Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Fred > Reviews

Browse

Fred's Profile

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Fred RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare - Xbox 360
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare - Xbox 360
Offered by Awesome Fun Time
Price: Click here to see our price
231 used & new from $5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY MISLEADING! YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PAY EXTRA TO PLAY THIS GAME!, May 24, 2014
You are REQUIRED to have an Xbox Live membership to play this game. That's right, on top of the $30 price (as of this writing) you must also pay for Xbox Live Gold membership ($60 per year). Of course, that info is down at the bottom of the box near the "Rated E for everyone" logo; in other words, in an area you'd never look. Plus you'd never look there because who would EXPECT that the game will have that kind of requirement??? When games require the Kinect, it says so right at the top in big letters. In this one it's down in an area that doesn't call attention to itself and requires reading glasses (for people who need them).

And the fact that they don't allow even a basic offline mode is shameful. There's no reason it can't have that. I'm not even going to review the game itself because screw you PopCap!!!!!

THE BLACK SKULL (The Books of the Dead Book 1)
THE BLACK SKULL (The Books of the Dead Book 1)
Price: $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool!, November 1, 2013
A friend recommended The Black Skull and I FINALLY got around to reading this after a couple months of being too busy to devote the time. I'm glad I waited, because I ended up reading it in three big chunks, which I wouldn't have been able to do before. It's not really a genre I'm familiar with and I'd be a little hard-pressed to label it, other than "fantasy," which is too broad a term to help anyone. The story is set in a world similar to earth of maybe a thousand or more years ago. This world has been taken over by dark forces and magic under the control of a race of vampires (NOT like Twilight-- thank goodness-- or Dracula). Against those dark forces, humans are nearing extinction but they're not going to give up without a fight. That's about all I can say without giving any spoilers or repeating what other people have already written. For not having any idea what to expect (my friend just said "read it, I promise you'll like it"), I ended up really liking this and I look forward to the next one.

College: Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray]
College: Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Buster Keaton
Price: $22.99
15 used & new from $16.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Keaton for the sports fan, June 15, 2013
College may not be Keaton's best, but it's still Keaton AT his best, if that makes any sense. The story is very simple and is clearly just there to hang gags on. But what gags! Many of them are sports gags (baseball, track and field, etc.) and Buster was clearly having a great time with them. The Blu-ray looks very good and is noticeably better than the DVD though it's not as nice as The General or some other silents out there. Given how old the film is, and the overall history of Hollywood and its film prints, it's understandable. But College has never looked as good as this on home video, and I have it in every incarnation all the way back to a VHS bootleg in the late 80's. I wish there was an alternate score with organ. I don't know why, but I prefer Keaton with organ scores. Maybe it's from seeing his films so many times in Los Angeles at the Silent Theater in the 90's with organ accompaniment. Still, this disc is highly recommended.

RCA Multi-Directional, Flat Digital Indoor HDTV Antenna
RCA Multi-Directional, Flat Digital Indoor HDTV Antenna
Price: $14.89
176 used & new from $2.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a better than expected, June 15, 2013
Although not rated for long distances, this is pulling in stations from 45 miles away. The majority of broadcast towers around here are about 30 miles away and this antenna is doing a great job. They're digital stations, so it's easy to see if there's any interference. Some stations are getting some, but they're stations I'm not familiar with, so I don't know where they're coming from (nor, for those, do I care). My line of sight is clear though, so take that into account with the overall mileage. I saw a review here from NYC that says it's not doing well even at only 11 miles. NYC obviously has a different signal environment than areas that aren't as urban.

I have it sitting right behind a 45" flat screen. I like that this antenna doesn't need power/amplification.

Logitech 982-000079 UE 6000 Headphones - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Logitech 982-000079 UE 6000 Headphones - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
22 used & new from $64.00

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY disappointed in these, March 8, 2013
I had high hopes for these headphones but those hopes were dashed. These were a gift and the person I bought them for didn't get to try them until beyond the return date, and when we did try them it turned out that the noise cancellation wasn't working. Fine, not a problem because Logitech has good customer support. They sent out a new set and they arrived reasonably promptly (although since I was the one who place the original order, the replacement came to me). They sent the wrong color, but that's not an issue at all. The issue is that while the noise cancellation was working on these, it's pretty terrible. I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15's and they absolutely blow away the UE6000's in noise cancellation. It's not even close-- if the Bose are a 10, the UE's are a 2. They're definitely working, but there's not nearly as much cancellation as the Bose. I know the Bose cost $100 more, but since the UE6000's have so little noise cancellation I could have just gotten a $100 pair of headphones and saved $100. If I'm paying $100 for noise cancellation I want them to work.

One other thing I DON'T like, especially compared to the Bose, is the carrying case. It's harder to use than the Bose case and there's no reason for it other than that Logitech tried to be cool and different, putting form over function.

I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1 star because while the noise cancellation is lousy, the sound of the headphones is very good. Depending on your taste, you may even like the sound better than the Bose. Also, the build quality is good, as is the feel of them when you wear them. But I'd recommend the UE4000 over these because they're the same, minus the not-very-effective noise cancellation and are only $100.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2013 8:01 PM PDT

G7 Power G7G30W9  50-watt Equivalent LED Globe 600 Lumen Dimmable G30 Light Bulb
G7 Power G7G30W9 50-watt Equivalent LED Globe 600 Lumen Dimmable G30 Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, March 8, 2013
I'm very happy with this bulb. Another reviewer said his didn't last two months but as I write this mine is still going strong a little beyond the two month point. (If it breaks any time soon I'll update my review.) The color is nice and very incandescent-like, and it turns on right away, unlike the fluorescent globe bulb it's replacing. Not much more I can say.

UPDATE APRIL 14, 2013: It's been four months now and still working. But the main reason for this update is to say there's no delay when it turns on, so I removed that bit from the review. (I had confused it with another LED bulb I'd installed on the same day.)

Funny: The Book - Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Comedy
Funny: The Book - Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Comedy
by David Misch
Price: $16.27
59 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish it was as good as the other reviewers seemed to think it was..., March 8, 2013
This book was not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped it was, given Misch's background. I'm a fan of a lot of shows he's written for and/or produced, but this book just didn't do it for me. It should have just been called "funny people I like." His choice of comics/comedians was great (Groucho, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Buster Keaton, Woody Allen) but it wasn't much more than a trip through memory lane. For people below the age of, I don't know, maybe 30, this book might be a good introduction to comedians of the past-- comedians who inspired the comedians of today-- but it's very superficial. And surprisingly Misch tries too hard to be funny and ends up failing most of the time (not to say he fails all the time, he does have a few good ones). He also gets some facts and dates wrong. For example, he lists Modern Times as a 1932 release but it's actually 1936. Yeah, maybe that's a minor quibble, but when you're talking about how much you like a film, don't you get things like that right? And while it was nice that he liked the house facade falling on Buster Keaton, he could have mentioned that it had been in many films before. And on the subject of Keaton, it was his neck that he fractured, not his collar bone. That's a pretty odd thing to get wrong when it's important enough to be the title of a chapter.

My first impulse was to give the book less stars, maybe 1 or 2, but I'm giving it 3 because the book (hopefully) will inspire younger people, (or older people who haven't been exposed to the folks discussed in the book) to go out and watch those films. It's not a "bad" book, it's just that it could have been 1/4 as long and covered just as much.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2013 10:50 AM PDT

The Thief of Bagdad [Blu-ray]
The Thief of Bagdad [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Douglas Fairbanks
Price: $14.39
17 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great Blu-ray!, March 8, 2013
I just watched this on a 10 foot wide screen and am happy to say it looks spectacular and sounds great (I've always liked Carl Davis' score for this). It's easily the best presentation this film has ever had on home video, and I've had them all. I haven't had a chance to listen to the audio commentary with it yet, but I've heard other commentaries by Jeff Vance and they're always very good so I have no reason to doubt this one will be too.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, January 11, 2013
There's not much you can say about fuses but since there are no other reviews for this and some people may be curious (as I was), I figure I'll leave a review. I ordered these for a Chef's Choice meat slicer and they work great. And since they're not shipped from Amazon, I'll comment on the fulfillment company, TTL Components, so you'll know how the ordering and shipping was: The shipping was fast and the fuses were packaged in a safe, though not fancy way. They were in a tiny unlabeled Zip-Loc style baggie and mailed in a bubble-insulated envelope. Like I said, nothing fancy, but it was all fine. And prompt. My four star rating doesn't necessarily mean "these are the greatest fuses ever," it simply means that they work as advertised and there are no problems or issues for which I felt I should take any stars away.

Melanie's Marvelous Measles
Melanie's Marvelous Measles
by Stephanie Messenger
Price: $17.56
26 used & new from $14.78

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously and Stupidly Wrong (CAUTION: FACTS IN THIS REVIEW), January 11, 2013
Amazon should remove this book from their site because it is wrong in an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS way. It's based on anecdote, which, sorry to say, is not science. Her kid did OK with the measles? Great, wonderful, but guess what? Want to know how marvelous measles are? Here are some actual facts: In 2010, there were 139 300 measles deaths globally - nearly 380 deaths every day or 15 deaths every hour. (Source: WHO [World Health Organization] Fact sheet N°286 April 2012)

Here's why anecdotes are not valid for science or statistics: "I had a friend who drove drunk several times and he didn't get into an accident." Should drunk driving be legal? Does my anecdote prove ANYTHING? No, it proves NOTHING and it is not a valid fact to base your actions (for you to drive drunk) or the actions of others on (to suggest that others drive drunk).

The author if this book is lucky that her child didn't die. She should not be prescribing the same path to others. How many dead children will be on her hands?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8