Profile for nsv > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 583

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

nsv RSS Feed (The Everglades)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Specter Cube Set, Beet, One Size
Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Specter Cube Set, Beet, One Size
Price: $37.29
2 used & new from $36.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd had these last month, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last month I had to travel for a family emergency, and those trips are always the hardest, all the way down to the travel logistics. I never got organized once I got there, to the point where it was all I could do to keep my toothbrush accessible. I looked a wreck, but at least nobody noticed.

I'm packing again for a slightly less stressful trip, and these packing cubes are fantastic. I've rolled and stuffed eight t-shirts into the largest bag. Delicate (and not so delicate) underthings are in the other two bags, well over a week's worth. All the small things that made it so hard to find anything in my suitcase are stuffed into these bags. Everything that's left is large and easy to move out of the way--a pair of jeans, a spare pair of shoes.

If I can actually unpack once I get there, the plan is to roll and stuff laundry into the largest bag. I usually use a plastic grocery bag for that, but things fall out of those, and I am always missing a sock when I get home. Keeping everything together in a zipped bag will be nice for a change.

It's too soon to tell about long term durability, but I'll update this review if I manage to damage these things. So far, they seem like they're going to last. And somehow they've streamlined the packing process, which is a huge help.

Sample received.

Five Star Expanding File, 6-Pocket, 12.25 x 10.25 Inches, Blue (73078)
Five Star Expanding File, 6-Pocket, 12.25 x 10.25 Inches, Blue (73078)
Offered by 911 DRUGSTORE
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $10.66

4.0 out of 5 stars So far this filer is surviving my abuse, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Someday I swear I'll organize my papers, but for the moment I use this (and a Wilson Jones vertical filer) for storing small parts and wire spools.

These things aren't designed for that, but they seem to be holding up well. I've only been beating up on this Five Star for a few days, so if it fails I'll update this review.

The Wilson Jones (WJ) and the Five Star (FS) share a lot of the same design features, and the same flaw. The WJ is vertical, which I disliked for paperwork but it works well for small parts, while the FS is horizontal and much more convenient for paperwork. When the day comes to deal with the paper explosion, this is the filer I'll use.

The biggest problem I'm having is that the filer isn't really expandable. The sides expand but the bottom does not, so if you need to file standard sized paper there's about an inch of thickness to work with. Beyond that, paper will begin sticking out the top.

This filer has tab pockets and extra inserts, so sections are easy to label and change. Unlike the WJ, though, this filer doesn't have removable file folders. That's a feature I've gotten used to and I miss it here.

The colors of this filer are eye catching, and when I put it down somewhere and forget it (which probably only happens ten times a day) it's easy to spot from across the room.

So far this seems like a solid filer. It's holding a lot of small parts without damage. Unfortunately the bottom doesn't expand, so it will never be wider than about an inch at the bottom. Aside from that problem, it's doing the job well so far.

Five Star Advance Spiral Notebook, 1 Subject, 100 College-Ruled sheets, 11 x 8.5 Inch Sheet Size, Black (72162)
Price: $9.77
2 used & new from $9.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A while ago I got a Five Star 5 subject notebook, and the only real problem I had with it was that it's really heavy. This 1 subject notebook has the same heavy duty parts and pretty good quality paper, but with only 100 pages it's lighter and easier to manage.

That means it fills in the gap I had with the five subject: "I don't like to carry this with me because it makes my backpack uncomfortably heavy. For me this is actually an advantage, because now I scribble notes on a loose piece of paper and copy them into the notebook when I get home." That was a great plan, but I tend to lose the occasion stray piece of paper. Plan B: Scribble sloppy notes into this lightweight notebook, copy them neatly into the 5 subject when I get home. It works, my final notes are actually legible, repetition helps me remember, and I don't have to carry a heavy notebook along with all my other junk.

I've even stolen one of the dividers out of the five subject and put it into this notebook. It's really handy to be able to organize that way.

This seems like a notebook that should be durable enough to last a whole school year, and Five Star promises to replace notebooks that don't last the year. ("This guarantee does not cover damage due to abuse", they warn.) It has a heavy-duty divider, covers, and binding, and and better quality paper than I'd expect. The divider is movable, which is convenient. I can't find anything to complain about here.

Cat's Pride C47712 Fresh and Light Ultimate Care Premium Unscented Hypoallergenic Multi-Cat Scoop Litter, 12-Pound
Price: $13.99
5 used & new from $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Blocks odor, but the cat tracks it everywhere, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I always figured there was one thing I wanted cat litter to do--control odor. This does that and I should be happy with it.

But maybe because it is so light, the cat tracks this litter all across the bathroom and into my bedroom. I've never seen anything like this. With every other litter I buy, almost all of it gets caught in the mat in front of the litter box. With this one, walking into my bathroom is like walking on the beach.

On top of that, this litter clumps, but not as well as other scoop litters I use, because the clumps disintegrate before I can get them into the trash. That means that litter gets everywhere, but since the floor needed serious cleaning from all the tracked litter anyway, that's not really an additional problem.

There's plenty that's good here. In addition to the odor control, there is very little dust. It's been nice to have a bathroom completely free of cat litter scent, clouds of dust, and cat waste odor. If Cat's Pride could somehow do something about the tracked litter and make this easier to scoop, I'd happily pay extra for it. For now, I think I'll mix in some of the old litter and try to get some of the benefits of both.

Natures Bounty Artichoke 350 mg Standardized Extract Capsules, 100 Count
Natures Bounty Artichoke 350 mg Standardized Extract Capsules, 100 Count
Price: $23.27

4.0 out of 5 stars No news is good news, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been taking this for a while, with meals, as instructed. So far there have been no bad side effects, or actually, no effects at all as far as I can tell.

Nature's Bounty is kind of vague. "Supports antioxidant health". I'm not sure how I'd report or even know that this is doing that.

Other reviewers report effects like better sleep and "detox", and headaches, sadness, and acid reflux. I could use the better sleep, but so far, nope. (It's four in the morning as I write this.) And I've had none of the other symptoms, either.

So chalk me up for no bad side effects, anyway. I don't know if I can recommend this or what I'd recommend it for, but it seems to do no harm.

Five Star Advance Spiral Notebook, 5 Subject, College Ruled, Green (73148)
Five Star Advance Spiral Notebook, 5 Subject, College Ruled, Green (73148)
Price: $19.97
2 used & new from $19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, heavy duty notebook with movable tabbed dividers, with just a couple of minor complaints, July 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
And one of those complaints is unavoidable. This is a nice, durable 5 subject notebook, with plastic covers and dividers and a cloth-covered spiral binding so that the wire doesn't catch on hair or clothes. The paper is surprisingly good for a school notebook, and it's enjoyable to write on. With all those advantages, this is one HEAVY notebook. I can't see having all these features and making the notebook lightweight, too.

I don't like to carry this with me because it makes my backpack uncomfortably heavy. For me this is actually an advantage, because now I scribble notes on a loose piece of paper and copy them into the notebook when I get home. I can organize my notes a little better, write them neatly when I'm not worried about keeping up, and the repetition helps my memory.

The dividers and tabs are also durable, but I wish I could write on the tabs. This is also not a big problem--I've taped a note to the inside front cover with a list of subjects.

There's even a mark on the binding cover that matches the color of the front cover, so if you have several of these on a shelf (yow, THAT would be heavy,) you can see at a glance which one you need.

This seems like a notebook that should be durable enough to last a whole school year, and Five Star promises to replace notebooks that don't last the year. ("This guarantee does not cover damage due to abuse", they warn.) It's heavy, but has heavy-duty covers, binding, and dividers, and better quality paper than I'd expect. The dividers are movable, which makes it easy to set aside extra paper for the most painful subjects. I really wish this notebook had been around when I finally had to break down and take English Composition.

Tanors Ceramic Burr manual Coffee Grinder with Water Resistant Travel Bag and Cleaning Brush, Stainless Steel
Offered by Global Quality Merchants
Price: $18.99
3 used & new from $18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not an even grind. I prefer my old Hario, July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using a Hario coffee mill for several years, and it does as good a job now as it did on day one. But we've cracked the plastic container that holds the ground coffee, so I thought I'd try this one before that old container completely breaks.

This grinder has features that I've gotten used to and I like. A lid on the section that holds the coffee beans prevents spills. The slender form is easy to hold. The handle is nice and long, slightly longer than the Hario, making grinding very easy.

A feature of the Hario that I miss here is the ability to hang the handle from the lid of the mill, taking up less space when not in use and making it easy to find the handle. There is a bag included with this mill which will keep everything together, though I tend to not store kitchen gear in waterproof bags if I can help it. (I live in a swamp, and things get musty and moldy quickly if they're sealed up fairly well.) I'd use that bag if I travel and bring the mill with me, for temporary storage to keep the rest of my suitcase clean. The mill is small enough to travel.

The big problem I have, though, is the ground coffee that's produced by this mill. We've backed off the mill until the grind is a little too large for our needs, but the mill still produces a great deal of dust. We made one pot with this mill and one with the Hario at the same time, using the same coffee, and while the Hario produces a grind that's a little variable, there's nowhere near the amount of powder that comes from this mill. (We did both at once to be sure the problem isn't old, dried out coffee beans.) It looks like the shaft in this mill is at a slight angle, and that might be milling the coffee a bit too finely where the shaft angles toward the side.

The capacity is not bad. It seems to hold slightly less than the Hario. One pot for us is two ridiculously large mugs of coffee, and we filled the top of this with 30 grams of beans, ground that, then added the rest and ground again. For one person with a large mug or two people with regular mugs, this should work.

I'm doubtful that the storage compartment is "vacuum sealed", but if you're grinding your coffee fresh in a small capacity mill you probably won't be storing it in the mill for a long period of time.

I do like this mill, and if it produced a more consistent grind I'd get rid of my old coffee mill. For now, I'll keep it for occasional use and for travel.

Wellness Kittles Grain Free Natural Cat Treats Made in USA Only, Salmon & Cranberries, 2-Ounce Bag
Price: $3.07
11 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The cat loves these. They'd be great if he could keep them down UPDATED, July 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
7/25/2015 update: It took a few days, but the cat adjusted to these treats. For a few days he vomited within an hour or so every time he got one of these treats, but in spite of that he absolutely loved them. (He might not be the smartest cat in the neighborhood.) Less than a week later it stopped. I only give him one at a time and give him a little while to digest, but these are his favorite treats and I'm happy I can give them to him.

7/12/2015 original review: My cat looked a little surprised when I first offered one of these, but once he got a whiff, he went right for them. He loves them, and I've got to lock the bag away so he can't get at it.

But he can't seem to keep them down. This is not a cat with hairballs or other problems like that, and the bottle of carpet spot cleaner had a layer of dust when I had to take it out a few days ago. Since then I've given him one or two of these a day--they're very small, especially compared to all his other treats--and I've eliminated other treats to try to make it easier on him. And every time I give him one, an hour or so later there's a retching cat and a gift next to the bed or by the door.

(I guess I should be happy he isn't barfing ON the bed.)

These smell very strongly and my hands feel oily after handling them, so they might be a little richer than he's used to. I'll try again for a few more days and see if he adjusts, but I'm not going to put him through this for too much longer. It's a shame, because he really likes them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2015 1:22 PM PDT

Waste King L-8000 Legend Series 1.0-Horsepower Continuous-Feed Garbage Disposal
Waste King L-8000 Legend Series 1.0-Horsepower Continuous-Feed Garbage Disposal
Price: $124.99
53 used & new from $96.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Two and a half years, no problems at all., July 12, 2015
I bought this a couple of years ago to replace an InSinkErator Badger that started to leak a week or two after the warranty expired. Usually when I'm angry and I rush to replace something, I don't make the best possible purchase.

This time I did. The Waste King is run daily and there have been no problems. Switching from the Badger 3-bolt mount to the Waste King EZ-mount was simple. And it was easier to install the Waste King than it was to *remove* the InSinkErator.

It's nice to know there's a lifetime warranty, but I'm hopeful that I won't have to use it.

I'm not planning on moving, but if I do, checking for an ISE Badger and replacing it with a Waste King will be high on the list of things to do. I really like sleeping through the night without a water alarm beeping at me when the disposal starts to leak.

Sundown Naturals Ayurvedic Balance Joint Health Capsules, 90 Count
Sundown Naturals Ayurvedic Balance Joint Health Capsules, 90 Count
Price: $24.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps with nausea. The jury is still out on "Joint Health"., July 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already take turmeric, and the dose in this is insignificant compared to my regular Subscribe & Save supplement.

What I wanted this for was the ginger, because in the past I've used ginger to help with digestive problems like nausea. It works for me, and I was hoping that a regular low dose would help keep regular low-level nausea under control. I've been taking one capsule at night for that purpose, and for the first time in years I've been waking up without any nausea at all. It's wonderful.

I'm not expecting any kind of miraculous joint healing, though I really could use some. If I'm wrong I'll be happy to update my review and admit it. Regular use of turmeric and frequent use of ginger over the years haven't done anything for me yet, though.

Sundown promises to "balance out a chakra and holistically promote overall wellness", and as far as that goes I have no idea. But I'd absolutely recommend this for help with nausea.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20