Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Carmen Matthews > Reviews

Browse

Carmen Matthews' Profile

Customer Reviews: 268

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carmen Matthews "The Serene Samurai" RSS Feed (San Diego, California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Feel Free to Prosper: Two Weeks to Unexpected Income with the Simplest Prosperity Laws Available
by Marilyn Jenett
Price: $9.87
44 used & new from $8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Connect With Your Source, January 28, 2016
I hadn't intended upon buying this book. I actually was looking to buy a new copy of another book in this category, which I had read once in 2010, and 6 times in 2015. My copy was getting warn out. But, they were out of them, and the cover of "Feel Free to Prosper" caught my attention. Then browsing through the pages kept my attention.

Have you ever wondered why "The Law of Attraction" didn't bring you what you wanted? "Feel Free to Prosper" will teach you to change this to the "Law of Satisfaction."

Have you considered the impact your choice of words have upon what you aspire to experience - and what you actually experience?

And if you are trying to attract something, you are telling yourself that you don't have it. You may also have self-talk that gets in your way to bring it to yourself. However, when your focus is on "satisfaction," you envision and act like you have it now. You guide yourself to actually have it. And you are more than comfortable what having manifested it into your life.

As I read this book, I looked at a chart that I have that identified my "To be" statements. Reading "Feel Free to Prosper" led me to change my "to be's" to "I am," and I am acting on that identity.

Marilyn Jenett promises readers in this book that within 2 weeks of reading this book, they will be prosperous. She defines prosperity, and her lessons truly do guide readers to be prosperous.

And as I read the word "prosperity," having read this book, my life has truly evolved.

Mobile Notary Basics
Mobile Notary Basics
by Tyrina Quinn
Price: $8.95
25 used & new from $6.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Tips to Position Yourself, January 24, 2016
This review is from: Mobile Notary Basics (Paperback)
Having recently gone through the notary training and testing, I wondered if there was something else I needed to know. "Mobile Notary Basics" provides great tips on marketing your business and how to complete the journal. This book also mentions that some mortgage companies have preferences as to where you get your Loan Signing Agent training. That is good to know.

Two drawbacks to this book are: It really needs to be edited; and, I would have liked to have read more about fees.

That being said, the value of the information in this book exceeds the price you pay to read this.

The Wealthy Barber, Updated 3rd Edition: Everyone's Commonsense Guide to Becoming Financially Independent
by David Chilton
Price: $7.86
293 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Control Your Money Life, January 15, 2016
Having walked past this book several times in as many years, I am glad to have finally read it.
As I had walked past this book, I kept thinking, “Yeah. There might be something, but I don’t want the technical stuff, just yet.”
Well. It’s not the “technical stuff” at all.
“The Wealthy Barber,” is like stepping back in time, and into the “Andy Maybury Show.” Only the characters here are: A wise barber, three students: Dave, a teacher, whose wife is self-employed and pregnant); Dave’ self-employed, wealthy sister, Cathy, a landscape business owner; and their friend Tom, a plant worker who is single. The three other characters are former students of the wealthy barber, who hang around the shop, and give their input on what they have learned from the barber.
It is so cool how the author has managed to turn the seven parts of a basic financial plan into seven humorous months of lessons to his readers. And, using the former students, he has managed to show what of his lessons matter the most, and where the readers are free to either ignore or make their own decisions about some of his lessons.
I was, however, wanting more information on taxes than what this author provides.
No matter what your background, your money beliefs, or your age, this is an excellent book that will enhance your life. It has does so for me.

Contract Law for Paralegals (2nd Edition)
Contract Law for Paralegals (2nd Edition)
by Kathleen Mercer Reed
Price: $126.30
60 used & new from $28.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly Communicate Mutual Understanding, December 29, 2013
Everyone, just by interacting with others, forms contracts. And the older we are, the more risk we are faced with, as a result of our not understanding contracts.

This textbook walks readers through the fundamentals of a contract. Each chapter, except chapter 7, are easy to follow. Chapter us is about third-party rights.

As I read that chapter, I kept asking myself, "Whose doing what to whom?"

My favorite chapter was "E-Contracts and Internet Law," because given where we are in our use of technology, I was more open to learn are Internet Law.

Activities Manual for Tu dirás!, 4th
Activities Manual for Tu dirás!, 4th
by Ana Martinez-Lage
Price: $146.95
37 used & new from $5.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Show You Care, December 29, 2013
Before choosing to study Spanish, I've studied Italian and French. So, to select another language, one that is so close to the ones I already know can lead to mix feelings. Part of me was concerned about not being able to step into Spanish. Another part thought, "Aw this should be easy. It's another romance language, right?"

As it turned out, this book is a great source. It starts by teaching readers how to pronounce "A" through "Z," then guides readers to speak about the most common life experiences.

The biggest challenge for me was when I compared having learned other languages while living in countries that speak those languages. Because I live in the United States, and because we don't have to speak Spanish, I needed to pay closer attention to the lessons in this book.

American Government and Politics Today: The Essentials
American Government and Politics Today: The Essentials
by Barbara A. Bardes
69 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Make a Difference, December 29, 2013
When this book first arrived the questions that I had in mind were, "How can they really write an objective book on politics? Who are the authors?" and, "Can I apply any of this text to my real life interests?"

As this book's preface says, "The new 2013-2014 edition of 'American Government and Politics Today' ... [provides] the most up-to-date text possible."

Given our current political climate, I especially like how this book not only answers my questions, but also inspired me to call Congress and other political leaders. Armed with updated information, and the lingo to speak to the right sources, this book helped me to resolve some local and national concerns.

As I read further, I had to remind myself that this book's goal is to mix historical facts, sociology, politics and law into one resource that allows us to look at current political issues. From time to time, I asked myself why the authors honed in on our current president for many of the points the authors were making. The answer is because they are committed to giving us a history to understand our current situation.

And they do a great job with this.

I especially appreciate how the chapters start with bulleted Learning Objectives; well into each chapter, this book applies the preceding lessons with a look outside of the U.S. And, at the close of each chapter, this book brings the reader to "You Can Make a Difference (which shows readers what they can do with what they have learned.).

I recommend this book to anyone who really wants to make a difference on a community, city, state, national or international level.

Legal Writing: Process, Analysis and Organization, 5th Edition
Legal Writing: Process, Analysis and Organization, 5th Edition
by Linda Holdeman Edwards
91 used & new from $1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Predict, Then Persuade - With Ease, August 18, 2013
When the authors of "Legal Writing: Process, Analysis, and Organization," began this book with, "Before you begin your first legal writing assignment, take a moment to consider yourself, your role and professional responsibilities ..." they had and have in mind anyone who is either a law school student, or someone who needs to objectively write to predict or to persuasive others.

Legal writing is like a symphony of disciplines coming together. Long before a case makes it to court, mediation, settlements, or even discussion with those who the attorney may agree to represent, the legal question, facts, rules, reasoning, counterargument and conclusion must be written out. Arriving at these steps other legal study disciplines.

This book not only easily breaks down the steps to arrive at these crucial points, the authors consider hesitations and gaps that the novice legal writer will have, and how to get beyond those hesitations.

And this is definitely a book to keep long after mastering the lessons here.

Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: With Selected Rules and Statutes 2012
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: With Selected Rules and Statutes 2012
by Stephen C. Yeazell
Price: $50.83
124 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Road Map, July 19, 2013
At first glance this textbook seemed dry. I expected to read easy flowing paragraphs about how to file and follow up on civil claims. It's definitely not novel-reading material.

So, when I compared this book to the United States District Court for the Southern District of California procedures, "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" became an excellent guide to what is expected of me, before, during and after court.

And by the layout of each page of this book, it is easy to hone in on what the specific rules, procedures and even definitions to support any federal case that you are determined to win.

I recommend this book to anyone who is willing to step into the federal courts system, armed and ready to resolve federal questions.

Immigration Law for Paralegals
Immigration Law for Paralegals
by Maria Isabel Casablanca
Price: $50.43
45 used & new from $21.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resources for How To Apply for Visas, May 22, 2013
In the first four chapters, as I read this book, my thoughts were, "No wonder there are so many illegals here. The forms, timelines and rules are not straight forward."

And in the end, I learned so much about not only completing the petition for visas for the many different statuses, I garnered from this book compassion for the immigrant who, rather it's for work, business, to seek asylum, or family needs aspire to be part of a better life.

What I didn't get from reading this book was the cases, and details about either Immigration court or ICE.

This is a comprehensive reference guide without being a law book.

Employment Law: The Essential HR Desk Reference
Employment Law: The Essential HR Desk Reference
by Lisa Guerin
Price: $31.96
57 used & new from $17.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Know Your Career/Job Rights, May 22, 2013
This is a good basic Employment Law book, in that it discusses only the basics,and considers all states.

But, if you are looking for an Employment Law book that digs into case law, and truly looks at the history of Employment Law or Labor Law, this is not the resource you need.

Over all of my employed years, be that military, self-employment, corporate or otherwise, my interest in who the employee and who the employer are has fascinated me. And I look forward to reading more on this subject.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20