Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Chicago, IL, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910H Black Factory Unlocked International Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910H Black Factory Unlocked International Model
Offered by Mobile Connections
Price: $696.94
37 used & new from $625.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure it has warranty before you buy it., October 3, 2014
October 15, 2014 edit: since the product is now properly labeled with "no warranty", I've made my point and I'm changing my rating back to five stars.

Here's a warning from a Note 2 owner: when you're buying on the internet make sure the model has a US warranty. Less than two years ago I bought an unlocked Note 2 international version on Amazon. Less than a year later the phone started rebooting several times a day due to a known memory chip issue. Samsung didn't want to help me either online or over the phone stating that they don't support that serial number and that I need to see the vendor where I bought it. The online vendor answered my email with a claim I needed to talk to Samsung, so it turned into a fingerpointing match and I was screwed as a customer. So in the bitter end I fixed the phone myself after weeks of internet research by uploading a newer firmware for Austria that had a fix to work around the known memory chip problem, but enough of the geek mumbo jumbo. I am seriously considering buying this phone and I'm sure I will love it, but I won't buy it before making sure it is fully supported with a US and possibly international warranty because Samsung didn't stand behind my Note 2. So, a few days ago I posted a question here whether this model has any US, international, or no warranty, but I STILL received no answers. RED FLAG. If there was a US warranty I'm sure the vendor and the new owners would have rushed to say yes. I got lucky with my Note 2, but not everybody did - browse the internet about Samsung not honoring the warranty on unlocked international Note 2 models bought online in the US and you'll see why I'm cautious. You should be too.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 8:54 AM PDT

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System UAP-3 (Pack of 3)
Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System UAP-3 (Pack of 3)
Offered by SIL MICRO
Price: $189.99
19 used & new from $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Big guns for small change, June 29, 2014
For under $200 of company money I became an enterprise network magician. I set up a management instance on Amazon Web Services and I can now manage the existing and add more units at each of our 20 separate locations - all it takes is internet access and plugging in the server settings into each remote unit, so they receive their configuration and from that moment on I have them under a firm grip. I see the problems, monitor usage stats and I can ban the abusers or slow them down to a crawl (I use the latter), I can have all the units use the same settings, or configure some exceptions and different SSID/security on individual units, have guest (isolated users) and regular network... Amazing value!!!

Smithsonian Glow-in-the-dark Giant Volcano Kit
Smithsonian Glow-in-the-dark Giant Volcano Kit
Offered by Achilles Trade
Price: $20.25
6 used & new from $20.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to punish the parents!, June 29, 2014
This is the second "Smithsonian" toy given to our children this year.

According to our experience, assembling and making these toys provides hours of quality family time, mostly spent in frustration. This giant volcano came with a string packed so nicely that it gets tangled in no time in just a few moves. The not so detailed instructions make it very easy to either get the dual sided tape to stick to itself instead of the cardboard parts, but there are four dual tape pieces and more chances to mess up or misalign the slits on the cardboard, or tighten up the string on one side too hard and rip the tube out. Three hours later, my daughter is crying and my wife and I are blaming each other for not being able to untangle the string. Perhaps one shouldn't expect anything better for the price, but not everything is so bad - this has a perfect use. Buy it to annoy the kid and punish the parents.

Tweezerman Slant Tweezer, Stainless Steel
Tweezerman Slant Tweezer, Stainless Steel
Offered by Quick E Shop
Price: $16.95
23 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It plucks anything, including ingrown hair., May 17, 2014
Great grip and sharp edges for digging deeper when a splinter or ingrown hair is not accessible from above skin - will take care of either thick or thin hair or splinters, or fine nopal cactus needles...

New Life International Spectrum Small Fry Starter Formula 50 Gram
New Life International Spectrum Small Fry Starter Formula 50 Gram
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $8.86
10 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My rainbow fry love it, May 17, 2014
The only food that doesn't stick together or cloud the water! Few weeks after ick destroyed all my lake Kutubu Rainbow fish (after I was stupid enough to buy a small algae eater from a big pet company stores chain) I saw the sole surviving neon chasing something below the surface. It turned out these were rainbow fish fry that survived only because most of the fish died. I didn't even know they were spawning. I moved the neon to a 10 gallon tan and started trying to feed the fry with egg yolk, which looked sad because they kept trying but the particles were too big, then I ordered Spectrum Small Fry Starter formula. While it was being delivered I bought another supposedly powdered fry food at a local small business aquarium shop but the particles kept sticking together so I had to crumble them and the fry didn't seem too interested until the water stream would bring particles back and around. So I kept trying with wheat and oat flour and all that kept them alive till I received this food, which they love. However, the first shipment I received contained a different product (drawing stencils, what the heck?!?) I called Amazon and they quickly shipped another one, expediting shipment to one day for free. It turns it was smart to have a second option, otherwise the fry would have starved to death. This is the first food that makes them come up to the surface immediately after i drop it in (I use a toothpick to pick up small pieces) and although the powder is very small, it doesn't stick together, nor does it dissolve and cloud the water (kind of hard to cloud a 55 gallon tank with tip of the toothpick portions, though)

Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 16GB Gray-Unlocked International Phone
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 16GB Gray-Unlocked International Phone
Offered by One Time Cell
Price: $384.95
29 used & new from $219.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre default speakerphone, but here's the fix, December 15, 2012
EDIT January 6, 2013: I stand corrected about the mediocre speakerphone after figuring out the fix: this phone has an extra volume feature that will make it louder either in speakerphone, headset, and standard mode. To enable this you have to go to call settings in the phone app and select the "Use extra vol. for calls" check box. After this is enabled you will have an "extra volume" button in the right middle of the screen (round, no title with loudspeaker on it) displayed once the call is established.
END EDIT

OLD REVIEW:
If you also often use the speakerphone feature, you'll appreciate my two cents: iPhones aside, every other mobile phone I used in the past, including two $20 no-contract LG cheapos, leaves the Galaxy Note II in the dust with speakerphone loudness. Prior to this phone my wife and I had Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, HTC EVO 4G, LG Optimus S, two different iPhones and some low end phones.

I can't comfortably talk on the speakerphone when driving on the highway because of the road and wind noise. This wasn't the case with other phones mentioned above. The only exception were the iPhone models which were even worse than the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

If this is important to you, look elsewhere, otherwise it's a great phone.
EDIT: Disregard the old part and see my update at the beginning of the review.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2013 7:45 PM PST

ARCTIC S111 USB-Powered Portable Stereo Speakers for Tablet/eReader/MP3/Computers, Balanced Treble/Superior Bass - Silver
Offered by ARCTIC direct
Price: $13.99
8 used & new from $10.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck, June 4, 2012
ARctic Sound S111 speakers are not powerful enough to drive a party, but they make my laptop sound great. I bought them when I started using a full HD monitor at home - with full HD picture it didn't make sense to hear a cheapo sound of my ultralight laptop, but I didn't want to invest big bucks because I wanted them small and portable.

There was one review here stating they were not loud enough and that got me worried a bit, but after using them for a week I have to say these are much louder with much more bass than I ever expected, and they sound better than regular monitor or smaller LCD TV speakers. First I was plugging them in a powered USB hub but they play equally well when plugged directly into my laptop (without extra power) and it's hard to believe such a mighty sound is coming out of it. Not having an extra charger is a big plus for me as I really dislike having too many cables around my systems.

Initially I thought that the high frequencies were just a tad lower for my taste and that I had to adjust that with an equalizer, however the problem was in low quality of MP3 files I first played on them. When I listened to some of my best MP3s recorded far above 128kbps, the middle and high frequency response was awesome, and so was the high and middle range bass. The lower bass of course doesn't have the strength of a sub-woofer-equipped system, but considering the price and the size these have an amazing sound quality. I like them so much that ordering another set for a similar purpose would be a zero hesitation no-brainer for me.

SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-032G-A11)
SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-032G-A11)
Offered by Media-Mart
Price: $24.47
13 used & new from $13.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable, avoid, May 17, 2012
Recently I bought the 32gb SanDisk Cruzer to use on IT assignments loaded with my favorite tools and plenty of free space when I need to move files around. What a mistake! Another USB 2.0 32gb thumb drive from different manufacturer that I use at home has much better winsat.exe write and read speed results. This drive seems to have sporadic slowdowns and speedups but it's much slower at its best speeds. Second, when my laptop wakes up from sleep it shows an empty drive, but if I try to write to it, it says it can't access the drive, and same happens when I go to its properties. This happens on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. At the same time, the other flash drive works just fine and this happens with both or any of them in any USB slot. I tried to use this one for readyboost just like the other one to see whether I get any performance gains from having two USBs work together, but this one just keeps failing me. After the computer wakes up from sleep, it becomes dysfunctional and it's impossible to eject it gracefully. Same happens on my netbook. Big disappointment, even after I wiped it and reformatted with NTFS just to see what happens. It's going back to where it came from.

HTC Evo 4G 3500mAh Extended Battery + Cover (White) + Standard Wall Charger
HTC Evo 4G 3500mAh Extended Battery + Cover (White) + Standard Wall Charger
Offered by YESOO
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Charges both extended and stock battery, November 4, 2011
The extended battery is good and lasts as long as the $7 I ordered from another vendor at Amazon, but this comes in a package with a charger, which is also equipped with a USB port. The charging power is low, so it's bad for fast charging and it can't simultaneously charge both the phone and the battery, but it's good for overnight charges and for the battery health. The LED on the charger changes color when the charge is complete. White cover? The phone looks so funky with it that I'd wear it only if I were a man who came out of the late 70s movies, liked disco music, wore a fur coat, a hat with feathers, a walking stick, huge dark sunglasses and drove a 65 Caddy.

PNY 32GB Hi-Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 for Tablet PCs P-SDU32G10TEFM1
PNY 32GB Hi-Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 for Tablet PCs P-SDU32G10TEFM1
Offered by LowPriceFastShipping
Price: $99.11
2 used & new from $29.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre class 6 write speed, October 20, 2011
This review is for PNY 32GB Hi-Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 for Tablet PCs P-SDU32G10TEFM1. I have no problems with reading speed, but the write speed of the "Class 10" card I received is way under 10 MBps when tested on my systems.

Tests on my phone show write speed of about 7 MB/s, while on my laptop I'm getting about 8 MB/s continuous write (tested with 2.5 GB file), so in my book this card definitely doesn't deserve the class 10 attribute. Considering that my class 2 stock Samsung card gives me an amazing 5 MB/s write speed in my tests, I'd say this is more like Class 6. It works, sort of OK, but I'm sorry I bought it. Not worth the extra work for a return/replace, but worth warning you, fellow Amazon buyer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2011 9:13 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6