Profile for clickz4 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

clickz4 "clickz4" RSS Feed (Metairie, LA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Arrow Shed BW54-A Brentwood 5-Feet by 4-Feet Steel Storage Shed
Arrow Shed BW54-A Brentwood 5-Feet by 4-Feet Steel Storage Shed
Price: $231.98
6 used & new from $221.99

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT - Read Before Assembling (Fixed Door Problem), February 17, 2014
OK so if you read the reviews, probably about 30% of them mention problems with the door. Specifically, screws being in the wrong place to block the door from opening properly. I figured (correctly) that many people could not follow directions and assembled it wrong so I ordered it anyway.

I'm a pretty advanced builder and even though I knew in advance that people were assembling the door wrong... I STILL GOT BIT.

Part of the problem is that it is the very first step and people are not used to the instructions but in fairness, it is obliviously poor instructions. So here's the deal:

---
If you have not purchased or assembled yet: On "Step 1" you will be asked to put 2 white nylon door hangers in the door header track. (above door, door hangs from them) DO NOT miss the very small picture labeled 'End View.' << read that again. You DO NOT put the hangers INSIDE the C track. (like the big picture kinda shows) Instead you want the H shaped nylon hanger to be half in the track half out. (ie the top and bottom of the C rail are in the top and bottom of the H shaped piece.) The 'End View' picture is about the size of a postage stamp and easy to miss. (it's bottom center of the Step 1 Page)

If you are having door problems: Simple fix. Take the door off, slide the 2 hangers all the way to the right (as looking at track from inside building) and pry them out with a flathead screwdriver. You'll bend the C rail a bit but this is on the side all the away from the opening and it will be fine. I did not even bother to bend mine back, the door worked fine. It was about a 5 minute fix.
---

As for the rest of the review, heck, it's a ~$200 tin shed. Don't expect more than a ~$200 tin shed and you won't be disappointed. It's very serviceable, easier, cheaper and faster than any other option out there. (I know, I looked and looked) I'd be surprised to get 10 years from it but it might last that long. I'm not raving about it but not complaining either. (I certainly would buy again.) I gave it five stars because I honestly think from reading reviews it lost a full star due to this one problem and that's not giving people the full story. There is no way this is a 1 star product.

Lastly, the instructions really aren't as bad as everyone says. The key is you gotta actually read them slowly *and understand them* before you pick up a screwdriver. I read them through the night before assembly and that was a big help. DO NOT use an electric drill/driver. I was stripping screws with a light tough on a screwdriver. How anyone could do with this a drill/driver I have no idea. They must not know what stripped screws feel like.

OK I hope that helped --If this helped you-- please click the button below. I'd like to elevate this to where it can help some people. I'll do my best to answer any questions in comments.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 11:33 AM PST

Route 66 / America's National Parks
Route 66 / America's National Parks
DVD ~ None
Price: $18.13
28 used & new from $9.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Real Review From A Verified Purchaser, December 28, 2013
Now... I'm not going to say many of those 5 star reviews are bogus. I'd just suggest you look at the number of 5 star reviews on this edition with a single sentence and the number of reviews on the previous edition that aren't even from verified purchasers, then make up your own mind.

OK let's start with the good...... Wait gimme a minute.... Oh yeah these guys got to write off their whole vacation because they filmed it and offered their home movies for sale. That's the best I can say. (more on this later)

There is so much 'bad' I'm not even sure where to start:

The box proudly states it was "Filmed in HD" and I'm sure it was. Then they down sampled it to DVD quality using a horrendous codec and the video is just awful. And the editing.... Well, technically I can not complain about the editing because there basically was none.

The 'interviews' that people complain about being too long are not actually interviews. They sat the owners of these establishments down and had them recite all the various dates associated with the property into a camera then showed it unedited without even a single camera cut. Imagine a high school kid interviews grandparents about life during WWII. --- Put the camera on the tripod and hit record.

Above I compared it to a home movie. That wasn't just a random insult. It really is basically these guys home movie. And if you like that kind of thing well, this is probably not the worst you'll see... Just know going in that this isn't a professional production. (This ain't no Discovery Channel or TLC)

I could go on... goodness knows they did for 10 hours... suffice it to say I can count on one hand the number of items I've returned to Amazon because I was not pleased with the quality. This is officially one of them.

Save yourself the trouble, find a better set.

EDIT: OH my bad, the music was decent.

2L8 My Luv: A Story of Love and Betrayal
2L8 My Luv: A Story of Love and Betrayal

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow With a Double Wow Ending, December 6, 2013
OK So I'm probably not the target market for this book, Being a typical middle aged male, I still don't text message all that well. But I started reading it because I was fascinated by the format. -- Writing a whole book in text messages seemed like a big gamble to me... It's one of those things if you pull it off, you're a genius... but if you don't, you're a goat. I'm pleased to say the author pulled it off better than I thought possible.

If you buy the book, be warned that it is hard to put down for two reasons. First of course, is that it is a good story. But beyond that, since the next paragraph is less than 140 characters, there are no obvious stopping points. I just kept reading and reading, finishing the whole thing in a single sitting.

The other thing that surprised me is how much you could connect with the characters and events despite a lack of verbose imagery. I'm (painfully) reminded of a book where Eudora Welty spent 7 pages describing the inside of a taxicab. There's none of that with 140 characters and yet, I felt just as connected to the plot. (maybe more so)

And then there's the ending.

I can't say much about it because I don't want to spoil it but I can say it's darned powerful. The author clearly had the end in mind from the beginning and then (skilfully) set the rest of the book up to support it.

I don't read much fiction (mostly because of a certain college professor who made me read 7 pages of nothingness about the inside of a taxi cab) but I'm very glad I read this book. Very worth the time and nominal cost.

If the author writes another, I'll probably buy that too.

Winning Design!: LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Design Patterns for Fun and Competition
Winning Design!: LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Design Patterns for Fun and Competition
Price: $13.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Can we get an editor on aisle 3 please?, June 11, 2013
OK lemme start with the good. There is some good information in the book. If you're a tinkerer or someone who works with electromechanical things, none of this is earth shattering. (ie It's better to support the axle of a wheel on both sides vs a single side.) If you don't have a mechanical background, I'm sure it would be very helpful.

However the book is maddening to read. On the superficial but still annoying side, misspelling, typos and grammar problems abound and the illustrations are lacking.

The bigger issue is that the author spends waaay too much time on stuff he himself says you'll never need. It's like: "Here's something that you'll never need in your FLL life and let me spend 8 pages on it." -- I can't help but wonder how much more good stuff he could have put in the book if he had chopped the stuff he himself says you'll never use.

Lastly if you're looking for programming tips, this is not the book for you. I found the programming section to be rather sparse.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:20 AM PDT

I Don't. I Don't. I Do!
I Don't. I Don't. I Do!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book With a Better Message, April 7, 2013
I'm not an expert on children's literature but having 3 kids and stressing reading from birth, I've seen my fair share of children's titles. -- Most follow a cookie cutter approach. Nice illustration and a single (often silly) sentence. We look for books with more of a message or lesson (think Aesop's Fables) but they are somewhat out of fashion currently.

This book sorta breaks that mold in that it uses a 3 sentence 'micro story' on each page. As the title suggests, the three sentences start with 'I don't, I don't, I do."

ie: "I don't want to get dressed, I don't want to put on shoes, But I DO want to go outside and play."

It is rare today that our kids are taught that the reward comes after the effort. (or that effort is required at all for reward but I digress) So I like the message.

There is one thing I would have changed about the book. The little boy in the book is unnamed. This technique fine and used often in kid's lit but it did not work for me for this reason. As you read a child a book you often have to explain what is going on. (which is the best part of this book) So we talked about the little boy not wanting to put on his shoes but still wanting to go outside. -- This would have been easier if he had a name. I ended up naming the little boy 'Timmy' so I could explain to my kids that 'Timmy' didn't want to put his shoes on etc.

But I'm picking a nit here. Probably most people would never notice this, it just would have made our discussions easier if the kid had a name. Again, nit picking.

It's a beautifully illustrated book with a great message and for that it earns all 5 stars.

If you like books that offer a bit more of a message than 'a bird got on a bus' this book is for you.

SOLAR COOKING: DIFFERENT TYPES OF SOLAR COOKERS THE PROS AND CONS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF SOLAR COOKERS AND WHAT WILL WORK BEST FOR YOU

3.0 out of 5 stars History of Solar Cooking - Needs Editing, October 2, 2012
If you're looking for information about making (or even buying) any sort of solar cooking device, you're on the wrong book. Mostly it is the history of solar cooking and text descriptions of various cookers. The book has very few pictures to back the words. It's great hearing about how something is built but you know what they say about a picture being worth 1000 words.

If you want a history lesson and some abstract theory it's ok but if you're looking for anything actionable, you'll be disappointed.

Lastly I think the author really needs to read this things again. Whole paragraphs are repeated in multiple sections of the book. That and the lack of illustrations would normally make this a 2 star book but the guy did a lot of research and a reasonable job presenting it so I add a star for that.

Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)
Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)
Price: $99.00
25 used & new from $82.78

10,796 of 11,058 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Compare FIRE HD to the KINDLE FIRE GEN 2, September 14, 2012
Length:: 2:29 Mins

UPDATE: I bought both a Fire HD and a Gen 2. (as a present to my mother in law) My initial reviews were written after playing with them for like 20 minutes. I merged both reviews into one to really compare the two products. I'm still answering questions in the comments if you have any. And see the video that compares the two and gives a mini tour of the Kindle system.

My Background: I've had 4 android phones, I've had multiple e-readers and my latest 'touch' device is the Le Pan II Android tablet. I've worked on several iPads but never been compelled to spend the extra money for one myself. Wife has a first generation Fire.
============

The new Kindle Fire and Fire HD are the second generation color kindle e-reader/media player/tablet devices. The original Fire received a lot of well earned 4 star reviews. It was a great product but at the end of the day, it was a first generation product. It was no iPad slayer. The Fire HD raises the bar and raises it quite a lot. Jeff Bezos said they set out to make the best tablet available period and -in some regards- they did that in spades. In other ways not so much. (more on this below in the closing thoughts)

HARDWARE:

BUILD QUALITY:
- BOTH are top Notch. I didn't expect anything less from Amazon but they really are solid feeling.
- FIRE HD lighter and while it is about the same thickness, the edges are rounded more like an iPad. sleeker look and more comfortable to hold.
- FIRE GEN 2 is heavier and 'boxier' built to more fit existing covers I guess. It's heavier too.

SIZING:
The HD is just a bit taller but a decent bit wider than the Fire. --- NOTE pay attention to accessories because THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SIZE. The cover from my wife's Gen 1 Kindle will fit the Gen 2 kindle (sorta) but NOT THE HD.

THE SCREEN:
- FIRE HD SUMMED UP IN TWO WORDS Oh. My. The Le Pan, the iPads and the Gen 2 Fire all have great screens. The Fire HD takes them all out. I read somewhere there was polarizing a filter over the Fire HD screen. Polarizers reduce glare by only letting 'straight' light though not off angle bounced light. This makes an enormous difference to this display. The off angle viewing is probably the best I have seen in any flat screen. 6 stars.
- FIRE GEN 2 Still a high quality screen. I'd same the same or better than any other high end tablet on the market.
- NOTE A few people in the comments asked about the touch response. - I do not have a problem except in the browser, it is sorta too sensitive. If you move your finger smoothly you can avoid the jitters.

THE WIFI.
- FIRE HD I admit only the geeky probably care but the wifi rocks. I have a mimo router and one quick copy from my server and I was getting almost 30MB/s. To put that into perspective, that's about as fast and an external USB Hard drive can push data to your computer. (USB 3.0 will be faster but they are rare today) -- The other thing is that I have a long skinny house and when I'm in the back bath, the Le Pan drops off. (ahem not that I surf on the potty or anything, just when I test it, you know.) With the Fire HD I can surf in the back yard.
- FIRE GEN 2 still got 20MB/sec. But consider this... at that speed you can fill the entire memory in 5 minutes. Seems good enough to me.

THE SOUND:
- FIRE HD ok I'm a bit of an audio snob. The sound is fantastic for being a tablet. Which is to say it's still only marginally acceptable. You can still buy a $15 pair of Koss KSC75 headphones and blow the speakers away BUT I will say this is the first device I would actually listen to music on. The rest I simply don't even bother. I suspect most people would call the sound excellent.
- FIRE GEN 2 still have a very good sound. For the spoken word it would be very fine. For music it is lacking in my book.

SPEED: Both are quick with the HD being quicker. The Le Pan II is no slouch but I think the HD edges it out. Since the Le Pan apparent died this morning it's hard to compare. :-(

NOTE: IT DOES NOT COME WITH A WALL WORT CHARGER It comes with a micro USB cable that can be used with your existing USB wall worts. (ie your cell phone charger) You can buy a rapid charger for it or even plug it into your computer to charge. This is an odd choice from Amazon IMO.

NOTE 2: Unlike the Gen 1 Fire, (and contrary to what you might have read) the new Kindles DO NOT support flash. Rumor has it you can hack it to install Flash I have not tried yet. I'll try to run this down by this weekend.

NEW FEATURES (as promised)

EXCHANGE CALENDAR SYNC:
BOTH - Exchange on the Fire (both) just rocks. I really like the calendar app. The contact manager can't keep up with the one on the iPad but it is sufficient. Ditto the email. But the setup was easy and it seemed fast. Love it.

SKYPE:
- FIRE HD Spent way too long video skyping today. It worked as well as skype ever works. (long time skype users will understand that) yes it was glitchy but less than other platforms so no complaints. The sound really made a difference here.
- Fire GEN 2 I don't think Skype came with it. I'll update with a definitive later.

HDMI
- FIRE HD ONLY I promised someone in the comments to test this soon but I misplaced my HDMI cable. (drat) I guess I'll order a new one and update when it arrives.

BLUETOOTH
- FIRE HD ONLY worked very smoothly pairing with LG tone. (great product btw) I'll be using that for Skype in the future.

FREETIME: BOTH This is a widely requested feature that allows multiple users (i.e. kids) to log in and have their own customized tablet experience. It also allows parents to limit the time kids spend on certain tasks, like watching movies, while giving them unlimited time to read. Parents have been asking for this forever. (Are you listening Apple?) I wasted 20 minutes looking for it before I looked it up and Amazon is not shipping it until next month. The existing parental controls are pretty decent actually.

CLOSING THOUGHTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS:

If you're new to Kindle make sure you understand what you are buying here. Kindles are made -and sold at a highly discounted price- to allow you to purchase media from Amazon. Don't think of this as an android tablet, because it really isn't. Yes Amazon uses the Android operating system but you'd never know they hide it so well. This device is made (basically) exclusively to read/watch/listen to media you buy from Amazon. In that regard this device is about as great as they could make it. HOWEVER. The Kindle Fire (first generation) was notorious for not playing well with many Android apps. If you're a app monster or looking for something to replace your laptop to allow you do work on the road and occasionally consume media, you need to look at an Android tablet or an iPad. But don't let that discourage you:

Via Amazon Prime, you get 25,000 streaming movies and T.V. shows you can watch 24/7 unlimited. We dropped Netflix because Prime Instant Video was so good. Amazon gives you a free month with the either Fire so you'll get to see the value before you buy. (it's a no brainer btw) There are also over a million free books available for the Kindle. I try to limit how many I buy/download but I have over 100 books on my previous Kindle that are waiting to be read, all but like 4 of them were free. Also if you own a Kindle and subscribe to Prime, you can borrow one book per month from the Paid section. And big name books too... all 7 Harry Potter books are up there. If you figure that is worth at least 10 bucks a month, you're getting $120 of content per year and Prime only costs (I think) $79. Or looked at another way, that's $240 in content in two years and the Fire HD is only $199.

If you're new to e-readers, owning one might just change your life. I had probably read 8 book length books in the last decade. (I'm a periodical junkie.) I now read at least one book per week. I was a big reader before but I'm reading more than I ever have in my life. Many studies show that people are reading as much as 3X more when they get an e-reader. If you're a parent looking to inspire a love of reading in a child, STOP. DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200. Buy them an e-reader.

SO THE BIG QUESTION, WHICH ONE DO I BUY?
- If you're on a VERY tight budget the Fire Gen 2 is a great product at a great price point. Coupled with Prime, you have access to mountains of cheap content.
HOWEVER. When you look at what you get for the small difference in cost, the Fire HD blows it away... You get a better screen, better sound, bluetooth, it's faster, thinner and lighter than the Fire. You also get double the memory, better wifi and over 2 hours more battery life. All for $40. I guess Amazon wants to make color Kindles as affordable as possible but I don't even know why they made the small one. I'm not sorry I bought it but all things considered, I would buy two big ones if I had it to do over.

I'll be taking questions in the comments for the next week or maybe more, so feel free to ask.

Hope this was helpful.
Comment Comments (425) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 9:32 AM PDT

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)
44 used & new from $68.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Compare FIRE HD to the KINDLE FIRE GEN 2, September 14, 2012
Length:: 2:29 Mins

UPDATE: I bought both a Fire HD and a Gen 2. (as a present to my mother in law) My initial reviews were written after playing with them for like 20 minutes. I merged both reviews into one to really compare the two products. I'll be answering questions in the comments all weekend. And see the video that compares the two and gives a mini tour of the kindle system.

============

HARDWARE:

BUILD QUALITY:

SIZING:

THE SCREEN:
- NOTE A few people in the comments asked about the touch response. I don't have a problem with either. Both worked very well.

THE WIFI.
- FIRE HD I admit only the geeky probably care but the wifi rocks. I have this mimo router and one quick copy from my server and I was getting almost 30MB/s. To put that into perspective, that's about as fast and an external USB Hard drive can push data to your computer. (USB 3.0 will be faster but they are rare today) -- The other thing is that I have a long skinny house and when I'm in the back bath, the Le Pan drops off. (ahem not that I surf on the potty or anything, just when I test it, you know.) With the Fire HD I can surf in the back yard.
- FIRE GEN 2 still got 20MB/sec. But consider this. At that speed you can fill the entire memory in 5 minutes. Seems good enough to me.

THE SOUND:

NEW FEATURES (as promised)

EXCHANGE CALENDAR SYNC:

SKYPE:
- Fire GEN 2 I don't think Skype came in it. I'll update with a definitive later.

HDMI
- FIRE HD ONLY I promised someone in the comments to test this soon but I misplaced my HDMI cable. (drat) will find it this weekend and test. Watch this space.

BLUETOOTH

FREETIME: BOTH This is a widely requested feature that allows multiple users (i.e. kids) to log in and have their own customized tablet experience. It also allows parents to limit the time kids spend on certain tasks, like watching movies, while giving them unlimited time to read. Parents have been asking for this forever. (Are you listening Apple?) Early reports on this are good but I'll have more on this in a few hours too.

CLOSING THOUGHTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS:

If you're new to Kindle make sure you understand what you are buying here. Kindles are made -and sold at a highly discounted price- to allow you to purchase media from Amazon. Don't think of this as an android tablet, because it really isn't. Yes Amazon uses the Android operating system but you'd never know they hide it so well. This device is made (basically) exclusively to read/watch/listen to media you buy from Amazon. In that regard this device is about as fantastic as they could make it. HOWEVER. The Kindle Fire (first generation) was notorious for not playing well with many Android apps. If you're a app monster or looking for something to replace your laptop to allow you do work on the road and occasionally consume media, you need to look at an Android tablet or an iPad. But don't let that discourage you:

SO THE BIG QUESTION, WHICH ONE DO I BUY?

As I said above, I'll be updating this and taking questions in the comments all weekend.

Hope this was helpful.
Comment Comments (55) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 5:55 PM PDT

The Brief Against Obama: The Rise, Fall & Epic Fail of the Hope & Change Presidency
by Hugh Hewitt
Price: $19.99
139 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be Required Reading... For the Media, June 19, 2012
First it is a brilliant book. Both well researched and well written. But one thought kept running through my head as I read it.

Why is "Obama the Media Myth" so different from the real Obama?

To hear the media tell the story, Obama's only two flaws are that he is too smart and too accommodating to Republicans; despite all the evidence to the contrary we have seen.

Obama has been a disaster yet the media has to stick with him because they have so much invested in him. This book puts the great lie to the media myth.

But I'll warn you... If you buy the book, get the digital version and not the hardcover... If you have the hardcover in your possession the urge to just walk through the New York Times newsroom smacking people at random with it might just be overwhelming. It was for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2012 9:45 PM PDT

A STUDY OF PERCEPTUAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SUPERVISORS AND SUBORDINATES ON THE EFFECTIVENESS OF A PERFORMANCE FEEDBACK CONVERSATION
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Weird and No., May 29, 2012
OK, first this is not a "book." It's someone's doctoral thesis.

They did a study about the differences between what managers tell subordinates during performance reviews and what the subordinate hears. It is an important topic and no doubt a decent book could be written about it. But this ain't it. In fairness it wasn't meant to be, it's a dissertation not a traditional book.

If you're a seasoned manager you probably know that yearly performance reviews aren't effective management tools. If you're only giving guidance to subordinates once a year, you have a problem. And if you're a truly seasoned manager, you know employees hear what they want to hear. (As we all do)

From a utility point of view this is a one star book. It is EXTRAORDINARY repetitious. To the point you wonder how this person was getting an advanced degree. But I'll add a star for the fact it is an important subject and another star since it does cover the subject in depth. (Which can also be read as it beat the subject to death.)

I can almost hear another review now... If this stays free on Amazon, someone is sure to say there are no actionable items in the book. And while true, that would sorta be unfair since that's not the point.

As for the subject of my review it's weird that someone would throw their dissertation out on Amazon as a book and put a hundred dollar price tag on it but then discount it to free. Even at free it was sort of a waste of time in that the content is pretty intuitive. (People hear what they want to hear.)

If you're looking at this as a management tool, keep looking.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2012 10:57 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3