Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more
Profile for J. Mahon > Reviews

J. Mahon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Mahon RSS Feed (Heartland of America)

by Peter Ames Carlin
Price: $19.28
244 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Most personal biography on Bruce I've read, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Bruce (Hardcover)
In some ways, this biography is a rehash on the biography's by Dave Marsh (Born to Run and Glory Days), but what Marsh didn't give us, this book does, an intimate account of Bruce's early life in New Jersey, to include dealing with a Manic Depressant father, which fueled Bruce's loneliness (but gave us wonderful songs) and some very personal behind the scenes accounts of life on E-Street.

I've been a fan for nearly 40 years and Bruce has kept his personal life very guarded, which is ok with me and I respect that, but the effect of that has been a vision of Bruce constructed only from what his machine gave us.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the details of his early life. I've grown up with Bruce through his stories about his relationship with his father as told on stage and through his songs, but those only paint a picture of a father and son not getting along, as most fathers and sons don't. The fact that Mr. Springsteen suffered from depression (and I would even bet it was PTSD from the traumatic loss of his sister from a horrific accident when they were young) has given me a whole new perspective to what a young Bruce, his Mom and his sisters must have endured. His father wasn't just a stern, hardened man of the era wanting his son to pursue a noble profession, he was a deeply hurt man isolated and unable to connect with his family. This kind of depression went largely undiagnosed in those days and people had to deal with it the best they could, not truly knowing what was wrong. Bruce's way of dealing with it was in words and music. A lot of teenagers are attracted to strapping on a guitar and being in a band just because it made you cool and you got all of the girls. Bruce strapped on that guitar to escape a fate he didn't want anything to do with.

Especially precious were the details about Bruce and his relationship with his paternal grandparents, who basically raised him as a young child. They doted over him obsessively, much to the frustration of his mother. I enjoyed the same relationship with my grandparents so I understood and related to this part of Bruce's life. It made me smile reading it.

The rest of the book of Bruce's rise to stardom I've read before, but what I didn't read about was some of the darker parts of life with Bruce by his band mates. For years, life on E-Street looked like pure Heaven on earth, playing in one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time, with one of the greatest rock and roll artist of all time.

All said, this book is perfect for the long time fan because we connect with Bruce on a level not enjoyed, nor understood by the casual fan. The casual fans may enjoy the book, but I don't think will appreciate those intimate details as they are not connected to the songs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 3:00 PM PDT

Wrecking Ball (Vinyl LP)
Wrecking Ball (Vinyl LP)
Price: $22.48
53 used & new from $16.30

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Born in the USA, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Vinyl LP) (Vinyl)
All of Bruce Springsteen's releases are incredible, but Wrecking Ball is his best in 30 years. To me, it's the new Born in the USA. Not in terms of popularity and catchy pop songs, but in message.

BUSA was an album reflecting the slice of life and turmoil America was experiencing in the aftermath of the Vietnam War and the depression of the 70's. Wrecking Ball is that message for our current hard times.

Each song is a call to action, a bugle call lead by the Irish fighting song, "Death to My Hometown", but then again, each song can lead the charge to take back our country, our way of life and our lives. Bruce is telling us and the powers-that-be that we're Americans and we can overcome any adversity and give it back to the oppressors in the form of our own Wrecking Ball backed with the power of American determination, dedication and anger.

Thanks Bruce. We needed you to lead the charge.

Gathering Storm: America's Militia Threat
Gathering Storm: America's Militia Threat
by Morris Dees
81 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate literature littered with inaccuracies, October 4, 2008
This book should classified as Hate Literature. I've followed Morris Dees and he is one of the most hateful people, cowering under the umbrella of "liberalism".

This book is over a decade old and none of the fear-mongering he promoted in this book has come to light.

Now that we have a new enemy, and to prove Dees doesn't just hate white Christians (which is very obvious), I would like him to write a companion book, or amend this one with our new threat, Radical Islam, who pose a real and valid fear within America.

For some reason, I don't think he will.

Nephilim and the Pyramid of the Apocalypse
Nephilim and the Pyramid of the Apocalypse
by Patrick Heron
Price: $12.46
99 used & new from $0.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, October 3, 2008
I have been a born again Christian most of my life and I have never really explored the subject of the Nephilim until just recently.

"Nephilim and the Pyramids of the Apocolypse" is the first book I have read on the subject and I am glad it was.

Mr. Heron has provided a well investigated treatise, (backed with Scripture to include the Book of Enoch) and I came away with a better understanding on who the fallen angels are, why they did what they did, who their offspring are, the absolute hell they turned the pre-flood world into and finally, why God had to destroy it.

Above all, I have a better grasp of the end-times and who the Anti-Christ might be.

It also makes you understand pagan cultures and why they worship who they do and did. For instance, I now believe the old Greek gods were actually these fallen angels, and they ruled the pre-flood world with violence, inpunity and chaos. You will also know who built the pyramids both in Egypt and across the globe and what they mean.

When you read Mr. Heron's book, you will come away with a better understanding on the history of the world (from a Christian worldview) and why it is the way it is today.

The Book of Enoch along with this book should be required reading for all Christians.

Nephilim Stargates: The Year 2012 and the Return of the Watchers
Nephilim Stargates: The Year 2012 and the Return of the Watchers
by Thomas Horn
Price: $14.95
32 used & new from $7.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Too New Age for me, October 1, 2008
I bought this book after reading Patrick Heron's wonderful book "Nephilim and the Pyramids of the Apocolypse" and was realy disappointed.

Horn's book stays within the same theme as Heron's book, (beings mixed DNA with pre-flood humans) but for me, that is the only thing they have in common.

Where Heron's book stays within a Christian theme (the beings were fallen angels, led by Satan) Horn mixes New Age themes and it becomes a bit confusing. Horn describes both fallen angels AND super-intelligent beings from other planets. Does he think they are the same?? I really don't know. He mentions fallen angels, UFO's and ET's as if they are separate entities.

There is no message of salvation in "Nephilim Stargates". In fact, I really didn't come away with any message except something bad is coming our way and the world is ending in 2012. If I wasn't a Christian and didn't believed in salvation, I would probably come away from the book with a sense of dread and hopelessness. Maybe I misunderstood the book thinking it was Christian, so it could be my fault.

He does quote Scripture, but some of the quotes were nothing close to what I referenced in my KJV Bible. In fact, some quoted scriptures seemed to be completely rewritten, or completely misinterpreted. Very dangerous to me.

He does quote a lot from other authors and even devotes a large section to his fictional book he has written on this subject.

I would pass this one up and instead, read Patrick Heron's book I referenced above.

Pennsylvania Diners and other Roadside Restaurants [VHS]
Pennsylvania Diners and other Roadside Restaurants [VHS]
Offered by Skerb
Price: $19.95
13 used & new from $6.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable piece of Americana, March 8, 2006
I've owned the VHS version of this PBS show since it first aired back in 1993 and have watched it regularly since.

I am a diner enthusiast and thank God for Rick Sebak (who sucessfully narrates too). He has captured a piece of Americana that is being long forgotten in the wake of corporate fast-food chain expansions that have the personality and taste of an unlit cigarette.

Once you watch this program, you will want to visit one of these unique and valuable family restaurants for yourself. Good, because they must be preserved.

Remember, before there were the megla-corporate food chains, there were the hamburger stands and diners. They all began in these humble beginnings. Rick Sebak has done a another fantastic job!

Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld, Expanded Edition
Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld, Expanded Edition
by David E. Kaplan
81 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay...but too much Marxist propaganda mixed in.., March 3, 2005
I bought this book ready to dive into some indepth info on the Yakuza, but found it hard to ignore the Marxist propaganda interlaced throughout.

I can only come to the conclusion that there is something else the authors want to get across other than Yakuza history. In fact, I would even venture to say that this book is 80% Japanese/Yakuza history, and 20% Marxist propaganda.

If you can weed out the Marxist, left-wing extremist diatribe, the book is a good read with lots of history.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2009 6:00 PM PDT

Devdas [Theatrical Release]
Devdas [Theatrical Release]
DVD ~ Shahrukh Khan

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!!, November 16, 2002
I went to see "Devdas" with my cousin and was blown away! I have never seen a Hindi film and now I know how spectacular they can be.
It reminded me of an old musical from the golden era of Hollywood.
My only complaint is the movie was rather long at 3 hours and 15 minutes, but I attribute that to the long musical numbers that could have been shortened a bit. Most musical segments seem to have run 10 to 15 minutes and given there were 4 or 5 of these segments, it contributed quite a bit to creating that third hour.
The lead actress (Paro) was absolutely amazing and her beauty was hypnotizing.
But lets not forget the story of love and class struggles of early 20th Century India.
It truly was a heartwrenching story. I recommend it completely.
Bravo Bollywood!

KJV - Defender's Study Bible by Dr. Henry Morris, Ph.D.
KJV - Defender's Study Bible by Dr. Henry Morris, Ph.D.
by Thomas Nelson
Edition: Leather Bound
3 used & new from $193.48

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best study Bible available, April 16, 2002
The Defenders Study Bible by Dr. Henry Morris is THE BEST Bible I have ever owned. I have been a Christian for most of my life and I own several different study Bibles but they all pale in comparison. Why? Because they compromise the word of God. In most of my other study Bibles, they make you doubt Gods word, especially in regarding the creation in Genesis by adding that the creation could have occurred over a longer period of time.
Dr. Morris verifies the six day creation with other bible verses. He doesn't rely on his beliefs, he relies on other scriptures for verification. The Lord would not need longer periods of time to create the world because he did it right the first time and does not need more time to let things "correct" themselves. He is a perfect God and he created a perfect world in six days. Why would God say six days when he meant something else? This is where faith plays a vital role in reading and interpreting the scriptures. You either believe God means exactly what he says or you don't. Satan compromised the word of God to Eve and look what happened. God means exactly what he says. Exactly.
Another plus is the scientific analysis of creation and the great flood. He describes using other scripture how the flood occured and the effects of the flood on the world scientifically. It really strengthens Gods word.
Having this Bible in the King James Version is comforting also because it is as close to the original Hebrew and Greek text as we can get. There is no interpretations. I compare verses from this Bible to my other Bibles and the changes are dramatic and sometimes entirely different. To me this can be dangerous.
In Job, some of my Bibles change the words Behemoth to Hippo or elephant and Leviathan to Alligator..... Now I have never seen a hippo or an elephant with a tail the size of a ceder tree, and I have never seen an alligator have smoke and fire come out of his mouth and nostrils.
I recommend this Bible and all of Dr. Morris' other books to all Christians, both new and old.

Your Money or Your Life: Why We Must Abolish the Income Tax
Your Money or Your Life: Why We Must Abolish the Income Tax
by Sheldon Richman
Price: $14.95
35 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every single American, February 26, 2002
This book is one of the best written on the subject of abolishing the income tax.
As Americans, we have been taught that paying our fair share of income taxes is the American way and our patriotic duty. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, the income tax is 100% against the American way and violates our very own Constitution.
This book exposes the complete history of the income tax, and its tyrannical, Gestapo like collection agency, the IRS. The IRS is the most feared organization American has ever known and they operate outside the bounds of the Constitution that is supposed to protect us from tyranny in government. What happened? Read this book to find out all of the sordid details.
Not only is this book a history lesson, but more importantly, it shows that we can survive without the income tax as we did for more than one hundred and fifty years before this form of communism was implemented into our lives.
If every American read this book, there would be a revolution by tomorrow morning.