Profile for Joan Szechtman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joan Szechtman "Author of "This Time" and "Loyalty Binds Me"" RSS Feed (Connecticut, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pinzon Heavyweight Cotton Flannel Sheet Set - Queen, Chamois
Pinzon Heavyweight Cotton Flannel Sheet Set - Queen, Chamois
Price: $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleep like royalty, November 20, 2014
These are the warmest, most comfortable sheets ever for those cold winter nights. They've already gone through two wash cycles and there was very little lint in the trap. I like to line dry weather permitting, and these sheets retained their softness.

White Eagle Holographic Silver Rainbow Windsock
White Eagle Holographic Silver Rainbow Windsock
Price: $11.99
10 used & new from $5.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Great woodpecker repellent, November 14, 2014
A woodpecker made Swiss cheese out of a piece of wood siding before hanging the windsock from the overhang. The woodpecker has since moved to a tree, where he belongs.

The Mine (Northwest Passage Book 1)
The Mine (Northwest Passage Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Time Travel/Romance, November 14, 2014
Having just graduated from college in 2000, Joel Smith explores an abandoned mine and emerges in 1941, a few months before the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were engaging and the plot interesting. How Joel managed his situation was plausibly developed and there was just enough happening throughout the story to keep my interest. Most of the story revolved around Joel finding the love of his life decades before he was born. I liked how the author resolved Joel's conflict between wanting to return to his own time and not wanting to abandon his love.
My main quibbles with this book were some consistency issues and not knowing whose head I was in while reading. Most of the story is from Joel's point of view, but there were times where I suddenly found myself in another character's head without a scene or chapter break. This caused a few speed bumps where I had to go back and read through a few paragraphs more than once. The book could stand another edit.
Overall, I think most will find this a fun read, especially if you like time travel.
(Review rounded up from 3.5 stars)
This review originally posted on my blog, Random Thoughts of an Accidental Author.

3 a.m. (Henry Bins Book 1)
3 a.m. (Henry Bins Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Doozy of a plot, November 14, 2014
Henry Bins has a sleeping disorder named after him. Henry sleeps 23 hrs a day and is only awake from 3 to 4 a. m. regardless of the time zone. So in order to have any kind of life, he has to regiment his time very carefully--every second counts. Then one day, his life is turned upside down when he hears a woman scream from the apartment across from his. When he goes to investigate, he finds a dead body.
Despite the improbability of Henry Bins and his disorder, I found it very easy to suspend my disbelief and just enjoy the well-crafted story. The characters were well fleshed and unique and the plot was a doozy. So kick off your shoes, leave your skepticism under a rock, and enjoy the read.

Love Beyond Time (A Scottish Time Travel Romance): Book 1 (Morna's Legacy Series)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasure., July 30, 2014
Confession--I'm partial to time travel stories, so I tend to forgive some historical errors and eye rolling scenarios. I did find the characters and story sufficiently engaging to keep me reading to the end. I wanted to find out what happened and enjoyed it enough to want to read the second book.

A Cautionary Tale: The New Bosworth
A Cautionary Tale: The New Bosworth
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ricardian Satire, May 19, 2014
All Ricardians will delight in the inside jokes and references as enemies past and present get their comeuppance in A CAUTIONARY TALE. Note: to get the most out of this short story, one should be familiar with Richard III's history. If you're unsure, "look inside" and if you get the opening, you'll get the story.

Even Big Monsters Love Music
Even Big Monsters Love Music
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, October 11, 2013
Pearce's delightful interpretation of this whimsical song appeals to all ages. This is one that I'll be playing again and again.

Miele FJM Synthetic Vacuum Bags and Filters by Filtrete, 5 Bags and 2 Filters
Miele FJM Synthetic Vacuum Bags and Filters by Filtrete, 5 Bags and 2 Filters
Price: $8.79
17 used & new from $5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Bags are sturdy, June 5, 2013
These bags are sturdy and the fitting is well secured and slides easily into holder. The two replacement filters are the same material as old filters and should last until I have to order new bags. Will only know for sure when I'm on my fifth bag. That could take more than a year since I use a Roomba for the bulk of my vacuuming needs.

CR2032 Maxell LITHIUM 5 BATTERIES
CR2032 Maxell LITHIUM 5 BATTERIES
Offered by Best Price Mirror
Price: $2.56
12 used & new from $2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, April 30, 2013
I needed it for my garage door opener and it did its job. Difficult to write a review for something that either works or doesn't. It worked, case closed.

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo series)
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo series)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, March 30, 2013
Let me start by saying although I love science fiction, I'm not a fan of dystopian stories. So when such a novel overcomes my innate objections to this sub-genre, it has to have great characters, narrative, detail that makes it real, and a satisfying denouement. Wool hits all the points.

Howey's character development is most impressive. I'm going to get a tad technical here, so please bear with me. Wool was written in third person limited, which means the only character whose head the reader should be able to see into is the point of view (POV) character for that scene or chapter. Here's an example where Howey added flesh to another character through the eyes of the POV character: "Jahns glanced over and saw that her deputy's gaze had crept toward that dark crook in the hill. He covered his mouth with a fist of sharp knuckles and faked a cough."

Most of all, it was the quality of the writing that allowed me to suspend my disbelief and ignore the some of my objections to the plausibility of the silo "world"--essentially an underground biosphere. I still wonder why Howey didn't use geothermal energy and heating, the best source of power readily available to this underground environment that he created. One thing that made me buy into the author's vision was his attention to detail while leaving enough for the reader to imagine and play with. I felt the reader needed this insight into how the silo could provide a livable environment that would support a viable population for hundreds of years.

Even though most people don't read such things as acknowledgments, I would have liked one, and was disappointed that it was missing from my edition. Perhaps there's one in the print edition.

This is one book that I will read more than once.

Review first posted on my blog, Random Thoughts of an Accidental Author, 3/30/2013

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4