Profile for Zachary Crichfield-Caron > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Zachary Crichfield-Caron RSS Feed (Riverside, RI)

Apple USB Superdrive
Apple USB Superdrive
Price: $72.99
54 used & new from $46.99

2.0 out of 5 stars By a different drive to avoid frustration, October 14, 2012
I bought this drive as an external drive for my Macbook Pro Retina. The MBPR has only two USB 3.0 ports; attached to one port is a cable that goes to my USB hub, and, the superdrive is connected to the other onboard port. I have not been able to get it to work off of a USB3 hub port; I HAVE to plug it directly into the computer.

Performance: the drive is very picky about taking in and ejecting CDs, Also, I use VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop, and let me tell you, it is a nightmare getting the drive to "hot-connect" to a VM. While it is a decent CD/DVD Writer, it only seems to play nice from within OSX. I have a different external CD-write on the way ( http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-208AB-TSBS-External-DVD-Writer/dp/B005KQ0S8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350207003&sr=8-1&keywords=external+cd+drive ) and I am hopeful it is going to perform better than the Superdrive.

I plan on taking some of the money I am ultimetely going to save and going to buy

I would classify myself as a geek who likes to tinker; for that reason, this drive is not a good fit for me. If you are doing things that try and use the drive in a different way (i.e. running VMS from Parallels and VMWare) then I would recommend you follow the above link. You will be much happier in the long run, and it will save you a chunk of change ($48.75 to be exact). If you are a typical Mac user who just uses 1 computer for basic tasks and occasionally read/write CD's, I would still urge you to go the above model; however, if you want to be sure about compatibility, then get the Superdrive.

I will reiterate the big con about the Superdrive: you HAVE to have it plugged into a USB port ON the computer, and NOT through an external hub. Good luck!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 3:17 PM PST

Anker® AH121 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter [12V 3A High-Capacity Power Supply and VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $69.99
6 used & new from $33.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hub for the Money, but iPad will not charge off of it, September 15, 2012
I don't normally take the time to rate most products on an individual basis. After looking at all of the reviews for this hub, I am simply shocked to see how well mine works while others are having problems.

I am using it attached to a new Macbook Pro Retina; I have tried it on both ports, and I have 2 USB3 Devices, and although I have not conducted any speed tests, I can tell you for sure that the rates at the hub level and at the port level are very close, even with multiple devices under load at the same port.

To anyone out there looking at a USB3 Hub: take whatever amount of ports you think you will need and add at least two or 3. The MBPr only has 2 USB3 ports, and I do have to say that I have accumulated my share of external hard drives, flash drives, a superdrive, iPhone, S3, iPad. I was originally only looking for a 5 port hub. In retrospect, I am glad I got 7; I constantly use between 4-6 active ports (I do run a port off to an external USB2.0 hub, but what can I say, it's easier to use the device closer to the computer.

There is one problem that I have with this hub that prevents me from rating it at five stars. While being plugged in, my iPad will not charge off of the port on the hub.
I actually was not too concerned nor surprised when I found this out as my previous computer would not let me charge the iPad off of its native port either. However. the MBPr does allow it to charge if you run the iPad straight to the computer. It's too bad there are only 2 ports native to the computer.

Other than that, this is a solid, well built device. THe ports are spaced nicely so anything that may have a wide 'hilt' can be accommodated. Again, I have not tested this in a benchmark form, but I can assure you, this device transfers data at the device limit; there is NO issue with bottlenecking at one port, which is pretty amazing since I am talking close to a few hundred Mbps over one port.

All in all, as long as you don't rely on this hub to charge an iPad with, you have a five star rating in my book. I hope my advice about the lack of iPad charging helps a few people; a hub that charges an iPad, let alone a USB3 hub that does, must be a diamond in the rough.

[UPDATE]

Me start off by saying that my original rating on the hub still stands. however I would like to say that I have had some periods of what I would like to call "flakiness". Devices that are connected to the hub will suddenly become disconnected and reconnected and since I usually have hard drives plugged in this can cause potential data loss. After reading other peoples reviews I do understand this to be a real problem and something that should probably be addressed in future models. however I also want you to keep in mind that I am using all seven ports of the hub; four of them power self powered hard drives and three of them are attached to medium power draw devices. It could be simply that I am placing too much electrical strain on the hub and is causing a brief disconnect of the drives. I could investigate this further by unplugging certain devices and trying to trigger an intermittent failure, but I do not feel that this is safe for my hard drives, nor do I think it is truly worthy of my time.

I would also like to point out that since my last review it seems that the title of this is has been updated to include a new chipset since October; hopefully the new chipset will address these issues. However even if it does not I would still have to say that for the money this is the most economical seven port hub that you can buy at the moment. I would simply advise you to use caution when plugging in self powered hard drives if you want to avoid data loss. I am keeping my review at four stars simply because of the iPad issues that I mentioned earlier. With this being the first generation of a new product I do not expect perfection however I will rate ir according to how I think it should perform.

So the question is in the end should you or should you not buy this device? I would say by simply beware of what you plug into it as to avoid brownouts and lack of iPad charging.

Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
by Christopher Hadnagy
Price: $23.33
84 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book for not only social engineers, but for how to communicate with people., August 3, 2012
I have read "The Art of Deception", and it is pretty good. I would have to say though this is my favorite book on social engineering. It encompasses more psychological "tools" for you to use, and each "tool" is well defined, and an example is provided. Whether you are a security auditor, salesperson, or just want to communicate better, read this book.

SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Price: $7.95
119 used & new from $2.75

3.0 out of 5 stars You may be taking a gamble, August 3, 2012
I have had this drive for four months. I use it in the course of my duties as a computer technician to house backup files, operating system images, and I use it as a storage device for our scanner. The read/write speed is so/so....I have seen faster, I have seen slower. If you are looking for speed THIS DRIVE IS NOT FOR YOU. That being said, this is a tiny flash drive. It comes with a slot for a lanyard, but does not have a lanyard included; I use a keyring on mine just so I don't lose it.

However, over the past couple of days, the drive is starting to fail me. I have tried this on multiple computers and get the same result: the drive does not always get recognized when you plug it in. I have to unplug it, wait a few seconds, and replug it in, rinse and repeat, until it finally works; I think it is safe to say that the drive is possibly failing, but I don't know how. Maybe it is from plugging it in a couple hundred times?

If you want a decent drive and speed isn't your concern, go for this drive, considering it is small and holds a lot of information. Just be careful not to lose it.

Scare Tactics: Arguments that Appeal to Fear and Threats (Argumentation Library)
Price: $166.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Greed at its Apex, April 3, 2008
for the price of this book, one gets brief glimpses intto few of a great number of fallacies. Aalthough the colorfull story of the book is briliant, the lesson(s) could be gleamed from maaany other books, particulary of the subjectts of philosophy, arguments, and logic. After finding this book att the library, i wanted to own it; after seeing the price, I see it as my duty as a reader and sttudent of philosophy to urge you away from the pit of money this book demands for the small parcell of knowledge this book returns. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book in a epic tale, April 1, 2008
in my opinion of the gunslinger series, this book's test of Roland, the apprentise of his teacher has to prove his worthiness to be a gunslinger. In the first batttle of many to come, has to beat his teacher in his righthood to become a Knight of sorts. His fight againsttt his teacher is a captivating battle of which this book is, the first of a series ttha in my opionion, the best of the series; in short, if one enjoyies long stories, you MUST read this book
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2008 9:49 PM PDT

Why the Kindle Will Fail
Why the Kindle Will Fail
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, completely biased book., February 2, 2008
I actually purchased this book to simply evaluate what the author had to say about something he seemed to be informed about. However, the author admits that he has never haed a kindle, abd it seems like he is basing his opinions on brief overviews that do not comr close to ezplaining all of the features: however, some of his observations are partially correct. Sure you can buy a dictionary seperate, but once you come across a few words on a page that you dont understand, you will truely appreciatee the speed at which you xan find definiyions with minimal effort. amother invalid observation is that the kindle only crawls across the internet; it is faster than dial up and free so why complain? i simply believe the author wrote this book as a cheap trick to get you to spend your money on something tyhat will surely@attract your attention.
Simply put, i took the time to write this review to tell you that there is no truth to this article,and to not waste your money on it.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2012 4:56 PM PDT

The Equinox (Vol 1)
The Equinox (Vol 1)
by Aleister Crowley
3 used & new from $535.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, lots of bulk, but packed with idioms and witty humor, September 14, 2005
This review is from: The Equinox (Vol 1) (Hardcover)
This is THE set if you want to study Magick (which stems from meditation, yoga, using one's will). It helps the student a lot, especially in volumes 5 and 8 where he teaches Gematria and gives out lengthy examples as oppossed to 777. Definetely the longest read he has made, the 10 volume 1992 Weiser set is the one to look for. I had the 2 book set, and the spine of the book was unstable, and it just wasn't the same. With this, the text is nice and big, so it makes it so much easier on the eyes (which already hurt from meditating LOL). Watch out for the 1992 edition, only 750 of them were made and they are now precious jewelstones in the modern Magickians' life of study.

93 93/93

Frater 227

Solar Arcs: Astrology's Most Successful Predictive System
Solar Arcs: Astrology's Most Successful Predictive System
by Noel Tyl
Price: $21.54
41 used & new from $11.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on predicting future circumstances, May 12, 2005
In this complex but extremely educational book, Tyl describes the Solar Arc theory amongst others to show you how to exactly progress your NATAL chart foward in order to see the new aspects formed. This book focuses little on basic planetary triggers, but leans heavily on the concept of midpoints (which are far more productive in Transits) I would say, that this book is not for the first-time astrologer; I would highly recommend "The New Way to Learn Astrology: Presenting the Noel Tyl Method" by Basil Fearrington. It is geared more like a school text book, with chapters and quizes at the end of each chapter. I own over 15 Astrology books, and I think Basil and Tyl have it down. Solar Arc theory is highly recommended, but make sure you have a basic knowledge of houses, signs, planets, and the combinations of. If you do, or at least have the concept, buy this book.