Profile for oakland_dad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

oakland_dad "oakland_dad" RSS Feed (Oakland, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Unique Natural Products Super Digest-It Safe Drain Opener, 32-Ounce
Unique Natural Products Super Digest-It Safe Drain Opener, 32-Ounce
Price: $17.15
8 used & new from $10.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do a thing, September 4, 2013
This product sounded great. We had a plumber show us the result of using harsh chemical products in our drain by putting her screwdriver straight through our crumbling PVC pipes. So we wanted to switch to using a natural, enzyme-based product, but this one is not it. Didn't do a thing on two sinks when used as directed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 10:10 AM PDT

Hubbell Outdoor Lighting S2LH S-Series Motion Sensor Kit, Bronze
Hubbell Outdoor Lighting S2LH S-Series Motion Sensor Kit, Bronze
Price: $38.71
3 used & new from $29.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 18 months, June 26, 2012
18 months after installing, the lights are now always on, even if I set the sensitivity to the lowest setting. No way it should die this quickly.

Vegware 7-Ounce Cold Cup, 50-count Packages (Pack of 4)
Vegware 7-Ounce Cold Cup, 50-count Packages (Pack of 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing - not labeled as being compostable!, December 7, 2011
There is no clear indication on the cup that it's compostable. Our kids' school is trying to do low-waste class parties, and I had to go around telling each kid that the cup was compostable, because it's not clearly marked anywhere on the cup. It looks just like any other clear plastic cup?! I'm sure a ton of them ended up in the regular trash.

Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master Security Camera System with Night Vision (961-000337)
7 used & new from $339.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great system - revised review 07-22-11, November 5, 2010
I can't say enough good things about this video camera system. We haven't had any security issues in the 10 years we've lived in our house, but last night, just a week since we installed this camera, someone broke into my wife's car (nothing of value was taken), and we got excellent video of the whole thing. The camera is very easy to install, high-def, wide-angle, only records when there's movement (made it easy to figure out when the break-in occurred last night), you can watch the live video on your iPhone (which made the installation a whole lot easier while I was on a ladder), has infrared LED's built-in for night vision, one cable for both video and power, etc. etc. Told our neighborhood watch group all about this camera system, along with the captured video of the perp. Great job Logitech!

Revised 07-22-11: I've changed my rating from 5 to 2 stars for one Achilles heel that I've found in this system. The SD Card inside the camera gets corrupted from time to time, and the camera stops recording. Even worse, there is no warning from the software until you look for recorded video and nothing has been recorded. If you go to the Settings -> Storage -> Cameras menu, then the SD Card in question shows up with a red exclamation point on it, saying that it has an error. Reformatting the SD Card from this menu sometimes works, but eventually the SD Card gets corrupted again after a number of days. Here are similar complaints on the Logitech forum: [...] The biggest gripe I have is that the software doesn't proactively notify me when the SD Card fails, and that there is no way to reformat remotely when I'm on vacation, for example.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2010 11:54 AM PST

Scosche solCHAT Solar Powered Bluetooth Speakerphone with Voice Announce
Scosche solCHAT Solar Powered Bluetooth Speakerphone with Voice Announce
Offered by Deals For less
Price: $20.98
3 used & new from $18.23

5.0 out of 5 stars How a product should be designed!, June 30, 2010
I've been using this Bluetooth Speakerphone for almost a year now, but something happened yesterday that compelled me to finally write a review. I had just gotten my iPhone 4, and in getting into my car, I pressed the button on the Scosche Speakerphone out of habit, and remembered that I hadn't paired it with this new phone. Then, while I was navigating to the Bluetooth menu on my iPhone, the Scosche unit announced in plain English to put my phone in Bluetooth pairing mode and even what ID to type in! Now that's a great user interface!

That's on top of almost a year of excellent performance. Everyone I call on this thing says that the sound quality is great. In fact, my business partner says it sounds better than when I use the Apple WIRED headset. It's been stuck on my windshield the whole time, and I've never had to charge it. More companies should design product the way these guys have designed this one!

Ucreate Music
Ucreate Music
11 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It slices, it dices, July 8, 2009
This review is from: Ucreate Music (Toy)
I'm a guitar player, and I got this after seeing the media coverage on this from CES. There is so much to this product, from mixing loops that are in the device, to sampling from the iPod, downloading new loops from the web, modifying the loops in realtime with the joystick using different built-in effects, to recording the entire performance of a song for playback like a sequencer (reminds me of playing back automation on a recording console).

The funny thing is just how easy it is to use, given all that power under the hood. My 5 and 8 year olds "got it" right away, and have had a blast with it. What I didn't realize initially is that you can listen to your iPod with it, and use the joystick effects to modify the songs in realtime. That by itself has had my kids enthralled for the past two evenings. [...]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2010 5:39 AM PST

Canon 2168B002 CanoScan 8800F Color Image Scanner
Canon 2168B002 CanoScan 8800F Color Image Scanner
3 used & new from $559.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing scanner for old photos !, September 5, 2008
I just got this today, and I'm simply blown away. I had to archive a lot of faded family pictures from 30-40 years ago, and I was getting terrible results with my old scanner (streaking, bad colors, etc.), so I bit the bullet on this scanner based on the Amazon recommendations. WOW, is this thing amazing - the "Fading correction" image correction is beyond words - it makes these terribly faded, yellow pictures look like they were taken recently. Very fast as well.

Fisher-Price Nursery Rhymes CD Player
Fisher-Price Nursery Rhymes CD Player
Offered by Buy 4 Less Shop
Price: $49.99
9 used & new from $10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising, March 22, 2006
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
If this is a CD player, then my kid's See-and-Say is a record player. This doesn't play CD's - it just has a spinning plastic disc with pictures. I was rather dissappointed with this purchase...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2008 1:23 AM PDT

D-Link DI-LB604?4-Port Load Balancing Router
D-Link DI-LB604?4-Port Load Balancing Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, January 29, 2006
I was getting tired of our DSL going down, so I got cable as well and tried this load-balancing router. It's great - now, not only do I get 100% up-time, but whenever either internet connection (DSL or cable) goes down, it sends me an email!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2006 9:16 AM PST

Ipulse Zipconnect Speakers with Colorsync Light Show
Ipulse Zipconnect Speakers with Colorsync Light Show
10 used & new from $9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible sound, December 4, 2005
I bought this item because it looked like fun, but the sound is awful - very little bass, muddy highs, very boxy sounding. As my wife very aptly put it, "it sounds worse than my laptop". We have a Bose SoundDock as well, and if its sound quality is a 10, this one is barely a 1. We've heard some pretty awful-sounding audio gear designed by Sharper Image, but we were fooled by the marketing hype they have about their new aluminum cone speakers. These speakers do little to overcome Sharper Image's lack of audio engineering prowess.

Page: 1 | 2