Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 389

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "jrkirkham" RSS Feed (Rushville, Illinois USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Astronomy For Dummies
Astronomy For Dummies
by Stephen P. Maran
Price: $13.85
57 used & new from $13.10

4.0 out of 5 stars I just finished this book and I like it., January 23, 2013
This review is from: Astronomy For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PROS:
* Packed with useful information
* Easy to read
* Designed with the novice in mind
* Detailed table of Contents
* Equally good index
* Easy to read writing style
* Comprehensive
* There's something in there for everyone.

CONS:
* Not many pictures, This is a drawback for an astronomy text
* Most of the pictures it does have are in black and white
* Perhaps a tad bit overly optimistic (That is observing some of these objects might be more difficult than the text leads the reader to believe)
* It touches on many things, but doesn't take the time to dig very deeply into most of them

CONCLUSION:
Just as the title implies, this is a nice, easy to read text for the novice. It is also a useful reference book for more experienced observers. This is because one can quickly find a couple of paragraphs on nearly any astronomical topic. I don't think I would choose this book if I wanted a field manual for observing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2014 3:46 AM PDT

The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets: A Monthly Guide for CCD Imaging with Amateur Telescopes (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)
by Ruben Kier
Price: $25.47
59 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Of limited use to me, but still worth five stars, October 28, 2012
I shoot with a DSLR camera and not a CCD camera. This book is designed for use with a monochrome CCD, therefore it was of limited use to me. That's not necessarily bad. The book is so good, that even limited use rates a five stars from me. It helps me to know the best targets that are out at any given time and how to best frame them. I consult the book nearly every week. I am glad that I purchased it. If you shoot either a CCD or DSLR camera you know the difference and what I am talking about. If you think the price of the book is worth the price of a guide book that shows you what is up and how to frame it, then purchase the book. If you think the book is going to give you tips on imaging and processing with your DSLR, then don't purchase the book. If you shoot a CCD, there is no question. Get the book.

The Astronomy of the Bible An Elementary Commentary on the Astronomical Referencesof Holy Scripture

3.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't work for me., October 28, 2012
Since I am both an amateur astronomer and a person of faith, this looked like an interesting title. I found the book to be dated and wordy. It didn't really speak to my spiritual or scientific side. I don't think it is a bad book. It just didn't excite me.

Handy Calc
Handy Calc
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but easy to use with big buttons., October 28, 2012
This review is from: Handy Calc (Kindle Edition)
This is an inexpensive, simple, easy to use calculator for your Kindle. Why should you choose this calculator over others that are available? I can think of only one reason. It has big buttons that are easy to hit with my fingers. I don't need a complex calculator. Sometimes people want as many bells and whistles possible for their dollar. That's how they decide if it is a bargain. I didn't want that. I wanted an easy to read screen and big buttons. That's why I selected this one. I wasn't disappointed. You each have to decide what is right for you.

Meteors and How to Observe Them (Astronomers' Observing Guides)
Meteors and How to Observe Them (Astronomers' Observing Guides)
Price: $19.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect book for me., October 28, 2012
Earlier this year I began a study of meteor showers. I wanted to find a book that would allow me to dig deeper. Some of my friends wondered why I would need a book on meteors and how much deeper a person could dig. After all, they reasoned, meteor showers come from dust left over by comets. They happen at predictable times. You simply count them, and that's that.

They were wrong. I wouldn't have time to go into all that I learned from this book, but this book elevated my meteor study to one of my favorite astronomical studies. There is enough material in this easy to read to last for a long time. In fact, after reading the book, and spending considerable time logging meteors over the past several months, I still find myself going back to the book and using it as a resource text.

Just last week, while watching the Orionids with some friends, we saw a long, slow, green meteor streak across the sky. We tried to remember, "What does green mean again? That's right, green shows the meteor contains a lot of nickel. Hmmm, was it an Orionid or sporadic meteor? Do the shower meteors contain nickel?" Did you know it is possible to set up a radio system and hear the meteors ping while you are watching the shower, or that it is possible to use a radio to hear the ping of meteors in the daylight? These are the sorts of things one learns from reading this book.

A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras
A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras
by Jerry Lodriguss
Edition: CD-ROM
Price: $28.86
5 used & new from $28.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginning Manual, October 28, 2012
I wasn't sure whether to order this ebook on DVD or not. I read views that were both positive and negative. I decided to take a chance. I am certainly glad that I did. This book affirmed some of what I have been doing with my astrophotography. It corrected a few places where I could do things better. It stretched me beyond my present skills in several areas. What more can one ask for from one book? When I got the book I quickly read through it. Once I finished the first time through I went back and started over again slowly, using the book like a class text and practicing each of the techniques. I kept the ideas that helped, and continued with a few ideas that I liked better the way I was already doing it. I haven't finished the slow read yet, and don't expect to for a long time. This is the kind of book that will be useful for a long time. Once I've finished the slow read, I plan to use the book as a reference text.

Orion 9462 12x60 Astronomy Binoculars
Orion 9462 12x60 Astronomy Binoculars

4.0 out of 5 stars Are They Light Enough to be Portable?, March 31, 2012
I recently purchased a pair of Orion 12x60 Astronomical Binoculars and thought I would let you know what I thought of them. I waited a few weeks because I didn't know what I thought of them. I purchased them as possible replacements for my inexpensive 30 yr. old pair of 10x50 binoculars which are starting to show their age.

Weight: The 12x60s are noticably heavier. Though they are still very light compared to larger binoculars I could feel the weight. My favorite way to look at the night sky is with binoculars. I go out every night and sometimes 2 or 3 times a night. These were just heavy enough that after the first week I felt like a youth again. Let me explain, when I was younger I lifted weights and my muscles always hurt. After the next week or so the soreness began to go away. Thank you Orion for helping me get back into shape.

Ability to Hold Them: Other than being a little heavier, I was impressed that I was able to hold them on target just as well as I did my old 10x50s. The views were much better than I expected. It was almost like looking into a small telescope. Remember, my original 10x50s were an old inexpensive pair. With a good pair of 10x50s I don't know if there would be as much difference.

Annoying side light: The new larger eyepieces of the 12x60s along with their increased eye relief allowed more annoying side light to bother me. I finally started wearing my hoody to correct this. I hope the U.S. never outlaws hoodies!

Which do I like best?: I didn't know the first few days, so I decided to do an experiment. I simply stopped thinking about it. I hung both pairs of binoculars on hooks near my back door and used both pairs for the next couple of weeks. I figured that if I did this long enough I would forget the novelty of the new and one day I would notice that I was no longer using one pair. It worked. I went about my business. A few nights ago I noticed that I hadn't taken the 10x50s out for awhile. I picked them up. They felt very light. I thought perhaps I should take them out, but I didn't. I had become accustomed to the view of the larger binoculars.

Will the 12x60s replace the 10x50s?: Not totally. When I am out with my 10" dob I have a habit of replacing the finderscope with a green laser pointer, holding a pair of binoculars in my left hand, and using my right to bring the beam from the GLP to exactly the spot I am interested in. I can find nearly any spot in seconds. I will always keep a lighter pair of binoculars with their larger field of view for hunting with my dob. For other night viewing, I think I'll keep using the 12x60s.

Are the 12x60s better?: No, I don't think so. They are only different.

Note for those interested: I may get a tripod mount for it, but I don't know if I would use it. I enjoy just slipping out the back door, plopping down in a lawn chair or a lawn recliner and looking over the sky for about a half hour at a time. I can do that without a tripod and a tripod might add enough inconvenience that I wouldn't mess with it much. I always keep a small grab and go scope set on a cheap camera tripod that I can use for that.

Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well
Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well
by Billy Graham
Price: $13.28
316 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so grateful for this book., March 5, 2012
Billy Graham has been my hero for most of my life. His life as been an example of a life well lived. I remember a feeling of sadness when he retired from his crusade ministry. During the years I, also, have grown older. A few years ago I had to take an early retirement from pastoral ministry due to health issues. This book offers great encouragment to those who want to serve God, but can no longer do what they once did. It also offers a written testimony and behind the scenes look at a great Christian leader who is no longer in the public eye, as he once was. This book is "Classic Graham". The author doesn't add many new theological insights, which is part of the beauty of the book. As the evangelist enters his home stretch, he persists all the way to the end.

The Devil in Pew Number Seven
The Devil in Pew Number Seven
by Rebecca N. Alonzo
Price: $12.33
173 used & new from $1.15

5.0 out of 5 stars This book works partially because of the arresting writing style, January 9, 2012
First let me state that I don't give many books 5 stars. I reserve those, not for books I like, but for books that have the potential to stay in my memory and alter my world view. This is certainly such a book.

I'll let others restate the main themes and story line of the book. Those have been described well by other reviewers. I want to highlight the excellent writing team of Rebecca Nichols Alonzo and Bob DeMoss. Part of the reason this book works is because of the writing. When Alonzo describes her childhood memories it almost sounds like a child is writing the book. The vocabulary, verbage, perspective, etc. are all reminiscent of a child. By the time one gets to the theology near the end of the book, the writing style has changed to that of a full grown woman. It is only when reading the end notes that one realizes this is a well researched treatise that is so carefully documented that the author is protected against claims the story could have been exaggerated. The writing style becomes an almost unnoticeably subtle vehicle to escort the reader through the story.

This book will engage your imagination and challenge your character.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Nintendo Wii
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Nintendo Wii
Offered by SJVIDEO
Price: $93.99
40 used & new from $33.73

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY FROM EA!, December 8, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
EA virtually has a monoply on sports games. EA Sports games are great, but there is almost no customer support. My three grown children and I all live in different cities, spread out over two states. We regularly purchase EA games to play together over our Xbox. EA Games discontinued the server for their older games. They say on their web site that it was a difficult decision and that 99% of their customers play the new games, so they could no longer afford the maintenance to support the 1% of their customers who play the older games. That I understand, but they have already discontinued some of their 2011 games, even before the year is over. They are still selling games that they have already stopped the support on before the game is even purchased. What it boils down to is a subscription service for their games. You have to pay a monthly fee for the XBox, then you have to annually upgrade your games. If you play several different games and have four people in your family, that is a lot of money. If you do not intend to play EA games online, they are great games, but if you intend to play online with others, and cannot afford to replace your games each year, be warned. Tonight we learned that a couple of our newer games were just discontinued and as a family made the decision not to replace them anymore.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2012 8:23 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20