Length:: 9:45 Mins
This is a great camera for vlogs, family video, or musicians who want to record themselves and post it on YouTube. This is NOT an action camera, like a GoPro, it's not the best for outdoor use or in adventure-like situations. It's best use is in a room on a desk or small tripod.
Here are some of the features I like best about this camera:
1. High quality stereo audio. Perfect for musicians. You can manually dial in the audio or use fully auto with presets.
2. AVCHD and MP4 codecs -- MP4 opens easily in Quicktime.
3. 30p and 24p frame rates, plus slow motion at standard def, and timelapse recording.
4. Audio mic input. You can have record both an external mic and internal mic at the same time on different channels.
5. Clean HDMI output for recording on an external video recorder.
What I don't like:
1. Proprietary DC input to power the camera. You have to charge the battery in the camera. Would be nice to power the camera using USB.
2. No 60p.
3. You can use as a webcam, but only via Wifi, not the USB connection. I don't trust Wifi.
4. LPCM audio and timecode is only in AVCHD mode at 60i, not in MP4 mode.
What I HATE:
1. You can lock exposure and manually adjust white balance, BUT you do NOT have independent control over the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed. Those are all on automatic and you never know your exposure values. This makes no sense to me because you can do this on almost all other Vixia cameras.
Not having full manual exposure control is a SIN for a camcorder that has almost every other professional feature in it. BUT only people who want manual control will complain about that. For everyone else who prefers to shoot on automatic mode, the Mini X is excellent.