Profile for Dave Mccomb > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Mccomb RSS Feed (Ft Collins, CO USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SAP Nation: a runaway software economy
SAP Nation: a runaway software economy
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole SAP egosystem laid out, December 8, 2014
Mirchandani has done his homework: his years of work, hundreds of interviews and nearly 200 footnotes back up his conclusions.

And his conclusions shine a lot of light on something I have been fascinated with for a long, long time: how does this vast engine of complexity keep going? It is the ecosystem, or as he at one point derisively calls it: the egosystem. There is so much more money to be made installing and supporting SAP that it hardly matters what they do in Waldorf.

In my opinion the same issues he discusses with SAP are true with other vendors and even many old school implementation projects, they are just brought out more clearly in SAP's case. Despite their many pivots, in many ways SAP seems stuck in the late 80's early 90's, which is just fine for their many partners and support system.

This is must reading for pretty much anyone with legacy transaction systems installed, and particularly anyone contemplating starting an SAP project.

Ten Year Run: A Marathoning Memoir
Ten Year Run: A Marathoning Memoir
by Todd Baker
Price: $9.29
10 used & new from $8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Inspiring, May 17, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by this. The back of the book said it has a style reminiscent of Bill Bryson. To me, more like Dave Barry. It's full of odd asides, parenthetic comments and curious comparisons. His paranoid mental conversations are pretty amusing.

And it's inspiring me to step up my running regime (I've never run a marathon and I had no idea "it's ok to walk" (fifth noble truth) that was worth the price of the book right there). And while I have already learned my lesson on new gear for an event (Rule 10) I am happy to have the revealed wisdom of Rule 11 (Never use more than the recommended amount of laundry detergent)

ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71
ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71

5.0 out of 5 stars Fives stars despite a few shortcomings, February 9, 2013
So far really digging the Zenbook. Light, well built, powerful, and the reason I picked this model, 10 GB of RAM.

Two shortcomings, compared to my previous ASUS (UL30A) this one has about half the battery life (I'm stepping down from 8-10 hours to 4-5, which is a disappointment)

And it's Windows8 without a touch screen. It works fine, but Windows 8 would really take advantage of a touch screen.

Learning SPARQL
Learning SPARQL
by Bob DuCharme
13 used & new from $5.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A readable book on SPARQL 1.1 just in the nick of time, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Learning SPARQL (Paperback)
I was hoping I wasn't going to have to learn SPARQL 1.1 from the specs. Bob DuCharme's book arrived just in time to save me from that fate.

The book is well organized, progresses well and has great examples. What I particularly like and what you don't get in the specs, are the little insights, suggestions and gotcha's that come from someone who has used this a lot.

The only disappointment from my standpoint was his punting on the NOT versus MINUS distinction, where after a single example of both that return equivalent results, he sends the readers back to the spec if they are interested in the subtle difference. I am interested in the subtle difference, but I had hoped I could get it a bit better explained than the terse spec.

All in all, excellent work, would recommend it to anyone picking up SPARQL.

Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
by Brad Feld
52 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd had this book way back when, September 8, 2011
We were in registration to go public in the spring of 2000. That didn't happen. When I read this book I was reliving a lot of the run up to that point.

Wish I had had this book then. I love the way they separate the important from the unimportant, there is so much confusion and so many moving parts in these deals you often feel like you're being taken advantage of, but can't figure out how or where.

This book is a breath of fresh air.

Beyond Implementation: A Prescription for Lasting EMR Adoption
Beyond Implementation: A Prescription for Lasting EMR Adoption
by Heather A. Haugen PhD
Price: $14.39
42 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Focus on Adoption not just Implementation, February 26, 2011
This is a fresh perspective on the endemic crisis in the software industry in general, not just healthcare IT: by over focusing on the implementation of a new application system we often undermine it's long term adoption. The authors lay out a plan for addressing this shortsightedness based on engaged leadership, innovative training approaches integrated metrics and long term sustainability.

It's an easy read, with a important message. It applies to Electronic Medical Records, but it also applies to the broader world of IT .

Profit Patterns: A Strategic Shortcut (Guest Column)
Profit Patterns: A Strategic Shortcut (Guest Column)
by Adrian J. Slywotzky
Edition: Digital
Price: $4.50

3.0 out of 5 stars It's only one page, June 13, 2010
I had owned Profit Patterns but can't find my copy. I thought this article would remind of enough of the concepts to satisfy my current need. I was a bit hesitant to pay $4.50 for a three page article, when the entire book is available for $4.10, but I did.

My dissatisfaction is not so much with the material, but with the lack of material. Of the three pages, two were HBR cover sheets. There was only one page of content.

Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business
Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business
by David Siegel
53 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Semantic Web for Execs and Investors, January 22, 2010
This is a great book for getting a wider audience involved in the Semantic Web. It is very readable and compelling. It's not technical. It doesn't say how this technology is going to work, it describes what the impact is going to be. Rather than a weakness I think this is it's strength, it makes the conclusions very accessible.

The danger of not being technical is the danger of not getting it right, or missing the point, or describing a future that just isn't on the drawing boards. But Siegel has avoided this danger. I've been working with this technology for nearly ten years, and I think his conclusions are valid, and his predictions realistic. And he is right, this will usher in a huge change in perspective about eve3n what a computer system is, let alone how they will interrelate.

This really answers the question: "what are we going to do with this cool technology?" and as such it has two great audiences: 1) the executives and investors who may be getting their first introduction to the field, and 2) the technologists working in the field, who sometimes lose sight of the bigger picture.

Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy
Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy
by Martin Lindstrom
107 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph of Marketing over Writing, January 25, 2009
I bought the CD of this book on impulse from a bookstore. I wish I had consulted the amazon reviews, for while the average rating is high there was enough meat in the low reviews that I would have likely left this alone.

I won't repeat what a number of reviewers have covered in more detail: that there is very little content and the presentation is tedious and self aggrandizing.

I will make two other observations: the first was how little they got for their multimillion brain image study. My 17 year old son was listening to part of it with me in the car, the part where they made the amazing discovery that Coca Cola was getting more value from their product placements on American Idol than Ford was getting for their commercials. My son told me "yeah, I read about that in a Foxtrot comic."

The second is that he did do a very good job of marketing a very marginal book. Maybe that could be his sequel: how to fluff up a magazine article's worth of content into a best seller.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

Building Enterprise Taxonomies
Building Enterprise Taxonomies
by Darin L. Stewart
25 used & new from $5.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, good content, September 11, 2008
The writing style and ample use of illustration makes the reading zip right along. This is a big deal because so many books of this genre drag to the point that it's just too much effort to continue. Despite the breezy style it's full of good content. I've been in the taxonomy/ontology business for over a decade, and I still found new information here, and found many things I knew far better expressed here. Very clear. Nice job.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3