Profile for Imperial Topaz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 190

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Imperial Topaz RSS Feed (Marrakesh, Morocco)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
St Patrick's Day-Meet the McDonough Family-they'll drive you to drink [VHS]
St Patrick's Day-Meet the McDonough Family-they'll drive you to drink [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pactert
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars An ADULT Film�NOT a FAMILY Film, April 2, 2004
This film is not for the average person. It is full of continuous conversation and small talk, so be sure you like this kind of film before you get it. That said, it is about an Irish-American extended family who gather together at one of the relative's houses to celebrate St. Patrick Day. The film displays some Irish customs in the way that My Big Fat Greek Wedding displays many Greek customs (the latter being a much better film). I bought this film hoping for it to be something good to watch as a family, with my young daughter. Fortunately, I previewed it alone before allowing my daughter to watch it (it's rated PG-13, and my daughter is 10). More than anything else, this film explores the sex lives of three-quarters of those at the family reunion, meaning from young adults through retired oldsters. They have done a good job of it, with some sensitive portrayals, marriage conflicts (that would be most appreciated by those married 15 years or longer), some good Irish music, and a few humorous moments thrown in. I don't feel it's an appropriate subject for watching as a family, except perhaps with older teenagers, or adult children. I bought this film, but it's not one I'm eager to watch again.

St. Patrick's Day
St. Patrick's Day
DVD ~ Piper Laurie
11 used & new from $4.93

3.0 out of 5 stars An ADULT Film: NOT a FAMILY Film, March 21, 2004
This review is from: St. Patrick's Day (DVD)

Black Hawk Down
Black Hawk Down
DVD ~ Josh Hartnett
Price: $5.00
774 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Violent War Movie About a True Battle in Mogadishu, Somalia, March 21, 2004
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (DVD)
My husband brought home this movie, and I watched it with him. It is an EXTREMELY violent war movie, but is the story of a true battle fought by American soldiers in Mogadishu, Somalia. Be sure you enjoy violent movies before getting this film, as there is almost two hours of straight violence. The battle starts with one soldier actually falling accidentally out of the helicopter, to the ground, instead of his shinnying down the helicopter rope to the ground, as the other soldiers do. As his comrades try to help get him evacuated, more soldiers get hurt. As others come to help them, even more get hurt. This was supposed to be a 45-minute operation, but turned into a 16-hour quagmire, and that is just what the movie feels like as you watch it. You cannot help but be impressed by the heroism of the soldiers, and of the general, who keeps insisting on "getting every last man out."

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars I�m Not Sure I Understand WHY Mel Gibson Made This Movie, March 21, 2004
When I first heard discussion of this film on TV, and heard how violent it was, I didn't think I'd be interested in seeing it. Then, I began hearing how controversial it was, being criticized by the Jewish Community, and sanctioned by the Vatican, among others. And everyone was discussing it. So I thought I better see it.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, as I had not read any reviews, or talked with anyone who had seen the movie yet, but I got both more, and less, than what I expected. The "less" was that I was subjected to the extreme horror of Christ's torture, but for NO PAYOFF in the end! The movie shows Christ tortured to death, and being put in his tomb, and then (...) The audience has to watch Christ being beaten to a pulp, and the horrors of his crucifiction, up-close, and in graphic detail. I was left with an empty feeling at the end, wondering exactly what was the point, and wondering why Mel Gibson made this movie. I have heard that his point was to show that ALL of mankind was responsible for Christ's death, but his movie did not get that point across to me.
The "more" of the movie was I enjoyed all the authenticity. Both my husband and I enjoyed listening to to the Latin and Aramaic. I had heard that Aramaic was in the same language family as both Arabic and Hebrew, and we were surprised to find that we could understand some words in the Aramaic language (we live in Morocco). I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of Pontious Pilate's character. I give Mel Gibson an A+++ for authenticity in every aspect of the movie. But unfortunately, both my husband and I entirely missed the whole point of the movie.
I had SO looked forward to seeing this movie, and discussing it with friends. But I'm afraid my first instincts were correct, about not being interested in seeing such a violent movie. It is NOT a movie that I will be recommending to my friends, after all. And under NO circumstances should children be subjected to this movie.

The Killing Bee (Jacob Burns Mysteries)
The Killing Bee (Jacob Burns Mysteries)
by Matthew Witten
20 used & new from $2.71

3.0 out of 5 stars I Suggest Trying Another Book by the Same Author, March 18, 2004
As a teacher, I really looked forward to reading this book about the murder of a high-school principal. The murder is investigated by a fiftish ex-hippie stay-at-home writer, who gets involved because of knowing the accused, who is a friend of his. He hopes to prove her innocence. The author seems to be trying to inject some humor and light-heartedness into the mystery by making his main character a rather bumbling investigator who gets himself into and out of some pretty serious scrapes. For me, this did not work very well in the book. I never bonded with the main character, and I never felt the book difficult to put down. It was a bit of a chore to finish. However, the book does pick up in the final third. In spite of my feelings about the book, I did consider it a worthwhile read, as the author definitely has some points to make about what he thinks of the current rage for standardized testing as the be-all and end-all. Because I found the book a bit slow, I was quite surprised to see at the end of the book that the author is an executive story editor for the TV series, "Law and Order." He seems to have also written three previous books about this main character, so this book must be the fourth in the series. So all I can surmise is that he must be a great author, and that this particular book is simply not one of his best.

Fault Line (St. Martin's Minotaur Mysteries)
Fault Line (St. Martin's Minotaur Mysteries)
by Sarah Andrews
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.85
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mystery Solved by a Forensic Geologist, March 18, 2004
This is the first Sarah Andrews mystery I've read, starring main character Em Hansen, Forensic Geologist. I loved it so much that I'm planning to go out and buy every book of Sarah Andrew's that I can get my hands on !
The book takes place in heavily faulted Salt Lake City. Geologist (and informal investigator-in-training) 35-year-old Em Hansen is shaken awake about 4 AM by an approximate 5.3-level earthquake. She gets caught up in the two murder investigations of a geologist and a reporter who are out to expose earthquake damage in public structures, but which developers want covered up. Furthermore, we are drawn far into the Mormon world, and society, of Salt Lake City. Along the way, we also learn a lot of interesting science and geology. If you enjoy science at all, you will LOVE this whole mystery series.
I absolutely loved the main character. She has a lot of interesting friends, and an interesting, but very realistic life. In addition to this mystery, this author has a lot to say about life (through what her characters are experiencing) and gives her readers a lot to chew on.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
by Barbara Ehrenreich
1675 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST Books I�ve Read, March 18, 2004
I thought this book was absolutely fantastic. I found it an easy, five-hour read of 221 pages. The negative reviews of this book, I believe, are coming from two sorts of people. First are those who wish the book to be something it is not. This book is NOT attempt to be a serious, sociological study. It is only what its author purports it to be-the experiences of ONE reporter, making three reasonable attempts, in three vastly different locales, to live at a minimally acceptable standard on the salaries offered in low-wage service positions.
Other criticisms of this book came from those who felt the author was a left-wing extremist, against the rich, advocating transfer payments from rich to poor. A few people ranted and raved, in their reviews, about what "solutions" she was advocating. I think these people didn't read very carefully. I did not find her advocating any solutions at ALL, only bringing up the dilemmas, and posing questions that we should ALL be posing. But to accuse the author of advocating things which she did not say, is akin to putting words in her mouth, by some people who literally feel threatened by anyone who asks the questions she poses!
The most overwhelming feeling I got from reading her book was of HOW RICH I AM (and I'm an American living in a third-world country)! Anyone who is feeling the least bit sorry for themselves in this life should read this book, and they will IMMEDIATELY feel better. Mainly, just having good food to eat every day, and being able to pay for medical, or dental, care whenever I need it is a true luxury that we all forget about, as well as having a comfortable roof over my head. We are all guilty of taking these things so much for granted, when we have them.
The most important conclusion the author draws in this book is that low-wage jobs are so far out-of-whack with the costs of housing, and that this is what is just killing people, and keeping them barely surviving. She shows how this situation has gotten worse in recent years. It is certainly true that most people in low-wage jobs are working two jobs to make ends meet. I know this from personal experience. My husband, a foreign immigrant to America for a time, worked in a hotel cleaning rooms. He was the ONLY person who did not go to a second job at the end of an 8-hour shift (as we fortunately didn't NEED him to do that). What this author, and most Americans, may not realize however, is that this is NOT just an AMERICAN problem. It is true that the more socialistic countries in Europe "distribute the wealth" to lower-income persons. But they are about the ONLY countries in the world that do (Canada may also). In MOST countries of the world, salaries are FAR out-of-whack with housing costs. And the disparity if FAR worse than in America. But there is one difference in America. America has a lot of laws making it illegal to have too many people living in an apartment, for example. You aren't allowed to have more people that two in an apartment for each bedroom. In third-world countries, these restrictions don't exist. So you could have ten people crowding into a one-bedroom apartment. And believe me, they sometimes do. It's the only way to make ends meet, for a lot of people. This is a problem that has been with us since the world began, and will continue. I don't have a solution. I am not rich. But I FELT SO RICH reading this book. This book will help any person to really freshly appreciate what they do have. I HIGHLY recommend it to EVERYONE.

Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love
Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love
by Dava Sobel
872 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Title: Galileo AND His Daughter, February 22, 2004
We read this book as the monthly selection in our bookclub. The book is very interesting, but definitely NOT a FAST read. Several people in our bookclub commented that they felt the book was too long, and not well-edited. Some people had read Longitude, by the same author, and said that it was a better book. Nevertheless, when we discussed what we would have taken out, every person had a different opinion. For each of the things that one person in the group didn't care for, another person in the group enjoyed. So I think it was fine.
Some people were disappointed that the book turned out to be more about Galileo than his daughter. But for me, I enjoyed that it was. I felt the last third of the book was the best. I learned a LOT from reading this book. Sobel brings the characters to life. I feel like I know Pope Urban now as a human being. I also know Galileo and his daughter both as human beings, just as if I had met all of these people in my current life. Some people in our group were not interested in the science presented in the book, but really enjoyed reading about all the herbal and plant remedies used during the Middle Ages. The herbal things didn't interest me, but I LOVED the science discussions presented in the book.
No matter WHAT your interest, this book is a slow, but very worthwhile read. It stimulated me to want to read much more on many of the subjects that were only touched on in the book.

Pressure Points
Pressure Points
by Larry Brooks
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-Exciting Office Thriller, February 5, 2004
Super-exciting office thriller about three partners, at odds, who are forced to go on a week-long seminar retreat together in a remote Oregon location. The characters are partners in an advertising agency. Brooks is uniquely qualified to write this book, having spent twenty-one years in advertising before becoming a writer.
I read the entire book in one day, finishing after midnight, just because I couldn't put the book down. The twist at the end was unexpected, and caught me completely by surprise. I plan to read more of Larry Brooks.

Tears of the Sun (Special Edition)
Tears of the Sun (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $9.70
596 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great War Movie for Both Men and Women, February 4, 2004
This is a war movie. It reminded me, in ways of some of the war movies of Vietnam, such as Casualties of War, except that it was far less violent. Rapes are hinted at, but not graphically shown. I was pleased not to be overwhelmed with bad language, as some films do. People are brutally killed, but not every graphic detail is shown. I thought it was appropriate in what it showed. A good war movie, but not out to super-shock the audience. This movie tries instead to entertain, and succeeds well. Both my husband and I really enjoyed the acting by Bruce Willis. The movie has plenty of action, but doesn't overdo it, concentrating on the drama of trying to rescue doctors and missionaries from a clinic. Instead, the main doctor won't leave without all her patients coming along. Bruce Willis tricks her by telling her they will take the patients, only to grab her, and leave the patients behind. He then changes his mind, against his commander's will, and he and his team are then on their own to try to walk everyone through the jungle to safety, showing all of their numerous difficulties along the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19