Profile for Brockeim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 244

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brockeim "Playful Literary Adventurer" RSS Feed (Where the wind blows.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pre de Provence Soap Shea Enriched Everyday 300 Gram Extra Large French Soap Bar in Beafutiful Gift Box- Pierrevert
Price: $16.99
9 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle on My Skin, Warm to My Heart, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Pre de Provence soap is luxurious even while in the box. More than the beautiful box, the soap has a scent unlike any of the standard Bed Bath and Beyond fare. Strong and textured, the scent alone should require a lengthy article.

The box, too, is as you see. It is, in fact, as I saw on my mother's shelf in the bathroom. It was not my father's shelf. He was too practical to have a shelf for soaps set there just for looking. He was a Dial man, unscented. A good man, but a man with little style.

My mom traveled to France where she apparently encountered Pre de Provence soaps and was so enamored, she brought a small box of this home. Its scent, just as mine now, filled the room. For her, Pre de Provence represented all she dreamed France would be. Elegant, ornate and sensual. She wasn't one to travel, but France was among her dream trips, and this one she took. She had this box of soap unopened for over 20 years.

I love the soap. It is kinder on my skin than any I have had the pleasure to use. But the box will remain, reminding me always, of my late mom.

May you find this soap as gentle to your skin and as warming to your heart as I have.

Ultimate Body Press Wall Mount XL Pull Up Bar
Ultimate Body Press Wall Mount XL Pull Up Bar
Price: $129.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Assembly Tricky But Works Well, June 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A pull-up bar is a simple device. It only needs to be high enough, and far enough from the wall enough, and wide (right-left) enough for the user to lift themselves in a variety of ways. The rest is up to you.

What makes a good one though, is more that. How easy is it to construct? How durable is it? Is the metal on the pull-up the right texture and circumference to enable a good grip?

This one gets reasonably good marks in all cases except the ease of construction. You'll need to be comfortable with a power drill as you'll need mount this into wall studs. While that's not expert carpentry, it is new to many people. You, I have no doubt, know someone who can help get this done.

It looks good. The white support brackets fade against a white drywall. It is there and hardly disappears, but it is less obvious.

Note: The shipping company came back an hour after dropping off the box. The box was delivered extremely beat up with the pull-up poking out maybe six inches. The driver found the packet of bolts and such in his truck. The thing itself is fine, but had it not been for a sharp-eyed, intelligent driver, I would have had to recycle the whole thing.

Happy chinning!

Viva Sol Premium Bocce Ball Set with Wooden Case
Viva Sol Premium Bocce Ball Set with Wooden Case
Offered by PlumStruck
Price: $109.99
3 used & new from $96.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, Yet Traditional Set, June 10, 2015
This review is from: Viva Sol Resin Bocce Set (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I grew up surrounded by second generation Italians who learned to play from their parents, uncles and grandparents. Any gathering would have a game going on, usually oiled by wine and beer.

I learned this deceptively simple game is hard to master. Throwing the ball takes no skill. Landing the ball as intended is where it gets tricky. While the rules are not complicated, strategies can be depending on the skill level of each player.

This set is made of resin, though bocce balls can be made of a number of materials. Unlike the gray balls of my youth, these have a Mediterranean tone with pastel yellow, blue green and coral: two ball each, plus a white pallino (that's the one about the size of a golfd ball).

The balls hold well, being heavy enough, but comfortable as well.

The two-toned wooden box is beautiful, the sort which could last many years.

My picnics will never be the same.

Bakelicious Adjustable Rolling Pin, Multicolored
Bakelicious Adjustable Rolling Pin, Multicolored
Price: $27.87
4 used & new from $21.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, June 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to bake. Bakers will like this. I do.

The idea is simple. Each of the colored discs is a different size and those sizes correspond to whatever thickness you'd like to roll the pastry. It does that.

The downside is that it doesn't have the feel of solid wood. The handles roll independently from the pin. I grew up baking old school, pushing it with my palm and thumb. Even still, I like the convenience.

A p‚tissier (specialized pastry baker), with a higher production and skill set won't want this. They are experienced enough to know how hard to press. It is intended for the occasional baker, not the pro.

Omron HJ-327T Alvita Wireless Activity Tracker, Light Green
Omron HJ-327T Alvita Wireless Activity Tracker, Light Green
Offered by KMO Commerce
Price: $26.42
9 used & new from $21.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Set-Up and Use, May 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My perspective going into this: I walk more than average people. I walk to and from places. When I'm on a social call, I get and walk. If we are together, I prefer that we walk and talk. I pace atop all of that. There's no intentional health reason for this though it is most certainly a good thing. When I received the Omron HJ-327T Alvita Wireless Activity Tracker, I looked forward to tracking how much I actually walked. I had and have no intention of changing my voracious walking, but I was simply curious about how many steps I accumulated day-to-day. I thought too it might be interesting to compare how I felt to my walking pattern. Did I feel good on a day I walked more?

Naturally, I was excited. Now I am disappointed.

The Omron HJ-327T Alvita Wireless Activity Tracker does everything it says on the box. It is effectively weightless. You'll forget you have it. The displays reads easily enough. And the app (it will not work without the app) offers plenty of analysis about your walking. All good? No.

The set-up, to say it clearly, was a pain in the neck. Just getting the battery in took five minutes to set it just right. I downloaded the app into my Android. Even entering my sign-up info wasn't easy as there wasn't enough room for it to display (I have a large smart phone, so size, in this case, did not matter). Pairing it to the device took an inordinate amount of time, much of which I was not sure I was doing it correctly. I have a goodly number of Bluetooth devices paired. Knowledge of the related tech wasn't an issue.

To turn the display on, you need to shake it. Unfortunately, it takes several seconds before it turns on so there's more, "Did I do this correctly?" Then it turns off within 20 seconds.

If I were to redesign this, I'd add a manual on/off button. This might make it slightly bigger but there's more than enough room to add a an ounce.

I'm giving it three stars because it does work. It lost two stars because of how much of a pain setting it up and using it is.

Bounty Paper Napkins, White, 400 Count
Bounty Paper Napkins, White, 400 Count
Price: $5.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Dabs Everything from Lipstick to Wine to Tears, May 17, 2015
These can wipe away the tears of lover saying good-bye, the smudge of forbidden lipstick on your neck, or the remnant of wine on your lips. They cannot sop up a broken heart. No napkin can.

These are inornate. Do you really need art on a napkin which will live its usefulness for only moments?

There's nothing spectular about them. No plastic backing or triple-ply features. Mostly, a napkin is meant to dab, and the Bounty Paper Napkins dab as well as any.

These are what I use.

50 8oz White Paper Cups Made in USA
50 8oz White Paper Cups Made in USA
Offered by Mazel Group
Price: $9.49
3 used & new from $8.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds Coffee Perfectly, May 6, 2015
Tension released crushing the empty white cup and tossing it into my fireplace as I waited for her to show. She never did, but I thought she would. In all, I burnt five cups. Too many and not enough. They each held eight ounces, though I probably had no more than four ounces.

You'll find these stackable cups are everything you expect. Worth your purchase.

"Come to my place for coffee," I texted to her. We flirted then across the cafe all evening as she sat with my friends and I sat with mine. The night was nothing less than remarkable. We never spoke beyond smiles and raised eyebrows.

I had a meeting at 11:00 the next morning, but from 8:00 until 10:30, I was free, so I texted her. I followed with my address. She never texted back, but I thought she nodded. I know she nodded. I was sure she nodded.

At 8:00 precisely, I started the coffee, and within minutes, I was sneaking a first cup while the rest still brewed.

I finished my first cup, then crumpled it. The fire consumed it quickly. Then another and another. She still didn't show, and I presumed traffic was the cause. I didn't know how far she lived, but held to any hope I could.

When 9:30 passed, I knew well enough only I'd be drinking coffee that morning.

May your white paper cups hold all your hot beverages. Mine did.

--Brockeim
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2015 9:42 AM PDT

All-Clad Textiles Premium Collection Heavyweight 100-Percent Cotton Twill and Silicone Oven Mitt, Pewter
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Like It Hot (But Wear A Glove), May 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Some endure the heat when pulling food out from the oven. They do the finger dance when lifting something sitting upon aluminum foil. And sometimes, they drop the food, burn their fingers, and otherwise make a good thing bad. Don't do that.

Some like it hot. They should. There's nothing like the graceful smells from fresh baked bread or a simmering tomato sauce, or the easy flow of dripping cheese or melted chocolate. But wear a glove. Protection will keep you and your food as they should be.

This glove is like any other glove on the market, except that it has little rubber ridges on the face so that the pot or pan doesn't slip. You'll get a better grip.

I used it already making salmon and pizza, as well as some Muhammad Ali-style one-fisted shadow boxing in my kitchen.

It's a good glove you can use in your kitchen for cooking or pretend boxing.

WORKSHOP Wet/Dry Vacs WS0401VA Portable Wet Dry Shop Vacuum for Auto
WORKSHOP Wet/Dry Vacs WS0401VA Portable Wet Dry Shop Vacuum for Auto
Offered by Wayfair
Price: $85.99
2 used & new from $85.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible for Home Use, May 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't know what to expect. Or, rather, I thought I did. I expected something sturdier than my main floor vacuum in a less attractive, more industrial-looking unit. It's that, and more.

What it does is simple: It vacuums wet or dry areas, and can blow just as hard. How hard? It sucks amazingly well. When I used it against my stairs, in that impossible to clean perpendicular spot where the carpeting corners such that dust gathers, but never leaves -- that spot -- I thought it did a great job. When I opened the bin where the dust collected, I saw it went beyond great, and sucked in far more dust, crumbs, hair than I realized.

Set-up was brisk. Everything attached as easy as a standard vacuum. Cleaning the bin was likewise quick.

It is a good size for me. Hardcore users, like someone regularly doing carpentry or other some-such, may prefer a larger model. Me? I'm happy with it, and will make good use of this during spring cleaning.

--Brockeim

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse (910-004337)
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse (910-004337)
Price: $99.99
15 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mouse I've Owned, April 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This might be the 30th mouse I've owned, or primarily used due to a job or project. I'm making that number up, as I really have no idea. It could be higher. My point is that I've used many-a-mouse.

On both a laptop and desktop computer (Windows), I found it easy to use. With both, I tried it on glass and wood surfaces with no difference noticed. Charging was quick. They say 4:00, but I didn't pay attention. I can say 30:00 for sure.

Bluetoothing it was a flash, as was, as you'd expect, hooking it up the old fashioned way.

I am not a hardcore gamer who will probably appreciate the features more, but even still, I'm impressed. Took a bit to get used to the thumb roller, but it is handy.

My only criticism is that it felt big in my hand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20