Profile for Jeff Aski > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 146

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeff Aski RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Canon VIXIA mini X
Canon VIXIA mini X
Price: $399.00
9 used & new from $399.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Vlog/Musican YouTube camera to date, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Canon VIXIA mini X (Electronics)
Length:: 9:45 Mins

This is a great camera for vlogs, family video, or musicians who want to record themselves and post it on YouTube. This is NOT an action camera, like a GoPro, it's not the best for outdoor use or in adventure-like situations. It's best use is in a room on a desk or small tripod.

Here are some of the features I like best about this camera:
1. High quality stereo audio. Perfect for musicians. You can manually dial in the audio or use fully auto with presets.
2. AVCHD and MP4 codecs -- MP4 opens easily in Quicktime.
3. 30p and 24p frame rates, plus slow motion at standard def, and timelapse recording.
4. Audio mic input. You can have record both an external mic and internal mic at the same time on different channels.
5. Clean HDMI output for recording on an external video recorder.

What I don't like:
1. Proprietary DC input to power the camera. You have to charge the battery in the camera. Would be nice to power the camera using USB.
2. No 60p.
3. You can use as a webcam, but only via Wifi, not the USB connection. I don't trust Wifi.
4. LPCM audio and timecode is only in AVCHD mode at 60i, not in MP4 mode.

What I HATE:
1. You can lock exposure and manually adjust white balance, BUT you do NOT have independent control over the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed. Those are all on automatic and you never know your exposure values. This makes no sense to me because you can do this on almost all other Vixia cameras.

Not having full manual exposure control is a SIN for a camcorder that has almost every other professional feature in it. BUT only people who want manual control will complain about that. For everyone else who prefers to shoot on automatic mode, the Mini X is excellent.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 12:26 PM PDT

Canon PowerShot S120 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD Video
Price: $449.00
29 used & new from $392.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon S120 vs Sony RX100, November 12, 2013
Length:: 8:12 Mins

I use point and shoots for video as much as stills, so I'm always on the lookout for the best of both worlds. The Canon S120 comes close to what I like.

I also own the Sony RX100, which has been the champion of point and shoots for me. What I don't like about the RX100 is the 28mm lens, slow f stops when you start to zoom, and the AVCHD codec.

What I like about the Canon S120 is the 24mm wide angle lens, the MP4 codec for both 1080/60p and 30p and the amazing dynamic stabilization in video mode.

What I don't like about the Canon S120 is the terrible battery life (30 mins on full charge), the slow lens when zooming, and the lack of manual control over aperture/shutter/ISO in video mode. Seriously Canon, why leave that out?
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 2:26 PM PST

Japanese Rice Washing Bowl with Side and Bottom Drainers
Japanese Rice Washing Bowl with Side and Bottom Drainers
Offered by JapanSuperMall
Price: $4.79
20 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for veggies, too, September 21, 2013
I haven't figured out how to completely pour all the rice from this bowl into my rice cooker, though. After you rinse and pour, some of the residual rice sticks to the bowl. Oh well. I use this bowl to clean veggies, too, and its great for that.

Kuzy - Solid BLACK Keyboard Cover Silicone Skin for MacBook Pro 13" 15" 17" (with or w/out Retina Display) iMac and MacBook Air 13" - Solid Black
Offered by KUZY
Price: $6.50
2 used & new from $2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Blocks air flow, but keeps keys clean, September 21, 2013
The keyboard covers my Macbook Air 13" well and it's a conservative design that blends with my computer. I get worried that it's blocking air flow, though. I can feel heat coming from between the keys and with this cover on it prevents the heat from escaping. On heavy use when the fans are on full blast, I take the cover off. But otherwise, I leave it on.

High Sierra AT3 26" Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel Black
High Sierra AT3 26" Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel Black
Price: $111.92
6 used & new from $111.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as roomy as I thought, September 21, 2013
I like these types of duffel hybrid bags. I've compared this one to the Osprey Meridian and I like the Osprey better. The High Sierra is heavier and less roomy. The wheels and handle bar are okay, but flimsy. The price is much cheaper than the Osprey, but I want quality and a light frame, so I returned the Sierra.

Kuzy - AIR 13inch PALMREST with Trackpad Skin Sticker Cover Silver for Apple MacBook Air 13.3" (A1369 and A1466) Aluminum Unibody Only
Offered by KUZY
Price: $11.90
3 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits on 2013 Macbook Air, September 21, 2013
I just got a 2013 Macbook Air. For some reason, I always get the palm dirty, so I make it a point to buy these types of palm guards. It works as long as you can stick it on your first try.

KEEN Men's Newport H2 Sandal,Navy/Medium Grey,10 M US
KEEN Men's Newport H2 Sandal,Navy/Medium Grey,10 M US
Price: $99.95
12 used & new from $94.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel/airplane sandal EVER!!!, August 26, 2013
I LOVE this shoe. It's the most comfortable travel sandal I have ever owned. I'm a size 10 and it fits very well for me. I have wide feet and luckily, this is a wide sandal.

When I travel, this is she shoe I always wear. It slips on and off easily before I hit the security areas in the airport and when I'm on the plane, my feet can breath!

It's not really the coolest style, but the practicality and comfort far exceed it's look.

Hoover Platinum Collection Pet Plus Carpet and Upholstery Detergent 50 oz, AH30035
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $17.38

4.0 out of 5 stars clean carpets, August 15, 2013
I haven't really found an alternative to this detergent for the same price, so I've purchased many of these for my Hoover carpet cleaner. It seems to be fine. It doesn't have a strong smell and it takes out the dirt from my carpet.

Sleep Joy ViscoFresh Memory Foam Advanced Contour Pillow
Sleep Joy ViscoFresh Memory Foam Advanced Contour Pillow
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $38.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great comfort, August 15, 2013
This is my first memory foam pillow. It's wonderful. I'm the kind of sleeper that needs a substantial pillow to fall asleep and this memory foam fits that.

Madesmart 15.875 by 12.75 by 1.875-Inch Large Silverware Tray, Granite
Madesmart 15.875 by 12.75 by 1.875-Inch Large Silverware Tray, Granite
Price: $13.53
12 used & new from $8.43

2.0 out of 5 stars HUGE!!!!, August 15, 2013
This thing is HUGE! It will not fit into any of my kitchen drawers. I should have measured before buying this thing, so I guess I'm the idiot.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15