Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now bgg
Profile for The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist > Reviews

The Suburban Hip...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 215

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist "Gadget Guy" RSS Feed (Westminster, MD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leatherman Tread Bracelet, The Travel Friendly Wearable Multi-Tool, Stainless Steel
Offered by NetRush
Price: $164.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited usefulness for the price, November 29, 2015
This is a great idea, but it doesn't work as well in execution. I am a tool person. meaning I have used real tools since I was 13 year old to do brake jobs and such.

I have also carried a Leatherman multi tool of one style or the other for over 20 years in my pocket, every day. First the PST, then the Pulse, the Charge XT, and the new Wave.

I bought this as a SUPPLIMENT to the Leatherman I carry in my pocket, as it has hex bits. Not as a multi tool in its own right.

The good:
The tool is rugged, made of high quality materials, is well crafted, and most people think it is great looking. It is easy to reconfigure for your size by taking out the links you don't think will be useful to you. The hex bits, and Phillips bits are well made.

The bad:
A. This bracelet costs more than it is worth in usefulness. Every bit is angled down in the hopes they won't snag on the inside of your coat sleeves, but as I said, they still catch sometimes. The aggressive angle make the flat bits useless. They will pop out of the screws you are trying to tighten or loosen and you won't be able to put any torque on the screws at all.

B. I find the "sim car pick" useless as most people aren't going to be extracting sim cards out of their phones on a regular basis.

C. The carbide glass breaker is neat to have, but how much are you actually going to use this?

D. An oxygen wrench? Who is going to use that enough that they need to carry this on their wrist?

E. The flat bits are useless, and tend to snag on the inside of your jacket coat.

As a tool person that does not normally wear jewelry, I find this has limited usefulness, and for me, isn't worth the asking price. I would like this more if it has Torx bits on it, instead of the flats. Even though the bits are angled, Phillips, hex, and square bits have enough bite to work, even with the aggressive angle.

If you want to see the video review type "the suburban hippie experimentalist" into google, and look for my video review of my Leatherman tread.

hope this helps!

Close to Home: Includes Scarborough Fair, Shenandoah, All Through the Night, Red River Valley, The Water is Wide, Simple Gifts, She Moved Through the Fair, Spancil Hill, Relaxing Music, Soft Music
Price: $9.98
16 used & new from $4.48

4.0 out of 5 stars She has a beautiful voice!, November 27, 2015
Let me start by saying I am not a musician, but a bit of an audiophile.

This singer has a beautiful voice, however I think her voice track is a bit low in compared to the music. Meaning, I can't really understand what she is saying.

The music production is well done, with the exception that I think her voice track could be enhanced a little. It is more of a background, and that might be what this genre of music is, but I think I would personally like it more if I could understand some of the words!

I really like track # 2, but I find most of the songs sad. They are less uplifting than I would like. Perhaps it is the key that is used on the piano which conveys a sad mood.

I think this would be a very good soundtrack for a nice tear jerker movie, but listening to it as it is might not be the thing I particularly want to do. That is with the exception of track 2 which I really like.

Overall it is great quality music, with great instrumentals, and as I said, with beautiful angelic vocals.

The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist

Rotor DR1
Rotor DR1
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars WOW was I silly to pay to watch this!, November 11, 2015
This review is from: Rotor DR1 (Amazon Instant Video)
WOW was I silly to pay to watch this!

Only had a few reviews on Amazon, but then I saw the IMDb rating, and thought, it must not be that bad.

This movie is terrible. If I were watching it for free, or at an extreme reduced rate I might not be so irritated that I rented this for the same price as real block buster films released from Hollywood .

It is so bad, that after paying for it, I am not interested in continuing to watch this. Even though I wasted a considerable amount of money on it.

They are in a post apocalyptic world, and the main charcter has been living in this world for years, yet has no street smarts at all. There is this scene were to thugs are picking on this kid, and he just stands out in the open, stupidly gawking at the scene.

He walks around like he is totally unaware of his surroundings. In a world like that, the kid wouldn't last a second.

Second scene that is irritating. The kids are walking through the city. They see a house, and just leave their stuff at the open doorway. Surprise surprise some other desperate people steal it. Even in today's world if your kid left the door open, or just left their stuff unsecured in your suburbs, you would have a stern word for them.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this one!

MeasuPro OX250 Instant Read Digital Pulse Oximeter with Alarm Setting, Color OLED Display and Carry Case, CE, FDA Approved
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is amazing what the technology spike allows us to do these days, November 11, 2015
I received a discount on this device for review.

Unfortunately over my life time, I have had one of these on my finger quite a few times in the hospital. Of course those were attached to a cord that went into the central monitor...

My mom also had one of these at home as she had emphysema. The one she had was a large box, that cost the insurance company a lot of money!

It is really cool to have one of these that is battery operated available for people with disease like perhaps asthma, or emphysema at such a low cost.

The included manual states that accuracy is 1%,I am assuming that means plus or minus one percent, which is pretty good. However, to really test accuracy it has to be tested against a known hospital monitor.

I am not a medical professional, so I am going to give this device to a friend that is a current RN going to school, and in rounds to be a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner(CRNP), and have her evaluate it and get back to me. I WILL UPDATE THIS REVIEW AFTER THAT HAPPENS.

What I really like about this:
A. The device works from standard AAA batteries, which are easy to find, and easy to change.
B. The device has a quality display with an easy to read 02 level, as well as pulse rate.
C. It is light weight and not cumbersome.
D. It has a full 2 year warranty
E. It comes with a neat little carrying case, and a lanyard for around your neck

What I don't like:

Really nothing considering the price. The plastic has a cheap feel, but what would one expect for the current price. If you expect more, I think you are delusional.

What this reads:
The display reads your 02 level, Your pulse rate, and you PI%(Your perfussion index, how strong your heart beat is)
Your Dr will tell you what normal is, or you can Google it....

In conclusion I think this would make a good reference tool for those who have respiratory issues. Something that is helpful, yet won't drain their expense account. For a person without those issues, it would just be a novelty.

That is largely why I am not only giving it to my friend to evaluate, but also giving it to her permanently to use in her practice on her patients.

Thanks for reading. I hope this review helps!

If you want to see this device in action, watch the below video to see what it looks like...

As I said, this review will be updated with her comments, but I don't expect a change. This is a well constructed, useful device.

Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly a great movie, November 4, 2015
This review is from: Spy (Amazon Instant Video)
I grew up watching James Bond films. I thought the Bourne Identity was a revival of the spy movie, so I am a serious action adventure fan. Comedy is also probably my least favorite genre. However, I loved this movie.

To my great surprise, this film actually delivered. It is both really funny, and there are actually great action scenes, with smart comedy intermixed.

I just loved the scenes were Melissa McCarthy played the tough body guard. She was spot on, and her timing and mannerisms were perfect!

I think this probably has to be one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a long, long time...

It is sort of a silly comedy/action flick hybrid that ultimately is worth the watch!

Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler
Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler
Offered by Go Fast Ventures
Price: $39.60
15 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This works fantastically on my 2015, 13 foot Scamp., October 25, 2015
This review is from: Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler
The scamp is pretty low the ground, so we won't just be "driving off" as I think the leveler would kick up, and damage the fiberglass skirts. However, we just place it in front of the tire. Pull the trailer up onto to the level we want, and put the other wedge under it.

The device is simple, light, feels very durable, and couldn't be easier and quicker in function

When we want to brake camp, we just give the trailer a slight tug to relieve the pressure on the smaller wedge, pull the smaller wedge out, and back the trailer off of it. It just couldn't be easier! I am glad I bought it!

I show how this process works in the below video.

Camco 37463 3-Way By-Pass Valve Replacement
Camco 37463 3-Way By-Pass Valve Replacement
Price: $9.12
34 used & new from $9.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, October 25, 2015
Much has been said about how this valve restricts flow. The orifice does shrink down to about half the inner diameter of the threaded part, but it really doesn't matter in a lot of cases...

Why you might ask?

Because if you polyethylene tubing in your rv like me, the fittings you already have restrict water flow. There is a similar change in inside diameter in the fittings that fit in the poly tubing. For example, the 90 degree fittings. So putting this valve in effects nothing.

Even knowing this, I tested the water flow from the fresh water pump with, and without this. There was no change in flow rate, how the pump operates, or if the pump gets hot.

I tested this by putting a 3 gallon bucket in the sink and filling it up continuously with, and without the valve in place.

No change what so ever, and now I can efficiently winterize my camper without filling the large fresh water reservoir up with antifreeze...

Even if it did restrict water flow a little in my case, the only case I could think of were it would matter would not be flushing the toilet, or washing dishes, but maybe taking a shower.

However, as I said, I tested it, and there didn't seem to be a difference either way.

Hope this helps!

Leatherman 830039 Wave Multitool with Leather/Nylon Combination Sheath, Silver
Leatherman 830039 Wave Multitool with Leather/Nylon Combination Sheath, Silver
Offered by Robert`s Fojjer
Price: $79.59
56 used & new from $79.42

3.0 out of 5 stars I have carried a leatherman of one style or another for 20 years, so I have earned the right to critically review them., October 16, 2015
I hate to have to add a disclaimer like this, but as the title says, I have a lot of experience with Leatherman tools, so I am qualified to talk about them critically. I started with the leatherman PST, then I had the Leatherman Pulse, then the Charge XT, I have twisted a bit or two on the XT, and not even batted an eye.

The above means I am qualified to be critical of them. So, please be an adult and don't rate this review unhelpful just because you may not agree with what I am about to say...

Having said all that I am dissapointed with the Leatherman Wave I bought when I lost my 10 year old Charge, XT for a few weeks.My sole disappointment is with the pliers. They are way too stiff. A tool should work well right from the start. Especially a 90 dollar tool!There should be no need to massage it to loosen it up like I have read on the multi tool forums.

Needing to take the time to oil the joint to make the joint run clear while working the pliers while you watch TV is ridiculous! I didn't need to do something so silly with the PST, the Wave, nor the Charge XT. The joints on the PST, Pulse and the XT have always been the same. Just right, with no sloppiness either.

This stiff pliers problem is very common in today's leathermans. Just type in "fixing stiff leatherman pliers" in Google, and you will pull up lots of threads from lots of different people about this very same problem.

Very Critical review of current Leatherman customer service:
I was watching this video on youtube about a person's Leatherman Rebar that had stiff pliers also. His were stiff, and when he squeezed the plier heads together, they would lock up.

He wrote Leatherman customer service. Leathermans response to paraphrase was" that no one ever squeezes the empty pliers together like that without anything in it, so don't do that".... Google it.

The first Wave I bought had the same issue. I tested it. It did it not just while squeezing the empty pliers together, but also if you try to squeeze a bolt head, or nut, or anything metal you are trying to grip! I tested them in various situations!

I suspect there is either something missing from the current manufacturing process making the pliers, or the quality control of the dies to press out the pliers are out of spec, or perhaps when they squeeze the riviet together to join the two halves, there is uneven pressure being added, so the rivet is out of round.

I REALLY hate to say this, but I think Leathermans are starting not to be worth the premium price... That stinks because there is nothing else I would like to buy.

Don't compare leathermans to Gerber, or any other MT, compare them to previous leatherman tools, as leathermans have always been in a class by themselves.

Nothing lasts forever, but the price of the leatherman's are going up, but not the quality. It is too bad!

Yes the wave is great as far as how many tools it fits in the chassis, but the reason I carry a multi tool over a Swiss Army knife is that I find the pliers very useful. For a person like me, constantly working on cars, and stripping electronic wires it is necessary to have a good multi tool with pliers.

I still have my Charge XT, so the quality of that was excellent. I had to replace a bit or two over the years, but the tool is excellent! The Wave has some issues from the start. It is a bit of a dissapointment. I may live with it, but it more of a resegnation to deal with it, rather than being satisfied.

I am afraid I will think twice about buying another Leatherman. That is too bad, because I was going to buy the tread to supplement the tool so I didn't have to carry around the Allen and Torx bits!

Energizer Vision HD LED Headlamp (Batteries Included)
Energizer Vision HD LED Headlamp (Batteries Included)
Price: $14.98
7 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I have lots of experience with headlamps, October 15, 2015
We have been camping for years, and our preferred method of lighting is headlamps. We have experience with Petzl, Black Diamond and some others.

I also have experience with a few previous Energizer headlamps.

From the moment they started putting these out on the shelves it was exciting to see a headlamp for so little cost. I didn't expect much from such a cheap headlamp, but to my surprise the 7 LED models were very usable, and functional. They had a very good red LED setting as well. It was also housed in a very well designed and built water resistant case with a rubber gasket. Very surprising!

For the price of the 7 LED, I could afford to have several, which has saved me while tent camping a few times when I forgot to put in fresh batteries on the one I was wearing.

Over the years, I have watched the quality of the housing go way down(very cheap feeling, without the water proofing gasket, and the latch system for the back door isn't near as good as the original. However, the quality of the light has actually improved without an increase in price.

This 150 lumen headlamp puts out a LOT of light for the price, and also has very good collimation (distance). It is much better than the 7 LED models I have.

I will use this model around the house, as I have put my other 2 in my camper, and lost one of my others...

You can easily see things 50 feet away, which is more than enough to use while camping. While around the campsite, and walking too and from the bathroom, this little guy will give you plenty of light. Sure there are headlamps with better long distance light beams, but not for 15 dollars!

One added feature over older Energizer headlamps:
They now all have the dimming feature which is useful to let you see what you want, without blinding others.

What is this model missing?
It has no red LED mode, so for camping, that will be sorely missed.

My wife's Black Diamond, Storm headlamp will surely outshine it, but this lamp is 15 dollars, while my wife's Storm is 50.00. So when she can't remember where she put hers, I give her one of mine.

At this price, it will be great for around the house. For camping, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 200, and 250 Lumen models which also have red LED modes, based on how well this 150 Lumen model works!

Overall, great for the price. It looses a star for the cheap casing.

Marathon Industries 00265 Universal Fit Flat Free Wheelbarrow Tire with Spacer/Bushing Kit Included
Price: $35.86
30 used & new from $30.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Skinnier than the 4-6.00 tire that was on the wheel barrow, and the provided spacers weren't enough, October 4, 2015
I bought mine at HD because I didn't know which ones would work for me...

First things first, this tire is more narrow than the original tire which I do not like. It is also 14.5 inch diameter where as the older pneumatic tire was 12"

Second, the provided spacers did not work, even when I stacked them all up. So I had to use the original spacers and cut them down with hand wood saw.

I will be back this week to update this review..

My hub width on my wheel barrow is 8 inches. I don't know what model it is, but I got it at True Value hardware, I think...

Okay, I used this tire on the wheel barrow to haul lbs loads of wood pellets and it worked better than I expected...

Since the wheel is more narrow, the flotation isn't as good through gravel, but it is still manageable.

On hard surfaces like concrete, it is significantly better.

I would say stars through gravel, and 5 stars on concrete.

I don't regret this purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20