Profile for firerizing > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"firerizing" RSS Feed (Charlotte, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Tarot Directory
The Tarot Directory
by Annie Lionnet
Edition: Spiral-bound
47 used & new from $0.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Finest Tool for Teaching Tarot I have Came Across, July 23, 2002
This review is from: The Tarot Directory (Spiral-bound)
The design of this book in and of itself is partially what makes it so great. No more bindings to snap or break or trying to hold a book open to a page while you examine a card. This is a spiral bound book with the wiring enclosed into the hardbound cover. The sections are tabbed, the cards' images are just lovely. The information, while not extremely thorough is certainly more than many starter books give on each card.
I am so impressed with this book, I recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning tarot, who teaches it or has friends who are interested.

The Mythic Tarot Workbook
The Mythic Tarot Workbook
by Juliet Sharman Burke
69 used & new from $0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars any layperson could comprehend the methods, February 20, 2002
Though this workbook is designed to go hand in hand with the Mythic tarot deck, I find this book to be wonderful for my students in tarot. Each card is assigned it's own page and assignments on learning it.
Learning the meanings of each card and commiting them to memory is not a simple process and the manner in which Juliet walks readers through, makes it so easy.
There are guided lessons and meditations for each card to help you learn how to picture the meaning of the card. For instance, The Fool card lesson asks the reader to picture themselves inside of a cave, emerging into the sun light and onto a path. There the reader is asked to imagine they have met the Fool and held a conversation with the fool. You are encouraged to write in the book and record your thoughts and conversation which this card. When you break a lesson on each card down into this fashion like Juliet does, it certainly makes it easier to recall the cards' meaning later in a deal.
She also offers a step by step guide through a few of the basic spreads and I really feel makes it simple enough that any layperson could comprehend the methods.

Practical Astrology: A Simple Method of Casting Horoscope
Practical Astrology: A Simple Method of Casting Horoscope
by Comte C. Saint-Germain
Price: $16.72
14 used & new from $12.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece from days of past, February 5, 2002
One of the earliest pieces I hav found that throroughly examines the correlations between astrology and tarot. But this book does so much more than that. His book details in depth interpretations by each sign and planet within each house and gets beyond the basic rhetoric one finds in many modern books. I constantly find that I am drawn to this book (published 1901) and many other "old" books regarding astrology and tarot, as they aren't simplified or dummied down for anyone. The words may be antiquated, but the education offered is indepth and priceless.

Always Daddy's Girl
Always Daddy's Girl
by H. Norman Wright
39 used & new from $3.76

5.0 out of 5 stars So that's why I am like this, February 5, 2002
This review is from: Always Daddy's Girl (Paperback)
I first got this book and read it in 89, when I couldn't stand my parents, especially my father and was playing out the rebellious teenager that needed independence role. I read it, but didn't read it. I got from it that it was daddy's fault that I failed this or that, or so and so dumped me, or that I couldn't do this or that.
I found this book years later, shortly after my father died and I was going through some of my old belongings stashed at his house. It was the perfect time for it to re-surface, and for the first time I actually read the book.
The only complaint I have regarding this book is emphasis on the "bad" father figures. The ones that aren't home or are drunks or abusive etc. But then again, many are, so perhaps it is fitting.
At either rate, if you have ever had problems with your father figure, this book is a must have for not only putting the past where it belongs, but also resolving any issues left in the open.

The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women and Men Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
by Laura Davis
Price: $19.56
175 used & new from $0.53

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., February 5, 2002
...This book is not meant to heal or treat an individual who has problems. It also does not encourage creating false experiences to explain the hurt in your current life situation.... to true survivors, this book is a godsend and far from damaging.
No one ever told me that a decade after my abuse I would have some of the feelings and memories bounce back that I do now that I am a mother. At that time I had never willingly had sex, no one shared with me how I would feel when I chose to do so. I was very thankful that I had this book to work through my pain when I did have these experiences.

by Laura Davis
Price: $19.56
175 used & new from $0.53

5.0 out of 5 stars The best possible therapy I had..and cheapest too, February 5, 2002
As a Survivor, I spent, and my family spent, over 50,000 trying to help me move past the hurt and embarrassment. A friend recommended this workbook, and the companion book to read, and I believe this was the most influencial in my healing and also the cheapest therapy of it all.
I was 16 when I first entered therapy for the abuse and got this book. At the time, there were events mentioned in the book that I hadn't yet encountered. Now, as a mother of two with a divorce and second marriage under my belt, I find myself flipping through and still working on pages in this book today, over a decade later.
Every time I work with clients who share that they have went through similar experiences, I always recommend this book. It certainly isn't a replacement for therapy, but there are things therapy can't prepare you for that this work book can walk you through.
I also suggest that you take this book to your support group, conselours, close friends and family, etc., and ask them to sign it. Much like a yearbook. It is so encouraging when you feel alone and hurting, that all these people care and love you and support you.

Astrology and Your Health
Astrology and Your Health
by Jeanne Avery
49 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Angle, February 5, 2002
I think many people who delve into astrology, due so to examine its accuracy regarding health and death, illnessses and the like. Jeanne offers a rather simple approach, you don't have to be degreed in a medical field to comprehend her work.
I personally liked the insight on which vitamins/minerals an individual should take or increase take of based upon their chart. I shared some of this information with a friend who works with medical astrology, and he commented that some of her associations to body parts and illnesses are not the same as what is used in medical astrology, however he also stated that it is overall very reliable. (It being the information she provides.)
For any one who works with health and illness and well being in astrology, this is certainly one to put on your bookshelf for reference.

Daily Planetary Guide 2002
Daily Planetary Guide 2002
by Llewellyn
Edition: Spiral-bound
7 used & new from $4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Leave Home Without it!!!, February 5, 2002
This planner is so much more than just a planner. I find I use it as an ephemeris every day and take it with me in my briefcase whereever I go. This is the first book I buy I every year and I imagine will be a continual purchase every year henceforth!
No other ephemeris I know of tells the reader down to the minute when moon is v/c and to what, or the exact minute of a placement any given day. I live by this book!!

Illustrated Tarot Spreads: 78 New Layouts For Personal Discovery
Illustrated Tarot Spreads: 78 New Layouts For Personal Discovery
by Heidemarie Pielmeier
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and informative, February 5, 2002
I really enjoyed this book. It provides detailed instructions for many spreads that I have never even heard of, as well as many I have. I do have to admit though, that a few of the spreads I tried, didn't seem to really "work" well. But then again, not always does one spread suit two different readings or individuals. I think that overall, this book offers more useful spreads than I have ever seen placed into one book as well as using very unique and lovely decks for the pictorials.

Power of the Midheaven: The Astrology of Self- Realization
Power of the Midheaven: The Astrology of Self- Realization
by Stephanie Jean Clement
34 used & new from $3.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Information but overall..., February 5, 2002
This is firstly, I should state, the only book I have come across that focuses at all on the MC, and for that, Ms. Clement should be praised. I have always found the MC to be highly relevant in an individual's chart and most books barely even touch on its significance.
Ms. Clement seems to apply her own ideas as to what each placement means, and I am not sure at all that some of them are correct. While there are always opportunities for new applications and certainly should not be thwarted or discouraged, I would like to at least be offered her reasoning on some of the interpretations she offered.
The bulk of this book is charts and birth datas for an individual to refer to while learning. I found that to be extremely beneficial, as you can erect the chart and work your way through the learning process.
Midheaven is so much more than just the tenth house cusp and work ethics and so forth, it really is the deeper side of our own individual selves. I think that the reader should use this book to learn more about the MC's importance, but as far as interpretations, if it sounds incorrect, verifiy it with one of the "Planets in" books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6