Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for Lauraloo Mattox > Reviews

Browse

Lauraloo Mattox's Profile

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lauraloo Mattox "tumble3" RSS Feed (Atlanta, Ga USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
by Ishmael Beah
Price: $16.32
973 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult but worthwhile, February 25, 2007
While I did find this book painful to read, I am very glad I stayed with it. Ishmael tells his story in casual language, almost as if he were sitting next to you, sharing his experiences over (many cups of) tea.

He relays his life to us chronologically, beginning in his home village. He and some friends took a several day trip to a neighboring village to show off their hip-hop skills at a talent show. Little did they know, that little trip probably saved their lives. For while they were away, the rebel army attacked their home village.

From there, we follow Ishmael and his friends as they try to find their families (all had had to flee the village, literally running for their lives) struggling to meet the barest of necessities. It is a long, dangerous road they walk, and they suffer countless difficulties as they try to find somewhere safe to stay. A tunnel with no light. You really feel the desperation, the loneliness and despair that descended upon this poor little boy. Much of the book is about this time of wandering, going hungry, being ill-met by other villages who suspect these young, homeless friends of being a wandering squad of rebel child-soldiers. They are met with suspicion at best, hostility at worst.

It is actually understandable when Ishmael is manipulated into fighting with the government army. He is finally in a village that feels safe, he is eating, there are soldiers protecting the village, that is until the rebels surround the village, leaving no path for escape. All males (even 6 or 8 year olds) must fight for their lives, or die.

It begins as such, fighting for the "good side," the ones who did not kill his family, and fighting to defend himself. But, as this brief portion of the book tells us, he quickly descended into the much darker side of warfare, where the good and bad guys are not so easily discerned. When did he cross the line and become someone who kills some other little boy's family? It is so painful, so sad.

But Ishmael does not delve too deeply into the emotions behind his motivations and reactions. Nor does he tell us much about how he has come to reconcile with himself. He tells us some, and maybe this is my psych degree, but I want to know more, I hope he is able to go deeper within himself. I don't need to read about it, but I hope he can because I want him to truly be alright now. You will, too, because no feeling human can read this book and not find themselves truly caring about this young man.

And now I think of the other children still out there, still being coerced into fighting the wars of horrible adult men. I want to help them, which is, I imagine, part of Ishmael's hope.

Don't wait for the cheaper paperback, this is a book to read now - you will want to talk to people about it. Prepare to be stirred.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2015 9:41 AM PDT

For the Love of Greys
For the Love of Greys
by Bobbi Brinker
29 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy only one parrot book, let this be it!, May 18, 2005
This review is from: For the Love of Greys (Paperback)
I recently bought my second African Grey from an excellent breeder. I paid for her at a bird fair, waited two weeks for her to finish weaning, and then picked her up. While I was waiting, I perused several books, and bought two. The other was Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot, which I also recommend. But I prefer this book.

It is, for lack of a better term, humanistic in its approach. I find that raising parrots is a lot like raising children. THe healthiest ones are raised compassionately, without harmful punishment. In this book, you are taught how to encourage the behaviors you desire from your parrot, and how to deter the less positive behaviors (biting, plucking, earring-eating, etc) and you are taught how to do this without yelling, hitting, or using scaring tactics like earthquaking or neglect. You are shown the importance of establishing a trusting bond with your parrot, and thus the importance of never violating that trust. Using her techniques, I have been able to get my bird to step up without ever having to force her.

The book also debunks many of the more common myths, such as "greys are one person birds" In fact, she gives suggestions on how to help your Grey bond with everyone in the family.

The book references many articles on the web, and gives the URLs for them - so you are able to conveniently continue your research in whichever areas you wish.

The book is written in a warm and wise tone, you can tell the author really knows Greys, and she deeply loves them. And while books that discuss parrot behavior in general can prove helpful, this book is excellent in covering those things particular to Greys. On the flip side, I do recommend this book to the owner of ANY parrot!

I wish I had read this book before I got my first bird. I am having such an easier time socializing this new bird, easier than I ever thought possible. I have a tender, sweet bond with my new Grey, and I am very grateful to Bobbi Brinker for this book, and to my most wonderful breeder!

If you are even vaguely contemplating buying this book, trust me, just go ahead and get it. You will learn so much from it, and it will forever improve your relationships!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2016 1:38 AM PST

Ultimate Collection
Ultimate Collection
Price: $8.99
52 used & new from $2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Edie shines, April 9, 2005
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for the last half of the songs. Now I can burn a CD with all of my personal favorites on it. All I had to do was get this CD, each of Edie's prior CD's, and the Flashback soundtrack (for the coolest version of "Walk on the Wild Side" ever).

So, if you're looking to expand your Edie/NB collection, then this CD is a great investment. By itself, I think it leaves out a few essentials - like Carmelito and Nothing and... oh, there are many fantastic songs. Too many for one CD, I'm sure.

Of special note is the appearance by Jerry Garcia, may he RIP...

So, just go for it and add this one to your collection, you won't be sorry!

Apple iPod shuffle 1 GB White (1st Generation)  (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Apple iPod shuffle 1 GB White (1st Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Menendez Bros.
10 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect at doing what it was designed to do, April 9, 2005
I love this little gizmo!

I don't need a 40G ipod, because I use my computer to store my music. What I wanted was something tiny and light, something that wouldn't skip, something that I could stick in a small pocket, and that would hold enough music to get me through the day. This little number does the trick perfectly.

I don't mind the lack of playlists - I always use shuffle at home anyway. But for on the go, trekking around the campus, hiking, shopping, ignoring strangers on the train, etc, this is the perfect ipod!

Installing the software was a snap, and the earbuds are more than sufficient for my ears. Also, the lanyard is quite cute and useful - turning your ipod into a pendant and a handy conversation piece!

For the money, you would be hard-pressed to do better. Go ahead, spend the dough - you won't be sorry!

Eragon (Inheritance)
Eragon (Inheritance)
by Christopher Paolini
Price: $11.11
629 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved this book!, March 26, 2005
This review is from: Eragon (Inheritance) (Hardcover)
Three days! My son just turned twelve, and has dyslexia, yet he finished this book in three days. Wow. I only had to read the first chapter to him, and then he was hooked!

Everywhere we went, the book was with him - before school, in the car, at the store, in bed, everywhere.

Few things are more important to me than for my child to have a love of reading. This book certainly reinforced that love. He is already on the list for the next book by Paolini.

So, for any other parents who are endeavoring to keep their children's noses in the books, I recommend giving this book a look-see.

This is what my son says about the book:

It is about a boy named Eragon who finds a dragon egg. The dragon and Eragon embark on a life-changing adventure involving magic, sorcerery, swordfights and courage.

The book was very exciting - I cant wait until the next one.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Boots!, March 26, 2005
I decided to take my son hiking through the Alps in February. I didn't know exactly where we would be going or what we would be doing, only that we landed in Zurich with a Railpass and a grand sense of adventure. I needed shoes that would carry me through city streets, alpine trails, and thigh-high snow. I settled on these boots from Lowa.

I have done a fair amount of traveling, and for cold weather adventuring, I think these are the best boots I have ever hiked around in. I spent hours everyday sledding and hiking up and down the side of an Alp, and not once did my feet ever get wet! Furthermore, I bought these just before we left, so there was no time to properly break them in (bad idea) but, fortunately, these shoes were completely comfy from the first moment I wore them! They are extremely well-designed. For instance, the collar around the back of the ankle is well-padded and soft, so I never had that dreaded Achilles stab.

They are easy to tie on and off, and they look great. I am a Lowa convert now, that's for sure. I highly recommend them - they are definitely my best boots yet!

The American Sign Language Phrase Book
The American Sign Language Phrase Book
by Lou Fant
128 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars really helpful for the ASL student, January 11, 2005
I love this book! If you are trying to learn ASL, you will probably learn a lot from this book. It is divided into chapters by subject, like "Health" "Travel" and "Animals and Colors." So, you are able to build your vocabulary as you are learning basic grammar.

ASL syntax is quite different from English, so I have found it very helpful to use this book. All of the phrases and sentences are shown in ASL, so you are able to learn how to piece your signs together.

Also, the drawings are great - the character who models the signs looks very amiable.

I'm just a beginner in ASL, mostly I know vocabulary. I have just begun to try to grasp the grammar, and this book has been a big help. I highly recommend it!

The Fifth Sacred Thing
The Fifth Sacred Thing
by Starhawk
Price: $11.99
176 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Gandhi would have loved Starhawk, January 9, 2005
This review is from: The Fifth Sacred Thing (Paperback)
I love this book. I didn't like it at first, but I decided to give it an hour before I made up my mind. Now I am really glad I stuck with it, because it is one of the richest, most thought-provoking books I have ever read.

One of the greatest questions is - how do people resist the violent advances of others without becoming violent themselves? We can look to others for inspiration - HH the Dalai Lama, Gandhi, MLK - there have been a few who have managed to hold on to their ideals despite the crimes inflicted upon them. But how do we do this ourselves? How do we maintain peace within ourselves?

This book discusses these issues on a societal level, but the wisdom you will gain can be applied on a personal level. You will likely find yourself rethinking how you view numerous things - from illness to monogamy.

And the story is interesting and creative, with characters you will come to care about. This is a fantastic book. Go ahead and give it some time - you will probably love it, too!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2011 5:15 PM PDT

The Gift of Dyslexia: Why Some of the Smartest People Can't Read...  and How They Can Learn
by Ronald D. Davis
207 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book can change a life, January 9, 2005
My son is dyslexic. For years, reading was a source of frustration and inevitable tears. He struggled, I struggled, his teachers struggled. Little improvement was made for years.

Then, for 4th grade, I homeschooled him. My father bought me this book. I devoured it. I learned from it and I put it to use. THe changes were dramatic and faster than I could have ever expected.

The book explains so much about the nature of dyslexia, and it gives realistic excercises to do. And they are fun to do, so even my reluctant 9 year old was enjoying himself!

Now he is in 5th grade back at his old school. And he loves to read! Loves it! He's read Tolkien. He's on book 14 of the Redwall series. He reads everyday, and every night, in the car, in bed, everywhere. I am so grateful, so very grateful for this book.

As well as helping us bring the love of reading into my son's life, it also explains some of the benefits of dyslexia. Yes, benefits! Now, my son doesn't feel stigmatized. He is learning to put the strengths he has to use, and this book will help you do the same!

A life-changing book, I recommend it for anyone with even a touch of dyslexia. You will find it empowering!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 11:40 AM PST

Wisdom from a Rainforest: The Spiritual Journey of an Anthropologist
Wisdom from a Rainforest: The Spiritual Journey of an Anthropologist
by Stuart A. Schlegel
Price: $24.95
49 used & new from $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Broadens your perspective, January 9, 2005
I believe that it is always beneficial to step outside our own culture for a while, to see how others live and how we can learn from them.

Especially when the culture we are observing is one as beautiful as the Teduray. They, like so many indigenous people, lived their lives with the well-being of the community as their focus. This is in sharp contrast to the lonely and individualistic lives of so many Americans.

The people of the Teduray village in which Dr Schlegel lived were all massacred years ago. We find this out in the beginning of the book. It was heartbreaking for him, as he lets us know. Then, as you go on to read the book, learning about his two years with the Teduray, you get to know the people - their names, personalities, lifestyles - you come to care about them. I found that knowing they had all been killed led me to place greater importance on learning from them. The temporary nature of their lives gave permanence to the wisdom they imparted.

They lived beautifully, communally, with great compassion. I felt humbled, and grateful to have read their story and learned from them.

I highly recommend this book. It is lovely, heart-centered, and written by a clearly beautiful man.

And if you like this book, you probably will also like The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff. I learned many of my better parenting skills from this book - another study of living within an indigenous community.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4