Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Joe Kraynak > Reviews

Joe Kraynak's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joe Kraynak RSS Feed

Generic Oral B Compatible Brush Head Replacement for Oral B (8 Count)
Generic Oral B Compatible Brush Head Replacement for Oral B (8 Count)
Offered by Bilins Inc.
Price: $11.95
2 used & new from $11.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub-par, October 6, 2014
Bristles are softer than the brand name equivalent, so they don't feel as though they're massaging my gums as thoroughly. In addition, the product doesn't stay on the metal shaft as well. I'd return them, but I missed my 30-day window. Won't buy them again. I'd rather pay the extra for what I think is a better product.

Sourdough Starter - Live
Sourdough Starter - Live
Offered by Breadtopia
Price: $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sourdough Starter, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Sourdough Starter - Live (Kitchen)
Just followed the instructions on the package and within a couple days I had enough sourdough starter to bake my first batch of dinner rolls. It expanded and bubbled up a lot after each feeding. The only problem is that I now need a bigger jar! Be sure to visit the Breadtopia website, where you'll find recipes and excellent how-to videos.

Madness: A Bipolar Life
Madness: A Bipolar Life
by Marya Hornbacher
Price: $25.00
114 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally Honest, April 25, 2008
Madness is one of the few personal accounts of bipolar disorder I've read that covers the escalating unfolding of the disorder from such an early age (4 years old) to the present. The book covers just about every aspect of the struggle with bipolar disorder - early failures to diagnose it, misdiagnosis, clueless and competent psychiatrists and therapists, stressors, triggers, the tendency to self-medicate, hospitalizations, hyper-sexuality, the terrible side effects of many of the medications used to treat depression and mania, bipolar and career, alcoholism, self-mutilation, relationship dynamics, lack of insight (not realizing when a manic episode is settling in), and the highly productive and invigorating hypomanias that often convince those with bipolar disorder that nothing's wrong. Her narrative functions almost like a textbook case study of bipolar disorder.

The book has a solid chronological structure that leads the reader through the escalating and exhausting mood cycles Hornbacher experienced. She is a highly skilled writer who keeps the narrative progressing at a quick pace while revealing dazzling insights about the disorder, about people, and about life in general along the way.

What I found particularly helpful about the book is Hornbacher's descriptions of how her mood episodes began so seemingly innocent enough. One day, life seems to be just fine and then over the course of several days, weeks, or months becomes wonderful - everything is clicking and Hornbacher's energy and joy seduces all those around her - and then, just as suddenly, her world crashes in on her. People who haven't experienced this, don't know what it's like. They wonder why people with bipolar disorder can't tell when their moods are cycling or why a loved one didn't step in sooner. I think Hornbacher's accounts can help people gain a better understanding.

As co-author of Bipolar Disorder for Dummies and as someone who's "married to bipolar," I could relate to just about everything in Madness. Hornbacher does an incredible job of taking the reader on the roller coaster ride that is bipolar disorder, revealing the wreckage that bipolar leaves in its wake, and filling those who battle it in their own lives with an appreciation of the positive aspects of the disorder and hope for a better future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2010 12:49 PM PST

What Does Al Qaeda Want?: Unedited Communiques (The Terra Nova Series)
What Does Al Qaeda Want?: Unedited Communiques (The Terra Nova Series)
by Robert Marlin
Price: $9.95
44 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Collection of Al Qaeda Pronouncements, April 24, 2008
I'm interested in what's going on in the Middle East, and I'm always looking for the truth or at least a different perspective. I found Marlin's collection of al Qaeda communiqués to be a valuable resource. Americans are likely to find the contents of these communiqués disturbing. Obviously, al Qaeda wants us out of the Middle East and will stop at nothing to achieve this goal. The book does a good job of letting al Qaeda's leaders say for themselves what al Qaeda wants.

I was a little disappointed that Marlin did not offer his opinion on these communiqués or on al Qaeda in general, but according to Marlin, he never set out to write a polemic. The book consists of a collection of unedited communiqués along with a "brief introduction to each document [that] provides some historical context to aid our understanding of the fundamental issues as articulated by the authors." The purpose of the book is, in the commentator's own words, "to provide a perspective on al-Qaeda's goals through a representative sample of the written demands of Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda network." In other words, Marlin set out to present the facts and allow critical readers to draw their own conclusions.

The book achieves this goal, but I'd still like to know what Marlin thinks.

Personally, I think al Qaeda's leaders are like most megalomaniacs. Unfortunately, the megalomaniacs are fighting for control of the world at the expense of ordinary people like the rest of us - Muslim and non-Muslim. I think any critical reader will conclude from this book that al Qaeda's leadership is intensely and dangerously irrational.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Brown Stains, March 15, 2008
About 9 months ago at my previous dental appointment, I had a lot of plaque buildup, so I decided to start taking much better care of my teeth - brushing after every meal, flossing 1-2 times daily, and rinsing with Crest Pro-Health Oral Rinse.

I soon noticed dark stains on my teeth, especially around the gumlines. My daughter said it looked like I had brown algae growing on my teeth. I never imagined it could be the mouthwash. I wish I could give negative stars, because the product not only did not do what it was designed to do, but it had the opposite effect.

Yesterday, I had the worst dental appointment in my entire life. The hygienist scraped and scrubbed and blasted away at my teeth for an hour. She couldn't believe how badly stained my teeth were. She informed me that I would need to schedule another round of cleaning, so she could finish.

Crest Pro-Health toothpaste has a warning on it, because stannous fluoride is known to stain some people's teeth. The mouthwash has no stannous fluoride and no warning on the label. I emailed a complaint on the Crest website and filed a formal complaint online with the FDA.

If nothing else, this product should have a very clear warning label on it - maybe something like, if you want brown teeth, buy Crest Pro-Health Oral Rinse. I wouldn't give this product even one star.

Manic: A Memoir
Manic: A Memoir
by Terri Cheney
123 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inside Look of What Hypomania and Mania Really Feel Like, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Manic: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Terri Cheney does an outstanding job of describing what hypomania and mania really feel like from the perspective of someone with bipolar disorder - herself. The book intentionally skips around, as Cheney relates some of the most memorable hypomanic and manic incidents from her life.

My wife has bipolar disorder, and many of the situations that Cheney describes ring true with my own observations and the way my wife describes her own manic mood episodes.

Cheney's writing style is superb, bringing each scene to life and moving the book along at a rat-a-tat-tat manic pace. I couldn't put it down.

As co-author of Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
and someone who has a loved one with bipolar disorder, I highly recommend this book. Those who have experienced bipolar mania will find comfort in her words, and friends and family of people with bipolar disorder will gain a deeper understanding and acceptance of their loved ones.