Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist > Reviews

Browse

The Suburban Hip...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 234

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist "Gadget Guy" RSS Feed (Westminster, MD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Base Shield V2
Base Shield V2
Offered by Robot Mesh
Price: $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been using this on my Arduino air quality sensor for about a year without issues, January 31, 2016
This review is from: Base Shield V2
This expansion shield is really nice. It makes an Arduino project much better, with better connections. For my next project I will be ordering another one for sure!

Gear Aid Tenacious Tape for Fabric Repair, Clear
Gear Aid Tenacious Tape for Fabric Repair, Clear
Price: $3.91
66 used & new from $3.62

4.0 out of 5 stars I used this to patch a brand new Patagonia Jacket that got a hole in it within 2 days, January 31, 2016
4 stars is based on how it looks on my jacket. It probably deserves 5 stars for ease of use, and how well it works, but after all, it does look like a piece of clear tape on my coat.

Tenacious tape is a brand that everyone uses for various things. It makes a great impromptu patch for light weight down sweaters and heavy weight down coats.

I put a small circle on my coat, and we will see when it comes off. I plan on washing the coat at the end of the season, so when I do, I will come back and update this review with how it turned out.

Yes4All Special Sales: Tricep V Shaped Press Down Bar/Closed Handle Cable Attachments (A-Double Row Chrome)
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this for doing T-Bar Rows and it is great, January 31, 2016
This V shaped handle is the same quality I am used to in the clubs. It is the same as I have seen for over 20 years. It is very inexpensive and works the same as others I have used.

I am very satisfied with this purchase

H.D. Landmine Sleeve Bracket Core Crossfit T Bar Row Post
H.D. Landmine Sleeve Bracket Core Crossfit T Bar Row Post

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price!, January 31, 2016
It works fine. The 4 star review vs a 5 star review is because it is shown to be crome, but it is really flat black. I have used this several times and it works as it should. Other, more expensive brands have a deeper shaft that is designed to go into 2 45 plates that will keep it from sliding around.

This model goes into just one, so it will slide on you. I usually push the 45 pound plate it is inserted into against the wall to keep it from sliding around.

My 4 star review is based on price. I am sure the more expensive one works better without sliding, but for the price, this is great!

Polsen OLM-10 Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
Polsen OLM-10 Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
Offered by M Z Photo
Price: $25.94
4 used & new from $22.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me, January 31, 2016
I have used this plugged into my Canon EOS M camera for youtube videos, and the audio is really much better than with the on camera mics. I have noticed no hiss or pop that others have complained about..

Valeo 4-Inch VLP Performance Low Profile Belt (Small)
Valeo 4-Inch VLP Performance Low Profile Belt (Small)
Price: $17.97
16 used & new from $11.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to people talking about the sizes are too small!, January 30, 2016
Listen, don't go by what size pants you wear. Measure the circumference of your belly. Vanity doesn't play a part in fitness safety equipment...

My experience:

Not that I am an expert but I had power lifted and weight trained 3 times per week from the time I was 15 until 18, and then 4 times per week with a split workout from 18 to 35, and have worn plenty of weight belts in my days....

The fittest I was was at 20 years old I was 5'10" ,190 lbs and 8 percent body fat. I took 9 years off starting at age 35 because I have other genetic health issues and wanted to see if my health was better without the aggravation of power lifting.

It was not....

Recently I restarted back up again when I realized my health wasn't as good as it had been.
About the belt:

This belt is much wider than the one you wear with your pants, which means despite it saying it is a "Low rise" it will ride higher than your pants belt. Which means your "beer belly" for lack of better words comes into play.

Measure the circumference around your belly to see what size belt you need.

I ordered a large despite what the sizing chart said based on the many review that said it was too small.

It is not. So the large was TOO large, and I had to order another one.

For me, the pants I wear are 34" and when I measure my belly it is 36" and I am telling you a large is TOO large for me, and the medium I just ordered should fit perfectly.

I should have went with my gut instinct o this, but crowd mentality got me!

I thought about sending it back, but it will probably cost me 5 dollars of a 15 dollar belt, so I am not sure it is worth it...

La Cafetiere Le Teapot 4-Cup Tea Infuser (Stainless Steel)
La Cafetiere Le Teapot 4-Cup Tea Infuser (Stainless Steel)
Offered by biddeal_co
Price: $43.95
6 used & new from $22.82

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, well made glass teapot., January 19, 2016
I love this little tea pot. I bought this recently at Bed Bath and Beyond for a some dinner guests that were coming up.

How well is this made?
This is a glass and and stainless steel teapot that has a very sturdy and well made handle. The strainer, and the cone on the inside are very thin stainless steel, but I do not see it as problem.

The lid is stainless steel of a suitable gauge steel. Over I would say the glass is just thick and strong enough to handle the heat of boiling water, but not overly thick. You certainly can't bash this around in your cupboard.

How well does it work?
I would say very well. I would have liked to see the cone on the inside a little more shallow, so I could fill it up with just a little more hot water so I could get more hot tea for my guests.

The strainer works will, and the cone that surrounds it makes it so you can just clumsily scoop the tea in and it and it will funnel down into the strainer.

Then after a few minutes, you just poor the tea.

Cleaning:
The cleaning is easy, as the strainer, cone and lid all come off easily, so you can get in there with a sponge if you wish to.

THIS TEA POT IS NOT MADE TO BE PUT ON A HOT BURNER ON THE STOVE!

Summary:

I really like it and my guests also thought it was cool. There isn't too much more I can say about it. It is made well, with fine workmanship, works well, and looks great! I would buy this one again!

Schefs Premium Tea Infuser - Stainless Steel - Tea Filter - Perfect Strainer for Loose Leaf Tea

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay. There are no serious flaws., January 19, 2016
This works, but it is a little too large, and kind of flimsy. I am comparing this to my other strainer which is sold by Teavana

This compared to my Teavana strainer:
This strainer is a little too large, and is rather thin and flimsy feeling. It works okay, but I am afraid it could be crushed pretty easily. The teavana brand is much more rugged, and has a little silicon cup that can either be used to set the strainer in after you pull it out of your tea mug so you don't get your table wet, or that you can put on top of the strainer if you want to keep your used loose leaf to to resteep later.

Also, after straining some tea, I get some fines in the bottom of my glass, which had been fairly non existent in the Teavana strainer.

What this does better than the Teavana strainer:
Those two stainless steel braces you see in the picture fold down, which is very handy.

Teavana has terrible customer service in my opinion. I wrote them weeks ago on a unrelated issue, and they haven't gotten back to me. On the other hand, This company seems to have GREAT customer support as they actually contacted me to tell me they shipped the item and would be following up in a few days to see how I like the strainer!

Summary:
I don't regret my purchase of this 12 dollar item. it will work fine for work, but the other strainer I have is much more more useful. I will do business with this company again though as I REALLY appreciate and respect good customer service!

Breville USA BKE595XL The Crystal Clear Electric Kettle
Breville USA BKE595XL The Crystal Clear Electric Kettle
Price: $99.95
30 used & new from $79.96

3.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful appliance with one flaw., January 19, 2016
I have this electric kettle along with a 40 dollar Hamilton Beach. This model functions well is well designed for what it is, but I pick the Hamilton Beach over this one. Read on to find out why.

Build quality of product:
This is a very nice looking kettle that has a very high quality feel and look. It is made of German Schott glass apparantly, and highly polished stainless steel on the inside of the boiling chamber. Everything about it screams "quality"

Function of the kettle:
This kettle boils water quickly, pours well without dribbles, and has nice sturdy handle. It all works like a charm.

So why am I only giving this 3 stars?
Well the problem is, since they made a nice fancy glass kettle that is easy to see how much water is in it, how clear your water is, and when it boils, they had to seal the seam between the schott glass material and the bottom which is stainless steal. To do that they only had one choice, which was to use a silicon, or some time of rubber gasket.

Boiling water touches the gasket and the gasket leaches out SOMETHING. I am not sure what that something is, but it effects both taste and smell of the boiled water.

Yes, but doesn't it say it is BPA free?
Sure it does, and I am certain it is, but see BPA free is just what is in vogue right now. Something being BPA free in NO WAY means that the gasket it not leaching out something harmful into your drinking water. BPA is just what they have done studies on. That doesn't mean there aren't other harmful chemicals that have no related studies.

I don't know that anything that leaches out of the gasket into the water IS in fact harmful, but I don't know that it isn't either. I would personally rather not take the chance. I had spend some considerable time finding out how to make coffee without my hot coffee running by plastic parts in an automatic drip coffee maker. See plastic has to have chemicals added to it so it doesn't melt when exposed to heat...

That being said, I will continue to use the Breville as my wife bought it for me. I just will fill it up with fresh water right before I boil the water. My other electric kettle, the Hamilton Beach is going to work with me. I'm not going to live forever, so i am just not going to worry about it too much...

Summary:
I do like it, but don't like wondering what the gasket puts in my water.

P.S when I got this I could smell and taste something, but didn't know what it was, or if it was just the water. It wasn't until I just got the Hamilton Beach that I also reviewed that I was sure of what other people said that the gasket was leaching something into the water...

Hamilton Beach 40898 Cool-Touch 8-Cup Cordless Electric Kettle
Hamilton Beach 40898 Cool-Touch 8-Cup Cordless Electric Kettle
Offered by VMInnovations
Price: $38.99
37 used & new from $18.03

4.0 out of 5 stars I can not talk about durability at this point, but I can tell you this device is ALMOST plastic free!, January 19, 2016
This is a cool electric kettle. It is a dual walled stainless steel container with a plastic lid with a strainer.

How much plastic does your water come into contact with?
You can easily make this so that your drinking water touches NO plastic what so ever. The inside of the kettle is one continuous stainless steel container, the only plastic inside the heating chamber is the underside of the lid, and the scale strainer. So that as you poor the liquid it rushes past the scale strainer and into your cup.

However, if you wish to have NO plastic touching your water, you can simply push the button on the handle before pouring the hot water, and it will lift the plastic strainer out of the way. YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO POOR TOO FAST, OR YOU WILL SPILL HOT LIQUID ALL OVER THE PLACE WITHOUT THE LID!.

This way though, no plastic will touch your drinking water, which is what I prefer!

Is this REALLY cool to the touch?
More like very slighly above room temperature mildly warm. However for all intents and purposes I will say, yes, it is cool to the touch. After all, it does have boiling water inside of it....

What is my impression on how well this is made?
The kettle itself is made VERY well. It is fairly well designed, and is solidly built. The base however is very light weight an flimsy felling. Not really a problem though as you can consider this basically a fitted extension cord from the wall. The base doesn't do much, but I would prefer it to be a little more substantial and heavy.

Functionality:
It all works fine, but the way the kettle is designed there really is no poor spout. It is more of an indentation in the inside of the piture. More of a channel for water to flow out of. You have to poor this slowly or you will spill boiling liquid. Even with the lid on some will rush past each side of the channel. A little bit that is.

However, I have tested this and you really have to be impatient for water to dribble out of the either side of the channel in the kettle. If you just pay attention it is perfectly fine.

The kettle boils water quickly. It could probably shut off a few seconds sooner than it does. It boils and it waits for the sensor in the kettle to get to the right temperature before shutting down.

How does this kettle compare to another one I have made by Breville?
My wife bought me one at Teavana that is around 99 dollars. It is made of German Schott glass and stainless steel. It is a much fancier kettle, but between you and me, I like this kettle better... Why? Not because it is nicer, but because it is all one continuous container, there are no rubber gaskets that touch the water in this Hamilton Beach.

The Breville looks cooler, is more refined looking, has a better polish on it, has a better pour spout built into the piture, but has a darn rubber, or silicon gasket that seals the space between the Glass walls and Stainless base, so you get a very mild taste in our water, and they tell you to refill your water every time you want a cup of tea, which to me is a waste as I am using my Reverse Osmosis water that already wastes water in the process.

In contrast, you could just leave the water in this container and reboil it as many times as you want. (You can do that with pure water, you don't have to worry about concentrating water borne contaminants)

99 dollars for one that has water that touches a gasket that leaches chemicals vs 40 dollars for one that keeps your boiling water away from plastic. I choose the Hamilton Beach...

I can tell you boiled water out of this kettle tastes the exact same as out of my Reverse Osmosis sink tap. That can't be said about the Breville.

If this should malfunction or break and my opinion of this should change, I will come back and update this in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20