Profile for Garland Griever > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Garland Griever RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mel
Mel
by Liz Berry
33 used & new from $3.39

1.0 out of 5 stars What the hell did I just read?, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Mel (Hardcover)
Picked this up one afternoon at my local library, I had no idea about the incredible insanity that was about to unfold. Spoilers!

Mel lives with her mentally unstable mother, she has low self esteem and no self respect. His mother is abusive and a hoarder, and Mel contemplates suicide. It is not long after this that the story stumbles. The mother gets taken away an vanishes from the rest of the book, till her forced reintroduction and rehabilitation at the end. This about happens to every other character as well. She makes a friend who is the ever so classy sassy black friend then she helps fix up her house and also disappears until the plot needs her again (mainly to tell Mel to show of her tits in an ugly party dress and in weirder part of the book asks Mel if she's keeping her baby, when she just had sex the night before? what?) And then there's the ending. After some Rock/party/event that gets real slapsticky, I was hoping she would break up with Whatshisfacerockerguy and grow a spine (Dude seemed pretty Bi-Polar to me.) but no. Mel becomes a Mary Sue. Every character just fawns over her and is ready to bend over backwards for her. Such absurdities appear in the plot that I had to either laugh out loud or reiterate passages to my sister just to confirm what the hell I read was real.

Like a River Glorious (Victorian Serenade #1)
Like a River Glorious (Victorian Serenade #1)
by Lawana Blackwell
80 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull as dishwater., November 25, 2013
I bought this at the store my sister works at. I was attracted to it because of the Victorian setting and what I thought would be a promising story premise. Spoilers

The characters are dull ,dull, dull with the exception of our one antagonist Corrine, who sees the error of her ways and would have made a much more interesting lead than Rachel. The problem lies with Blackwell , her characters are defined by broad strokes of black and white. My sister told me that this book series had very religious aspects, which I have no problem with that is when it's used right (Les Miserables comes to mind) here our "good" characters are so righteous and good that they are more archetypes than people. And her one "bad" character Gerald is just downright unsavory.
The thing is Blackwell goes out of her way to punish Corrine (at one point seeming to suggest that her abuse by Gerald was brought on by herself!) and vilifies how she is bad with children? This made me more sympathetic towards her than bland, non-judgemental, oblivious to her own gorgeousness Rachel.

Vagrant Story
Vagrant Story
Offered by Electric Lime Gaming
Price: $119.97
88 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but Fun, March 14, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Vagrant Story (Video Game)
After doing some research on this game, I finally bought it. The last time I played it, it was a rental from my video store. It was a little daunting playing this game as I had heard how "Nintendo Hard" it was. It gives you challanges sure, but that makes it only more rewarding when you overcome those challenges. That said it's a slow paced game and an older one that not might be appreciated for those who grew up with flashy graphics of much recent games, but older gamers might appreciate what I think is a rather but nonetheless gorgeous game of a bygone era when games were more substance that style.

Phantom Death
Phantom Death
by Sadie Montgomery
Price: $16.98
43 used & new from $8.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoilers Ahead!, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Phantom Death (Paperback)
First I'll start with the good about this book, it's short. And the bad?..oh there is so much bad though not as bad as the first book Phoenix of the Opera. But why did I read this book if I hated the first one? Glutton for punishment I guess. Now I have to give credit where credit is due, this would be a good story on its own NOT as a Phantom story. She just slapped names and descriptions from Phantom of the Opera characters on hers because they don't in any way shape or form resemble the originals, they are Phantom of the Opera characters "In name only". I guess you can explain these changes through character development, but even that is not done in a way that is believable. An example would be how she takes the proud and vain Carlotta who you'd think would be a broken woman at this point, and makes her a slavering Gerik fangirl. She does this by retconing Piangi's death only to unceremoniously write him out ( even though he had an interesting story thread of losing his voice, trying to make a comeback etc) And then sticks Carlotta with her handsomely bland OC, but not until we are given loads upon loads of descriptions about how she is in awe of the Phantom's raw McManliness till you start to wonder why he hid down the cellars at all if the entire ensemble is fawning over him. (oh that right it's Gerik Phantom, so the worst he has is that third degree sunburn as Montgomery does not know how to write proper deformity)Her way of dealing with Carlotta really irks me. She villifies a character,who yeah was not a nice person to start with but nonetheless had every right to be seeking vengence against the man who wronged her, only to have her bend to his (and the bland OC she ends up with) sexual charms, as if to say all she needed was a big strong man and to get laid to see the error of her ways. I won't even get into the main "villan" Leroux who is more like how the Phantom should be and a knockoff Javert to boot, or Gerik's cutesey little orphan family. If you read any book this year.. make it anyone but this.

Mr. Darcy's Obsession (A Pride and Prejudice Variation)
Mr. Darcy's Obsession (A Pride and Prejudice Variation)
by Abigail Reynolds
Price: $12.94
60 used & new from $0.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel, September 8, 2012
I'm surprised so many people liked this book, maybe they know something I don't know because I found it quite hard to stomach. Reasons being: I found the characters quite changed but not for the better. I understand that this book was a "variation" on the original but all the characters were well, Mr. Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet in name only. This book mainly consists of lenghty conversations between Elizabeth and Darcy with bits of drama sprinkled throughout just for the sake of having drama. Points:

1. There is a sidestory involving a maid that I could give two rats about and we are told she is related to the Darcys..somehow..and is also strikeingly pretty or so we are told everytime she makes an appearance, everybody just loves her and those who don't are obviously the villians of this piece, yeah she stinks of Mary Sue.

2. Darcy in concerned with the plight of the poor but only so to make him self more noble in Elizabeths eyes and for his own selfish conscience, and is appalled with the thought of Elizabeth having to do chores such as *gasp* folding pieces of ribbon and finds working menial chores beneath them both as he plans to have a bunch of servants after their married.

3. These chores the Elizabeth takes to help out her ailing sister could be used to further develop her character and showcase her wit... but no, she rather complain about how she has chapped hands and how her sister must be miserable with her work even though she just mentioned how she is quite content with her life whaaa?

tldr?: This book stinks!

The Phoenix of the Opera
The Phoenix of the Opera
by Sadie Montgomery
Price: $13.93
44 used & new from $4.42

1.0 out of 5 stars the creeping terror, August 6, 2012
"Hey I wrote this fanfiction I think it has merit"-Sadie Montgomery

There are no words to the awefulness..well actually a few.
This book..oh lord this book, I knew it was going to be bad when I found out that she was apparently baseing it around the 2004 movie, you can tell by how often she rehashes past events over and over ad nauseum. If this book was intended to get you to root for the Phantom she does a horrible job. She tries to justify his stalking and attempted rape of Christine and forgets that while he murdered Buquet (she justifies this by stating that he was basically a scumbag) he also murdered Piangi who absolutely did nothing to earn his ire besides being Carlotta's lover. Also he learns nothing by the end of the book determined to stalk Christine till the end of time. Also towards the edn he's all buddy buddy with Raoul despite the fact that he tried to force himself on his wife, but he's really really sorry so that makes it all okay apparently?

It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita
by Heather B. Armstrong
Price: $13.85
110 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Baby Blog AHOY!, August 6, 2012
It started out as an interesting, but then lost steam after she has the baby. I found it hard to be interested in anything about her wonder child. This might be a good read for people who have or are expecting children, but other than that it sounds like that annoying facebook friend who goes on and on about how fascinating it is that their child can now eat solid food and giggles when it farts. Riveting stuff...Should be titled "Stuff my Baby Does". oh and there was something about depression but we'll get back to that after we explain in detail how the baby can now kick off it's socks.

The Big O II, Vol. 2: Missing Pieces
The Big O II, Vol. 2: Missing Pieces
DVD ~ Mitsuru Miyamoto
11 used & new from $3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Adult Swim is back in session., April 22, 2011
I remember staying up late at night watching this on Adult Swim with my sister, it's one of those animes for people who don't usually like animes. It has a more Film Noir art style as opposed to conventional big eyes,crazy hair anime style. Oh and theres robots..lots and lots of robots.

Jetsons: The Movie
Jetsons: The Movie
DVD ~ William Hanna
Price: $9.72
54 used & new from $2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars JETSON!, April 28, 2009
This review is from: Jetsons: The Movie (DVD)
This is one of those movies that I never get tired of watching. It has an intriguing plot,original voice actors, and the music is pretty good too.
This is a movie that you can enjoy and share with your kids and in my opinion does Hanna and Barbera proud.

The Lion King 1 1/2
The Lion King 1 1/2
DVD ~ Nathan Lane
14 used & new from $3.12

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film to view, March 2, 2009
This review is from: The Lion King 1 1/2 (DVD)
The Lion King 1 1/2 is a pretty good movie overall. I bought this one for my sisters birthday as she let someone borrow her copy of it and it was lost. I Like how it tells the classic Lion KIng story from a different perspective and was well done overall. I did not feel like the animation was unfinished because it was a sequel and that tends to happen with them. I would recommend this movie, it is one kids and parents will like because it is funny and connects to their original favorite very well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3