Profile for ParadigmPete > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ParadigmPete RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
Kuzy - Russian Language Keyboard Cover Silicone Skin for MacBook Pro 13" 15" 17" (with or w/out Retina Display) iMac and MacBook Air 13" - Russian/English
Offered by KUZY
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $7.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover but be mindful of overheating!, February 5, 2014
I have a temperature gauge that sits in the menu bar. Within minutes my temperature spiked from 37* C to 55*C. This didn't make much sense to me, but the computer must vent air from between the keys or something.... This was on a macbook air.

Luckily I only intend on using this for a short periods of time so this is still perfect for me. When I get back home I'm going to keep this on my wireless keyboard, so it should become a nonissue.

***Edit:
I also Noticed that for some reason this cover muffles the sound of the laptops speakers. I guess the speakers are located behind the keys somehow? Just an FYI if you intend to keep this on 24/7 and use the speakers often. This doesn't bother me since I'm just using this to learn how to type in russian and I'm considering this tuition. Once I learn, I'll probably give or store it away.

Wiley CPAexcel Exam Review 2014 Study Guide, Financial Accounting and Reporting
Wiley CPAexcel Exam Review 2014 Study Guide, Financial Accounting and Reporting

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good book but its driving me crazy navigating through this ..., December 12, 2013
Spend a couple hours and add links to the subchapters in the TOC or something. It's a good book but its driving me crazy navigating through this thing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 5:59 PM PDT

StarTech 6-Feet Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Cable - M/M (MDP2DPMM6)
StarTech 6-Feet Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Cable - M/M (MDP2DPMM6)
Price: Click here to see our price
46 used & new from $6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Is what is, does what it does., December 12, 2013
Like the title says, it does exactly what's supposed to. No Problems so far. I would buy it again for sure.

Apple Battery Charger
Apple Battery Charger
Price: $27.99
13 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you'd expect, maybe a little over priced but I'm fine with it., December 9, 2013
Works great, always have batteries on hand for my keyboard / trackpad. Another simple / minimalist product from apple that works great.

Hario VDC-02W V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, White
Hario VDC-02W V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, White
Price: $18.61
110 used & new from $13.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Easy, No Plastic Makes Me Happy, December 9, 2013
I use this every morning. Works ok with standard coffee filters, works great with the "Cone" shaped ones they sell for this. Super easy and quick to use and clean. Also, I love the fact that I don't have to worry whether some cheap plastic coffee maker is leeching chemicals into my coffee.

Dell P2714H IPS 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell P2714H IPS 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Price: $295.78
47 used & new from $216.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Monitor for the Price, December 9, 2013
I've had this monitor for a month now. I'm using it in conjunction with a 2012 Mac Mini. The image quality is great. I use a mini display port to display port cable for connectivity. I was initially concerned with the quality of the stand, but it seems to be holding up nicely and isn't as delicate as my initial impression led me to believe but I would still refrain from man handling it to any degree. It looks fantastic on my desk with my other aluminum cased things. Although the base is silver painted plastic, it looks great right next to my other things. Although being only 1080p, nothing seems pixelated. It's rather sharp, I wish it were 1440p but it's not worth double the price for me. I plan to use this monitor for 3 years and get a new 1440p monitor when the price of those has fallen, when I assume by then 4k monitors will have the status the 1440's have today. The monitor adjustment controls are easy and intuitive.

Summary (1 Month in):
- Stylish (Looks great next to my mac mini)
- Great Controls
- Great Size
- Great Screen
- Great price

Negatives:
- No Built in Speakers (If that's important to you)
- No HDMI (Again, if that's important to you)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model
Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model
Offered by Thunderbird Tech
Price: Click here to see our price
219 used & new from $139.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok for what it's trying to be, ended up not for me., March 9, 2013
EDIT:
Ended up hating this computer. After buying a macbook Air, I hated myself for torturing myself with this POS. Although, if you just want to browse the web and do one thing at time (This thing kind of sucks at multi tasking), then by all means get it.

-----------

I bought this to take with me to the library or starbucks to do some studying. I use it to access both my study material and for note taking on google drive.

I bought an iPad for these purposes originally but multitasking on an iDevice isn't the greatest, especially when one of those tasks involves typing.

I find this is now a great complement to an iPad. I listen to music, do quick google searches and use a calculator on my iPad. I take notes and read my material on the chromebook.

I've only had it one day so far but i love it, super light, long battery life and cheappppp.

EDIT:
I just tried playing music. It is surprisingly good! The quality of the audio through my headphones is very good. It's just as good as listening from my mac. The built speakers, compared to other laptop speakers i've had / heard are like an 8, with a 10 being the best laptop speaker I have ever heard.

Just tried youtube, once video was buffered, it worked great.

I use chrome on all my other devices and I LOVE that all I had to do was log into my account when the chromebook first started up and everything was setup for me to match my other computers. Seamless, painless and awesome.

Hard to tell if I could handle this being my one and only computer as I also own a mac mini and an iPad. I'll update if I form a strong opinion in either direction.

Havaianas Men's Brasil Logo Flip Flop,Black,43/44 BR/10-11 M US
Havaianas Men's Brasil Logo Flip Flop,Black,43/44 BR/10-11 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Sandles but apparently not for my feet, February 6, 2013
I bought these flip flops based on aesthetics alone. I'm basing my 4 star review on aesthetics and build quality alone. These are very good looking flip flops and of very good quality. (I bought the Green ones)

I understand that this is totally an individual perspective and the vast majority of peoples feet might fit fine. I just thought I would put in my experience for anybody else who may be similar to me, also trying to buy this sight unseen.
I am not basing my rating of this product on the sizing at all.

When I bought these, I was hoping they would fit correctly, they don't! I usually wear flip flops made by crocs (they're crocs but have the typical flip flop look, not the ugly croc style) and my feet fit perfectly in those. For some reason in these sandals I feel like my toes are too long and feet aren't meaty enough? By that, I mean that I have to much room in between the foot bed and the sandal strap, the width is fine. So, my foot is kind of loose in the flip flop which is kind of awkward. I doubt this helps, but I'm 6'2", medium width foot, european decent, sort of lanky. 185-190lbs.

OtterBox Defender Series Case with Screen Protector and Stand for iPad 4th Generation, iPad 2 and 3 - Black
Price: $64.99
16 used & new from $58.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't help, February 6, 2013
Edit / Update:

I really liked this case at first. It ended up being ineffectual and cumbersome.

Ineffectual:
I was lying on my side with the iPad on its side watching some netflix before i went to sleep.. I had my hand rested on the top of it... I thought my weight was on the case, when in fact it transferred directly to the iPad. Screen is now cracked. Luckily its only on the sides. I stopped using the case and I have since dropped the iPad twice on Tile Floor. It survived without the case. Though, a corner is now dented and there are some more minor cracks on the edges. iPad is still usable. Unless you have a toddler or a child your giving this too, thats going to drop the thing frequently I'd use it. Otherwise just pay for the applecare and try to be careful with your device.

------

I just received this today. I really like it so far, The stand works great and I now don't feel so paranoid about dropping my iPad. After just minutes of use I decided to remove the included screen protector.

The responsiveness was good with the protector on but I just didn't like that when I touched the screen there was a slight air gap between the protector and the Gorilla glass. I felt like it made the iPad feel cheap, so I decided to removed the included protector from the case.

To remove the protector is a very simple procedure. Just carefully push it out from the front bezel after the case is removed from the iPad. Once it's started it all comes off very easily. The glue is like the kind that you find on the back of a brand new Credit/Debit card you receive in the mail. You know the stuff that is used to affix the card nicely to the paper they send you. So it removes surprisingly easily.

So far I'm happy with the screen protector off, I'm thinking about maybe buying a separate one though, one that affixes directly to the screen in order to prevent the air gap problem. But I don't think I will... with the gorilla glass that comes standard on touch devices such as the iPad these days, it really renders those sort of protectors obsolete.

I'll be sure to update this if my iPad ever takes a fall, knock on wood.

Summary:
-Great Case
-Very Stable and well built Stand
-Screen Protector is good, not great, but easily removable / replaceable.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good - Don't like the middle collar, April 14, 2012
I think this is an almost perfect repair stand. My only issue is with the collar in the center of the vertical pole that allows you to adjust the height. The bottom half of the collar is held on my tightening screws... the top is held by way of a quick release. The problem is that if you tighten the lower portion enough to keep it from coming off the bottom, then it makes it impossible to push the upper part down to make it shorter... to loose and when you pull up to make it taller the whole collar comes off.

I hope I articulated that well enough but overall it's a fantastic stand, I'm just docking it the 1 star for that little oversight... if somebody knows if I'm doing something wrong... comment and I'll fix it and my rating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2012 3:07 PM PDT