Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Anne Rice > Reviews

Browse

Anne Rice's Profile

Customer Reviews: 228

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anne Rice RSS Feed (Southern California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jesus: Neither God Nor Man - The Case for a Mythical Jesus
Jesus: Neither God Nor Man - The Case for a Mythical Jesus
Price: $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, and very readable. I sense brilliance and insight. just beginning my study of this book., June 28, 2016
Having read a lot of "The Jesus Puzzle," I'm into this book, taking it slowly. Just want to say I find it very compelling! It's well written, and I'm not finding any errors. I'm an amateur, I admit that up front, not a professional biblical scholar, but I have done my time loving and reading the bible, and studying many of the major scholars, both skeptic and believer. And for what it's worth, I think this is a fascinating and well argued and compelling read. i'm learning from it, learning a lot. If I eventually come to the conclusion that this book is not worth a recommendation, I'll come back and take this review down or edit it. But for now I'd say this book is very intriguing, very rich, and I see brilliance here, brilliance and insight. --- After having dismissed the idea of a mythical Christ for years, I'm now finding this infinitely more convincing than I ever imagined it could be.

The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
by Earl Doherty
Price: $19.95
31 used & new from $5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highly readable. Wonderful comprehensive treatment., June 25, 2016
This is an excellent book. I've read almost all of it, and feel quite secure recommending it. I'm a little suspicious of some of the dismissal of this book as having inaccuracies. I'm not finding any inaccuracies. The writing is clear, compelling, easy to follow, and the text is rich is material. Just a very fine examination of the whole question as to who Jesus was. Quite an achievement, this, to present so much complex material so efficiently.

The Golden Thread: The Ageless Wisdom of the Western Mystery Traditions
The Golden Thread: The Ageless Wisdom of the Western Mystery Traditions
by Joscelyn Godwin
Price: $16.55
43 used & new from $10.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, eloquent accessible history of ideas., June 17, 2016
I've haven't finished the book yet but got my money's worth in the first hour of reading. This is beautifully written, very accessible and deliciously illuminating. It is the kind of history of ideas that I find especially valuable in trying to see the big picture. And my mind is always longing to see the big picture. Highly recommended. --- It's a treasure.

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: A George Smiley Novel (George Smiley Novels)
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: A George Smiley Novel (George Smiley Novels)
by John le Carré
Price: $10.64
99 used & new from $3.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Grim Literary Masterpiece., October 7, 2015
Dark painful literary masterpiece. I frankly found the experience of reading this like being in a nightmare. But it was exquisitely done, a grim, elaborate, grudgingly moral and profoundly pessimistic piece of fiction designed to make the reader suffer. It is in its own way powerfully romantic, in that it renders the world in such extreme joyless and dismal terms, and ends with such bold strokes of cruelty. There is nothing of pedestrian realism in it. In this regard it made me think of "Last Exit to Brooklyn" by Hubert Selby. Both novels seem merciless and despairing indictments of a world that has convinced itself it is morally bankrupt. . I'm glad I read it, but would not want ever to be in it again. As I'm 74, I do remember the world of the 1960's and I can understand why this novel is considered "emblematic" of the times. There was a deep exhaustion still hanging over the West then, due to the two great wars, due to the Cold War, and it seems our collective culture needed time to regain unapologetic faith in itself and in its capacity for joy. But this novel makes a metaphysical statement about life that is bigger than its story or its time, or its particular circumstances. I admire Le Carre very much. I recommend this as I do Selby's novel, and Remarque's novel, "All Quiet on the Western Front" about an earlier time. Such dark gems.

A Death in Vienna (Silva, Daniel)
A Death in Vienna (Silva, Daniel)
124 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and meaningful story that transcends the genre, while still being a thrilling page turner., October 2, 2015
This is the sixth Gabriel Allon novel that I've read. I read two recents ones and was so impressed that I went back to the beginning and I'm now reading Allon's adventures in order. Well, I didn't think Silva could top "The Confessor," but "A Death in Vienna" does indeed top it. This novel takes on an immense theme --- the horrors of the Holocaust, and the immense debt owed to ALL its victim by ALL of us --- if we are ever to recover from the inhumanity and cruelty of the Second World War, and move on to a world in which such ghastly horrors can never again happen. And the author treats this immense theme with dignity, feeling, restraint, and wisdom. The book is beautifully written. Yes, it's "a spy novel" and there are inevitable touches of the romance and artificiality inevitable in good page turning spy stories....and this is indeed a page turner!....but this book is infinitely more. It way transcends the limitations of a genre. I recommend it heartily to anyone who enjoys fine writing, a thrilling plot, and who craves a deep vitally important theme as well as terrific storytelling. I love Silva's characters, particularly Ari Shamron, and Gabriel Allon, the enigmatic and every human hero. I love his vocabulary, his phrasing, his use of adverbs, his subtle way of revealing the thoughts and feelings of his people. I love the way he describes the cities and towns and rooms through which his people move. But I think I love more than anything else the unfolding tale of these Israeli spies and the great historical and religious legacy that informs their particular struggle. Just a great book. Loved it.

The Confessor (Gabriel Allon)
The Confessor (Gabriel Allon)
Price: $6.49
220 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER SUPERB THRILLER FROM A MASTER, September 30, 2015
Enthralling throughout. This is perhaps the finest of the Silva novels I've read so far, and I am going right into another. Loved the richness of his vocabulary, the stylistic flourishes, the finely drawn characters, and the remarkable chase and action scenes. Suspenseful to the last page. Superbly crafted throughout. This is one fine writer on every level. --- His plots are complex and filled with marvelous surprises, and his style is always enjoyable in itself. I love being with his heroes. I love being in his world. I love the great international scope of his novels, and the strong moral overview at the core.

The English Spy
The English Spy
Price: $19.28
336 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant spy thriller that transcends the genre., September 15, 2015
This review is from: The English Spy (Hardcover)
Another superbly entertaining novel from Silva, and a pleasure to recommend on all levels. Fine writing, lean, often beautiful --- and appealing characters always exquisitely drawn and as interesting as they are sympathetic. There is the deep romance here of many spy novels or films ---in that the heroes are presented as noble but deadly, expert executioners with a profound moral vision. I like their deep sensitivity to personal loss, and they strong blood and tribal ties. As in "The English Girl," the locales are glamorous, exciting, expertly rendered whether we're talking Lisbon and other European capitals, or the bleak coast of Ireland. And the Author's Note is compelling and persuasive. Silva must surely be known as "the thinking person's thriller writer." I don't know of any novelist whose done better in this genre. And the book transcends genre enough for me to care about it deeply and want to read more of this author's work. A pleasure to recommend.

The English Girl
The English Girl
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
266 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars For me, the Ultimate Thriller Writer: such a combination of intelligence, beautiful writing and riveting suspense., September 14, 2015
I bought this on a whim, and discovered what may be for me, THE ultimate thriller writer. Loved it. Loved the substance, the intelligence, the international political scope ---- combined with a truly fluid and beautiful writing style. Loved the hero, Gabriel Allon. Loved the vividly described locales. And of course the storytelling, the pace, the suspense ---- all marvelous. Going right into "The English Spy." What we enjoy is always a personal decision, and very likely we're all always seeking just the right mix of elements --- to entertain, absorb, carry us away yet give us more than simple distraction. For me, I don't think it can get any better than this.

Make Me: A Jack Reacher Novel
Make Me: A Jack Reacher Novel
by Lee Child
Price: $19.26
402 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jack Reacher novel I've ever read. And I just may have read them all., September 12, 2015
Maybe the best Jack Reacher novel I've ever read. And I may have read them all. Not sure. But this was just terrific. Loved the descriptive touches, the precise details, the pace, the sense of place, and the surprises. Never guessed the ending. Never saw it coming. Just superb. Jack Reacher at his finest.

Garrow's Law Season 1
Garrow's Law Season 1
DVD
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly done historical series spotlighting a legendary British lawyer ---- wonderfully entertaining and inspiring., August 16, 2015
Superbly done historic series about the great British lawyer, William Garrow, at the Old Bailey, and his role in the developing of criminal trial law. Just loved it. As so often with these British series, the actors and actresses were perfect, and I fell in love with Alun Armstrong as John Southouse before the third season finished. Also fell in love with Michael Culkin as Judge Buller. Rupert Graves made for a pathetically human yet somehow charming villain. Lyndsey Marshal gave a very credible performance as an intelligent woman wrestling with matters of honesty, honor and the love of her child. Aiden McArdle was just marvelous as the prosecuting attorney so often pitted against Garrow. And Andrew Buchan was very sympathetic and convincing as the lead. The writing was superb. I only discovered this series a week or two ago, and I am so sad that it was not continued. If only it could be revived... I thought it captured the spirit and ambience of the 18th century (and potentially the early 19th century) beautifully. Highly recommended, not only for those who adore British historical drama but for all those with a special interest in the law. ---- It inspired me to order a biography of William Garrow immediately.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20