Profile for Dani J. Page > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dani J. Page "Dani J Page" RSS Feed (Orlando)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Libratone Zipp (Raspberry Red)
Libratone Zipp (Raspberry Red)
Price: $399.95
16 used & new from $366.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep in mind, it's a wireless battery powered omni-directional speaker: in other words it's amazing!, January 6, 2014
Overall, I love this little sucker. It's pretty loud. Loud enough that in a medium sized room (I'm not rich mind you so medium isn't huge) you have to turn it down to hear each other.

Setting up: done. Yeah, that easy. Plug your phone into it via USB and follow the prompts and done. It was so easy, a cave man could do it.

Sound quality: As the title says, keep in mind what this thing is. But after listening to several at the Apple Store and even being a huge fan of Bowers and Wilken's speakers, this sounds better. It has a good bass response and decent highs. If you're an audiophile, I'm sure you'd complain, but for us casual Joe's and Jane's out there . . . It's more than enough.

Reliability: I blame bright house. I have issues with their router period. When everything hasn't gone down, it works flawlessly. I move it around the house a lot, especially during parties and never have an issue. I especially love the direct connect for when I'm out and about with it such as at friend's houses or camping etc. Plus, you can always just plug a cable into it.

Battery life: it's a wireless device so I don't expect anything amazing, but I can get around 4 hours easily when playing from my phone remotely.

Overall: If you want AirPlay, then this is an awesome speaker. I love using my iPhone as a remote for my computer in the other room while I'm sitting on the back porch listening to my iTunes collection. Well worth the money, if you value the above.

Belkin 6-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with 2.5 feet Cord & Straight Plug
Belkin 6-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with 2.5 feet Cord & Straight Plug
Price: Click here to see our price
83 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a small, short, cheap surge protector, January 2, 2014
If anything happens, I'm sure I can update this later. Mostly hoping to prevent small surges, and frankly, I've read a lot of conflicting info on this topic. Since that's way over my hear for the time being, I'm just going to comment on the parts I an qualified to talk about.

It's a cheap plastic and very lightweight. Don't expect to beat anyone to death with this. The cord itself seems 2.5 feet, but honestly, I'm not about to measure it. I got it to be next to the outlet, and it does that. So perhaps it's 2.5 to the very end, but it's certainly short. If you think "short" might be too short, it probably is. But from the outlet to the ground plus some wiggle room you're golden.

It does have an on/off switch hidden on the top. No lights or anything to indicate it's on, so just plug something in to verify.

Oh, and it's not a right angle like the 8 foot. I got this one thinking it had a right angle power plug like the pictures . . . nope, it's straight. Thankfully it still fit (barely).

Switchcraft 236 Stereo TRS Right Angle Male 1/4-Inch Plug, Nickel Finish
Switchcraft 236 Stereo TRS Right Angle Male 1/4-Inch Plug, Nickel Finish
Price: $8.62
2 used & new from $2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure it's good, but not what I expected, January 2, 2014
I wasn't expecting an assembly. I got the impression from the description that this was a right angle adapter. Instead, it's the assembly so you can build your own cable.

Army of Darkness
Army of Darkness
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Boomstick! If you haven't watched it, then watch it so you finally can say you're cultured., December 2, 2013
If you haven't seen it, watch it. Cringe, chuckle, point out all the flaws and terrible acting, and best of all, when it's over, you and your friends/SO/family will be happy. How can you not enjoy such a terrible cult classic? Shop smart, shop S-Mart!

Wasabi Power Battery for Canon LP-E6 and Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da, EOS 70D
Offered by Blue Nook
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, just doesn't report battery life accurately., December 2, 2013
Don't expect any Canon camera to play nice with 3rd party batteries. As a rule, I don't use them in my camera. Why? Because as someone who knew better did, they put one of these in my camera while we were shooting. The camera said 25% remaining and then instant death. Ok, that's a little dramatic but given that the power cut and the last file wasn't saved (cut off during recording) I was pretty PO'd. I bought these to use with my SmallHD AC7 monitor and Atomos Ninja 2. On those, they work great. They last quite some time, and overall they've survived longer than most Chinese knock-off's.

Would I recommend them? Eh. If it's for something like a monitor sure. For your camera? No way. Losing a recording because the Smart Chip isn't quite dumb isn't worth it; ever! Since I get paid for my work, an extra $40 for an OEM is worth it. Then again, if I was just taking photos that might not be such a problem. Then again, is thinking "oh, I got battery life" and then the camera suddenly dying at that pivotal moment worth it? No? Buy OEM. Otherwise, this will worth.

For the record, I own 8 of these. All 8 behave the same.

Taylor Classic Cappuccino Frothing Dial Thermometer
Taylor Classic Cappuccino Frothing Dial Thermometer
Price: $7.34
9 used & new from $6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars The hottest temperature gauge around, December 2, 2013
It's a temp gauge. It tells you the temperature and then you do your thing. It works, and as far as I can tell, it's giving me the right temp. Just keep in mind that heat (energy) transfer is always delayed (much like high noon is not the hottest time of day) and this will effect the "real" temperature. I use it to make sure my water isn't going to scald my coffee (french press) and I make sure to pull the water off when it's under 170°. A few moments later and it'll rise to just over 170°.

Oh, and one cool thing, you can actually adjust the clip. My water pot and my milk frother are two different heights, so I can easily go back and forth. Added kudos' for that!

Litepanels Sola ENG Flight Kit
Litepanels Sola ENG Flight Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel lighting package around., December 2, 2013
When I first purchases this kit, I was a bit hesitant because of how small they are. To my surprise, they would extremely well, so long as you keep in mind that they are effectively 100watt equivalents. The best part, of course, is how small, compact and light they are. They are FAA carry on compliant (or at least, a lot cheaper to check on than an Arri kit.)

Remember, these are really just for interviews and maybe small product setups. They will not light up a room, or from a distance. In a dark room, I can easily get F/2.8 @ 640 (6dB) even when using the soft box while keeping these lights at a comfortable distance from the non-professional talent. So if you're doing a lot of run-n-gun interviews where you need to setup within minutes, break down just as fast and not worry about heat or burning yourself, these are amazing. On top of that, they can be battery powered. I can't tell you how handy that has been!

Now, of course, nothing is without a downside. In this case it's that LitePanels didn't really intend to make this kit. How do I know? Because they didn't bother to include a usable ball head. They took their existing kit and stuffed it in here. So instead, I bought some small ball heads and threw out the default ones. Now, instead of attaching a shoe mount adapter and then the shoe mount ball head, I just screw the light on. Plus, this also means I can keep the ball head attached to the stand while it's in the case. This has shaved off about 2 minutes of setup time and the potential for missing pieces.

Additionally, the power cable lengths are appalling. They must has figured you'd only be filming Smurfs (the blue kind, not the Breaking Bad kind). I had a friend who's an electrician show me how to make longer cables (so easy I felt embarrassed that I even had to ask) and can now run them 20' in addition to their default 4'.

So if you're looking for something light for travel and/or corporate work, this is a great little kit.

Rode Microphones MiCon-11 MiCon Connector for TRRS Devices and Smartphones
Rode Microphones MiCon-11 MiCon Connector for TRRS Devices and Smartphones
Offered by DVeStore - Digital Video Electronics Store
Price: $24.95
9 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do., December 2, 2013
What can you say about an adapter? Well, mostly that it works and this does. One of the reasons I love Rode mics are these adapters. I now have a TRRS, a TRS, a Sennheiser and a XLR adapter for my Rode Lavalier. I think my bases are covered. And like all the other adapters, it goes on easily, pretty well constructed and cost effective. Yeah, I know, people balk at the idea of paying money for an adapter like this, but as a working professional, this is cheap.

But frankly, if you're a working pro, then this is simply a backup item. A last minute ditch effort when all else fails. Or simply a novelty item. If you're just looking to get audio into your phone for small vanity/passion projects or for instance looking to record your lecture, then stick with the Rode SmartLav or something comparable. Why? Because frankly, the SmartLav is a much much cheaper alternative. If however, you already own a Rode Lavalier, then get this. It's just as effective and half the price.

Manfrotto MVH500AH Lightweight Fluid Video System with Bag (Black)
Manfrotto MVH500AH Lightweight Fluid Video System with Bag (Black)
Price: $439.95
4 used & new from $439.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be beat, unless you spend thousands more., December 2, 2013
One of the best lightweight tripod systems out there. Manfrotto always has a good quality product, while not the "best", it certainly is a contender for a lightweight, cost effective HDV/Indie tool. I love how comparatively lightweight these are, sturdy, and the tripod head is silky smooth.

I do with the arm was a little longer and that the locking clamps could be removed. The legs do a good enough job staying in place on their own so really there's no need for them.

Overall, a great little tripod for under $500.

Petrol Bags PC301 Deca Campack for Cameras- Black
Petrol Bags PC301 Deca Campack for Cameras- Black
Offered by Unique Photo, Inc.
Price: $129.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, but not without it's flaw., November 29, 2013
Overall, it's a good bag. Petrol makes a high quality product and this bag will last you a long long time. It'll probably even outlast the gear in the bag. I'm running with a JVC HM-600, which is a bit smaller compared to the Canon XF 300 and the new Sony's. For me, the bag is slightly big. For the XF 300 it's the perfect fit.

My biggest issues are the straps can be a pain for daily use. This really is a "let's go hike and film" kinda bag. The compression straps as well get in the way. It'd be nice if they could snap into each other and stay out of the way, but instead, when you're zipping the bag up you need to make sure you don't zip them up. Now, if you're actually backpacking with this, the straps are handy, but until then, they are a pain.

Additionally, it could come with one or two more dividers. I'm one short of how I'd like to split things up inside and am quite annoyed it only came with 2 dividers. For the size of this bag, at least 3 or 4 to give us users an option would have been smart.

Lastly, the laptop compartment, while nice, is poorly placed. It should be against the back, now the lid. If this truly was designed for backpacking, or carrying your bag with you for long walks, then the laptop needs to be closer to your back to better distribute the weight. Right now, when you take our your camera, A) the lid with your $2,000 laptop flops down and B) it causes it to "hang" rather than "sit" on your back. Not the smartest move IMHO. If that part was fixed, I'd give it 5 stars.

Also, the tripod attachment, or at least, where I've been putting my tripod, is on the side. This may work for short jaunts, but it seriously misbalances the bag.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4