Profile for T. Jackman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Jackman RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Goblin Emperor
The Goblin Emperor
by Katherine Addison
Price: $19.70
54 used & new from $13.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated. These five star reviews are smoking crack., August 27, 2014
This review is from: The Goblin Emperor (Hardcover)
While the plot is straight out of Tom Clancy's Executive Orders, I thought the idea was interesting enough for a read in the fantasy setting.

I had several problems with this book:

1) Boring - The main character is just so nice, so bumbling, and constantly asking everyone for forgiveness (and then it is constantly pointed out that he shouldn't since he is the emperor). There is hardly any drama. There are two or three mildly exciting "action" sequences but they last a few pages and then you deal with pages and pages of the main character telling everyone they aren't to blame and asking for forgiveness some more. Even something as potentially interesting as finding his future empress is handled in a few pages with an anti-climactic vote by his ruling council.
2) Fantasy setting is arbitrary. This isn't a huge nit-pick, but there is almost no point in making him a half-goblin / half-elf, other than to enable him to constantly internally monologue that he hates his "dark skin." This might as well have been a book about Native Americans. There is nothing "fantasy" about it, and the presence of out of context phrases from our modern era just further serve to make the setting bland.
3) Names. Usually by about page 400 I have a grasp on the names, no matter how random. This book is FILLED with characters that do not matter, and they are introduced 5 or 6 at a time with similar sounding names (like his prospective wives). The end result is that someone is mentioned 50 pages later and I have no clue which cousin's step-sister they are, but I frankly don't care.

Tower Lord (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Tower Lord (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
by Anthony Ryan
Price: $18.31
50 used & new from $14.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Solid Book in the Raven's Shadow Series, July 8, 2014
This book isn't the greatest book of all time, but it is another solid book in the entry. Don't let all these negative ninnies get you down. If you liked the first book, you owe it to yourself to read this one.

Maybe I'm enjoying this book just because these reader reviews are so harsh and my expectations were lowered. If so, thanks negative ninnies.

I do agree that I don't tend to like series that start throwing in a bunch of alternative points of view that take you away from characters you like, but each point of view in this book is interesting and ties into book 1 in a satisfying way.

SPT 2.5 cu.ft Compact Refrigerator Stainless Door with Black Sides
SPT 2.5 cu.ft Compact Refrigerator Stainless Door with Black Sides
Offered by MEDICAL FOR YOU
Price: $172.50
25 used & new from $120.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Died three months after I bought it., January 2, 2014
Fridge was working fine for three months and then it got real noisy and died on me. Not happy about having to deal with returning a heavy object to Amazon.

UPDATE:

They sent me a new one and I had free return shipping for the old one. So far so good, but I hate it when stuff like this breaks so fast.

Megapro 211R2C36RD 13-In-1 Ratcheting Driver, Red
Megapro 211R2C36RD 13-In-1 Ratcheting Driver, Red
Price: $29.24
7 used & new from $28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class, November 27, 2013
Kind of pricey, but well built. One of the best features is the independently rotating cap on the bottom that allows you to press and turn the end driver without it digging into your skin when twisting it like you do on a regular (lower priced) ratcheting driver.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes - PS4 [Digital Code]
Lego Marvel Super Heroes - PS4 [Digital Code]
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Lego game + digital convenience = win., November 27, 2013
Great game. I love digital because I will own this game long after I would have lost or scratched up the disk version and I don't have to worry about swapping disks out to play another game.

Better than the average Lego game.

Pancakes for Breakfast
Pancakes for Breakfast
by Tomie dePaola
Price: $6.29
113 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Pancakes for Breakfast (Paperback)
This book has no words, just so you aren't surprised. But it doesn't need words because the pictures tell the story all by themselves. My 3 year old loves this book because he can "read it by himself."

Reliable Sensor Velocity V200 Compact Vapor Generator Steam Iron
Reliable Sensor Velocity V200 Compact Vapor Generator Steam Iron
Offered by Wayfair
Price: $169.00
23 used & new from $160.55

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this iron, October 22, 2013
I am a quilter and I use my iron daily. This iron was okay but definitely not worth what it cost.

Pros:
- It looks very nice and has a great design
- If you are pressing a large piece of fabric or item of clothing, the steam function works great and has continuous steam
- It automatically turns off after sitting idle for a few minutes which is great for me since I am constantly forgetting to unplug it
- The sole plate makes the iron glide very smoothly
- I had absolutely not spitting or leaking with this iron
- It comes with a large carafe to fill the water tank and the water tank is big and lasts for a long time

Cons:
- The steam did not work consistently. When I am pressing seams I need to use steam every few seconds and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't
- Even on the maximum temperature, the iron did not get hot enough
- There is no steam burst button. I generally only need steam for a couple of seconds and I would have to push the button to turn it on and then again to turn the steam off. It doesn't sound like a big deal but when you are pressing tons of seams it adds up
- It makes a loud noise when you press the steam button. The steam has its own heating source and it is not quiet!

Even though there are some nice things about this iron, I am returning it and will give another iron a try. This might work well for ironing clothes but did not work well for quilting for me.

Preserve Everyday 16-Ounce Bowl, Set of 4, Midnight Blue
Preserve Everyday 16-Ounce Bowl, Set of 4, Midnight Blue
Price: $6.99
9 used & new from $1.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bowls, October 22, 2013
We bought this for everyday use and they are fantastic. Perfect for cereal and they wash well in the dishwasher. We also have the matching plates and bowls and they are also great.

pediped Flex Natasha Mary Jane (Toddler/Little Kid),Black,28 EU (11-11.5 M US Little Kid)

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Pedipeds!, October 22, 2013
We love Pedipeds and these are no exception. They hold up well and fit my daughter perfectly. My favorite part about this brand is the inserts which allow kids to wear the shoes longer. My daughter has small feet anyway and with the inserts she can usually wear shoes for at least a year which is pretty great for a 5 year old!

Angelina Rainbow Thigh High Socks, #6753, Classic Rainbow One Size
Angelina Rainbow Thigh High Socks, #6753, Classic Rainbow One Size
Offered by TRENDSup Collection
Price: $7.00
5 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my daughter's Rainbow Brite costume, October 22, 2013
I bought these for my 5 year old daughter's Rainbow Brite costume. They were long enough that I was able to cut the top few inches off of the socks, hem them, and pull them over her boots and then use the rest of the sock for her sleeves. They are soft and seem to be good quality and I was very impressed with how bright the colors are.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3