Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for TourniquetRules > Reviews

Browse

TourniquetRules' Profile

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TourniquetRules RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC3100 Gigabit Router (RT-AC88U)
ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC3100 Gigabit Router (RT-AC88U)
Price: $299.99
11 used & new from $265.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Fast. Mac Users Need Chrome. Tips/Throughput Numbers in Review, May 17, 2016
I purchased 2 of these units to and a AC68U to replace 5 Unifi AC Pro Access Points. I am very happy with the performance. I have both running in access point mode and the 68U as a repeater. Setup was initially confusing as this unit expects to be in router mode on its first boot and if you don't connect to it over a wire then finding its address even with router.asus.com was confusing or didn't appear to work. I found that connecting to it via the generic Asus Wifi name was the easiest way to do it and then set it to access point mode or whatever. In smart connect mode it appears to be passing clients on to the stronger signal when available and roaming seamlessly. I left reduce USB 3.0 interference on and am getting 30MB/s transfers over a wire and up to 21MB/s transfers over wifi to a USB 3.0 hard drive for Time machine backups. I got Speedtest results over Wifi ranging from 300Mbs - 600Mbps Up and Down depending on the origin of the speed test, and yes I know the numbers can vary widely. Either way, rock solid throughput. Chrome browser seems more reliable than Safari on a Mac. USB Applications don't show up in Safari but do on Chrome. I streamed photos to my TV using the DLNA server without issue. I was not able to drag and drop files to the attached disk through Finder even though I was logged in. It seemed to be a permissions thing. I ended using FTP. I think when you attach a disk it must have to prepare it somehow because I was not able to do Time Machine backups initially after attaching the disk. The next day it did without changing anything. The name of the backup disk changed as well and did not match what I named it on the router. Nevertheless it worked. It may be that the SAMBA access also requires the drive be somehow prepared and that I can now drag and drop files. I have not used any of the other features. Front LEDS at least helpful to know where you are in the boot up process. Overall, quite happy with it as it solved several problems. Speed was as fast or faster than my prior Apple Airport Extremes. I can now do much faster network backups without the need for an additional machine (Raspberry PI or linux laptop). I now have a DLNA server that appears to actually work and not struggle to serve media. The Unifi AP handled Wifi well....when it worked.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2016 10:53 AM PDT

ASUS Dual-Band AC1900 Repeater Range Extender Media Bridge Access Point with USB 3.0 (RP-AC68U)
Price: $159.99
43 used & new from $135.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Range/Throughput...if you can get it setup**Updated**, May 13, 2016
Update 5/17/16: Asus contacted me after leaving the initial review and explained how to get the SSIDs combined. It may work in access point mode but I didn't try it since I changed my setup. The lack of LED indicators or a legend (that I could find) explaining what slow blinking wifi lights mean makes it confusing as to what the box is doing (rebooting, confused, factory default). The easiest way to control it, regardless of you endpoint, is to connect to the generic wifi SSID it puts out initially so you can control it and not get stuck in the repeater.asus.com loop. It should have been easier over a wire when you already know the IP address but it wasn't. See my review of the AC3100 for a comparison.
******************************
Original Review
I used this in conjunction with the Asus RT-AC3100. I never could get it work as an access point in my system and I don't know why. I have Google Fiber box providing DHCP. Every time I changed it to access point mode I would lose connectivity to the box or if I connected wirelessly to it I never got a DHCP address. I never found a way around this. I would pass on that you must be patient with this box when making changes. I could not find a clear way to figure out what the box was doing. Most of the time it was rebooting when I made changes but I had no way of knowing. The setup assistant would just say "Connect to your extended network..." but in reality the box was rebooting and nothing would work. Once you figure out your IP address for the box write it down. Next time you make a change, don't assume it failed until that IP address isn't available for a couple of minutes. After that I settled for repeater mode and it works fine. The range is excellent and throughput is very good. Depending on the speed test I get up to 75/100 down/up with Fiber. As a comparison, I get 350mbps down if I am connected wirelessly to the RT-AC3100. I have not done much with the roaming/beamforming etc.I knocked two stars off for the 6 hours lost trying to set it up which includes 42 minutes on the phone with Asus support that was not helpful at all. Polite rep but clearly had no idea based on the amount of dead air between us. I gave up an said good bye.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2016 1:18 PM PDT

Aukey SuperSpeed Aluminum Dual Bay USB 3.0 to 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Docking Station HDD Enclosure for 3.5" HDD & SSD [12TB Support] with 75mm Cooling Fan, DS-B5

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for the Money. Compatible with iMac 5K, July 25, 2015
Unit works as promised. Only real complaint is the loud fan that runs off and on even when the unit computer is asleep. Otherwise it is a great value for the money. I have a 6TB HDD and a 1TB SSD running just fine with fast transfer rates.

Acer B286HK ymjdpprz 28-inch UHD 4K2K (3840 x 2160) Widescreen Display with ErgoStand
Price: $399.99
54 used & new from $329.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Change Color Profile to ColorMatch RGB on a Mac, Scales Well, December 19, 2014
I bought 2 of these locally to use with my Mac Pro 5,1 and nVidia 970 GTX. So far I am impressed with the screen real estate for the price. I don't play video games so I don't know how it looks. The screen is definitely washed out compared to my prior panel. I changed the color profile to Colormatch RGB in Display Preferences and it made a huge differences. To be sure, I don't know if it is the "true" color for Yosemite but it looks much closer to my original Philips monitor. This monitor also scales well. When I am not doing video editing, I run it at 2560x1440 and the images and text look fine. Definitely worth the money.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Read Description Carefully, I didn't., December 5, 2014
Wish I had read the description better. I didn't buy from the company that offers the warranty. I bought 2. The first one started sparking when you plugged it in to the computer. The second one wouldn't connect consistently with the computer. Gave up and bought official Apple adapters. Perhaps the Ropee sold ones are useful. The two companies I bought from were not.

White Fang
White Fang
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, August 20, 2014
This review is from: White Fang (Kindle Edition)
the book was ok but was kind of lame I thought the story was unique even though I was required to read it. Written by son of TourniquetRules

Honestly: My Life and Stryper Revealed
Honestly: My Life and Stryper Revealed
by Dave Rose
Price: $24.95
32 used & new from $15.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Revealing, June 13, 2014
Ever wondered how Christian bands deal with challenges on the road and at home? Here is your chance. The opening of the book (as in first paragraph of the first chapter) is blunt to say the least. After that it is a very interesting journey. Michael Sweet handles some very tough topics well whether you agree with him or not. The Against the Law album makes much more sense to me now.

MakerGear M2 Desktop 3D Printer, Black
MakerGear M2 Desktop 3D Printer, Black
Price: $1,825.00
4 used & new from $1,500.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent support makes the difference, June 13, 2014
I upgraded from an Up Mini to this machine. Very happy with the results. It certainly has a steeper learning curve but well worth it. I would recommend this machine over others just for the support. Make no mistake, this is a sturdy machine that delivers once fine tuned. Getting tuned was the challenge. Regardless, the fact that MakerGear actively supports this printer made the difference. I had poor tech support for the Up Mini. I had read about poor support from other companies as well. The ability to get quick replies to questions and ability to order parts from a US based store was the deciding difference. The Up Mini is definitely easier to get going but keeping it going was the challenge.
Tip: Use a feeler guide to level the platform/set your Z end stop and buy a 7mm wrench made for small engines. Thingiverse can help you with other MakerGear M2 parts as well. Spray your bed down with Windex to apply Kapton tape.

Octave Green/White Glow ABS Filament for 3D Printers - 1.75mm 1kg Spool
Octave Green/White Glow ABS Filament for 3D Printers - 1.75mm 1kg Spool

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not GLOW IN THE DARK for me, June 13, 2014
The filament itself is fine for printing. It did not glow in the dark for me. If it did, it didn't last very long at all.

Huawei E5776 150 Mbps 4G LTE & 42 Mbps 3G Mobile WiFi Hotspot (4G LTE in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa & 3G globally)
5 used & new from $134.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me with T-mobile in USA using standard no-contract nano-SIM, June 13, 2014
I chose this model because it is unlocked and had excellent reviews compared to the official T-mobile offerings. It boots fast and works as expected. I had to manually enter the APN for T-mobile. After that, no problems. I like the fact that the LCD tells you how much data you have used. In my case, I took a sim card out of an iPhone 5s and put it in a nano to standard SIM card adapter. My only real problem was the SIM card adapter doesn't want to stay in unless the SIM door is closed tight. There is a sticker on the front of the hotspot essentially telling you not to use an adapter but a standard card. I had no problems ejecting as others have mentioned. It never said LTE, only 3G on the LCD even though I think I have the correct bands available in my area to support it. That said, the speeds were consistent with LTE in my area. Random testing done by someone else while I was driving came back consistently at 14mbps/3mbps even supporting 2 Netflix streams simultaneously. Well worth the money. I did stream some videos from an micro-SD card in the hotspot just to test it. I also found the wifi easily reached through 2 levels of my home without issue. I have no idea how it works internationally.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2015 12:50 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3