Profile for Fontaine > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Fontaine RSS Feed (New York, NY, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Life Code: The New Rules for Winning in the Real World
Life Code: The New Rules for Winning in the Real World
by Phillip C. McGraw
Price: $17.99
369 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars The only life code you'll ever need..., November 30, 2012
The only life code you'll ever need (not in the book)...

(1) Write a list of TRAITS YOU VALUE AND UPHOLD IN YOURSELF (trustworthy/responsible, honest, hard-working, etc) and be as specific as possible citing examples where adjectives prove too ambiguous. You should have at least 30 items on the list, ideally more like 50 items. Read the list out a loud every day or write out the list BY HAND to remind yourself of these traits so you will remember them and they will become ingrained in you. Adjust the list as necessary as you gain clarity on who you are and what you value in yourself.

(2) Then, for new people you meet, use that same list to decide how close you plan to get to them as a percentage of your list. Ask yourself, "is this person 'trustworthy/responsible' and how can I prove they are/aren't?" It will likely take 3-9 months to figure out if they pass your "litmus test" depending on how often you are in a position to observe their behavior. And yes, reaching for 100% may mean, to quote the book, you are "lonely at the top", however, if you consistently fulfill 100% of your own list, at least you'll be guaranteed to like yourself :-) And over time, that self-enjoyment will bring new, better people into your life anyways.

(3) If they fulfill your list 100%, then, they are worthy of a close, loving relationship. Anything less than 100%, then they should be kept a some sort of distance in some areas of your life, possible kept outside of all areas of your life. For example, if they fail to prove themselves "hard-working," then probably you don't want to ask them for advice in the workplace, right?

Conclusion. The theory here goes: why would you get close to someone who you have a lower set of standards for than you set for yourself...?

The slight unexpected caveat to this is: if the hypothetical "new person" exceeds your list, let's say he/she has 110% of traits, then you need to ASK YOURSELF if you are the worthy one and if you are the one short-changing them; then, you will need to seriously consider if you need to "raise your game" and go through some serious self-improvement areas in that missing 10%.

But there are other self-improvement books for that too.

emerginC 20% Vitamin C Serum 30 ml
emerginC 20% Vitamin C Serum 30 ml
Offered by Beautiful Brands
Price: $73.90
10 used & new from $68.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...but Too Expensive, November 10, 2012
This stuff works, but is too expensive, too hard to find, and the last containers of this I purchased, the bottles leaked product when I traveled. Don't get me wrong, if you've got the money and never travel anywhere, then this is the product for you. It will make your skin radiant, your skin taut, and reduce fine (even some deep) lines.

HOWEVER, the last time the bottle leaked in my luggage, I had had enough and will be looking for a homemade alternative (it's just Vitamin C after all!). You would think that paying $100 for a product and they could afford a sealed bottle, instead of just an uber-chic looking bottle. But, alas, that's the beauty industry for you!

Karin Herzog Vita-A-Kombi 2 (1.7 oz)
Karin Herzog Vita-A-Kombi 2 (1.7 oz)
Price: $64.54
8 used & new from $63.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Dewy, Glowing Skin...Used for Over 10 Years, November 10, 2012
First, I've used this product once a week overnight since my mid-twenties when an esthetician in Boston introduced this to me because I have weird EXTRA-sensitive, oil-dry skin -the oil just kind of sits on the top layer of my skin, but the skin itself is dehydrated and semi-papery. Other moisture-rich products simply added more oil, but didn't help the skin at the cellular level - but this product does. To give you an example, if I have a tiny scar scab on my face, if I use this product overnight, the scab will naturally fall off the following morning and reveal healed, smooth skin. I haven't encountered any product for the face (or body) that does this. It also evens out my skin tone, which can be blotchy. But in general, I use this product to achieve a dewy, "glowing" appearance that I've seen women have sometimes - this does that as well. It definitely plumbs up the skin and even if you only use it once in a week, you'll notice a difference in your skin the other days of the week. Now that I am in my mid-thirties, I still have sensitive skin and still only need to use this product once a week, but since my job has become more visible, I've started to use the product every other day to maximize my appearance.

Second, the only bad thing about this product is: that it is hard to find! Traditionally, France and Switzerland have had the best beauty products, partly, because their equivalent of the FDA-review process is quicker than in the United States so it's easier for a company with a good idea for a beauty product to get their products on shelves. On top of the fact that those countries have a "culture of feminine beauty" and women are more attuned to taking care of themselves by relying on beauty products, so once a product gets to the market in these countries, the consumers will continue to support and purchase those products (almost religiously). This product, while in an unassuming package, works extraordinarily well for all skin types. Now, I used to be able to find this product in beauty stores and the highest-end days spas in New York City (where I currently live). However, I cannot find it in stores anywhere and must always order it online. Part of the reason while after 10 years of using it that I'm writing a review, is that I HOPE OTHER WOMEN WILL START USING IT SO THEY KEEP SELLING IT IN THE STATES. Again, France and Switzerland have access to these types of products (probably alongside their croissants & Nutella), but in the States, putting your best face forward, isn't as high a priority (maybe we're just less vain, which isn't necessarily bad), but whatever the case this Karin Herzog product (I've tried others in this product range, but -of the ones I've tried- this works the best, the quickest, with the longest lasting effects) would benefit a lot of women in the States who are wasting their money on other moisturizing products.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 2:48 PM PST

Showing Up for Life: Thoughts on the Gifts of a Lifetime
Showing Up for Life: Thoughts on the Gifts of a Lifetime
by William H. Gates
Price: $12.63
137 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A roadmap to generations of giving back and success...MUST READ., July 5, 2010
As an person who had a father who "did the best he could not the best there was", I found this book incredibly touching and inspiring.

* For the first third of the book, I laughed out loud at Senior's jokes, awed at the historical perspective (the stories about the Great Depression) like something out of the History Channel, and I cried tears of joy thinking to myself "do families this gifted, yet this caring about humankind really exist...?".

* For the middle third of the book, I listened instructively and intently upon his words of wisdom about hardship and success, love and growth as if I were reading about some new discovery in American Scientific.

* For the last third of the book, I thought to myself for the first time: I could have and raise a family with this many generations of love, too.

If you, too, have difficulty thinking of how you'd form a loving relationship with a spouse (in existence already, or not yet come to you) or how to raise a family that was able to grow in it's values generation after generation, then, I highly, highly recommend this book.

I imagine at the very least, you'll find it to be a light at the end of the tunnel -- at best, you'll find it to be a roadmap.

BestCredit: How to Win the Credit Game, 2nd Edition
BestCredit: How to Win the Credit Game, 2nd Edition
by Dana Neal
Price: $24.25
37 used & new from $6.56

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST WHAT OUR COUNTRY NEEDS, March 3, 2010
At a time when our country is beginning to see the forest from the trees in terms of the vast complexities of money management, this book hits the mark. Really puts a human face on a very inhumane process and truly EDUCATES and EMPOWERS its users, not just advises. Great book - will save you hundreds, if not millions.

Philips PET7402/37 7-Inch Dual Screen Portable DVD Player with Car Mount, Black (2009 Model)

1.0 out of 5 stars NO BATTERY...??!!!!!!!!!!, November 23, 2009
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but saying "portable" should mean that it can be used, say, while walking down the street -- like the Walkmans from the 80s. But, here they are redefining "portable" as anything that you can plug it into your car adapter!! So, by Philips's definition, then, EVERY ELECTRONIC IS PORTABLE -- INCLUDING YOUR 42" TV SCREEN AT HOME -- because, well, you can plug it into your car adapter! This doesn't make sense.

In short, this item is falsely advertised and the title of this item should be changed. This is really a miniature "two-in-one" (as in, has the screen and DVD together), but it is NOT portable.

My Best Friend
My Best Friend
DVD ~ Daniel Auteuil
Price: $19.49
43 used & new from $8.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Near flawless film from France, July 13, 2008
This review is from: My Best Friend (DVD)
My, these comments are verbose - so I will keep mine short!!

This movie is like a bottle of Beaujolais: light, sweet, goes with every occasion!

With the exception of the long-suffering girlfriend's role, this film illustrates very universally appreciated concepts on the notion of "friendship." Namely: how do you know when you actually have got one?

This movie offers a very clear and consice answer to that question. And the response is so humorously laid out in one of the last scenes of the movie, I was literally crying from laughing so hard in the theatre.

You can easily put this film in the "romantic comedy" section since friendship serves as the basis for so many great loves. This film merely singles out friendship from everything else and, then, asks us to consider not only "who are your friends?", but also, "what is most important in your life?".

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a romantic comedy., February 4, 2006
If you are looking for a low-substance, low-dialog romantic comedy, look elsewhere. Although most critics and descriptions of this movie will reduce it to a simple story of "black girl meets white boy" -the film is less about race and more about the unpredictable nature of falling in love. From the beginning you hear the Moroccan music coming from Brian's car, you realize this isn't your typical romantic comedy. I think most anyone who has fallen in love before will relate to this film because most people do not fall in love with their near-identical twin, usually there is some difference (lifestyle, class, education, wealth, nationality) when two people come together - this film just happens to choose "race". I found the dialog to be smart and provocative. When Brian meets Kenya, she has definitely met her match and you get the sense of tension and excitement when two dissimilar people have strong feelings for each other. Dialog reminded me of "When Harry Met Sally" in that it feels real and like neither character is holding back. My only slight annoyance with this film is that I felt that Kenya should have verbally stuck up for Brian more, although she does do some special things towards the end. A good movie for Girls' Night Out, because of the funny dialog between Kenya and her close female friends. The film is easy for anyone to relate to who has been in love.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastefully designed raisers, September 13, 2005
My roommate recommended these to me. I got them in crystal clear, and I like them because of their tasteful design -hard to find in other raisers. I use them to raise my futon high enough to store items under my bed. Normally, I'd use cinder blocks, but these cups are hardly noticeable with my decor/color-scheme. The only downside, is I think they kind of max out on height at 3", any higher than that and the furniture doesn't seem quite as stable. Ideally, I'd like to raise my futon even as high as 12", but you can still do quite a lot with the additional 3". I'd recommend them for this purpose.

March of the Penguins
March of the Penguins

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, if you like kitten calendars and doggie clothes., August 11, 2005
Good, if you like kitten calendars and doggie clothes.

PBS does nature documentaries like this all the time...and, usually, has better cinematography. The only thing I liked about this movie was watching people pay for a documentary they can see at home on PBS. It made me think of that song about removing all the trees and putting them in a "Tree Museum", so that people would have "to pay to see them." Maybe this is the next and logical step for PBS, too, which could actually turn out to be more lucrative than depending on dwindling dollars that the government and "viewers like you" give them. But I digress. More on why I didn't ultimately like the film and wanted my ten bucks back when it was over.

While I like Morgan Freeman as a person and character-actor, I think his voice always has inflections of sadness and dispair. From the beginning we're told how all the penguins might not make it -oh, brother! We're told of their limitless "love" they have for one another and their tenacity to stay in Antartica -so, would they prefer the Carribean, then?? While I like nature documentaries, I found this story to be merely loosely-based on the lives of penguins, but more about human's wanting to personify wild animals (i.e. my reference to "doggie clothes"). For example, you hear things like about how "hard" and "freezing cold" it is for the penguins to live in Antartica -of course! They are penguins. That is what they do. The writing never goes deeper talking about their thick coats of skin and differing blood temperature, instead the writer implores us to pity the penguins as half-naked humans just trying to get a date. There were several scenes depicting idealized versions of animals (i.e. my reference to "kitten calendars") and missing out on what makes penguins "penguins." If you're over the age of 18, don't see this film expecting to learn anything new about penguins.

On the other hand, the audience seemed to be eating this stuff up (lots of parents with kids -I imagine they had a positive net effect on the ticket sales price). Lots of people seemed to feel sorry for the penguins, occasionally gasping and oooo'ing and awwwh'ing. Lots of people also seemed to think that "penguins" was just another term for "human."

In short: the penguins are brought into *our* world, unfortunately, we are not brought into *theirs*.

Page: 1 | 2