Profile for Denise M. Law > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Denise M. Law "Mike Law" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Rocket Man: Robert H. Goddard and the Birth of the Space Age
Rocket Man: Robert H. Goddard and the Birth of the Space Age
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, October 21, 2014
A good read about the man, his dream, and his pluck and those that believed in him. I enjoyed this book.

Parallel Worlds: Fact or Fiction?
Parallel Worlds: Fact or Fiction?

Good read

An Easy French Reader: Un Village En France (Easy French Readers t. 3) (French Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning French reader, October 2, 2014
A good beginning French reader .... all the books by the author are fun reads for a beginning language learner.

Thermo for Normals: Everyday Thermodynamics for Non-scientists
Thermo for Normals: Everyday Thermodynamics for Non-scientists

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 2, 2014
Well written and a good read .... I liked it.

NASA's Flight Aerodynamics Introduction (Annotated and Illustrated)
NASA's Flight Aerodynamics Introduction (Annotated and Illustrated)
Price: $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 2, 2014
Good book ..... for the curious, people like me.

True BASIC Bronze Edition v6
True BASIC Bronze Edition v6

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning package for a nominal price, yet capable of much more., July 14, 2014
Great product, I developed a software package called: CO-SOLVE-IT! with an earlier version of True Basic for DOS/MAC. I began with the most affordable and least expensive version called "Bronze" (to learn the fundamentals of programming) on both Windows and MAC computers, as I learned to program I graduated to the most comprehensive version then called: PRO today "GOLD"

True BASIC Gold Edition v5.5
True BASIC Gold Edition v5.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, I developed a software package called: CO-SOLVE-IT! on an earlier version of True Basic, continued with GOLD, July 14, 2014
GOLD was especially useful in the migration of code from DOS to WINDOWS. As my project grew from a few kilobytes to Megabytes of compiled code TRUE. BASIC met my needs. As we all know technology evolves rapidly and keeping code current is a challenge, TB Basic has tools that helps keep code up to date. For example:
My project spanned years and earlier bits of code written in other version of BASIC were easy to migrate to TRUE BASIC because conversion tools are included in TRUE BASIC Silver and GOLD editions. TODAY,
I still use both TB Silver and GOLD and dabble with improvements to my software CO-SOLVE-IT!. Found on the Internet as shareware in the mid 1990's when the Internet was new, and proving is power to distributed a useful simulation tool for predicting solvent and polymer interactions and other solvent properties useful to the Paints, Cleaners, and Ink printing industries. True Basic made it possible, a great learning tool and product development tool.

Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, July 13, 2014
Well written, and a different treatment of a complex and gifted man.
I read this book in installments so that I had time to think things through. I have also read several other biographies on J. Robert Oppenheimer and while others are very good this was the best.

The Wright Brothers
The Wright Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great illustrations and text -, May 10, 2014
I liked the illustrations and text a lot, a light and pleasurable read that appeals to adults and kids alike. I thought this book well designed and loved its use of technology to highlight each panel. Early comics books did not reproduce very well even on a 10 inch screen iPAD this comic books looked very good on that same first generation iPad and should do fine on 7 and 8 inch screens with good (higher) screen resolution. I noticed that his book is the effort of a number of contributors, they made a good book. I'd like some more books done this well.

Rocket Boys (The Coalwood Series #1)
Rocket Boys (The Coalwood Series #1)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written book two tales (author and reader) of many lives, May 5, 2014
This is a well written book that holds your interest and in my case was a trip down memory lane. I too like many boys raised in the 1950's and 60's was inspired and challenged by the launching of sputnik and like Homer I built rockets beginning where Homer finished with dimensions and power enough to reach altitudes measured in miles. But unlike Homer I had to do this in only a couple iterations because I lacked what Homer had in terms of support at school, home, or community. I had the ability to imagine as Homer did and I was good at Physics and Chemistry. I taught myself a little materials engineering and got a friend that was taking a high school shop class to do the fabrication work from my drawings. We made several successful launches and sent them down range into Lake Ontario. We had a lot of fun and learned a lot but without my getting needed support, especially educational support, I never made it to NASA. I suspect my story is a lot more common than is Homer's as a lot of things clicked in his favor, especially his mother's support paying for college and encouraging his youthful experiments. In the USA is takes a lot of money to get an education. Self study is good but It takes a lot of money to get a credentialed education and I suspect a lot of Homer's like Homer senior or me did not reach our full potential because had that happened maybe Mr. Hickam would be reading my book on rocket designs. I also was only a few feet away from JFK but did not field a question on rockets or education as I would have asked why support going to the moon and do such a poor job supporting low cost state supported higher education the way it is supported in Europe.
Sure was fun ... Michael Law