Profile for George > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

George RSS Feed

Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System with Wireless Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Video & Audio Center
Price: $239.72
14 used & new from $120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Big sound for a moderate price, June 16, 2011
I purchased this Sony HT-CT550W Sound Bar to go with my 55" Sony Bravia KDL-55NX810 3D TV, and I'm glad I did. For those of you with a newer Sony TV, I would recommend this Sound Bar not only for it's big and full sound, but for it's compatibility with Sony TV's as well.

My Sony TV has the speakers in the back, so the sound reflects off the wall and is hardly an ideal location for optimal sound. Since I have a smaller family room, only 14' or so with an opening to the kitchen on one side, a wired setup was not going to work well. This Sound Bar allows me to mount the speaker on the wall or under the TV and to place the subwoofer anywhere in the room. This really cleaned the look of my family room up and really stepped up the sound. I wasn't expecting much since it's not a 5.1 system, but it almost feels like one with the way the speaker is engineered. Sound seems to envelop you when you are sitting on the couch, and the subwoofer is loud and punchy. I've listened to several stations on Slacker radio through my TV and the bass is great. I'm not sure why the other review said the subwoofer was muffled sounding, but it is quite loud and punchy for me. My biggest worry on this was if the subwoofer would be clear and punchy, and it really is. The speaker looks like it actually has 6 speakers inside, so the crossover can separate the mids from the highs. Everything is routed through the main box, which also has FM capability. The nicest thing is the Bravia Sync, which lets me use my TV remote to control sound, power, and other aspects of the speaker. So far I'm very pleased with this Sound Bar, and Amazon had by far the lowest price. Don't be intimated by other reviews, I've listed to the Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, an Samsung, and so far this is the best I've heard.

Pros:
Clear audio from center speaker
Loud with little distortion
Attractive speaker
Wireless Sub
Bravia Sync
FM radio

Cons:
Subwoofer could be a little more tight, but very good already - not a real concern
Manuals list impedance at 3 ohms...really? QC your website Sony

Overall: Highly Recommend