Profile for Brockeim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 217

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brockeim "Playful Literary Adventurer" RSS Feed (Where the wind blows.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PNY BL8200 PowerPack - Universal Portable Rechargeable Battery Charger
PNY BL8200 PowerPack - Universal Portable Rechargeable Battery Charger
Price: $32.99
4 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Complete Charge, December 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a battery with two USB outlets (PNY BL8200 PowerPack - Universal Portable Rechargeable Battery Charger), allowing the user to charge two things at once.

I tested it using my smartphone and Kindle.

As promised, both items charged completely and quickly.

It is heavier than it looks, but not a big deal. About the size of a classic iPod, it is handy to have along on plane trips where access to electricity might be challenging. This can especially true with international travel where the power sources vary. Or, as a backup in case your power ever goes out.

It charges itself likewise as swiftly, plugging in via a USB/micro cord. Little blue lights tell you when it is fully loaded.

This is my first battery charger, and I thought it might be one of those tech tools that I'd have no use for. To the contrary. It has already helped during a long session at a library, and at a cafe, both where outlets weren't easily accessible.

--Brockeim

GE Lighting 13909 Energy-Smart LED 16-watt, 1600-Lumen A21 Bulb with Medium Base, Soft White, 1-Pack
Price: $25.17
3 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright Light, Good for Reading, December 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have this installed in my reading room where I'm sitting now. I'm finishing up some chocolate, listening to Sergei Prokofiev's "Scythian Suite," and about to begin a cup of afternoon coffee on a brisk December day. It is overcast so I need a light to read. The GE Lighting 13909 Energy-Smart LED 16-watt, 1600-Lumen A21 Bulb with Medium Base, Soft White is meeting my needs.

The installation was no different than any other bulb, and it brightened immediately. In other words, it is a light bulb which is neither too glaring nor too dim.

The box tells me it will last 22.8 years. If it does not last until 2037, I'll report back my complaint and ask GE for a replacement.

Note: This is lighting an entire room, a small home library. It is not suited for a desk lamp. That's not a concern for me, but important to know.

--Brockeim

Rowenta HU5120 Intense Aqua Control Ultrasonic Warm Mist 360 Humidifier with Unique Baby Mode
Price: $186.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and Efficient, Simple to Use, December 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am running the Rowenta HU5120 Intense Aqua Control Ultrasonic Warm Mist 360 Humidifier in my living room. It set up in moments, not counting the waiting time for the water to work its way through the system.

It is quiet. I don't even hear a mild hum.

The water tank filled easily. After waiting the prescribed 10 minutes before turning on, it went to work immediately. This humidifier is an asset to an otherwise dry home.

The steam is clean, and is blown heartily into the room. For all its power, it takes up minimal space and is lightweight.

I love that it monitors the humidity. This means I don't have to guess. It is simple to use from start to finish.

--Brockeim

Remington Products Lithium Powered Rotary Shaver, Get Into The Swing, XR1340GOLF
Price: $178.41
2 used & new from $155.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Not Great, Razor, November 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this with three days and one days stubble (several times), and wondered why the price is so high. The shave was close, but not impressively better than the $30 electric razor I keep in my office.

It does swivel and contour as advertised. While I don't think it changes in how clean the shave is, I do think it speeds up shaving a small amount.

Shaving wet or dry is helping, but this feature is not unique to high-end razors, but the better lower-end ones as well.

The "3-month subscription to next issue" was a nice, but for me, a useless touch. I effectively have this already through the Zinio app my pubic library provides.

To be clear, I received not Get Into The Swing, XR1340GOLF but the Road Warrior, XR1340REBL. The mechanics of the reviewing process requires me to post here. However, it seems the only substantial difference is design-related. I don't golf so it is just as well.

I love the razor. My concerns aren't about quality, but about price. As such, I give it five stars, but with that warning.

Sterling Silver Black and White Cubic Zirconia Alternating Hoop Earrings
Sterling Silver Black and White Cubic Zirconia Alternating Hoop Earrings
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprise Gift, Well-Appreciated, November 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No man can ever say how jewelry will be received. Not ordinary jewelry. Diamonds have a predictable response. They are, after all, a girl's best friend.

These are ordinary earrings, but they were well-received. She loved them.

It was clear to me they were easy to put on and take off. Attractive in the box, and on her ears, they amplified her natural beauty. They hung an inch or so below the ear lobe, neither hidden nor obtrusive.

APLWL USB 2.0 A to Micro B Cable 6FT-TPE jacket-Blue
APLWL USB 2.0 A to Micro B Cable 6FT-TPE jacket-Blue
Price: $5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Length, Looks Good, Works Great, November 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm happy with this. It reaches 2-3 times as far as the one supplied with my phones and other devices. I no longer need to be right next to the socket or position my phone directly adjacent to my computer.

I use to recharge my Kindle, phone, as well as exchange files from my phone to my computer.

The cord itself is sturdy and bright enough to be noticed. I toss into my bag and otherwise treat it roughly. No tangling, no problems.

The micro and USB plugs fit well without any trouble.

There's not much more to expect from a micro-USB cord.

Metrokane 6127 Rabbit Super Aerator, Clear
Metrokane 6127 Rabbit Super Aerator, Clear
Offered by Sur La Table, Inc.
Price: $14.95
3 used & new from $14.40

5.0 out of 5 stars For Better Wines and Beautiful Evenings, November 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are times a bottle of red wine, any red, can be opened and let linger while breathing. There are times when waiting is better those 30 minutes, or a few hours, whatever the given case may require. That is the time best spent in long conversation, looking at a fire, or sitting, smiling.

Tonight was not one of those times. Tonight, the conversation was over before the wine was brought in, after dinner was cleaned up and the last sorbet was scooped from its dish.

It wasn't the first bottle of the evening. That was a Riesling during dinner. This was the second, a Syrah.

Two new glasses. A quick cork extraction. And the Metrokane Rabbit Super Aerator.

It worked best when the bottle was angled high. The bubbles, the tiny bubbles, rinsed through the wine, and the resulting flavor was everything the bottle offered. As for the rest of the wine, just know the bottle was empty before the candle's wax burnt final.

May your night be as deliciously exultant with whatever red you choose. This aerator will help.

BeoPlay A2 - Grey
BeoPlay A2 - Grey
Offered by Bang & Olufsen
Price: $399.00
3 used & new from $371.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Set-up, Great Sound, November 12, 2014
This review is from: BeoPlay A2 - Grey (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay A2 is easy to love. Right now, I'm listening to some interviews and some music. I love it.

Outside of the charge time, it set-up in around 30 seconds. Oh, wait, no, 45 seconds. I had to take out of the beautiful box.

This looks like my old hand-held solid state transistor radio from the mid-1970s, only much bigger.

The sound is much bigger as well, as you would expect. And better. The bass is quieter than you'll hear on a Bose -- I'm particularly pleased with this. This means I can play it louder in my living room without shaking the house.

The design is meant for a stable environment. You won't want this on your boat, but it will be great on the deck.

It's held up for hard rock, classical guitar, blues and studio interviews. The sound is full and balanced, and the B&O Play has ran with it well.

It won't replace your stereo, but when you need to clean the garage or go camping (the kind in a camper, not real outside camping), or even if you just want a great sound at your office, this is a great solution.

--Brockeim

CANON PIXMA MG5620 WIRELESS ALL-IN-ONE COLOR CLOUD Printer with Scanner, Copier and AirPrint(TM) Compatible, Black (Tablet Ready)
Offered by Molly Mazen
Price: $64.99
22 used & new from $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Set-up, So-so Quality, November 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used all-in-one printers. When price and/or space is a factor, they are perfect. Not this one.

I'm not going to go through the strengths of this printer in detail. First off, there aren't many. And, secondly, I think you should avoid this printer. The price is low, it can do a lot. There you go.

The Negatives:
* Set-up was cumbersome. I'm not convinced I set it entirely up properly. The directions start off clearly but then, get confusing when they shift to the printer itself. This was neither obvious nor intuitive. I'm more technical than many and found this frustrating.
* Printer cartridges are small and will require replacement.
* Printer cartridges dripped while putting them in. There are tiny inklets on my instructions.
* A full-color copy of a catalog cover (just under 8x11.5") was wet and warped. The ink was too much for the standard office paper I used.
* Printing itself is complicated if you want to go back to different modes (copy/print/scan, etc.). Frankly, it is a hassle.

Canon makes decent printers. This isn't one of them.

CorLiving TRA-703-T Trinidad Glass TV/Component Stand, Black
CorLiving TRA-703-T Trinidad Glass TV/Component Stand, Black
Price: $120.89
11 used & new from $120.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Construction, Looks Great, November 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like it. It does the job. I wanted an inconspicuous but not unattractive stand to replace an aging table. This stand now holds a small flat screen TV, audio receiver, and ancient DVD player.

TV is not the center of my world and I did not want an entertainment center to dominate my room. The CorLiving TRA-703-T Trinidad Glass TV/Component Stand manages that balance.

Stylistically, it is akin to any basic system you'd find in IKEA. It makes no new ground in design, but that's why the price is low.

I spent 15 minutes putting it together, and that includes undoing it from its carefully packed container. It was that easy. The instructions and parts were clear.

The only downside is that the finish in a few areas was not as good as it could be. No one will notice, but the quality/control people should have caught this before sending it out. I suspect mine is an anomaly and would not worry if I were you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20