Profile for Larry J. Crockett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Larry J. Crockett RSS Feed (Twin Cities Minnesota)

Page: 1 | 2
Richard Rorty (Bloomsbury Contemporary American Thinkers)
Richard Rorty (Bloomsbury Contemporary American Thinkers)
by Ronald Alexander Kuipers
Price: $21.42
53 used & new from $13.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes he relies on secondary sources more than I might like, but as a general introduction to Rorty's thought, November 23, 2014
I am using this book in a first-year course that explores the history of ideas. The course culminates in an exploration of Rorty's thought, most notably his remarkable "Redemptive Truth" essay. That essay can be daunting for students who come to it without some background in Rorty's more or less post-modern construal of American pragmatism. To be sure, the students are struggling with the book but I think they are winning the battle because it generally very clear and accessible, at times even inspirational. Sometimes he relies on secondary sources more than I might like, but as a general introduction to Rorty's thought, there is no better book at present. I recommend it.

Flavor Of The Earth Pure Ceylon Cinnamon Powder Spice Pack. All Natural - 1 Lb Premium Grade - Freshly Ground and Packed For Maximum Purity And Freshness. Resealable Pouch.
Offered by To You Direct
Price: $34.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 22, 2014
Best cinnamon by far that I have ever had. Simply elegant.

Dark California Raisins 5 Pound Bag (Bulk)
Dark California Raisins 5 Pound Bag (Bulk)
Offered by We Got Nuts
Price: $15.99
4 used & new from $13.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good raisins., April 10, 2014
They are very and meet my expectations. As a result, I will be ordering more and making these a part of the family diet. Very pleased

Apple MacBook Air MD760LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Apple MacBook Air MD760LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Offered by GoodDeal Electronics (NoTax)
Price: $886.68
54 used & new from $646.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Computer Science Prof and the Mac Book Air, November 28, 2013
I have had my 13" MBA for a month and am using it to replace an iPad, whose virtues are considerable but I decided I wanted a more conventional laptop for reasons I will detail below.

With an upgrade to Mavericks, my new MBA's software is current, but I should note I opted for the low-end machine since I wanted maximum battery life and minimal weight. I was taken by claims of a PC magazine review which claimed 12-14 hours of battery life for the new MBA. I wanted all-day battery life so I would not have to bring the charger along (or so I wouldn't panic when I forgot it). It does that, though there have been a couple of close calls when I do 15-hour days. I was struck by the positive review in this specific publication--in fact it rated the MacBook Pro higher than 9 other Windows machines ([...] Perhaps we can get past the silly PC-Mac wars of yesteryear: according to PC Magazine, Apple builds top-drawer laptops.

The 13" MBA has longer battery life and a back-lit display, as well as the larger screen. My wife has an 11" MBA but that did not interest me. I would have liked the "Retina" display, which is not currently available in the Air, but not at the price of reduced battery life. It will be a while, I suspect, before we can get 15-hour battery life, Retina-display quality in the monitor, and the lighter elegance of the Air in one package. My iPad was a "Retina" model and therefore it had a better display. So you might choose an iPad Air over the Mac Book Air for that reason. But I wanted the larger screen and the accurate rendering of web pages, in a conventional browser such as Chrome, for the computer science courses I teach, hence my choice.

I was surprised in a Monday night course I teach, consisting mainly of business students, that about 70% had Mac laptops--breaking the stereotype. A couple were running Windows using Parallels and commented, "Macs make very good Windows machines!" Macs are generally more expensive but also seem to be better made, more reliable and hold their resale better. At least that has been my experience over 25 years of teaching computer science. I still have a high regard for HP, but it's facing a Windows market that suppresses margins that are needed for quality R&D and production. I regret that, particularly for a company with HP's storied history.

All in all, I am well pleased with my purchase and recommend it to all Mac OS (and Windows) users.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2013 1:08 PM PST

Tecnu Extreme Medicated Poison Ivy Scrub (4 oz)
Tecnu Extreme Medicated Poison Ivy Scrub (4 oz)
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $13.13
45 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well when used topically, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Tecnu Poison Ivy Scrub by Tecnu
I have been using Tecnu for several years since I am often in a wooded area with poison ivy. I found that it works well but I use it in a somewhat different way than suggested in the directions. Instead of using it as a scrub (I am skeptical that scrubbing p.i. is a good idea in any case), I use it topically by mixing it with cold water, applying it sparingly, then allowing it to dry completely. I am convinced the cooling effect of evaporation is part of the reason it works well this way--hot water, sweat, and warm temperatures make poison ivy worse. This is especially important to do under clothing that will be worn for the day since clothing chafes p.i. It also helps to do this right before retiring for the day and then sleeping as God created us.

While I am no dermatologist and others might have a different experience given how variable we are, and someone more knowledgable might comment that this is harmful to skin, I have had only good results and no adverse effects in the several years I have been doing this.

A fine product indeed.

Swisher WB11524BS Predator 24-Inch Walk Behind Rough Cut Mower
Swisher WB11524BS Predator 24-Inch Walk Behind Rough Cut Mower

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable choice, May 25, 2013
I have had one of these for about 10 years and it has served me reasonably well. It does the job and I have had no major problems. It is not the quality of a DR but is half the price.

One comment I want to make is that the price is not good. It is currently 1329 at Northern Tool and used to be 1499 at Amazon. I am a fan of Amazon, but you have to watch the prices. This is not a good price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2014 2:43 AM PDT

Waxman 4323499N 3-Inch Heavy Duty Rubber Swivel Plate Caster
Waxman 4323499N 3-Inch Heavy Duty Rubber Swivel Plate Caster
Offered by Geroy's
Price: $11.82
2 used & new from $11.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid caster, July 11, 2011
This is a substantial caster with a decent ability to support weight. My only observation is that these are available at Lowes for 6.46. That's a lot less than the price here which entails shipping as well.

Apple iPad 2 MC769LL/A Tablet ( iOS 7,16GB, WiFi) Black 2nd Generation
Apple iPad 2 MC769LL/A Tablet ( iOS 7,16GB, WiFi) Black 2nd Generation
Offered by syounus1
Price: $324.69
209 used & new from $139.00

2,081 of 2,178 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars iPad pros and cons, April 23, 2011
People need to be aware that the reviews you see for the iPad often reflect the old Mac/PC platform wars with some people making comments who simply don't like iPads from a distance, without actually owning one, because they see it as part of the deplorable Apple mania they find so distasteful. They're entitled to their opinion, of course, but it is unfortunate they skew the evaluation of this product without the deep acquaintance one needs in order to give it an insightful evaluation.

I have taught computer science at the college level for 26 years and have had computers with all kinds of operating systems. I don't own Apple stock and have never known anyone who works at Apple. I therefore have no connection to Apple.

I have had my iPad for about a month and read a fair number of reviews before I purchased, spent some time using one at the store, and thought about what I might use one for, in contrast to my laptop with which I am well satisfied. People too often think of computers in terms of hardware, the specs and looks, instead of the software and the functionality. You should ask yourself, "What will I use this for that solves a problem I would like to have solved?" Software is always more important than hardware, even though it is the hardware that makes an impression.

The iPad is not a laptop and is not principally a production computer, that is, a computer on which you are going to develop web pages, do serious graphics editing, or write a book. You could use your new Taurus to tow a trailer, but that is not what it is designed to do well. These things can increasingly be done on an iPad, but I don't believe they will ever be what it is best at. It is a portable media machine with an inviting touch interface that requires a somewhat different set of skills, which take a modest amount of time to learn. Surfing the web, checking email, watching movies, playing games, looking at new cars, reading the Economist magazine, all work better on an iPad than a laptop. It does these things very well indeed. There are now 80,000 apps for a wide variety of activities--given its design intent. The apps are either free or reasonably priced, so you can get a bunch from the "app store" for little investment. As with Amazon, you can see what other people think of an app before getting one.

This would be a splendid acquisition for small children, for teens deep into social networking, for an adult wanting to drop into the love seat for a quick look at what is happening in the world, for a senior citizen who wants a simple, inviting system with few hassles, to stay in touch with grandchildren. The iPad is not a light laptop; it is instead a different way to use computing to do a wide variety of consumption and communication--not principally production.

In my experience, its wi-fi is adroit from one environment to another. It "knows" where it is geographically, scans its environment for wi-fi, and accesses wi-fi seamlessly. At this point in time, we should expect no less. I cannot address the 3G communications since I have a wi-fi only (I am not convinced of the value of the 3G and I can use my phone as a hotspot). I have never had it crash, though I have had to back myself out of apps that seemed to have no logical next step. This was the result either of my ignorance or the fact that there is less of a standard user interface from app to app than there is in classical GUIs such as OS X and Windows.

For the laptop lugging road-warrior, it should be noted, this is not going to be a full replacement. I now take my laptop and my iPad when I go into the college. But much of the time there, I use my iPad because it is so light, convenient and useable. I use it to teach my classes and often reference traditional texts from the iPad instead of lugging them along to class. I develop my own web pages on my 27" desktop which is the right environment for such development; I wouldn't expect to do that on an iPad. In education (and evidently in medicine), it is proving to be a real boon. The enterprise situations where portable information access and transmission are critical will find this a compelling solution. The heavy Photoshop user or music track editor will still need a conventional computer, either laptop or desktop.

I purchased the 64GB version, which may be more storage than I need. But since it will drive my 50" screen downstairs I figured I would begin to load lots of pictures and favored music, so it may prove a wise choice in the long run. It can swallow up entire evenings with the music-augmented slide shows it can do. In fact, you may begin to wonder if you need cable TV. Conventional content providers should be worried about the iPad since it provides yet another way for the user to determine viewing experience. But if you are still drawn to cable, it makes a fine remote control.

Before people evaluate this new kind of computing, they need to spend a month or so with it to identify what it does well and what would be better left to other kinds of computing solutions. I fear some of the evaluations here (both glowing and critical) are not well informed and so do not serve the readers well. So read these reviews with a critical eye.

October 18 2011 Update:

I continue to find my iPad remarkably productive and productive in ways I would not have anticipated. It does indeed redefine how we can use computing so that it does the work we want to do with minimal impediments. I now leave my laptop at school and take my iPad back and forth since 80 or 90% of the time the iPad does all I need to do. I use it 3 or 4 hours a day.

I just ordered my wife an 11" MacBook Air with the larger RAM and storage, which might seem to contradict what I said in my review. I don't believe it does for the following reasons. She needs to do serious editing of Word documents for the volunteer work she does for the college and still wants the joys of a 2-pound piece of elegant hardware. She is an excellent typist and likes the feel of the Air's keyboard. A keyboard can be added to an iPad, but it's a kludgy add-on that compromises the point of the iPad: an ultra-light slim, touch-interface device that does most of what traditional computing does without the impediments of mouse and keyboard and weight. The 11" Air is a gem of engineering with many of the advantages of the iPad but it is more capable of the production I spoke of in my review since it is a full OS X Lion machine--so it is fully capable of running traditional production software such as Word or Photoshop or, for that matter, Windows.

The Air and the iPad illustrate the difference between a consumption device (iPad) and a production device (Air). Much of what is appealing in the iPad can be had in the Air, but at the cost of an additional several hundred dollars. It's not the solution I want since I don't want the keyboard getting in the way when I want to curl up with a consumption device in my favorite love seat or use it to assist my teaching in class. My wife prefers the Air since email and other typing-intensive production activities are so important to her. In a word, the iPad is distilled essence of computationally assisted consumption.

I guess we will give the phrase "mixed marriage" new meaning!
Comment Comments (57) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2015 9:35 AM PST

The Pragmatic Turn
The Pragmatic Turn
by Richard J. Bernstein
Price: $20.58
44 used & new from $15.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the Best of Its Kind, December 26, 2010
This review is from: The Pragmatic Turn (Paperback)
There are few books of such marvelous clarity as Bernstein's new book on pragmatism. But it is not simply a book on pragmatism, it provides the reader with a gentle, generous review of a lifetime of reflecting on major issues and major thinkers in philosophy. He doesn't write to impress but to enlighten and excite interest in general issues of philosophy and pragmatism as the singular American contribution to philosophy more specifically. Personal reflections are interwoven in a very appealing manner, without sacrificing a high level of philosophic accomplishment. Hilary Putnam has heaped high praise on this book. As I make my way through it for a second time, I marvel at how much I am learning. Thank you, Prof. Bernstein, for this capstone to your distinguished career.

LumiSource Sheffield 72-Inch Floor Lamp
LumiSource Sheffield 72-Inch Floor Lamp

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, December 10, 2010
This is a good looking lamp and everything works and it casts a pleasant light as I expected. I am a long-term, satisfied Amazon customer and count it as a major asset. However, this lamp is a major disappointment. It is obvious that this is a repackaged return. The frame is bent and there is a major chunk missing from the table. It took an hour to assemble, with two people working to overcome the bent frame and off-kilter screws. I would return it if it weren't such a hassle to assemble and such a challenge to unpack. Of course, it leans to the left. Again, the light it casts is pleasant and attractive. With its defects, it looks like an astute $20 purchase from a garage sale, and it would be worth that, but not the $118 I paid for it. If I had too many experiences like this, I would no longer use Amazon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2011 6:47 PM PST