Profile for Mark Fellows > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 157

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Fellows "Gadget Guy" RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Orion Rc Balance Rod for Dji Self Tightening Propellers (Dji Phantom, Fc40, Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, Vision+)
Offered by ALL e RC
Price: $6.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but doesn't work in practice for me., September 8, 2014
This product did not work for me.

While this is a good idea, and a shaft like this is the only way I can think of for balancing phantom 2 props, it just doesn't work for me.

I am using a dubro 499, which is something I use a lot of the time, and this shaft, while a good idea, did not work. I found that it stuck in points. I am not sure if there are tiny micro divots that stop it from turning freely, but it is hard to balance your props.

One time it will seem heavy in a spot, and when you turn the prop and look at it again, the prop will stop in a spot. You can tell by the way the prop moves and stops in very tiny starts, that there are some "sticking points".

I have lots of experience balancing many different brands of props. APC, Walkera. Blade, Maytech, etc.

DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter (White)
DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter (White)
Price: $579.00
39 used & new from $399.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great flyer, that isn't very reliable, and is prone to ignore the transmitter., September 6, 2014
This gets four stars for usability, quality of flight and stability. However, reliability, setup and durability gets maybe 2 stars.

Quality of flight:

When this quad is in proper form, it flies excellently! It is extremely powerful, and precise. This is an EXCELLENT platform for video cameras.

Reliability:

That is where this craft falls very short. This quad is like a little princess. If you take a steel Allen wrench anywhere near it, you might as well just go ahead and re calibrate the compass, which is a silly ordeal by itself. It is SO easy to knock out of wack. You have to be REAL careful with it. Anytime you work on it, be prepared to recal the IMU, and re-calibrate the compass.

You must turn IOC on in the Phantom 2 software assistant, and even when you do, home lock, and course lock only work half the time. It is extremely unreliable. NEVER EVER RELY ON THESE PARAMETERS TO SAVE YOUR BUTT!

Ease of setup:

Another 2 star property of the quad. When you get it, you have to download multiple software products, and update all firmware, and set all the perimeters. One of which, Phantom RC assistant gave me a virus...

I got a virus warning when I downloaded the product. I wrote an email to my anti virus software company to check it out. They told me it was a false flag, and when I installed that program, I had my internet stop working, and I had to re-image my machine, and hunt down all sorts of exe files that were causing problems.

Do I trust this device?

NO! I am expecting it to fly off at some time. On the third flight, I had to bring it down for a crash landing. It stopped following the instructions I was giving it, so I lowered it to the ground to try and regain control. When it wouldn't, I ditched it in the grass.

My Experience:

Extensive experience tuning, fixing, and flying the 350QX.

Would I recommend this to a friend?

Only if they had money that they could afford to use, were technical, and understood the craft can be unreliable and will need to be constantly fiddled with. Otherwise, no, get something more reliable.

You can see my experiences with the phantom 2 by going to youtube, and typing "Mark Daniel Imaging"

Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter
Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Apparently, one of the consistantly best, August 5, 2014
I have read extensively on oil filters, and even came across a site that rates more than 20 oil filters, and Mobile One filters consistently come up as one of the best. There are better ones, but across the board, Mobile one earns
grades..

The site I used to determine this, is on my blog site, "The Anxious Thoughts" on the post, "Oil might really be black gold"

Valvoline VV916 SynPower 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle
Valvoline VV916 SynPower 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle
Price: $7.98
5 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars From my reading, a good oil, August 5, 2014
It is really hard to properly rate oil, unless you have all sorts of fancy equipement.

However, I have read about Valvoline Synthetic Oil on sights like "Bob is the Oil GUY" site online, and others. Apparently, from what I have read, the other provider of oil I commonly use(mobile one) failed a certain certification test, so that there is something to advertisement that" Valvoline protects 4 times better than Mobile One".

Even if that is true, you probably won't ever have a problem with Mobile one, or any other oil.

For my money though, I will stick to Valvoline for now...

AERO ARMOR Protective Case for LG Volt LS740 - WHITE
AERO ARMOR Protective Case for LG Volt LS740 - WHITE
Offered by HandHelditems
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay case. A good case for the money, August 5, 2014
It makes the phone much thicker, and has a few flaws.

There is no silicone on the sides, so that you are more likely to drop your phone when in this case.

Yes, the color of the white version is off white, but I could care less.

It also makes the phone quite a bit heavier.

There also is no Aero Armor imprinted in the outer most silicon like the picture shows.

The Good:
The molded button extension work fine. I am the phone is better protected in this case, than without.

The Bad:

Some stereo jacks won't plug into the phone jack properly because there is too much material around the 1/8th inch jack to allow them to plug in. I cut mine with scissors

Mark :)

LG Volt White - Prepaid Phone (Virgin Mobile)
LG Volt White - Prepaid Phone (Virgin Mobile)
Price: $99.99
34 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Phone for a Reasonable Price., August 2, 2014
I have to say this phone is pretty cool. My first foray into smart phones was with the Samsung Stratosphere(silde out). These phones easily broke on me TWICE. Both times they were in my pocket. The first time, there was no visible damage, but I must have leaned up against something. The second time. It was in my pocket and I bent down.

That was if for me and smart phones, until I discovered how cheap Virgin Mobile was, and that this phone(LG Volt) was on sale for 149.00 with no contract.

I have to say the phone is pretty neat.

Battery life:

I fully charged this phone 24 hours ago, and now it has about half capacity left. I used it to download a few apps, and used it as both a gps for about 25 minutes today, and for Rhapsody.

Actually, it can drain the battery MUCH faster than that... It was at 100%this am, and 7 hours later it was at 50%...

Features:

It has almost all the bells and whistles, and some that other don't like the Quick Remote, that is pretty cool! It works like a charm on my Toshiba TV, I don't know for sure, but I am thinking the LED just under the camera lens must be capable of transmitting infra red.

The phone has a quad core processor in it, so it is pretty fast.

It has the Google 4.4(kitti Kat, I think) The google search tool works flawlessly for me with voice. you click it, say what your looking for and google finds it, and you can then get gps directions to it. Simple.

Really what makes an android smart phone useful is all the free apps, and there are thousands for you to download.

Size:

The phone is very thin, and light. and about as wide as you have come to expect for a smart phone with a decent sized screen.

performance:

As stated, the phone is pretty quick to open your apps.

I am on Virgin Mobile, in Carroll County Maryland, and so far, I have not had issues with data connectivity.

Minuses:

I don't find the menus all that intuitive. I often have to use the back button several times.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 3:52 PM PDT

JST JST-XH 3S Balance Wire Extention 20cm adapter 11.1v LiPo Battery Cable Li-Po
Offered by HobbyFlip
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, July 29, 2014
Exactly what i wanted! A four wire, 4 pin connector to plug into my lipo to control my gimbal. It Arrived in time, and just what I needed!

Smart Weigh TZ5000 Sleek Cuisine Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Scale with Large Backlit LCD Screen
Price: $25.95
2 used & new from $25.95

4.0 out of 5 stars very accurate, wide ranging scale for such a small price, July 19, 2014
I find this scale to be pretty accurate for my needs. The only reason it looses a star, is because if you turn the scale on, and don't use it, it tends to drift a few grams. To measure very small weights, you need to turn it on, wait for it to say zero, and measure it right away. I am not certain that other scales do not have this problem.

Apparent build quality:

The scale is very light, yet seems to be pretty solidly built. It has a stainless steel plate on which to weigh your items on, and the UNIT and Power/Tare Button are neatly fit into the face besides the display.

Accuracy:

I do not own calibrated weights on which to test the scale against, so I used US coins. I found the weights on the US mint sight, and weight them. Although they probably aren't exact as they have been in circulation, possibly picking up dirt, or having some of the material rubbed off, they are as accurate as I could find.

I find the scale to be accurate generally within .5 grams in most cases.

Usefulness, and range:

I find the range to be phenomenal on this scale. Especially for one so cheap. One that will measure between a few grams to 11 pounds is pretty impressive.

Warranty:

A two year warranty on something like this that cost so little, and could possibly be abused is pretty impressive to me.

Recommendation:

If you choose to buy this scale, and want to measure heavy items(like 11 pounds), I recommend that you are careful to not slam the item down on the weight table. This is a plastic scale, I doubt it is a good idea to let something pound down on it with more than one G of force. For example, just a two G drop on 11 pounds weighs 22 pounds. Dropping something from just a few inches can easily give you 5 gs to 100s of gs or much more depending on the surface it lands on.

The point is, don't drop you weight on the table....

If you want to see this scale in action, and see how I determined this scale to be accurate, go to Youtube, and type in "the suburban hippie experimentalist", and look for the TZ5000 in my videos. It should be up within a few hours of this review..

Hope this helps!

Mark :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

350 QX BNF Firmware 2.0 with SAFE
350 QX BNF Firmware 2.0 with SAFE
Offered by Larry's Performance R/C's
Price: $399.99
7 used & new from $329.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it was intended to be, but sounds good on paper..., July 13, 2014
This review is for firmware 2.0. I already have a review of the 350 Qx on here. There I gave it 4 stars largely because of Blades great customer service..

I have since upgraded my 350 Qx with firmware 2.0. The only differences in my original 1.0 350 qx, and the version 2.0 would be a different placement of the GPS antenna. With the version 2.0, they moved the gps receiver and antena to the right back arm in order to attempt to get it away from the interference.

A little background:

My original 350 Qx flew fine after I replaced the noisy motors, WITH THE EXCEPTION that it did not acquire GPS with the Mobius camera I was using. When I tried, the quad would always take a long time to acquire GPS, and ultimately, it would loose some control, so I would have to bring it down for a hard landing.

I had to come in sideways once, and the quad struck hard as it was flying from the left, and rolled several times, making my camera fly off, and bending the attachment hardware.

Months of experimenting, and moding:

It took me quite some trial an error to get the mobius shielded from the GPS antenna and reciever, but I at last did it!

After upgrade to 2.0:

Then I was enticed to upgrade to 2.0 because of how useful the AP mode seemed on paper...

Unfortunetely, it does not work quite like advertised.

In AP mode, the design is that you must take the throttle up to at least 75% to raise the quad, and everything below 50% lowers the altitude. Everything in the middle on the left stick, is supposed to keep the quad at your set altitude.

However, it doesn't quite work.

After you set a height in AP mode, and fly forward, the quad quickly loosed height. You can't reasonably feather the throttle like you can in stability mode either.

Also, with version 2.0 sometimes the throttle cut doesn't work the first time I push it, which is troubleing for me. I want the ability to ditch the craft if it tries to fly away, or over people, but now throttle cut is unresponisive.

The other issue is that the start up procedure doesn't always work well either.

The throttle cut, and start up worked perfectly before upgrading teh firmware.

I will be anxiously awaiting firmware 3.0!

I have some videos I made with the quad on youtube at my "mark daniel imaging" channel.

The thing that this quad REALLY has going for it, is that it won't fly off on you! In firmware the firmware one version, It would occasionally, or even often get a gps error, and make it fly funny, but I always had partial control, and could bring it down.

Could a strong wind blow it off course, and if you weren't profficient on the controls would it float away? Sure.

However, with the DJI Phantoms, I have seen clearly automated flight, where the quad flys off, like it has a mind of it's own. Good solid robotic flight that take that quad away from you. There is a saying, "it's flying back to china"

The 350QX won't fly off, but be prepared to work on it. Tune it, and such.

Hope this helps!

Mark
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 11:43 AM PDT

MeasuPro TF5000 Instant Read Waterproof IPX7 Thermocouple Digital Thermometer with Wide Range and Large LCD Display
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, accurate thermometer that is the finest meat thermometer we have ever had, July 11, 2014
We have had several meat thermometers over the years, and none of them even come close to the TF5000.

It would normally be hard for me to get excited about a meat thermometer, but this one is pretty advanced.

Upon receiving it, I immediately checked it for accuracy, and found it to be right on.

To check accuracy:

A. First I put a bunch of crushed ice in a glass of water, and measured the temperature. I got a measurement of 32.5 degrees almost instantly.

B. I then boiled a pot of water, and measured the center to be 212.3. Again almost instantly.

Speed of Measurement:
The package says it has a 6 second response time, but I find it to be almost instantaneous. All my other thermometers took forever to read the meat. Long enough that my hands start to feel uncomfortable from the heat...

Accuracy of device:
Judging by my experiment, I find this device to be right on.

Calibration button:
The fact that it even has a calibration button is impressive to me. I have never owned a thermometer that you could do this with. To do this, you crush ice, and put it in water. You stick the thermo in the ice water, and hold the cal button for 2 seconds. It will read 0.0 C, which is the freezing point. You have just calibrated your thermometer.

Max/Min button:
The max and min button tell you your extremes. I can't currently think of a use for this, but perhaps real chefs can.

Auto Power Off:
None of our other thermometers have had this feature either, and I always end up leaving them powered on laying on the countertop, draining the batteries.

Reliability:
I haven't had this long, so I can't really comment on that, but I can say the device has a nice solid feel, and seems to be made well.

I hope this has helped you in your shopping!

Mark:)