Profile for Mana Ionescu > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mana Ionescu "@manamica" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Art of Space
Art of Space
by Mary Cook
2 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book that Clearly Teaches the 7 Principles of Interior Design, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Art of Space (Hardcover)
I've never been artsy so I had a bit of a deficit as an adult trying to envision the ideal space for me. I've been a bit disappointed with the advice I find online, since it's mostly decorating advice, not "design," advice. In other words, I was looking to learn how to create a space, not just how to embellish one. This is the first book I found that made me think, "now I get it." The book walks you through 7 principles to employ to create your space, starting with objective, then function and livability, scale + proportion (my favorite chapter), light + lightning, color, pattern + texture and significant + relevant ornament. Don't look for the "over the top design" that no one has lived in. This is a gorgeous book for designing homes that will make YOU happy. It's one of a kind. I can also see this book as a fantastic manual for the interior design student. I highly recommend it.

Star Trek Into Darkness [HD]
Star Trek Into Darkness [HD]
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, September 14, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The subtle references to the original Star Trek trivia, such as the "red shirts," were quite funny. Lots of action, twists and turns. It follows somewhat of a templated formula. But this isn't meant to be an art house movie. It is great fun scifi.

Eddie: The Sleepwalking Cannibal
Eddie: The Sleepwalking Cannibal
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Endearing Cannibal, a Fun Time for the Comedy-Horror Lover, April 24, 2013
I'm a huge fan of horror, but not that big a fan of your typical Holywood horror-comedy. Eddie is funny, endearing and thought-provoking... and gory. Although it's not the unwarranted type of gore you see in the Walking Dead. It's a fun ride. I loved the unstated question - what would happen if you met your muse but your muse is a sleepwalking cannibal? Also my favorite exchange in the movie is: Lars: "He eats small animals in his sleep?" Leslie: "It's not as bad as it sounds." Lars: "...it sounds pretty bad..." Watch it, enjoy it, dare to laugh.

Monsieur Lazhar
Monsieur Lazhar
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite 2011 Film!, August 29, 2012
Monsieur Lazhar was my favorite film in 2011. So charming, so honest and tragic in some ways. The acting is fantastic, but it's the way the director depicts the difficult topics of immigration, and the role a well-meaning, yet imperfect teacher, plays in helping students deal with loss, is that makes this film so endearing. And despite tragedy, the film keeps a positive and hopeful note until the end. The kids are charming, the dialogue is well-paced (those who speak French will appreciate it even more but the translation is pretty accurate). It's just a gorgeous films, with the right mix of drama and hope. No wonder it was nominated for an Oscar. I highly recommend it.

Da Bird Value Pack (1 Da Bird Original Single 3 Foot Pole Cat Toy & 2 Extra Guinea Feather Refills)
Offered by Litterboy Products - For Pets and People
Price: $14.25
3 used & new from $14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty Lost Her Mind Over This, April 3, 2012
Our cat loves this so much she is doing back flips. The other day I found her sneaking into her toy box and dragging Da Bird out to get me to play with her. I also have to admit I love it. The way the feathers catch the air and spin around, the sound it makes it's somewhat hypnotic. I could just stand there and swing Da Bird around and relax while kitty has the time of her life. Great product, great design... I may pick up fishing after this experience :).

Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 - Nintendo Wii
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 - Nintendo Wii
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $13.99
71 used & new from $2.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fun like Wii Fit, not effective like Jillian's videos, November 12, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I am a huge Jillian fan and have gotten great results from her workouts. The philosophy behind her workouts is to combine strength training with cardio in fast-paced circuits to get the most effective workout in the shortest period of time. Following her videos accomplishes that, playing the game doesn't, mostly because the game has long pauses between exercises. I also tried to create my own circuits but didn't see enough variation between exercises to get a good upper-body/lower-boy/cardio/abs combo circuit. I do love how having the board and wii-mote keeps me honest when I exercise but I will only use this game when I'm bored and I don't want to get a hard workout. For my regular workouts I will continue to use Jillian's videos.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked fantastic but short lived, October 15, 2009
I bought 2 of these and kept one and gave the other one to someone else. I use my phone when I run to listen to music and track my runs, so I needed an adapter for my running headset, and the long heavy adapters were cumbersome while running. These guys worked great for about 3 mo and then both stopped working the same week. I'd have to press really hard on the jack for it to work and as soon as I'd release it stopped connecting.

So I'm giving it 3 stars because it's the most functional of the adapters I've seen (small and not intrusive). They're also cheap. But they don't last much... and having 2 break at the same time I'm convinced quality is an issue here.

But I'll buy two more because I need this size adapter...

ScarAway Professional Grade Silicone Scar Treatment Sheets - Full Dr. Recommended 12 Week Supply 12 Multi-Use Patches with Free Storage Case Included
Price: $23.38
3 used & new from $23.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Scar Sheets, very similar to Neosporin Scar Solution Sheets, January 23, 2009
I've used these type of scar sheets through 3 surgeries with great results. I have to note however that I don't generally get Hypertrophic scars or Keloids, so it may be that my skin just naturally heals easily. Also, I've never used them on old scars.

I've used both Neosporin and ScarAway sheets and they are 95% the same. I'd say the neosporin ones were a bit thicker (but right now I can't find Neosporin sheets to buy anywhere). Be very careful when peeling the cover off the ScarAway sheets to not rip the silicone layer. Even though the makers advise washing and reusing, I am only able to use the sheets a few more times after washing. On average I'd say I get about 5 days of use per sheet (I only take them off while showering).

The sheets stay on certain parts of the body easier than on others. This is not because the sheets are bad but because our bodies are not flat unmoving surfaces. For example, right now I use one on the front of my shoulder, one on the back of my shoulder, but the one on the back always peels off because I sleep, toss and turn on it. The one on the front could stay on for days.

Despite the cost I think they are well worth it. They keep the skin in the scar area moist and supple and are simple to use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

Charles by Charles David Women's Contour Pump,Berry,8.5 M US
Charles by Charles David Women's Contour Pump,Berry,8.5 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful shoe and color, thin build, January 23, 2009
Generally Charles David shoes fit me perfectly. This shoe is a bit on the thin side, so I may recommend buying a half size larger. Other than that the shoe is very well built, the sole and heel are balanced well for a great fit. The Berry color is very modern. This makes for a great spring/summer shoe.

AcuRite 02309 Weathered Copper Tube Thermometer with Sun and Moon Accents
AcuRite 02309 Weathered Copper Tube Thermometer with Sun and Moon Accents
Price: $18.78
16 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars nice-looking thermometer, only measures to about -4F, January 23, 2009
The thermometer looks nice, it is large enough to read easily but it only measures to about -20C (approx -4F), even though the scale shows measurements to -30C (-20F). This winter I got no use out of it once the temperature dropped below -4F. In conclusion, the thermometer is great for warm climates and summer temperature readings.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3