Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for Mom_in_CA > Reviews

Browse

Mom_in_CA's Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mom_in_CA RSS Feed (CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables, Teaching Manual
Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables, Teaching Manual
by Alan Walker
Price: $29.95
42 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazingM, November 22, 2011
This is a must for a visual spatial learner. My 8 year old son, who is highly gifted, had a terrible time learning his math facts. He understood the concepts but couldn't perform the rapid recall of the facts. This program really works and he didn't find it silly, he found it fun. He had no problems rapidly recalling the picture answer, truly amazing! I can see though if your child isn't a visual learner this might not be as successful. My daughter, 9, who has no problem memorizing her math facts the traditional way, found it silly and pointless when she overheard us practicing. Each kid is different you have to find your child's learning style and the tools that will help him or her best.

The Night Strangers: A Novel
The Night Strangers: A Novel
by Chris Bohjalian
148 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun read, October 25, 2011
This was a really fun, creepy book to read. The story line was a little predictable but the characters were so well developed and the writing superb that the predictableness was easily forgiven. Highly recommend it. I will be seeking out other books by this author.

The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy)
The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy)
by Justin Cronin
Price: $20.61
483 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 4, 2011
Very good read, it will keep you entertained well into the night. I found it to be a very original story and does not contain a lot of gore nor does everybody die. Can't wait for the next book next year!!!

NxLABS, INC. SLIMQUICK HOODIA 84 CAPS
NxLABS, INC. SLIMQUICK HOODIA 84 CAPS

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work but Made me too jittery and spacey, June 21, 2008
I finally decided to try hoodia to control my appetite. I am all for following a healthy diet and exercise plan to go with it, but I do get very hungry on a diet so I thought this may help. It did suppress my appetite a bit but it made me very irritable and jittery at first. I believe that would be from the green tea extract and not the hoodia itself. However, the appetite suppression I did feel felt strangely like the same kind you get from drinking too much coffee. I also felt light headed, spacey and disconnected while taking it This might be the overall "good" feeling you can get from it that I've read about, but I'm not into it - it didn't feel good to me just spaced out. Another review I read mentioned this feeling like the feeling you get from Vicodin just before you pass out and I have to agree it feels that kind of like that (having had vicodin after childbirth a few times)

I won't be taking anymore because I am just too unsure of the long term effects of taking something unregulated like hoodia. Much of the research I have done on the web seems to support that you should follow a low carb or lower carb diet when using hoodia, which I know from my own experience will control my appetite pretty well without using a supplement.

Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different - And How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men
by Steve Biddulph
181 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book for understanding boys, February 26, 2007
I bought this book because it became clear to me that I do not understand my 3 year old son and I realized it would only become worse as he grew older if I didn't at least try to figure out what is going on from his perspective.

I think that this book really tells it like it is. He doesn't sugar coat it. I also think the person who took offense to his saying boys should stay out of daycare until 3 years old did not read the book very carefully. He does not say that mothers should not work, he says boys should not be put in institutionalized day care settings but that good home based day care or staying with a family member is acceptable. I've read this in other books as well that boys just don't do well in daycare they really need one on one close time with a single, consistent care-giver be it mom, dad, grandma or a home day care.

This book also says many times how it is not trying to put women down or trying to set back the women's movement, it is just trying to show how boys are different. I have already noticed this with my children. I have two girls and a boy and I quickly picked up that my son is 6 months to 12 months behind his older sister in his speaking, reasoning and his ABCs. I talked to his preschool teacher about it and was relieved to find out it is normal for boys to be behind girls and the teacher said exactly what this author says, boys catch up somewhere in middle school but until then they are 6-12 months behind girls emotionally and academically. My son has a September birthday and I will be holding him out a year to start kindergarten at 6 instead of 5. I have already seen it in his preschool class how boys are treated, unwillingly as defective girls. Girls take to things like circle time and learning while boys would rather vroom cars and build block towers. I agree whole heartedly with the author that boys acting out in preschool is because they are anxious or stressed out. Girls withdraw when stressed, boys act out, often aggressively.

If you are ready to hear what this author says then buy the book. He is very strong on dad being a big part of a boys life and goes as far to say if dad is working 55 to 65 hours a week he won't cut it as a dad. This is hard stuff to hear, but if you want your son to grow up to be a good man it will take sacrifice on everyone's part. If we want our daughters to marry good men we need to make sure that we are raising good sons.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 12:39 PM PST

My Truck is Stuck!
My Truck is Stuck!
by Kevin Lewis
Price: $12.99
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cute, January 28, 2006
This review is from: My Truck is Stuck! (Hardcover)
This is a very cute book. My 2 year old son loves it and we read it just about every night. It has wonderful pictures that keep his attention and the story that little boys find exciting - My truck is stuck!

Cranium Cariboo
Cranium Cariboo
Offered by neshemabooks
Price: $175.00
44 used & new from $44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game for preschoolers!, April 4, 2005
This review is from: Cranium Cariboo (Toy)
My 3 year old loves this game and we play it a lot. She already knew her numbers, letters, colors and shapes so it isn't much of learning tool from that point of view, but it helps with taking turns and being patient. I like the game and that helps a lot since I'm more apt to play it with her then Candy Land which drives me crazy. I also like that it is a quick game, about 5 minutes to complete so when you say Last Game (after playing it 10 times in a row), it doesn't take that long to complete. The only problem with it is that the balls will get lost easily as well as the key and I can already see the cards looking used. But that happens to well loved toys.

Return To Mysterious Island - PC
Return To Mysterious Island - PC
Offered by AllDealz4U
Price: $13.17
41 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Really fun game, March 23, 2005
I liked this game a lot. It was fun to find and combine inventory items to make new items. The game was easy enough to play and the puzzles related to the game and were fun. I didn't give it 5 stars because it was just too short. I finished the game in about 6 hours. I would have liked to have had another 10+ hours of game play. The graphics are great and the story is really fun.

The Longest Journey: Adventure Game of the Year Edition - PC
The Longest Journey: Adventure Game of the Year Edition - PC
14 used & new from $19.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really like this one, February 21, 2005
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I had heard such great things about this game but in all reality I found it very boring. WAY too much talk, most of it irrelevant. I finished the game, but skipped most of the really bad dialogue. I would recommend Syberia and Syberia II instead.

Syberia 2 - PC
Syberia 2 - PC
Offered by NAYKED APPAREL
Price: $8.88
36 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Fun Game!, February 3, 2005
This review is from: Syberia 2 - PC (Video Game)
I really enjoyed this game. I liked Syberia too, but I guess by this time, playing Syberia II I was used to all the little quirks that annoyed me in Syberia. The story line is fun (although I have to admit I still don't understand the obsession with the mammoths) the graphics are A+ and puzzles are interesting and related to game play. I don't want to give anything away, but I was actually sad at one part in Youkol Village - you'll know when you get there.

I highly recommend playing Syberia first and then Syberia II but Syberia II is by far the better one.

Page: 1 | 2