooden Pattern Speaker Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Hands Free Call Voice Prompt Support - Compatible with Iphone 6 Plus, All Galaxy Tablets & Ipad Air, Mini & Laptops
Offered by WFY-MALL
Price: $28.99
4 used & new from $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for someone heading off to college.. works well, amazingly loud, a bit too much treble, March 24, 2015
I received a sample unit in exchange for an honest review, and frankly I was a little nervous as I opened the box. "It's so small, it's going to sound like an old AM radio" I thought. I looked for directions... none. So the out of the box experience wasn't great. Then I noticed the very real-looking plastic wood finish and found myself tapping it to confirm it was plastic and not wood.... I couldn't quite believe my eyes. It comes with a micro USB cable for charging.

It paired quickly with my iPhone - no password needed - and within minutes it was playing music from the phone.... and it was LOUD... I was surprised this little speaker could fill up an entire room with loud music. Of course, there's not much bass response, so you're not going to rattle the windows with this thing, but it goes much louder than my laptop speakers. There's a blue LED ring that lights solid blue when it pairs with your phone, and flashes when it is not paired, letting you know it's ready. I found on my iPhone that if I turned it on airplane mode and then back to bluetooth mode, I had to click "connect" again on the menu -- it did not connect automatically.

One pet peeve...as of this writing the "list price" is almost $80 and it's on "sale" for $28.99. This is nowhere near the quality of a Jawbone bluetooth speaker for example -- for $25 it's a very good little speaker, but at $80 you would feel ripped off.

There are buttons on the side which allow you to control volume, as well as skip ahead and skip back a song. And you can also use it as a speaker phone, though I'm not sure why you would want to...but if you're listening to music, the music does stop and you can talk and listen via the speaker.

The sound quality is decent but at higher volumes it does become a bit "tinny"... At $19 this would be a screaming bargain... at almost $30 they are pushing it a bit.

Overall a good, compact speaker which works well and fills up a room with <loud> music.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, feel free to ask in the comments and I will do my best to answer them.

Head & Shoulders Itchy Scalp Care With Eucalyptus 2-In-1 Dandruff Shampoo And Conditioner 23.7 Fl Oz
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $14.02
8 used & new from $8.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the eucalyptus??, March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the past few weeks, I have tried and reviewed several Head & Shoulders products and given them all favorable reviews -- until now. My favorite "scent" is their almond oil version. Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care, Almond Oil, Dandruff Shampoo 33.8 Fl Oz which has a nice, clean scent and no chemical smell.

All the H&S shampoos have the same active ingredient - pyrithione zinc 1%. So basically it comes down to your preference on fragrance. By far, of the 5 H&S shampoos I have tried, this is my least favorite -- the fragrance is like the old H&S of the 80's with that medicinal smell. In fact, "fragrance" comes on the ingredients list way before eucalyptus extract, and that shows... you only smell the artificial fragrance, and it lingers long after you leave the shower.

Sorry, I would recommend their almond oil or tea tree scents, and give a pass to this one. If you want to try something natural for dandruff, try Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo, or Nature's Gate Nature's Gate Tea Tree Calming Shampoo for Irritated, Flaky Scalp, 18-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3). Both are very effective and much better smelling than this bubble gum / chemical combo.

Sorry, can't recommend.

Lutron MSCL-OP153M-WH Maestro CL Single-Pole/Multi-Location Occupancy Sensor and Dimmer, White, , White
Price: $39.56
10 used & new from $33.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Has functioned flawlessly for me for a year... lots of configuration settings for different applications. Great for bathroom!, March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have Lutron Maestro dimmers all over the house and installed this dimmer in our bathroom about a year ago. It has worked flawlessly since then. We use it to control under cabinet rope lighting that softly illuminates when someone comes into the bathroom in the middle of the night to take care of business. It dims "up" the lights to a the brightness that I have pre-set, leaves them on for 3 minutes, dims down to half for one minute to warn you they are going to go out, then fades down. The switch is very configurable - you can even set the amount of light in the room that causes it not to turn on.... in other words, you can have it operate the lights during the day also if you choose. The switch also works manually, of course.

Like all Lutron products, it just works, and their phone support is great if you have a question. Highly recommended.

Any questions, feel free to ask in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them. Hope this helps.

Hologram Gift Bags, 12-pc, All Occasions, Assorted Colors (Bottle)
Hologram Gift Bags, 12-pc, All Occasions, Assorted Colors (Bottle)
Offered by allnet store
Price: $16.88
2 used & new from $16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, heavy paper, nice carrying rope and gift tag. Like the 3-D pinwheel effect on the outside., March 23, 2015
We are always scrambling at the last minute on the way out the door to find a wine bag to take to a dinner party... and usually have just used the last one for the party we went to last.... After yet another repeat of this experience, I decided to buy these bags, and I'm glad I did.... they are well-constructed, thick paper, and look nice... and even have a gift tag hanging from them. They easily support a wine bottle well and have a nice carrying handle (rope). The 3-D effect of the pinwheels in the design makes it appears like the wheels are going in circles as you move the bag around.

Highly recommended.