Profile for Brockeim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 252

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brockeim "Playful Literary Adventurer" RSS Feed (Where the wind blows.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rapid S060 Omnipress Stapler, Black/Red (5000591)
Rapid S060 Omnipress Stapler, Black/Red (5000591)
Price: $30.67
7 used & new from $27.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Better Stapler, July 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are a couple requests we make of staplers:

1) Does it staple?
2) How many pages at once?
3) Is it easy to load?
4) Does it staple quietly?
5) Does it staple cleanly (no pointy things on the other side?)

In the case of the Rapid S060 Omnipress Stapler, the answer is yes to all five questions. Well, except for #2, which isn't a yes/no question. In the case of how many, the answer is, "Nothing extraordinary." That is, just as many pages as another stapler this size. That's good enough, though, as there are heartier staplers for the big jobs, and, really, if it gets to that many pages, consider some other form of binding.

Anyway, it is a good stapler that doesn't require, as some do, slamming to get the job done. In fact, you can staple with one hand.

The red has to go. It looks silly as if part of the stapler's inner workings are exposed, and this is one of those sorts of things in which boring black would be a better choice. However, since it is an excellent device and not a fashion statement, I'm happy to give it high marks.

--Brockeim

Philips M1MKIIBO/27 Fidelio M1 MKII Premium Headphones with In-line control and mic switch between music and calls and stitched fine leather, Black/Orange
Price: $234.63
2 used & new from $219.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible: Efficient Size, Excellent Sound, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love these. They are smaller, not going full around the ear, but somehow remain tight. No leakage in or out. At least not so much that I noticed.

Right now, I'm listening to the 1812 Overture and a number of other popular classical pieces. These headphones are delivering high, low, and bass deliciously, as well balanced as any headphones I've owned (I have 4-5 higher-end sets).

The cord is relatively short but I don't mind. I'm usually either listening via my iPod or laptop.

It has an inline switch in case a call comes in while you are getting your jam on. That's especially handy for those of you who have loaded your phones with music.

The phone heads are small, as is the entire piece, meaning it can be more easily tossed into a bag when you travel. Keep this in mind if a long train or plane ride is in your future. Myself, I'll be using these are work. No worries about knocking it about, as it comes with a nifty carrying bag.

George Foreman GFO200S Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill, Silver
George Foreman GFO200S Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill, Silver
Price: $88.90
21 used & new from $68.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended, July 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's one of those great ideas not yet finished on the engineering side of production.

It looks good. The brand is well-known and trusted. The principle of the grill is smart and healthy. And, really, if George Foreman, one of the greatest boxers ever gave his thumbs up on this product, it must be good.

Except it isn't.

Set-up was easy. All you'll need is a Phillips screwdriver.

The initial meal on George Foreman GFO200S Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill was some standard hamburgers. I chose this because this is a common grilling food, and produces enough grease to see if the draining aspects worked well.

Cons:
* It never felt stable even on a flat surface when in grill mode.
It stands on a two-piece hollow metal pole which is attached to a several-piece plastic base. As it rests on the top, it can still spin even though it seems to lock in place. This is dangerous as both the cooking plate and grease are extremely hot.

* This is a three-handed device. 1) Hold the top of the grill open when flipping the burger. 2) Hold the grill to ensure if doesn't move or tip. 3) Flipping the burger itself. While I am impressively capable in many ways, I'm still limited by my two hands.

* Flipping burgers is tricky. Because of the nature of the grill surface, getting the flipper under the meat isn't easy. The meat slides around. I hand to use tongs which is not good for burgers (squishes them).

* Hard to clean. The cooking plate, that is, that main grill, comes off the stand. However, when I brought it inside, I discovered because it is so large, finding counter space was a challenge. And the heating surface itself cannot be removed and thereby placed in the dishwasher.

* It doesn't remove fat as well as other George Foremans. At least, a lot of burger fat was left on the heating surface.

* My burgers tasted like they were cooked in a pan. They were still greasier than if cooked on a real grill. I expected it to lack the smoky taste, but I hoped for something better than pan-cooked burgers.

I'm giving it two stars because it still is useful as a large table-top cooker, even for outside cooking. However, if you are looking for a real outside grill, shop elsewhere. Sorry, George, I love you, man, but this grill isn't cookin'.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Dart 8J8 3.2" Top and 2" Bottom Diameter, 3.5" Height, 8 oz White Foam Cup (2 Packs of 25)
Offered by A World Of Deals
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Must Use Styrofoam, Use This One, July 20, 2015
No one serves good coffee in a cheap cup, but sometimes, any port in a storm, as they say. This one held hours-old Hills Brothers, barely warm enough, but tasted burnt. There wasn't enough sugar or powdered cream to mask its awfulness,

Not all meetings provide great drip coffee. Do not offend a guest by rejecting your host's hospitality. Note, though, I only accepted a half cup. Just enough to tide me over.

This was at a meeting in the center of town, in a bright room in a building well over 100 years old. We discussed a deal that went beyond favorable for my household. A few papers were signed, and we both were sure we received the better end of the arrangement. I needed coffee to stay alert to the details.

I am not a fan of coffee in Styrofoam. The environmental issue is part of it. My personal concern is that the chemicals may infuse into the hot coffee, hurting flavor and health. But this one is as good as the rest.

--Brockeim

14K Yellow and White Gold Double Heart "Mom" Necklace, 18"
14K Yellow and White Gold Double Heart "Mom" Necklace, 18"
Price: $176.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, Attractive Necklace, July 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a "love it or not" sort of necklace. It says "Mom" on it, so the market is clear. The front is a fluid double overlapping heart signifying the love between mother and child. "Mom" is in silver script in the gold heart. From a reasonable social distance, the letters are indiscernible.

The chain is very delicate and easily tangled, so take care as you wear and store it.

They didn't waste money on packaging. The necklace came in a long, thin plastic bag, much like a Zip-Loc. It was in a tiny tied bag, and it was inside a cardboard box.

Overall, it is a subtle, attractive necklace, wearable daily as well as nicer events.

--Brockeim

SteelSeries Siberia P100 Comfortable Gaming Headset for Playstation 4, PlayStation 3
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $46.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Inexpensive Headphone Set, July 10, 2015
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The fit is comfortable, but it isn't sealed. Sound from outside of the headphones will come through through gaps in the bottom rear.

The cord is relatively short. This means you can essentially play or listen on your laptop, or will need an extension.

The bass is clear. I tested some bass-driven songs, like Techtronic's "Pump Up the Jam," with good results.

To hear how it balanced bass and high end, I tested a number of Michael Jackson songs, like "Smooth Criminal." Satisfactory, though it occasionally sound tinny. For games, this will be fine.

This is a miked device. You can make calls and otherwise interface with others. The right ear cover serves as on-off. It is not impressive, but workable.

At the price, this is a great find. It is a solid extra, toss-around headphone set. Don't expect it to deliver incredible sound, but remember it wasn't intended to.

--Brockeim

Tuxton AMU-081 Vitrified China Modena Stackable AD Cup, 3 oz, 2-1/2", Pearl White (Pack of 36)
Price: $129.24
3 used & new from $129.24

5.0 out of 5 stars For Hot Espresso and New Hope, July 9, 2015
On a noisy sidewalk tonight she sat on a rusty bench. She sat there waiting for a stranger who never came. I stepped outside the cafe with my espresso to take a call. Unexpectedly disconnected, I sat next to her, and she mistook me for the man who never came.

We introduced ourselves:

"Brock."

"Nancy."

The next hour, we realized we didn't know each other, had no mutual friends, and neither of us was sure how this particular cafe became part of our evening plans. She's a florist, I learned. She learned that I am not. We talked then of other things.

And in that hour, the cafe closed and shut off its lights. It was time to go.

"May I call you?"

She said yes, and handed me her card, beige cardstock covered in vintage-style flower illustrations. Tonight, those flowers rest in my cup, waiting for tomorrow.

May your cup be always filled with espresso and new hope.

Crescent DB16 16-Inch Adjustable Pry Bar, Nail Puller, Red/Black
Crescent DB16 16-Inch Adjustable Pry Bar, Nail Puller, Red/Black
Price: $28.97
24 used & new from $18.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Pry Bar for DIY, Not Contractors, July 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are times when you must pull a nail. Hard. Or pry some piece of wood. With aggression. Rip out old boards with pleasure.

More seriously, this is handy around the house. It does a surprising number of things. Or, rather, a few things can be applied lots of ways. Whether pulling big nails or creating a wedge, this is the muscle you need. It works as a crow bar as well.

It can be adjusted in 5-1/2 inches in 1/2-inch increments, but the button is hard to use with work gloves. The contractor won't tolerate that as much as we DIYers.

Otherwise, grab one if you have a number of odd jobs.

--Brockeim

Pre de Provence Soap Shea Enriched Everyday 300 Gram Extra Large French Soap Bar in Beafutiful Gift Box- Pierrevert
Price: $16.99
10 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle on My Skin, Warm to My Heart, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Pre de Provence soap is luxurious even while in the box. More than the beautiful box, the soap has a scent unlike any of the standard Bed Bath and Beyond fare. Strong and textured, the scent alone should require a lengthy article.

The box, too, is as you see. It is, in fact, as I saw on my mother's shelf in the bathroom. It was not my father's shelf. He was too practical to have a shelf for soaps set there just for looking. He was a Dial man, unscented. A good man, but a man with little style.

My mom traveled to France where she apparently encountered Pre de Provence soaps and was so enamored, she brought a small box of this home. Its scent, just as mine now, filled the room. For her, Pre de Provence represented all she dreamed France would be. Elegant, ornate and sensual. She wasn't one to travel, but France was among her dream trips, and this one she took. She had this box of soap unopened for over 20 years.

I love the soap. It is kinder on my skin than any I have had the pleasure to use. But the box will remain, reminding me always, of my late mom.

May you find this soap as gentle to your skin and as warming to your heart as I have.

Ultimate Body Press Wall Mount XL Pull Up Bar
Ultimate Body Press Wall Mount XL Pull Up Bar
Price: $119.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Assembly Tricky But Works Well, June 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A pull-up bar is a simple device. It only needs to be high enough, and far enough from the wall enough, and wide (right-left) enough for the user to lift themselves in a variety of ways. The rest is up to you.

What makes a good one though, is more that. How easy is it to construct? How durable is it? Is the metal on the pull-up the right texture and circumference to enable a good grip?

This one gets reasonably good marks in all cases except the ease of construction. You'll need to be comfortable with a power drill as you'll need mount this into wall studs. While that's not expert carpentry, it is new to many people. You, I have no doubt, know someone who can help get this done.

It looks good. The white support brackets fade against a white drywall. It is there and hardly disappears, but it is less obvious.

Note: The shipping company came back an hour after dropping off the box. The box was delivered extremely beat up with the pull-up poking out maybe six inches. The driver found the packet of bolts and such in his truck. The thing itself is fine, but had it not been for a sharp-eyed, intelligent driver, I would have had to recycle the whole thing.

Happy chinning!