Profile for S. Upchurch > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Upchurch RSS Feed

Paul Osterfield: Sound and Fury
Paul Osterfield: Sound and Fury
Price: $15.48
15 used & new from $1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Chamber music for a new audience!, December 16, 2014
“Sound and Fury”, the first work on this album of the same title, boldly introduces itself with striking, sharply accented piano with bursts of wild interruptions of strings. It truly does feel “furious” especially in the third movement. It grows in short spurts of fast paced movement, broken up by pauses, much like taking breaths during a shouting match. These wild interruptions and shouting matches are balanced by the middle movement that is a sorrowful sounding contrast. The piano acts almost like a harp while the strings sing their sad song. The virtuosic and wild nature of “Sound and Fury” makes it both impressive and emotionally evoking.

“Études for Piano, Book 1” are six short pieces, each exploring different techniques in varying attitudes. The atmosphere of each one ranges from playful and light to driving and powerful. The uncertainty of a solid tonal center throughout gives all of the études a subtle whimsical feel.

“Kandinsky Images” is musical interpretation of four of Wassily Kansinsky’s abstract artworks. When first listening to these, I did not research the images that are given in the titles for each selection. Instead, allowing myself to take in the interpretation, fall into the unknown painting. What I found was that I was pulled into each one, experiencing the depictions of mood, color, texture, and depth.

“Smoky Mountain Autumn” is the only work in this collection to use horn. At first, the horn is like an echo or the violin. But it soon overtakes as storyteller of this transition into winter. Perhaps a little mournful at first, the horn announces the arrival of the new season most prominently at the start of the second movement. What took me by surprise was about a minute into the third and final movement. The violin begins to use pizzicato and styles more commonly associated with the fiddle tradition of American folk music.

I enjoyed listening to this collection of works from Paul Osterfield, which was sent to me, free of charge. As someone who is a student of music, it was a pleasure to hear these new pieces, which are exciting and modern continuations of the chamber music tradition. I found myself caught up in the music, appreciating the complexity and beauty of the atmospheres and moods that are diverse. Osterfield does a wonderful job of painting a picture through his music. I will definitely be listening to this again soon!

Bling Jewelry Sterling Silver Pave CZ Heart Ring with Gold Vermeil Accent, Ring Size 8
Offered by Bling Jewelry
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but poorly made., December 26, 2010
My boyfriend gave me this ring as a present and I was instantly in love with it. It's a beautiful design and catches the light really well. I treated it so well and treasured it. But within days 2 of the stones fell out and the gold band is already beginning to fade. I will be taking it to a professional jeweler soon to repair it, but I am very disappointed with how quickly it deteriorated. As I said, I treated it very well... it has not gotten wet or tossed around. I am left to the conclusion that it was made with poor craftsmanship.

Kings and Queens-Coloring Book
Kings and Queens-Coloring Book
by David Brownell
Price: $4.05
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, September 28, 2009
My friend came into class one day and was flipping through this book. I asked if I could borrow it for a minute. I instantly fell in love with this beautifully done coloring book! My first thought after getting out of class was to run home and buy it off amazon. When I received it, I spent hours on end detailing with my colored pencils. Coloring books have always been a great love of mine. But I've only ever used books geared toward children. This was so much fun to read about the kings and queens as well while I completely wasted my store of crimsons and golden yellows. Now I still enjoy looking through it for the excerpts as well as to enjoy the drawings.

Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover
Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover
by Marilu Henner
Price: $13.89
203 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Going in the Right Direction, April 11, 2009
Thanks to Marilu, I rarely eat ice cream. After 6 months off dairy, I had a little ice cream at a party and had a stomach ache for hours! I've managed to put yogurt back into my diet and some cheese. I think the key is to try a one or a few changes at a time. Whether it's fruit only during the mornings (which works well for me according to the scale), or food combining for better digestion, eating healthy is something you learn as you go.

I am partial to books about mediterranean diet, how to live to 100, and they all mirror eating REAL food. It's not about never getting to eat meat, but making vegetables and healthy grains a bigger part of your life. I can hardly look at processed food or candy that isn't organic chocolate. We eat so many different vegetables - it's hard to run out of something new to try!

I've had a recent problem with my metabolism in the last year, and I'm excited to get back to the basics. I made my family pancakes with real syrup this morning (we haven't touched the other stuff in 4 years thanks to Marilu). I stopped food combining, but because of my peri-menopausal bloat, I am going back to food combining and mostly fruit in the morning. It's been a long road of learning to change almost everything to organic and olive oil is practically a staple every day (I snuck it into this morning's pancakes).

Wii Fit Balance Board Clear Silicone Sleeve
Wii Fit Balance Board Clear Silicone Sleeve
Price: $7.95
4 used & new from $4.18

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Product, April 8, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This silicone sleeve is pretty nice. For games where you put your hands on the board, it really helps. But personally, I overlooked the fact that since I have three dogs in my house that shed and the sleeve attracts dog hair. So stepping on and off really gets it covered. It's more comfortable, but I have to clean it up often. If your house is furry-pet free, then this would be better for you than it is for me. Overall, a good product that serves it's purpose.

Julia Child (Penguin Lives Biographies)
Julia Child (Penguin Lives Biographies)
by Laura Shapiro
98 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfair to Judge Celebrities by their feelings on Homosexuality, December 22, 2008
I don't understand why half a chapter was dedicated to calling Julia Child bigoted. Why does everyone have to approve of homosexuality? Really! I also can't find any other information to support the statement that Julia was an atheist, although I have not read every biography. I would like to know how the writer came to this conclusion. I find this need to find out which side everybody is on to be the most tiresome game in today's media. Isn't this America, where we don't have to be told how to think? It spoiled the book for me. I much more enjoyed "My Life in France." (2004)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

Agatha Christie's Poirot: The Definitive Collection
Agatha Christie's Poirot: The Definitive Collection
DVD ~ David Suchet
6 used & new from $24.62

2.0 out of 5 stars Wondering about the Homosexuality?, December 15, 2008
As much as I love Agatha Christie and these Poirot series, I have been surprised at by at least 2 episodes in which homosexual relationships are wound into the plot. I do not remember this being in the books. "Cards on the Table" & "Five Little Pigs" (I think that's the title) added material and even made it crucial to the plot to use specifically homosexual relationships. Why?
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2010 10:27 AM PST

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
by Michael Pollan
Price: $16.54
415 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Ideas, Too Much Evolution, October 24, 2008
I always enjoy books that make vegetables appetizing. It's great to be reminded to eat good food. Unfortunately, this book was sprinkled throughout with doses of evolution. I thought the claim that our ancestors spontaneously produced vitamin C in their bodies was a real stretch. I could do without the made-up stuff.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2010 5:26 AM PST

Eclipse (Twilight)
Eclipse (Twilight)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $15.32
3248 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclipse, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Eclipse (Twilight) (Hardcover)
After flying through the first two books in the Twilight series, I was quite anxious to receive the next installment. Eclipse lived up to every expectation I had. It is a wonderful continuation of the series. I highly recommend it to any young adult reader. Stephanie Meyer, without a doubt, is on my top ten books list!