Profile for Brockeim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 192

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brockeim "Playful Literary Adventurer" RSS Feed (Where the wind blows.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dixie PerfectTouch 12 oz Insulated Paper Cups - 160-Count
Dixie PerfectTouch 12 oz Insulated Paper Cups - 160-Count
Offered by Clark Star Sales
Price: $18.47
14 used & new from $10.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Coffee and Hope Warm in Lonely Parks, August 19, 2014
Inside my Dixie cup was coffee finished a few minutes ago. It was my solace as I sat alone on a bench in a wooded park. The cup kept it hot from first sip to last gulp, and I suspect keeps any drink as cold as mine was warm. I sat hoping the girl I met the afternoon before would bring the same smile she left with.

An hour ago, I hope she thought, "Sorry, really, I am, but John and I are back together."

Two hours ago, she did nothing. I waited.

Three hours ago, she texted, "Ran into an old friend. He and I are catching up. See you soon."

Four hours ago, she called to say she'd be a few minutes late.

Five hours ago, she emailed to say she was looking forward to seeing me.

Six hours ago, I woke, remembering meeting her 18 hours prior in this park.

"We should walk again," she said. "Same time tomorrow?"

Time passes properly, hour-by-hour, as does hope. As you wait, have a good cup of coffee kept warm by a Dixie cup with an appropriate lid. Time will not stop because of it, but it will be more pleasant as it goes. Be sure the ones you buy have lids as some things should not be spilled.

De'Longhi EDG605RDolce Gusto Circolo Flow Stop Coffee Machine
De'Longhi EDG605RDolce Gusto Circolo Flow Stop Coffee Machine
Price: $171.57

3.0 out of 5 stars More Work Than I Prefer, August 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are two parts to my review. The first part is a four-star view on the coffee itself within the context of what it is trying to accomplish. The second is a two-star reaction to the machine.

In short: I don't mind the flavor for a fun cup of coffee, but find the machine to be more work than I'd like. It's sleek design and red color aren't enough for me to be enthusiastic.

The Coffee
You could say this is cappuccino for dummies, though it is not exclusively foamed milk/espresso mixes. Everything is pre-measured, packed in sealed capsules. Keurig users will find this a familiar process but will enjoy the coffee more. Pop a capsule in, press a button, and a drink comes out.

There are various flavors, but all have that McDonald's cappuccino taste. It is much better than gas station joe, but not what you'll find in mid-level coffee chains like Starbucks.

The Machine
After set-up, you'll find the process frustrating. Mind you, it works just find and accomplishes the task at hand perfectly. Getting there is a bit Rube Goldberg for my tastes. This isn't true for all Dolce Gusto machines, or all De'Longhi. It is true for this one.

To make a straight cup of coffee (not an espresso-based drink like a latte), you put the capsule in, adjust the setting for that particularly drink, and press a button. Easy enough, and setting it uniquely for that drink is a nice feature.

To clean up, you remove the device the capsule is in and dump it into the little bucket they include. That bucket has two parts so that the coffee can drip into the other. There is no reason for this, but adds to the clean-up.

Don't even think of adding water while the machine is going. Instead, you turn it off and remove the water container. It doesn't come off easily. And, it is on the back of the machine. You've got to turn the thing around to manage it.

All of this work isn't worth the pay-off. While it looks pretty, they sacrificed design sensibility to achieve this. There's no way I will do all of this when I'm in a hurry. Enjoy it for what it is: a decent capsule-based single-serve device, but do not expect high-end cafe quality.

De'Longhi EDG605B Dolce Gusto Circolo Flow Stop Coffee Machine
De'Longhi EDG605B Dolce Gusto Circolo Flow Stop Coffee Machine
Price: $179.99
4 used & new from $128.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Coffee is Good, Machine is Not, August 15, 2014

The Coffee
You could say this is cappuccino for dummies, though it is not exclusively foamed milk/espresso mixes. Everything is pre-measured, packed in sealed capsules. Keurig users will find this a familiar process. Pop a capsule in, press a button, and a drink comes out.

There are various flavors, but all have that McDonald's cappuccino taste. It is better than gas station joe, but not what you'll find in mid-level coffee chains like Starbucks.

The Machine

To make a straight cup of coffee, you put the capsule in, adjust the setting for that particularly drink, and press a button. Easy enough, and setting it uniquely for that drink is a nice feature.

Electrolux EL2010A Ergorapido Plus Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Handheld Vacuum
Electrolux EL2010A Ergorapido Plus Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Handheld Vacuum
Price: $119.99
3 used & new from $106.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected - Ready for Mars or Living Room, August 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
* If I had a secret hideout in a tree in the nearby woods, I would want this.
* If I lived on a riverboat, swapping tales with Mark Twain, I would want this.
* If, by some miracle of God or science, I were to travel to a dusty other planet, I would want this.

Should any of these things happen, I am ready because I do have this vacuum. I expected less from it, but am pleased.

Let's remember this is not an industrial vacuum, but a small, adjustable, battery-driven device.

* Despite how light it is, it stands without having to lean it against the wall.
* It sucks well enough for basic cleaning.
* It detaches to be used in the same way a Dust Buster is. This means cleaning dried french fries from under your car seat is easy.
* As it is small, it stores inconspicuously. Mine is next to a vase of dried roses, on the wall near the credenza.

The next time you are on Mars, or you have some crushed potato chips on your living room floor, you will be glad you've got the Electrolux Ergorapido Plus Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Handheld Vacuum.

--Brockeim

Mead Composition Book, Wide Ruled, 9.75 x 7.50 Inch Sheet Size, Black Marble, Bookbound, 100 Sheets (09910)
Offered by Success Deals
Price: $5.30
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide Rule Allows for Quick Writing, August 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Thin ruled composition books have their place. Accountants, college students and people drawing up plans to rearrange their furniture all might find them as useful as they are efficient.

Mead is a great brand, known for notebooks. This traditionally-styled black book will look perfect wherever you carry it.

On an early August morning, however, sitting in a cafe on the west side of a northbound street, I sat with my ordinary wide ruled book with nothing to say. It happens, it's said, to everyone along the way, that the words just aren't there.

Staring blindly out the window, she rushed in and looked at me wantonly. (I'm sorry, but I've forgotten her name.) I could tell you about her beauty and her smile, but she wasn't interested. She saw me, with my empty composition book, and my unused pen.

"I'm sorry. This is awkward. Can I use some paper? Borrow your pen? I just remembered something important."

I nodded. She sat down, took my pen and paper, and looked at me blankly. Here, I would tell you about the color of her eyes, and I could, but she quickly looked at the paper and wrote. She never saw me. Just my paper.

She wrote an address, a sketched map, and slowly drew a castle with a turret. She used the entire page, carefully tracing the lines printed by the publisher to keep her building straight.

"There!" she declared to me, though I think she met anyone who was sitting in front of her.

"That's the dream I have always had. I saw where it should be. A bungalow is there now. Thanks." Before I finished my espresso, she was gone with the page torn.

I still have the notebook, with the first page missing. It has since been littered with random journal notes, some of which are my own sketches of her. Buy your own, fill it with it your dreams and memories, and have it ready when a beautiful woman asks to borrow a sheet.

Clear Blue Plastic Trigger Spray Bottle Flowers Plants Water Sprayer 530ml
Clear Blue Plastic Trigger Spray Bottle Flowers Plants Water Sprayer 530ml
Offered by uxcell
Price: $6.17
2 used & new from $5.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Refillable Air Bottle Exceeds Expectations, June 19, 2014
No longer will I suffer in places without air so long as I carry this handy, refillable air sprayer. Slip one into your handbag and never think, "I wish this place had more air," again.

As often as I spray air wherever required, the bottle self-refills. As such, it is always ready to replenish any reasonable circumstance with necessary air.

It squeezes easily with a large enough lever, providing an infinite number of bottles of instant breath.

You will not be dissatisfied. It can be filled with things besides air, like water, when you need that extra burst of freshness only a splash can offer. The price is right: buy two and keep one at the office for those times when your coworker seems to suck the life-giving oxygen from your next meeting.

Skip Hop Central Park Outdoor Blanket, Chevron
Skip Hop Central Park Outdoor Blanket, Chevron
Price: $44.99
5 used & new from $44.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Not Great, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have other multi-use bags. They don't amount to much. Unfortunately, this serves no better purpose.

In short, it doesn't insult as well as I expected, or have as much room as I thought. It packs well and is light to carry, and unfolds well on the lawn.

It is clean, attractive, but not amazing. If you must have an all-in one, this will do. If you can do well to have a separate cooler, blanket and bag, you're better off.

Savora Pizza Wheel, Persimmon
Savora Pizza Wheel, Persimmon
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Excellent Cutter, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A pizza wheel does one job. Or it doesn't.

The "Savora Pizza Wheel" does that one job: it scores and cuts pizza.

Unlike many pizza wheels, this one has a good hand-feel. It is weighty enough to remain stable through a thick standard pizza. It isn't big enough to handle deep dish, but for day-to-day pizza, whether store bought or from a pizzeria, the job will be done well.

It's sharp, handles well.

Simple as that.

--Brockeim

Bankers Box File Storage Box with Lift-Off Lid, Letter/Legal, 12 x 10 x 15 Inches, White, 4-Pack (0070329)
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Way to Store Important Papers and Love Letters, February 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A box is never a box. I suppose there are people who collect such things for the sake of owning a box, but otherwise, a box is about what it stores.

The box constructs quickly and easily. You need to know that.

Ordinary files fit efficiently into the boxes. That's important.

It is sturdy. This matters.

And it can hold thousands of letters from a love gone by, poems she'll never know were written to her, and doodles she scribbled that are too precious to throw away. This is why you buy the box.

May your Bankers Box hold your financials and your memories from now until eternity.

Black & Decker CM4000S 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
Black & Decker CM4000S 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
Price: $39.99
6 used & new from $33.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Average Enough, But Not Overwhelmed, January 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker by Black & Decker gets the job, and does everything as advertised. It fills the middle spot between entry level level and sturdier drip coffeemakers.

I found no problem with the taste of the coffee.

A negative is it can be a bit drippy when lifting the top to clean the basket. Water is difficult to poor in.

I had hoped to use this in my office, but instead, I'll just pull it out when I have parties and require a decaf pot.

--Brockeim
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 11:03 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20