Profile for G. Hermes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Hermes RSS Feed (Newport Coast, California)

Lowepro LP35252-PEU Nova 170 AW Backpack (Black)
Lowepro LP35252-PEU Nova 170 AW Backpack (Black)
Price: $47.95
34 used & new from $41.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Bag, August 5, 2012
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 170 AW Camera Bag
It comfortably holds a Canon 5D w/ 24-105 attached (and the hood attached) and a 70/200 f/4. The Canon 5d w/ 70-200 f4 will fit as well, but its snug. Love the rain cover, you never know its there, but it is if you need it. Material is durable and its well made. Would recommend.

Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein Unsweetened,  Natural Vanilla, 1.01 LB
Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein Unsweetened, Natural Vanilla, 1.01 LB
Offered by Swanson Health Products
Price: $19.79
11 used & new from $18.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Best out there for the price, May 22, 2012
I was using the sweetened version, but then discovered this unsweetened product. Yes, there is a taste difference...but after a few drinks I have gotten use to it. If I want a "treat" I do half water, half original almond milk and it taste delicious (for a unsweetened protein drink).

The powder mixes "ok" with water, I just use a knife to mix mine. All in all, for what is out on the market in the $15-25 range - I have no complaints.

If you are looking for a delicious and enjoyable drink, look elsewhere, but if you are looking for some protein, calories, nutrients, and essential amino acids to replenish your body after a workout, then don't hesitate to get this product.

Also, my stomach and taste buds are very tolerable of foods, after I finished one tub of the sweetened version I tried the Now Foods Pea protein (b/c I was trying to eliminate sugar from my protein mix). The Now Foods Pea Protein mixed extremely well, it essentially dissolved in the water without any mixing...however, it was the most disgusting chalky taste I have ever had and I don't know if it was physical or mental, but that protein power turned my stomach upside down for a few hours. The next day, I got the unsweetened Lifetime powder and not a single complication. While the Now Foods would be my first choice on paper over the unsweetened Lifetime powder, the Lifetime power is a worthy compromise.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Impressive for $50, May 9, 2012
Really well constructed. Very light and solid construction. A rubber foot, the twist locks are rubber as well (not plastic). It has either a 3/8s or a 1/4 mount for either a camera or tripod head. I put a manfrotto 234rc and it is solid. The top plate is all metal (aluminum it appears) and just has a plastic black covering over it, but everything that connects together, the head to the 3/8 thread, to the top plate, to the top of the monopod is all metal and well constructed.

The teather can be removed as wel if you do not want it, but the strap is made out of leather (or a fo-leather).

Also, not much flex either with the pole extended fully.

Canon VIXIA HF M500 Full HD 10x Image Stabilized Camcorder with One SDXC Card Slot and 3.0 Touch  LCD
Canon VIXIA HF M500 Full HD 10x Image Stabilized Camcorder with One SDXC Card Slot and 3.0 Touch LCD
Offered by Platinumcameras
Price: $938.00
10 used & new from $434.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It, April 20, 2012
I upgraded from a Samsung MX-100...I only use a camcorder occasionally to capture candid moments and family events. So far...completely impressed. I originally was going to get the R300 for $350, but once I found out that Canon ships that camera with the smallest of its 3 batteries (BP-709, BP-718, BP-727) and that other users were getting about 20-30 minutes of video recording with the BP-709, I knew I would have to purchase a second battery. The medium size battery (BP-718) was $75 and the large battery (BP-727) was $110.

Factor a second battery into the equation and your price point is no longer $350, but about $450.

Given that the M500 comes with the medium size battery (BP-718), for an extra $100 it was a no brainer to upgrade from the R300 to the M500. I get incredibly awesome low light performance (the video, at least for someone who just wants to capture occasional indoor scenes, is 1000% usable...very low noise and grain and the colors are true); I get a much better lens and sensor; and I get an shoe accessory (mini).

Also, with respect to the maximum record time on the battery:

I just fully charged my M500, put it in auto mode, set it on the counter and zoomed to the widest setting, then pushed record.
Initially, the M500 display stated I had 1 hour 24 min of battery.
Result, I recorded a full 2 hour and 6 min video clip at full AVCHD MXP quality and the battery displayed 4 min left.

Please note: the zoom never changed, the camera never had to refocus...it was simply stationary on a counter. I would assume constant zooming (and the new IS system having to work) and focusing would decrease the battery life...probably why initially the display stated 1 hour and 24 minutes because it included those factors in its estimated battery life.

Also...you can turn the camera on, push record, then close the LCD screen into the camera (as if you are going to storing it) and the camera keeps recording. The purposes of recording this way are limited, but it is an option, which I would assume would let you record way more than 2 hours and 6 min.

Hario V60 Buono Coffee Drip Kettle, 1.2 L
Hario V60 Buono Coffee Drip Kettle, 1.2 L
Price: $40.34
148 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It, October 28, 2011
I knew what every review said about this product, but I couldn't justify the price. So instead for my pour over (either hario v60 or chemex) I would pour out of a 12 ounce frothing pitcher with a good spout on it.

Let me tell you. The Buono kettle is in a whole different league. The amount of control is amazing. I didn't really think it would make that big of a difference. But I am now a true believer in what all the reviews say. I would almost go as far as recommending saving up to buy this kettle first, then buy your V60 or Chemex pour over brewing device second (not really...but you get what I am saying).

The only comment I would give, the kettle is pretty thin metal. The bottom is not like a regular kettle's thickness. So I hear and think it is fine to put on a gas stove, but since I do not have to, I am going to hold out.

Also the kettle holds a constant temperature pretty well. Starting with a not preheated kettle. I poured boiling water in, put the lid on a 30 seconds later the temp was 206. Once it got down to 203 I started my pour. 2 minutes into my pour my temp was 200 and at the end of my pour it was down to about 198.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2013 5:20 PM PDT

WD Blue 640 GB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD6400BPVT
Offered by PORTABLE GUY
Price: $79.68
8 used & new from $46.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Hard Drive at a great price, December 4, 2010
installed in my 13" mbp...no real significant difference in speed (not faster, maybe a touch slower on startup/app startup than the stock 250 Hitachi, but similar performance w/ lightroom photoshop cs3 running) or vibration...used carbon copy to clone drive, popped in, up and running at the push of the power button...easy upgrade

For what it is...a 5400 rpm drive with lots of storage it performes excellent...does what it suppose to...now if i was heavily running lightroom/photoshop I might want a 7200 rpm drive , but I like the low power consumption and storage

Update: 1 week later
at 1st, upon initial boot up, my battery life seemed to decrease significantly...however after about a weeks use, my battery life has actually increased by about 20-30 minutes.

Without internet/bluetooth on and word open only...with screen brightness at 100% and battery at 100% i get 10 hours 10 min of battery...before I was in the high 9s
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2011 3:10 AM PST