Profile for Stargate C2 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stargate C2 RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
31 Kisses
31 Kisses
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Another (too) oddly flawed character, July 29, 2014
This review is from: 31 Kisses (Kindle Edition)
I've read some of Chautona's other books and as is usually the case, I enjoy them but only to an extent. This book was no different. All of the female characters are flawed which isn't bad; but these female characters are oddly (weirdly?) flawed. In 31 Kisses, Chessie is outspoken to the point of being rude. I know blunt people and they can sometimes come off rude--not everyone is polite in this world. The problem in the book though is that there is no redeeming quality about the flaw. Chessie isn't willing (as far as I can tell) to learn to be polite. She is the way she is and comes off as a martyr because of it. As a Christian, she should be willing to learn that sometimes she should keep her mouth shut. Does she have good things to say? Yes...sometimes. But there are plenty of times that she could exercise self-control and not say anything.

Also, a lot of Chautona's characters come off lofty or pious. I don't think she intends for that to happen but when they're speaking or thinking it's weird. There really isn't a good adjective aside from lofty for how they think and speak.

Her stories have interesting plots but it's not as enjoyable to read her writing as it could be. So read at your own risk ;)

Dare Me...
Dare Me...
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, February 28, 2014
This review is from: Dare Me... (Kindle Edition)
I understand that this is (most likely) the author's debut novel and that it is not necessarily the best indicator of her writing. However, I have to admit that I couldn't make it past the first few pages before returning it.

The descriptions of the girls were trite and not handled well--she was trying way too hard to vary word usage. Since I didn't survive chapter one, I can't tell you if the book improved...I hope it did. The description was interesting and sounded like something I would enjoy. I wish Ms. Lynn the best in her writing and maybe I'll come across another book of hers someday that I enjoy. Until then, I'll entertain myself with other books.

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (Hunger Games Trilogy 3)
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (Hunger Games Trilogy 3)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A bittersweet ending, January 14, 2012
I loved the entire series, but especially how the author wrapped up this wonderful tale. Because I was so attached to Peeta and Katniss, I didn't want to let go and finish their story. But all good things come to an end including this book and series.
The author did a great job including different twists in the story. I felt completely drawn into everything that happened to Katniss. At one point I wanted to cry and I don't typically cry when I read. But Katniss stayed strong when most people would have curled up and died.
Many kudos to Ms. Collins for the ending. It's hard to know how to conclude a work. And I'm sure that a story like this one was even harder to wrap up. I felt though that she gave everyone the appropriate ending. I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that it was a realistic ending. Maybe not as neat as everyone would hope for, but definitely an ending worthy of our heroes, Peeta and Katniss. And may I also say that I was hoping Katniss would end up with whom she did. Somewhere around the second book, maybe the third, I knew that he was the one for her. And their words to each other, while brief, are absolutely characteristic of them and pack a huge punch of meaning. Seriously, if you weren't satisfied by the ending I suggest rereading it but look between the lines at what isn't said. I'm very sad to say goodbye to Peeta and Katniss and the others. But I'm very glad that I was able to read their story because it was a story worth reading.

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) (Hunger Games Trilogy 2)
Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) (Hunger Games Trilogy 2)
Price: $6.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to the series, January 14, 2012
As I said in my review of the first book--I didn't want to leave Peeta and Katniss' world. Suzanne Collins was once again able to write a great chapter in this trilogy. Oftentimes the second installment in a trilogy can be lame. In this case it was just as good as the first one.
Again, I admit to skimming at times because I wanted, no I needed to know what would happen with Peeta and Katniss. Their relationship was such a huge part of the story, but it was never portrayed as a typical romance. The characters are literally fighting for their lives while learning more about each other. And Katniss discovers something about herself that she didn't know until now. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll stop there.
I highly recommend this book, but make sure you start with the first one. It really is essential.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy Book 1)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly exceptional read, January 14, 2012
I admit it. When I started reading this book it was mainly curiosity since I had seen the trailer for the movie and heard some of the hype associated with it. But I was quickly drawn into Katniss' and Peeta's world and I didn't want to leave.
The author did an amazing job in finding the right voice to tell this story. I didn't feel like a single word was wasted, although I admit to skimming some parts of the trilogy because I was so anxious to find out what happened next :)
While this series is given a "Grade 7 & up" reading level, I wouldn't necessarily give it to a middle schooler. The author handles certain distasteful elements rather well, but this is a book (series) that you almost have to absorb. It's very captivating, which is good, but as an adult I felt a little overwhelmed. In lieu of that, I think letting older teens read this would be best.
Kudos to Suzanne Collins for this extraordinary book/series. Fiction as good as this is hard to come by.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
DVD ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by Shop Zoombie
Price: $7.89
42 used & new from $2.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Ethan Hunt!, January 5, 2012
I love the Mission Impossible franchise! All of the movies, with the exception of the 2nd one, have been fantastic. Before I saw Ghost Protocol, my favorite was the first one (1996). Of course now I've decided that Ghost Protocol is my favorite.
I had heard prior to seeing the movie, that they were wanting to go back to a team-centric story that the original tv series had followed. This film certainly delivered in that area. The team was well-rounded and the writers/directors allowed you to get to know the team a bit better than in the previous films. They also were preparing Jeremy Renner (Brandt) to eventually take over the Mission Impossible for whenever Tom Cruise decides to leave the franchise. While I am partial to Tom Cruise, I have to admit that Jeremy Renner did a good job. He certainly looked as capable as Cruise in the fighting scenes, and I have a feeling that Ethan Hunt will impart some of his confidence and craziness to Brandt before retiring.
All that to say, if you haven't seen this movie yet then go see it. You don't want to miss out on this newest adventure with legendary spy, Ethan Hunt.

Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, Book 1)
Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of disappointed with this for various reasons including a trend that Christian authors like to include in their writing..., January 2, 2012
I read this book because it was free, and yes I know it sounds cheap. But I have found at least one good series by trying out free ebooks. This wasn't one of those series. The plot and overall story idea were interesting, but the execution had some flaws. I am in no way saying that the author did a poor job because some aspects of the book were well written. I think she struggled to tie everything together properly, and that is why I give this book 2 stars. The characters were relatable, but their speech was a bit interesting to follow. Because the characters were Scottish (if I recall correctly), the author tried to include colloquial language....and in this day it was just a bit too much of a stretch to follow. Nice idea, but just write in plain English. Also, there were way too many calamities and near death experiences to be believable. Suspense is good, but constantly threatening your characters with different calamities it a bit much. Find one or two horrifying experiences that are suspenseful enough to last the entire book. And this last grievance I'll address in the next paragraph because it's a rant that I have with Christian Fiction in general.
In order to have romance in a book, you do not have to have a pervading sensuousness that leads the readers minds right into the bedroom. I'm sorry if that sounds crass at all, but too many times I have found Christian authors putting sensuous material in their books. And it doesn't belong. Falling in love can be a beautiful and pure experience. I love how some people say things like "I'm going to marry my best friend" when they get engaged. But what this author and others have included in their books is not wholesome or lovely in any way. It distorts the beauty of marriage as God has created it. Instead of a girl falling in love with a boy because they are attracted to each other and have developed a relationship with each other (and are okay with each other's weaknesses), we have characters who fall in love with each other because the other is a good kisser (and they've only known each other a few pages) or the man is so strong and forceful with the woman. Really? Is that really why we fall in love? Would you kiss someone that you don't even like? Do men need to make women fear them in order to show their love, or do women need to have a forceful man to show them true love? Why don't we go back to the model of love which is shown by how Christ loves the church. It's in Ephesians 5 if you want to check it out.
Sorry to rant here, but I get frustrated by false ideas being touted as the truth. If you're a writer and you're tired of these kinds of false ideals, please do something. We need good writers to encourage current and future generations in literature. I wish Kathleen Morgan the best as a writer, and hope that she can use her writing to show God to others. I'm just disappointed with running into enough authors such as Ms. Morgan who put unnecessary material in their books. In all fairness, I did want to know what happened and was engaged in the book. In fact, I skimmed parts to hurry onto what would happen next (and I skimmed a scene that I felt was unnecessary). Let me know what you thought, because I could have totally misinterpreted the author's intent. Thanks for reading!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 6:11 PM PDT

Knight and Day (Single-Disc Edition)
Knight and Day (Single-Disc Edition)
DVD ~ Tom Cruise
Price: $6.99
19 used & new from $1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and refreshing!, March 5, 2011
Who knew that Hollywood could still crank out a few new and original movies? This one definitely makes the list. Tom Cruise is amazing as the super-spy who crosses paths with the unsuspecting (and slightly enamored) Cameron Diaz. They embark on a journey that is perfectly paced. You will (hopefully) fall in love with this fun spy(ish) duo as they seek to save the world--and each other--from bad guys, worse guys, and even sometimes from themselves. If I write any more I'll give away some spoilers, so go ahead and rent/buy it. I certainly hope that you will love it as much as I do. And remember that "Someday" is a very important word in this film so pay attention. Hope you enjoy!(Very family friendly with only a few objectionable elements)

Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This is definitely not what I was expecting., March 5, 2011
This review is from: More (Kindle Edition)
This book was poorly written and reminded me of a soap opera (maybe a teenage soap opera). The author's writing style didn't flow very well and there was just something lacking in the whole story. I can't put my finger on what it was but it did leave a lot to be desired. I actually didn't read all of it because I was so dissatisfied. The main character was likeable--really the only redeeming quality of the book--but some of the stories that she shared with her guy friends or that they shared with her were disturbing. Would a guy and a girl (especially single "friends") really have conversations like that? Maybe some do, but in my experience they don't. I think that the author was a little bit out of her comfort zone. I'm glad that she made an attempt because I know from personal experience that getting everything to fall into place can be very hard. She is capable of writing a complete work of fiction so I'm sure she can correct her mistakes in this one and do a better job next time. In all honesty, I would not recommend this book. I would stick to Erynn Mangum or Judy Baer if you like this genre.

Cool Beans: A Maya Davis Novel (Maya Davis Series)
Cool Beans: A Maya Davis Novel (Maya Davis Series)
by Erynn Mangum
69 used & new from $0.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, April 10, 2010
I absolutely loved this book. Erynn Mangum has a very engaging and personal style. It was so easy to identify with Maya and her crises and the lessons she learned. I felt spiritually encouraged just reading what Maya was learning. Thank you so much Erynn for your work!

Page: 1 | 2