Profile for T. Thomas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Thomas "Party Never Ends" RSS Feed (USA)

From the Pulpit to the Lectern: Forty Years of Teaching While Searching for the Man Within
Price: $5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A Personal Memoir, April 17, 2013
Very good, quick read for those who were part of the story. For others I dunno? George was a very, very special teacher to me. Regardless of his secret turmoil ... he always treated me as a respected student and a wonderful mentor.

Hillbilly Jedi
Hillbilly Jedi
Price: $9.00
54 used & new from $1.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest of returns, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Hillbilly Jedi (Audio CD)
"That's Why I Pray" and the accompanying video (video not on the CD) is the most beautifully written and produced song on this recording. Most of the rest falls far short of earlier B&R music. Nothing on this album comes even close to "Between Raising Hell & Amazing Grace" or the sheer joy of the song "Big Time." For those who like the crazy B&R rockin' sounds, I guess this CD is OK, but even those songs sound, to me, like they are half baked ... just wild stabs in the dark at a sound that requires more work than they apparently care to put in these days.

I admit, I'm a fan of their more serious songs and open expression of their religious beliefs. Nonetheless, I've also enjoyed many of their past rockers, other than "Save a Horse .... " which the radio killed by playing it every ten minutes while ignoring beautiful songs like "Live this Life", "Lost in this Moment" or "8th of November." Where is, other than than "That's Why I Pray" is something as beautifully written or produced as "Leap of Faith."

Sorry, I love these guys, but they missed the ball and hit a foul on this one.

Emotional Traffic
Emotional Traffic
Price: $5.00
71 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as anticiated., February 25, 2012
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
I don't know why this album doesn't connect for me. The production seems off ... the background music overwhelms the vocals at times. More importantly, it doesn't seem that there are the traditional Tim McGraw ballads... the ones that stick in your head like the previous album. Songs like "Still" or "Good Girls" or "I'm only Jesus" ... those songs show of a voice and sensibility that doesn't show up for me in this new release.

Of course, it's still Tim and it's not bad. I disagree when he says it's his best album ever. This one never made me cry ("If you're reading this"), never made me feel that "connection" like "Southern Voice" or the previous albums. Obviously, it's still Tim McGraw and it's a good album, but in my opinion far from his best. Partly because of poor production work (music too loud .. voice overwhelmed) and also because of the mix of songs.

Sorry Tim, this is not your best album ever ... but I still love your music.

The Incredible Machine
The Incredible Machine
Price: $5.00
105 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Total Disappointment, April 14, 2011
This review is from: The Incredible Machine (Audio CD)
This album is, to me a total disappointment. Obviously, Nettles & Bush have decided they are tired of country music and decided to go "pop." There is nothing "country" about this CD other than Jennifer Nettles' country twangy voice. When they try to include Christian Bush into the album as a singer, it reminds me of the 1960s Sonny & Cher.

The majority of the song are repetitive chants of the same moronic lyrics over, and over, and over. There are probably two decent, somewhat country songs on the album but I really think Sugarland is trying to move into the pop market, which they must consider more lucrative and less interested in pertinent lyrics or real songs versus virtually never-ending chants of meaningless drivel.

I wouldn't sell this album to any country fan. What a downfall for people who had a lot of potential. I hope they do well with their "elevator music."

Live From Austin TX
Live From Austin TX
Price: $15.19
63 used & new from $1.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best of the Best, November 11, 2005
This review is from: Live From Austin TX (Audio CD)
I'm not from Texas and I'm a relatively new REK fan, but this album was something of a disappointment for me. I own a number of his discs including "What I Really Mean" and "The Party Never Ends" and I love what I hear. I picked up some older ones too and loved them. I was excited to buy this live experience and it leaves me luke warm.

For a man who has a vocal range of about five notes, you'd think he could sing those few notes in tune. The opening track -- a rather odd version of "Dreadful Selfish Crime" sounds like a tone deaf drunk with laryngitis singing really bad karaoke. I could do without it. It hurts my ears. In fact, if I didn't have faith in the artist I would have turned the disc off after this track.

The band on this CD really rocks. That's the saving grace of the disc I think. "The Road Goes on Forever" is superb and REK even manages to do a decent job on the vocals on "Merry Christmas from the Family" and "Not a Drop of Rain." The instrumental music really drives this performance and it's too bad that the lead vocals can't seem to stay remotely in the same key as the rest of the band on most of the songs.

OK, I know that Robert Earl Keen is not known for the quality of his vocals, but for the intense story-telling and imaginative insight into humanity and its foibles. Love that part, for sure. He's kind of a Texas Bob Dylan of the millennium. But, I have to be truthful and say that this album disappoints because of the very tenuous vocals and the way that so many of the really hit-you-where-it-lives lyrics are lost in the mumble.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2008 9:52 AM PDT