Profile for gotomikem > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

gotomikem RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Earhoox for EarPods - Compatible with iPhone 6/6+/5/5S/5C - Blue
Earhoox for EarPods - Compatible with iPhone 6/6+/5/5S/5C - Blue
Offered by Earhoox - The Earbud Cure
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfortable and the perfect solution, February 21, 2015
Love these. Super comfortable and the perfect solution for keeping your earbuds in.

Poetic StrapBack Protective Case for Apple iPad Mini / iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display Tablet Black(Automatically Wakes and Puts the iPad Mini to Sleep)(Intergrated HandStrap)(3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)
Offered by PoeticDirect
Price: $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case, great quality, great price!, February 21, 2015
Great case at any price but even greater because it was only $6.95. Solid construction, puts the ipad to sleep when closed and has that hand strap on back which makes it easier to hold!

I would give it five stars except for the fact that it does not completely protect the sides. Having said that I am not to worried about that. I treat my ipad well and if I get a scratch or two on the side it won't bother me.

Evecase iPhone 6 Plus Case, S-Line Slim TPU Case Cover with Kick-Stand for Apple iPhone 6 Plus 5.5'' Screen 2014 Smartphone - Frosted Clear
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR BETTER than the $35 case at the phone store!, January 6, 2015
It is not easy to get a 5 start review fro me but I LOVE THE CASE AND the COMPANY. For only $6 a case that is actually BETTER more attractive and easier to hold than the $35 case at the phone store. Thin but protective and easy to grip because of the textured sides. A great, great buy.

If you have found this review helpful please click "yes" ;-)

Osprey Waypoint Travel Pack, Slate Grey, 80-Liter
Osprey Waypoint Travel Pack, Slate Grey, 80-Liter
Price: $274.81
5 used & new from $274.81

5.0 out of 5 stars For my needs the best backpack out there period. Couldn't be happier., December 24, 2014
i am a hardcore traveler. Like backpack through Southeast Asia climbing volcanoes, hiking in jungles and taking small fishing boats out on the open ocean traveler. Like I need to be able to carry my whole life with me traveler. And I wanted a backpack that would suit my needs now and still suit my needs 10 years from now.

Osprey waypoint 80 is the perfect bag.

What I love:
It is carry on size for most airlines (if you detach the daypack) yet holds a very generous 80 liters of stuff.
If this thing is packed to the gills then you are probably carrying too much and need to minimize but if, like me, you are on a long journey and have periods where (for whatever reason) you have picked up a ton of extra stuff this bag can handle it until you give some of your stuff away or ship it back home.

I just got on a United flight and even though it was 75% (and about two inches bigger than official carry on size) it DID fit in the testing box they ask you to put it in to check if it was carry on size and easily fit in the overhead bin (see pics).

The straps and hip let are incredibly comfortable and very well padded AND FULLY ADJUSTABLE! Unlike "one size fits all" backpacks (which means they really fit no one) the Waypoint has a system that allows you to move the entire suspension system up or down so you can custom fit it to your body!

It has the ability to hide the straps and hip let away and you can carry it by the side handle (VERY important if you check it as baggage handlers open grab bags by the shoulder straps and tear them which wrecks your pack)

It is incredibly well organized with two side pockets and a flat mesh pocket on the inside as well as a big main compartment.

It is FRONT LOADING AS OPPOSED TO TOP LOADING which is a HUGE plus because you can open it and see all your stuff as opposed to top loading backpacks that have you blindly digging through them to get to the stuff at the bottom.

It has lockable zippers.

THE DAYPACK IS AMAZING! Very well organized with a dedicated (and padded) laptop space and tablet space. The straps on the daypack and the back of it are very well padded. This is the best detachable daypack I have ever seen.

The one thing I did not like but it was not enough to knock a star off was that the daypack's tablet pocket was not lockable but that wasn't a problem as if I wanted extra security I simply put the tablet in the same pocket as my laptop because that section of the daypack IS lockable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2015 7:26 PM PST

Pacsafe 55L Backpack and Bag Protector, Silver, One Size
Pacsafe 55L Backpack and Bag Protector, Silver, One Size
Price: $80.00
4 used & new from $60.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Why are people saying this is bulky and heavy? It is not., December 24, 2014
love this thing. Only ways one pound and fits neatly and nicely into a black canvas case that it comes with. Including the case the whole thing probably weighs one and a half pounds and takes up very little space (in its pack it is about a foot long 3 inches wide and one inch thick). Small price to pay for securing your valuables.

One comment I will agree with(BUT I HAVE A FIX FOR IT THAT I WILL SHARE IN A MOMENT) is that the gaps ARE big enough to get a hand through so someone COULD reach in, unzip your bag and pull out anything the size of a camera or cell phone. I knocked off one star for this as if the gaps were smaller this would be the perfect accessory.

Here is my fix: first I bought a bag with lockable zippers (osprey waypoint 80) so before I put it in the passage I lock the zippers then cover the bag with a rain shield so the bag itself is not even visible. At that point if someone wanted to get into my bag they'd have to reach inside, move the rain shield and cut the locks.

By that time the average their is thinking "I'll just find an easier target."

I think this is terrific and well worth the investment!

Amped (Vintage Contemporaries)
Amped (Vintage Contemporaries)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost gave it less than 3 due to writing style but the plot saved it., December 18, 2014
The book has an interesting premise and an engaging plot. I wanted to completely like it but Wilson's style in this book made it hard to read because it annoyed me.

I am wondering if this was one of the first books he wrote as he made a very beginning writer mistake (in my humble opinion). They tell beginning writers "go easy on the adjectives, everything doesn't have to be 'like' something and all your prose does not have to be flowery" but Wilson so OVER writes his descriptions.

For example: "I can see the wind in the harmonized flapping of drying laundry that hangs on a twanging confusion of nylon cords" Really dude?

OR: The murmur of thousands of people sighs out across the cooling cement plaza. The sound washes over my face like warm breath." Really dude? A 'murmur' is somehow also a 'sigh'? and it moves across a "cooling" cement plaza but somehow it hits your face like a "warm" breath?

OR "He takes in the havoc with his knuckles resting on his hips, fingers curled up like feathers." What? What the hell do feathers and fingers have in common? And "curled up" like feathers? When I see feathers on a bird they look straight and flat to me. Don't think I have yet seen a bird with curly feathers.

This kind of stuff permeates the book and was very distracting and annoying to me. I gave the book three stars instead of two, though, becuase I did want to keep reading and find out what happened next due to an engaging and interesting story.

M

Red Lightning (Thunder and Lightning Series Book 2)
Red Lightning (Thunder and Lightning Series Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another incredibly satisfying read from John Varley., December 18, 2014
I love this series. Varley comes up with very creative and very original concepts. The characters he creates are terrific detailed and interesting. I particularly like how each book is narrated by the next generation in the family. So you get to see how life turned out for the characters you read about in the LAST book and get a glimpse into the future with the new characters.

I also like how the books are set in OUR time or just a few years from our time. Because of this you can really think "how would the world be if something like this occurs?" rather than imagining an entire new world set in the far future. I do like books set in the future but Varley's setting this in current times adds a terrific extra dimension.

Definitely worth picking up and reading!

TopCase Crystal See Thru Hard Case Cover for 13-Inch Macbook Air - Clear
TopCase Crystal See Thru Hard Case Cover for 13-Inch Macbook Air - Clear
Offered by Top Case
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case and good value., November 6, 2014
Good case. Not as high quality as the one sold in the apple store for $50 BUT it is certainly not bad quality and in fact is quite good.

I also like the fact that it is LIGHTER than the apple store one. One of the reasons I got a mac air was for the light weight so why would I want to put a heavy case on it? With this one you can't even tell it is there.

Considering it is less than half the price of the apple store one I think you get more than you pay for here so it is a good deal. Looks good and has done a great job protecting my mac.

Fiasco
Fiasco
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Why all the positive reviews? This is honestly one of the worst most poorly written books I have ever read., November 6, 2014
This review is from: Fiasco (Kindle Edition)
What an incredibly crap book. First of all this author goes into looooooong explanations that have nothing to do with moving the plot forward and most of what happens in the first half of the book has absolutely NO relevance to the story as a whole or anything that happens in the second half.

AND HERE IS THE WORST PART -- If you are (Like I was) thinking "Hey this seems fascinating. What would it be like to make contact with another culture? what would they look like? What would their civilization be like? Do they have religion? What is their planet like?" Know this YOU NEVER GET TO SEE THE ALIENS OR THEIR WORLD UNTIL THE LAST TWO PAGES OF THE BOOK AND WHEN YOU FINALLY DO YOU LEARN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEM! NONE OF THOSE QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED! YOU GET NO EXPERIENCE OF THEM, THEIR WORLD, THEIR CULTURE, NOTHING!

As for the rest of the book --- as I said most of the writing is useless and has nothing to do with anything and the first half doesn't even need to be there... for example there is a scene in the beginning where a pilot fails to show up so another pilot needs to take over a ship. Rather than just having the pilot say "No worries I am qualified to fly that kind of ship" he instead goes into a loooong explanation detailing his entire career before the Commanding officer basically says "Ok good go fly it then." Ten pages of absolutely useless dialogue.

THEN the pilot has an accident and is put in suspended animation with the idea that in the future when medical technology is better they may be able to save and revive him. and so it is...he is revived in the future and becomes part of the mission to go to see this other populated planet.

Here's the problem---THIS IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY TO THE PLOT!!! His being a pilot..no pilot skills needed on the mission. His being from the past? Has no bearing on anything and in no way helps the mission. THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE BOOK IS BASICALLY USELESS AND UNNECESSARY.

Every time a major decision has to be made for example "What should we say to the aliens when we finally get to their planet" there follows 10-20 pages of dialogue going over every possibility "Well maybe we could do this, then again maybe we could do that and then there is this other thing we could also do and of course we must take into account this fourth, fifth and sixth option as well."

Terrible book that doesn't even deliver on its basic promise and basic premise of introducing you to an alien civilization.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2014 11:40 AM PST

Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
Offered by DataVision Computer Video
Price: $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars By the way to make them even better check out Earhoox, November 6, 2014
Exactly what you get in the Apple Store at half the price. By the way to make them even better check out Earhoox. They go over the part that goes in your ear and make them fit snugly and securely. Great for when you are working out or just walking around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3