Profile for William A. Smyly > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William A. Smyly RSS Feed (Alabama)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
SimCity: Limited Edition
SimCity: Limited Edition
Offered by Clover Media
Price: $11.50
77 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, March 6, 2013
This review is from: SimCity: Limited Edition (DVD-ROM)
I waited for this game and anticipated its release with almost as much excitement as I did for the Simcity 2000 game when I was a kid....
After playing a while and experiencing many of the problems that other reviewers have had... I have been very disappointed. I've lost work because of server errors and had the game crash two times already after only being able to play a few hours.

The game does look like it might be fun - but it looks like I might wait a week for EA to get the bugs worked out before I try again...

Invicta Women's 6909 II Collection Stainless Steel Watch
Invicta Women's 6909 II Collection Stainless Steel Watch
Price: $54.99
3 used & new from $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good watch for a great price!, February 19, 2013
I bought this for my wife. She loves it. It looks and feels like a $200+ watch at a fraction of the cost. The length of the band is very long, so more than likely you will need to have it resized. Some people may be able to do it themselves and how-to videos may be found online. I recommend taking it to a local jewelry shop and having them do it for you. Call around and ask what each shop charges. My wife had her watch resized for a $15 fee and it didn’t take long at all.

I gave this watch a 4 star rating because it was a recent purchase and while it looks great, it hasn’t really been put to the test yet. I will update this review after she has had a chance to wear it around more.
Feel free to ask any questions.

Pickle-Ball Master Set
Pickle-Ball Master Set
Price: $185.99 - $274.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Starter Set, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Pickle-Ball Master Set (Misc.)
Bought this set for an extra activity at a summer camp for kids grades 2nd - 9th.

I should have shopped around a little more before purchasing this set. I later found other sets that comes with an adjustable stand for the net for the same price. This set includes a net but you must find a way to rig it up. The balls in this set are the only part I like and are well made thick plastic balls that will take the abuse of repeated use.

The paddles were ok. They look and feel thick and sturdy, although the finish over the wood (some type of varnish maybe) is cracked looking. The paddles do function as they should and after a little practice going over the rules, the kids enjoyed playing pickle ball.

There is nothing really wrong with this set, although after trying it out and seeing what other sets are available, I wish I had purchased a different set.

Adult HedBanz Game
Adult HedBanz Game
Offered by The Prime Directive
Price: $20.19
60 used & new from $10.98

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Party Game, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Adult HedBanz Game (Toy)
I got this for a get together of a bunch of college age friends.

It ended up being a little harder than I thought it would be to play for the first time. The first few rounds we didn't have many people correctly guess the word on their "bandz". After a few rounds it became a little easier and everyone was able to ask better clue questions during the question round.

This is one of those games that has a rocky start getting the feel of how it works then is fun for a few rounds and then gets a little old. We did enjoy playing and will probably play again, but I think we had more fun playing Apples to Apples Party Box - The Game of Hilarious Comparisons (Family Edition) when we got together last year.

Little Tikes Tap-a-Tune Xylophone
Little Tikes Tap-a-Tune Xylophone
Price: $14.94
18 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Toddlers, December 18, 2012
I bought this Xylophone for my 2 year old son who loves music.

My wife was a little worried about having just another "noisemaker" toy, but it actually sounds great even when he is just banging away randomly on it.

The one I received was green, not red like the picture, but it still looks great. The striker is attacked to the xylophone by a cord so it won't get lost. There is a handle and wheels on this toy so I assume it could be rolled around. It is so light that my son just totes it around with him and I have yet to see him rolling it. This is a quality toy and should hold up well to repeated use for years to come. I had one similar to this when I was little and the striker was a thin stick with a ball on the end. This xylophone has a newer design striker which has a thicker handle to make it easier to grasp and hang on to.

Be mindful giving as a gift and make sure the parents are cool with another noisy toy. This can be pretty loud, although I don't find it annoying like the sound of the Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Corn Popper Push Toy.

Hip-Hop Tribute to Pink Floyd
Hip-Hop Tribute to Pink Floyd
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $5.21
9 used & new from $1.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tribute!, December 18, 2012
I've liked the songs on this album for a long time. I used to have a subscription based music account that let me listen to songs (Zune). I got rid of my account, but missed these songs, so I decide to try and find the CD and found it here on Amazon.

Bought this at a low price and it is worth every penny. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, although not really a hip-hop fan, but love this whole album. A lot of the songs have a very unique sound, but still contain enough of the pink Floyd space rock sound to make them familiar and enjoyable.

My favorite 2 songs on the album are Money and Comfortably Numb... these are also my favorite Pink Floyd version songs.

If you want to sample the CD before you buy it - look it up on rhapsody. The 30 second sample of Money should be enough to sell you on this whole album.

Neff Men's Fold Beanie
Neff Men's Fold Beanie
Price: $9.99 - $24.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit - Light Beanie, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Neff Men's Fold Beanie (Apparel)
I have owned several different brands of beanies over the years and this one is in my top 5 favorite for everyday wear.

Buying a beanie online is difficult because they are all so different and you don't really don't know how they will fit until after you buy it.

I have a big head and some beanies tend to want to pop off my head or work their way loose as I move around and I end up with the poofy top from it riding up off my head. I like for them to fit snug but not tight and I don't want them pop off my head.

This beanie is great for those with a bigger head that have trouble with other beanies. It is very loose, almost flimsy but stays in place well. The Neff beanie is a lot thinner than many others, but still keeps my ears warm on a chilly day. NOTE: I do NOT think I will wear this one while snow skiing or even if the weather gets below freezing - it is more of a hat for a chilly day type of beanie.

For the price, I like this beanie and plan on buying another one in a different color.

Bluebeards Original Beard Wash with Extra Conditioning Agents (8 Oz.) (1)
Bluebeards Original Beard Wash with Extra Conditioning Agents (8 Oz.) (1)
Offered by Zeebra Zoom
Price: $21.50
9 used & new from $21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Tame the "Wiry" Beard!, December 18, 2012
This product works! I noticed a big difference after only a few days of using it and I like the way it smells.

I've had a short beard for a long time and recently decided to let it grow out beyond being able to use my beard trimmer's highest setting to keep it tamed.

My facial hair is very "wiry" and rough and once I started to let it grow out, it started to stick out in all different directions. I tried washing it and using a few different conditioners (my wife's conditioners for her hair) to try and soften it up, but nothing seemed to do much. This product has helped a lot and I am now able to comb my beard so that "most" of the hairs are going in the same direction and it doesn't look like a "white-trash, birds-nest beard"

I started using this product about a week after I starting to use the All-natural Moustache, Mustache Wax Beard Gloss. I think the combo of this wash and the beard wax has made for softer facial hair.

I would recommend both of these products to anyone that wants to tame their wiry beard.

Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Care Gloss and Conditioner with Organic Leatherwood Beeswax and Essential Plant Oils
Offered by Beauty and the Bees Tasmania
Price: $15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Tame the "Wiry"!, December 18, 2012
I have loved this product. I noticed a big difference after only a few days of using it.

My facial hair is very "wiry" and rough and once I started to let it grow out, it started to stick out in all different directions. I tried washing it and using a few different conditioners (my wife's conditioners for her hair) to try and soften it up, but nothing seemed to do much. After about 2 or 3 mornings of working a little of this product into my beard it has really softened up and is very manageable. I only use a very small amount every day - I'm not trying to style anything with the wax but just get a little conditioning to soften the hair up so I can tame it a bit. I am now able to comb my beard so that "most" of the hairs are going in the same direction and it doesn't look like a "white-trash, birds-nest beard"

The smell of this product is a little strong when you first apply this product (I think it is the Lime, but it has a chemical kind of smell). This smell fades away quickly and doesn't follow you all day. My wife didn't like the smell at first and she said it smelled something like curry seasoning....

It does seem like a lot to pay for a product for a beard which is typically the sign of a lack of care in grooming. I live in the woods on a mountain and have been known to go a few days without a shower, so grooming has never been on the top of my list. I wanted to grow my beard out, but I don't want to look like Jeremiah Johnson coming out of the mountains, this product has worked great.

A few days after I started using this product I also started trying bluebeards beard wash and that has made my facial hair even softer and I no longer consider it to be wiry.
Bluebeards Original Beard Wash with Extra Conditioning Jojoba Oils (8 oz.)

Tribeca Genuine Wood Aviator Headphones, Bubinga
Tribeca Genuine Wood Aviator Headphones, Bubinga

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound - Better look, December 10, 2012
SHORT VERSION:

For a reasonable price you get a great looking pair of headphones, a pair that both sounds good and looks good.

LONG VERSION:

I was looking for a new set of headphones for myself after buying a set of "Beats" for my wife.
I wanted a set that would still look nice even when just sitting out on my desk. These looked great and they were a lightning deal so I went for it.

I like the retro look and feel of these headphones. The description says "genuine Bubinga wood" although when I first got them I thought that the wood grain looked like it was printed on the wood. They were extra shinny when I took them out of the box and this gave the wood a plastic look at first.
I'm still not 100% sure if the wood grain is real - but they still look awesome.

I put them on for a couple of hours and tested them out on various audio samples. My first impression over all is that they are great. They are not the best sounding set I've ever tried - but still very, very good. Deep, rich sounding headphones that you can tell sound a lot better than a cheap pair.
While watching movie trailers, the rich sound that these can produce made me feel like I was actually inside a theater with THX certified sound.
I did get the headphones to buzz a bit when playing songs with a lot of bass on a high volume setting.

These headphones sound about the same as some of the $50-60 pairs I've had - Although I like the way these sound a little more, not sure why yet, they do sound a little different (might be the wood housings)

COMFORT:
These have nice padded triangular shaped ear pads and pivoting heads, although after wearing them for a while I started to get a little "headphone fatigue." The pivot point of the ear piece I think is a little high and causes them to pinch or place most of the pressure on the lower part of the ear piece, instead of evenly distributing the weight across the whole ear. Not terrible, just wanted to note this. These are not as comfortable as my wife's "Beats." So far I think "Beats" are the most comfortable pair I've ever tried, although at a fraction of the cost these Tribecas are almost as good.

FINAL THOUGHT:
I bought these for the look. I like to think that I paid for a quality set of nice sounding headphones and paid a little extra to have them look cool. Maybe that sounds dumb, but I have plenty of black plastic looking headphones that look like clutter on a desk. These look so good they almost make a statement without being plugged in....ok maybe I'm going a little far... bottom line - I'm happy with this purchase and would recommend these to someone else.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 9:50 AM PDT