Profile for Mark Fellows > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 150

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Fellows "Gadget Guy" RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Smart Weigh TZ5000 Sleek Cuisine Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Scale 5000g X 1g, (Large Backlighted LCD Screen)
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars very accurate, wide ranging scale for such a small price, July 19, 2014
I find this scale to be pretty accurate for my needs. The only reason it looses a star, is because if you turn the scale on, and don't use it, it tends to drift a few grams. To measure very small weights, you need to turn it on, wait for it to say zero, and measure it right away. I am not certain that other scales do not have this problem.

Apparent build quality:

The scale is very light, yet seems to be pretty solidly built. It has a stainless steel plate on which to weigh your items on, and the UNIT and Power/Tare Button are neatly fit into the face besides the display.

Accuracy:

I do not own calibrated weights on which to test the scale against, so I used US coins. I found the weights on the US mint sight, and weight them. Although they probably aren't exact as they have been in circulation, possibly picking up dirt, or having some of the material rubbed off, they are as accurate as I could find.

I find the scale to be accurate generally within .5 grams in most cases.

Usefulness, and range:

I find the range to be phenomenal on this scale. Especially for one so cheap. One that will measure between a few grams to 11 pounds is pretty impressive.

Warranty:

A two year warranty on something like this that cost so little, and could possibly be abused is pretty impressive to me.

Recommendation:

If you choose to buy this scale, and want to measure heavy items(like 11 pounds), I recommend that you are careful to not slam the item down on the weight table. This is a plastic scale, I doubt it is a good idea to let something pound down on it with more than one G of force. For example, just a two G drop on 11 pounds weighs 22 pounds. Dropping something from just a few inches can easily give you 5 gs to 100s of gs or much more depending on the surface it lands on.

The point is, don't drop you weight on the table....

If you want to see this scale in action, and see how I determined this scale to be accurate, go to Youtube, and type in "the suburban hippie experimentalist", and look for the TZ5000 in my videos. It should be up within a few hours of this review..

Hope this helps!

Mark :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

350 QX BNF Firmware 2.0 with SAFE
350 QX BNF Firmware 2.0 with SAFE
Offered by MyQuickmart
Price: $419.99
12 used & new from $413.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it was intended to be, but sounds good on paper..., July 13, 2014
This review is for firmware 2.0. I already have a review of the 350 Qx on here. There I gave it 4 stars largely because of Blades great customer service..

I have since upgraded my 350 Qx with firmware 2.0. The only differences in my original 1.0 350 qx, and the version 2.0 would be a different placement of the GPS antenna. With the version 2.0, they moved the gps receiver and antena to the right back arm in order to attempt to get it away from the interference.

A little background:

My original 350 Qx flew fine after I replaced the noisy motors, WITH THE EXCEPTION that it did not acquire GPS with the Mobius camera I was using. When I tried, the quad would always take a long time to acquire GPS, and ultimately, it would loose some control, so I would have to bring it down for a hard landing.

I had to come in sideways once, and the quad struck hard as it was flying from the left, and rolled several times, making my camera fly off, and bending the attachment hardware.

Months of experimenting, and moding:

It took me quite some trial an error to get the mobius shielded from the GPS antenna and reciever, but I at last did it!

After upgrade to 2.0:

Then I was enticed to upgrade to 2.0 because of how useful the AP mode seemed on paper...

Unfortunetely, it does not work quite like advertised.

In AP mode, the design is that you must take the throttle up to at least 75% to raise the quad, and everything below 50% lowers the altitude. Everything in the middle on the left stick, is supposed to keep the quad at your set altitude.

However, it doesn't quite work.

After you set a height in AP mode, and fly forward, the quad quickly loosed height. You can't reasonably feather the throttle like you can in stability mode either.

Also, with version 2.0 sometimes the throttle cut doesn't work the first time I push it, which is troubleing for me. I want the ability to ditch the craft if it tries to fly away, or over people, but now throttle cut is unresponisive.

The other issue is that the start up procedure doesn't always work well either.

The throttle cut, and start up worked perfectly before upgrading teh firmware.

I will be anxiously awaiting firmware 3.0!

I have some videos I made with the quad on youtube at my "mark daniel imaging" channel.

Hope this helps!

Mark

MeasuPro TF5000 Instant Read Waterproof IPX7 Thermocouple Digital Thermometer with Wide Range and Large LCD Display
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, accurate thermometer that is the finest meat thermometer we have ever had, July 11, 2014
We have had several meat thermometers over the years, and none of them even come close to the TF5000.

It would normally be hard for me to get excited about a meat thermometer, but this one is pretty advanced.

Upon receiving it, I immediately checked it for accuracy, and found it to be right on.

To check accuracy:

A. First I put a bunch of crushed ice in a glass of water, and measured the temperature. I got a measurement of 32.5 degrees almost instantly.

B. I then boiled a pot of water, and measured the center to be 212.3. Again almost instantly.

Speed of Measurement:
The package says it has a 6 second response time, but I find it to be almost instantaneous. All my other thermometers took forever to read the meat. Long enough that my hands start to feel uncomfortable from the heat...

Accuracy of device:
Judging by my experiment, I find this device to be right on.

Calibration button:
The fact that it even has a calibration button is impressive to me. I have never owned a thermometer that you could do this with. To do this, you crush ice, and put it in water. You stick the thermo in the ice water, and hold the cal button for 2 seconds. It will read 0.0 C, which is the freezing point. You have just calibrated your thermometer.

Max/Min button:
The max and min button tell you your extremes. I can't currently think of a use for this, but perhaps real chefs can.

Auto Power Off:
None of our other thermometers have had this feature either, and I always end up leaving them powered on laying on the countertop, draining the batteries.

Reliability:
I haven't had this long, so I can't really comment on that, but I can say the device has a nice solid feel, and seems to be made well.

I hope this has helped you in your shopping!

Mark:)

SPM Neck Strap
SPM Neck Strap
Offered by Aidleyco Baby
Price: $15.73
15 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Areal filming!, July 8, 2014
This review is from: SPM Neck Strap (Toy)
Well it keeps me from dropping my remote, while I am trying to concentrate on the task of keeping my expensive quadcopter in the air and filming!

Wood No Soliciting Sign-orange and yellow butterfly
Wood No Soliciting Sign-orange and yellow butterfly
Offered by All About Signs 2
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice classy touch. Maybe could be a tad bigger, but seems to work!, July 8, 2014
I like the look of this little thing, and it SEEMS to work... Haven't had any annoying door to door salesman so far, and if they come, I will just yell out the door, "READ THE DAMN SIGN!"...

Kinesthesia
Kinesthesia
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is Dante's best album! I love Flageolet, July 8, 2014
This review is from: Kinesthesia (MP3 Music)
I think this is Dante's best album! I love Flageolet! I think that song is equivelent to Well Hang, but with much better sound quality! I think Dante is back on his game, with his fast moving hands, and sense of rythm, and melody!

Du-Bro 499 Tru-Spin Prop Balancer
Du-Bro 499 Tru-Spin Prop Balancer
Offered by Aidleyco Baby
Price: $28.26
12 used & new from $26.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the rest, July 8, 2014
This balancer is about 10 times the quality of the 20 dollar Txp xlight, Magnetic balancer, yet not 10 times the price.

The balancer with the Magnets, that celephane needs to be glued to is rather cheesy... I used, it over a few months and after long sessions of use, I got DECENT balance props that yeilded non jello video, but the Du-bro takes about 1/4 of the time, and works better.

With the cheap magnetic balancer, the cups, and shaft are out of balance from the start, making it nearly impossible to balance your props. Not to mention the shaft is bent, and if it isn't already it will be, as you have to stuff it into the grooves in the case/balancer arms, and if you aren't careful each and every time you pull out the balancing shaft, you can easily bend it. Just a very tiny bend is enough to make it so you cant balance these lightweight plastic props.

In case it isn't apparant by the picture, it has to metal wheels in each rest that mesh together and spin to prevent friction so that any weight will make it spin

So, yes, I took props that I had previously balanced on the magnetic balancer by a well known brand, and found them out of balance, and had to re-balance them.

Hope this helps! I definitly am glad I bought it! I wish I had chose this brand first!

Mark
The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist
Mark Daniel imaging

UPG 85980/D5722 Sealed Lead Acid Battery (12V; 35 AH; UB12350)
UPG 85980/D5722 Sealed Lead Acid Battery (12V; 35 AH; UB12350)
Price: $66.27
43 used & new from $59.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I find this battery to be excellent., April 23, 2014
The carrying handle is different than shown. Better! It was thick plastic, and lays flat. The battery holds a charge well in my teardrop camper, and provides plenty of power.

2 inch x 55 yds Copper Foil Tape - 1 Mil (50mm x 50m) - EMI Shielding Conductive Adhesive
Offered by Lucent Path
Price: $56.95
2 used & new from $55.95

4.0 out of 5 stars This tape is thinner than I am used to, but adheres and should work very well., April 23, 2014
I have used copper tape professionally for years. Of course the tape I have used in the past was much thicker, and I used to cut my fingers with it quite often.

This has a conductive adhesive, and sticks well. I am using it to shield my gps system from EMI from a video camera.

To determine what the absolute largest hole you can have in the item you are trying to shield, first determine the wavelength of the radio signal you are trying to shield against.

Velocity/Frequency=wavelength.

So since radio waves travel at the speed of light, take 300,000,000 meters and divide by frequency, say 1.5ghz, and you get a wavelength of 20 centimeters.

300,000,000/1.5ghz=.200

.200 is 200mm=20cm

1/2 wavelength is 10cm, 1/4 wavelenght is 5cm.

I have read that you want to make your smallest opening 1/10th wave, but that doesn't make sense to me. I am making sure mine is sealed to smaller than 1/4 wavelenght.

Genuine Kia Accessories 3W012-ADU00 Cargo Tray for Kia Sportage
Genuine Kia Accessories 3W012-ADU00 Cargo Tray for Kia Sportage
Offered by mykiaparts
Price: $54.00
7 used & new from $53.60

5.0 out of 5 stars This rubberized tray is a perfect fit!, April 23, 2014
The tray also has no smell what so ever, fits perfectly, and should be very useful for keeping dirt out of the carpet in the back of my Sportage. I am glad I bought it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15