Profile for A. Marsh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Marsh RSS Feed

iRobot Braava 320 Floor Mopping Robot
iRobot Braava 320 Floor Mopping Robot
Offered by MallStop
Price: $145.99
48 used & new from $110.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's wonderful and more than worth the price, February 8, 2015
So right now I'm writing this review while my floor gets magically swept by my Braava. It's wonderful and more than worth the price.

We just moved into a ranch home that's almost entirely wood-laminate and tile floors and, bonus, the tiles in the kitchen and breakfast room are white that show every speck of dirt ever to pass through our state. I realized that first week that I could either sweep and mop twice daily or I could get some help. A few minutes on Amazon later and I had my first robot.

A few limitations, first: Braava is not a vacuum. It's basically a swiffer attached to a remote-control car. It has the same limitations as a manual swiffer - this isn't good for those big, chunky messes. You'll still need your broom for larger food particles and such. Nor is it a deep scrubber. As others have noted, bigger spills on the floor are too much for it. And, sadly and my one real complaint, you can't program it to clean at a certain time each day. Instead you do need to unplug it, put on the little cleaning cloth, and set it in the place you want swept. Still far easier than doing it myself, though!

There's a bit of a learning curve, as well. My Braava seems to have obstacle aggression and hates partially opened doors. It will spend long minutes repeatedly banging into a door if allowed. So doors get shut. It has trouble with my kitchen chairs so I move those into another room. Also the kitchen/breakfast nook layout is rather odd, with an island and a jutting countertop, and I've found that Braava does much better if I throw down a rug between the two areas to block it off. Doing just one at a time takes it maybe 45 minutes each while, when I had it do both at once, it took far longer and repeatedly got stuck and needed rescuing.

I picked up more cleaning pads for it because I don't like doing laundry every day and I do like running Braava at least that often, if not twice a day, so it was an easy investment. I got the licensed ones though I know others have had good luck with the swiffer ones. I can say that swiffer disposable pads - the yellow, tissue-like ones - don't work. I spent most of that experiment "rescuing" Braava after some sensor set it off every three feet. Lesson learned.

With all that said, I love my little Braava and my floors do as well. My white tiles are actually white and my laminate wood floors look pristine and all I had to do was set Braava up and let it go. Utter magic.

Black & Decker D5500 Digital Evolution 1500-Watt Steam Iron with Ceramic Soleplate
Offered by OrangeOnions
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable little thing, August 30, 2012
I received this iron five years ago as a gift. As a sometimes professional seamstress, I used it a lot and, until recently, wouldn't have had much to say about it. It works well, heats up quickly and accurately, and generally does what it's supposed to without any fuss. And then, a few weeks ago, I accidentally put it through the wash. Still not sure how. It's stored above our top-opening washer and I was doing a load of quilted fabrics and somehow it must have fallen in.

I was certain I'd have to buy a new iron. I mean, it's a computerized iron. That had just gone through a full wash. Detergent and all.

Let it dry out completely, plugged it in, expected smoke if anything ... and it's still working perfectly. Amazing.

Yes, it's a little unstable while sitting upright. Yes, it shuts itself off far too quickly for my larger pressing needs. Yes, it's impossible to fill the water reservoir without getting water everywhere. But darn it all, this thing can survive a washing machine and for that it I'll deal with those quirks.

Jesus & the Rise of Early Christianity: A History of New Testament Times
Jesus & the Rise of Early Christianity: A History of New Testament Times
by Paul Barnett
Price: $22.54
57 used & new from $8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and detailed overview of early Christianity, September 1, 2011
This may be one of the most dense books on my shelves, which is saying quite a bit as I'm mid-thesis at the moment. Barnett is a masterful writer and researcher - his book is fully accessible to someone new to this world and yet his dense footnotes provide hours of fascinating discovery for the advanced student of the first century. His meticulous research and clear presentation of the material makes this a must-read for anyone with even a passing interest in the world from which Christianity sprung. I highly recommend this to both scholar and novice friends alike - this is a true treasure of a book.

Franciscan Desert Rose Recipe Box
Franciscan Desert Rose Recipe Box

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of wood and packaging, February 12, 2008
This recipe box is so fantastically hideous it's rather a marvel. I'm usually a fan of my desert rose accessories but this one ... wow. The thing is it could be so lovely and functional and yet it fails spectacularly. As mentioned before the size is so wrong. It's too thin, width wise, for the larger recipe cards but it's so darn deep that the smaller ones disappear as if down a hole. This wouldn't be horrible if it were wide enough, depth wise (front to back), to dig down and flip through the cards, but it's only about 2" that way, not nearly enough had it NOT been made too deep. So it's worthless for actually storing any recipe cards unless you enjoy dumping them out each time you want to look through them.

So it fails as a recipe box. But how about just a nice storage box? After all, we have more than recipes that need a pretty place to live. And this box could be it ... if they'd only made it pretty. Don't get me wrong, the wood is gorgeous, light but with a fantastic sheen and depth. That's fine. But those flowers on the front? You'd think they were painted on or at least stamped on in franciscan quality. Nope. Instead they look like they're printed onto the wood with early 70s quality printing. No, wait, that's an insult to early 70s printers. Just trust me, the flowers are HORRIBLE. They're semi-transparent (not good when the background's medium brown - muddy flowers), the colors overlap horribly, and the printing quality is something you'd see in the Sunday comics with large pixels. Seriously, going to your local craft store, picking up a recipe box and stickers, and doing it yourself in five minutes (heck, giving it to your toddler to do in five minutes) would yield an infinitely better box. It truly is that bad.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it at twice the price, December 18, 2006
I'm a cheap person so before buying a moleskin I couldn't imagine paying this much for a notebook. Then I bought one ... this little notebook could not be better designed. The cover is hard enough to protect the pages but not bulky, the pages lay open nicely and the ruling is just right, the bookmark and elastic strap are both really handy, the pocket in the back is just right, it's large enough to write in, small enough to fit in a back pocket ... it's just a wonderfully designed book all together that makes notekeeping come naturally. Try it, you'll like it. :)

A Baby for Dry Creek (Dry Creek Series #6) (Love Inspired #240)
A Baby for Dry Creek (Dry Creek Series #6) (Love Inspired #240)
by Janet Tronstad
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful little read, April 28, 2005
I first picked up the book because of the synopsis on the back - the story of a girl naming a perfectly innocent man as her baby's father and then the promise of it all being resolved in some faith-affirming way (it IS an inspired romance, after all) was just too trashy to be true. And it was. I guess the synopsis writer never read the book itself. Instead of the inane plot promised on the back, I found a new favorite author and book. Before reading the book, ignore the back - I spent half the book trying to figure out what was going on as I tried to resolve the synopsis with what I was reading. To summise the differences, Chrissy never named Reno as the father, she didn't initially want to return to Dry Creek, and Reno only went to go get her because she's "almost family," what with his sister being married to Chrissy's cousin. In all it's a delightful book with a wonderful cast of characters that are quirky and endearing and a slightly skewed romance-novel plot made all the better by Janet Tronstad's tongue-in-cheek style. I laughed to the point of tears in a few places, especially the ending involving bar-b-que forks and a tractor chase. Keep an eye on her name as she's proven in these little novels to be an extreamly gifted writer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

A Case of Crooked Letters (A Morning Shade Mystery series #2)
A Case of Crooked Letters (A Morning Shade Mystery series #2)
by Lori Copeland
58 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun stuff, April 18, 2005
The Morning Shade Mysteries are a chick-lit version of the Mitford series. While billed as mysteries, they're really slice-of-life books with a light, no-harm-done mystery woven through it all. Maude, who's first person narrative marks every other chapter, is a wonderful, realistic woman stuggling with money, her mother in law, and faith. Despite being in a completely different period of life, I really identified with Maude like I haven't with the too-sweet heroines of Christian romance. If you prefer plot-driven books then pass this by, it's not what you're looking for. However if you're in the mood for a light character-driven book that will cause you to laugh, sympathize, and cause you to think about your own daily existance, then pick up this book. You'll like it!