Profile for matt8386 > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2006

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

matt8386 RSS Feed (tanktown, DE)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
WWE Ultimate Entertainment Stage Playset
WWE Ultimate Entertainment Stage Playset
Price: $49.99
9 used & new from $49.95

2.0 out of 5 stars WWE Playset, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This toy set did not impress me. It's difficult to build and not as sturdy as you'd think for kids who are going to be smashing things around. It's not as good with out the app and if you don't have/can't or won't down load, then it's a problem. No action figures or batteries included. Aside from a stage and an entrance ramp, what background is there for the kids?

If your kid is a fanatic about WWE or you're a collector, then perhaps another star or two.

MiG-17 Fresco in Action - Aircraft No. 125
MiG-17 Fresco in Action - Aircraft No. 125
by Hans-Heiri Stapfer
25 used & new from $9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars MiG-17 Fresco In Action, August 1, 2015
Author Hans-Heri-Stapfer has written an excellent, detailed, concise history of the MiG-17. This book, published in 1992, follows the tried & true format of Squadron In Action series of the time. Black & White photos, line drawings and 2 pages of color plates take the reader from the development to the present of the subject.

The MiG-17 looks like it's predecessor the MiG-17 of Korean War fame, but was superior. Over 8,000 were built, used by 40 different countries, the plane was rugged, tough, reliable, easy to use and maintain. Stapfer reviews the combat successes of the MiG-17 as a fighter and fighter bomber. Arab-Israeli Wars, service in North Vietnam (2 pages is a lot in these books) and other places as well. USAF pilots quickly came to respect the agility and fire power of the MiG-17.

I have always found the In Action series to be an excellent resource in building models. They are detailed enough to see the different variants, affordable and have the history an aviation buff likes. Nowadays, the In Action Series and newer Walk Around series have more color. See also
MiG-17 Fresco - Walk Around No. 46 also by Stapfer. For a more expansive (and expensive book), check out Yefim Gordon's Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17: The Soviet Union's Jet Fighter of the Fifties (Aerofax)

This book is perfect for those who want the information, history and ability to build a model.

My Little Pony Cutie Mark Magic Canterlot Castle Playset
My Little Pony Cutie Mark Magic Canterlot Castle Playset
Price: $89.62
4 used & new from $73.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, Large, Fun Gift My Little Pony, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If this toy set had been around when my daughter was young, I would have purchased it for her. The size of the box alone is enough to put a smile on a child's face. When I opened the box, I did. Then you see the toys & castle, some toy sets that kids will play with for a short while then not again, no worries about that here.

Assembly is not difficult at all. The ability to decode clues with app (not included) add digital fun, but I think kids get the most fun & benefit from simply using their imagination. Since this is so large, other friends can play at same time without problems.

Recommended gift that will bring a smile & a lot of fun time for girls.

Avery Postcards for Laser Printers, Uncoated, 4 x 6 Inches, White, Box of 100 (05389)
Price: $13.58
45 used & new from $7.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Postcard & Templates, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently received an invitation for a friends party in the mail - it looked good - obviously made on someone's computer, but certainly good enough for a causal affair. I think these postcards are similar. Good, sturdy enough to send invitations or a note to someone, especially for a picnic or event where there are a lot of people but you do not need to be as formal as a wedding.

The good news here is that if you are familiar & comfortable with Windows Office, the set up and use of this product should be very easy. The major complaint I have is that you have to register/create an account with Avery. You can down load software if you choose, but that is not an option I want either.The account is very easy to create. You do have to adjust printer settings experiment with font sizes, colors, templates, there are many to choose from. You can easily import images to customize the post cards, which means the possibilities are limited only by your time.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the image. It compares favorably with more expensive 4x6 matte paper I bought awhile back.

Bottom line, these are good, versatile postcards. They're not photo quality or high gloss but allow great creativity of individual design. If you're computer literate, then I recommend these.

Avery Easy Align Self-Laminating ID Labels, 3-1/2 x 1-1/32 Inches, Pack of 100 (00753)
Price: $20.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear Laminate Labels, July 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The account is very easy to create. You do have to adjust printer settings experiment with font sizes, colors, templates, there are many to choose from. You can easily import images to customize the labels, which means the possibilities are limited only by your time.

Do be careful how you load the paper. I have HP 8500, the 1st time I loaded it, it printed on the back of the page. The instructions say the page can only be loaded once, but I wiped off the ink and was able to reload & use the sheet.

The instructions on the sheets of labels are good, helpful. Bottom line, these are good, versatile labels that laminate well are clear and help organize things for you. If you're computer literate, then I recommend these labels.

C-17 Globemaster III In Action (50231)
C-17 Globemaster III In Action (50231)
by Bill Norton
Price: $26.06
4 used & new from $16.94

5.0 out of 5 stars C-17 Globemaster III In Action, July 31, 2015
Another excellent book from Squadron Signal. Yes, the 'zoomies' (fighter pilots) give the 'ash & trash' haulers (cargo pilots) grief, but every fighter jock knows how important these transport planes are.

The C-17 traces its history back to 1968. Changing requirements, budget constraints delayed fielding & production for many years, but what finally evolved was a versatile, rugged plane with greater capabilities, less maintenance, enormous range as well at STOL on rough airfields.

Author Bill Norton provides a concise but thorough review of the design of the plane. 100% crisp, clear color photos, cut-aways, line drawings and excellent captions supplement the narrative. These help the reader see the complexity of the C-17 – how it manages to carry troops, wide body cargo, wounded, airborne operations – it can even refuel airborne tankers!

This book is absolutely a must have if you're building a model of the C-17, especially if you need interior shots or making a diorama. It's also an excellent choice for aviation buffs who love to see the nuts and bolts of a plane. The C-17 “Moose” (affectionate nickname, not official name) is an awesome plane and this book demonstrates that perfectly.

The Nutro Company Adult Limited Ingredient Diet Dog Food with Lamb and Whole Brown Rice Formula, 5-Pound
Price: $12.80
7 used & new from $12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamb & Rice Kibbles, July 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I couldn't even get this out of the shipping box before my pup was sniffing and wagging her tail. Gave her some kibbes, she loved them very much!

These are soft kibbles, not the hard, dried type you'd buy at grocery store. They remind me more like treats we get for the dog vs. regular food. Lamb is 1st ingredient, then rice, veggies and vitamins.

Looks like an excellent choice for dogs who need a special diet. Made in USA per the label.

Executive Office Solutions Portable Adjustable Aluminum Laptop Desk/Stand/Table Vented w/CPU Fans Mouse Pad Side Mount-Notebook-Macbook-Light Weight Ergonomic TV Bed Lap Tray Stand Up/Sitting-Black
Offered by ECommerce Product Solutions, LLC
Price: $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last! Laptop Stand That Keeps User Cool, July 29, 2015
I just got this today, so far I am very pleased. I'm using this for a 17" laptop, it supports the weight and size easily. There is a mouse pad that attaches for left or right side. The mouse pad can be tilted to a different angle than the tray if you wish.

The legs do require a bit of fenagling, They lock into place at 15 degree increments. If you tlt the tray on one side, adjust and then repeat process, you can adjust with the laptop on the tray. Another hint is to adjust it on the floor to make sure it's not crooked.

I'm surprised other reviewers did not mention the clips which go on the front of the tray to help prevent the laptop from slipping off. I found it very helpful. At first, I thought they went on the mouse tray, but then saw how they matched the groves on the front tray. Very good idea.

The fans are noisier than I'd like. I can hear the hum over the room fan. Will have to see if they are really even needed since the lap top is now elevated off my body, I may not need them at all. Another downside to the fan is that it uses up another USB port. Something to think about, but I'd rather do that than have an AC/DC adapter plug. The cord is short, but does not need to be too long since the port is just inches away. I may even tape the cord down so it does not dangle or get caught on anything.

All in all, very pleased with this. It replaces countless other things I've tried to keep laptop off body, it's sturdy enough to use in recliner or on desk, a lot of possible variations on the angles you select.

4.5 stars out of 5, but since I cannot rate 4.5, I am rating it a 5. The price, ease of use and versatility of this give it overall 5.

AeroFryer 9349 Cooklite Aero Fryer, 1000-watt 4.6-Liter/4.8-Quart (Extended Capacity 7.1-Liter/7.5-Quart), Black
Price: $151.42
4 used & new from $138.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Frying - As Seen on TV, July 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I tried this last night. Overall, we liked it, an interesting combination of good features/ideas and things to think about.

Pros's
Setting up and using this 'fryer' is easy enough.
I really like that this does not generate a lot of heat - great for summer time cooking. Don't have to heat oven or stove.
It's light (plastic).
It provides a healthy alternative to deep fryer along with smaller size cooking portions, will assist in eating healthier.
Great option to heat store bought food such as french fries, onion rings, etc

Included: Oil sprayer bottle - you pour cooking oil into this plastic bottle and use that to spray the ingredients. Think of Pam with out aerosol. It's reusable and will save cost of spray oil cans. Mesh basket, tongs (which are awkward & useless design), instruction booklet with a few recipies.

Cons

questionable durability - you're going to have to be careful not to break this since it's plastic - will it stand up to long term use?
Small cooking size portions. I wouldn't recommend this for large meals or families, it will take a lot of time to cook multiple batches
There is no substitute for deep frying. The food we made is good and more healthy but not as crispy as restaurant fries.

Summary - We'l try this again to see if we can improve our results. Since we're trying to improve our diet, smaller portions and less fat are desirable features of this item. Not a good option of you're in a hurry with a large & hungry family to feed.

HMDX HX-P470 Titanium Portable Speaker
HMDX HX-P470 Titanium Portable Speaker
Price: $49.88
2 used & new from $49.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Speaker, July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good travel speaker - certainly much, much better than any radios at a hotel. This speaker allows you to listen to your blue tooth phone (or I-pod, it has a 3.5 mm port so you can attach an ipod via cable). Incredibly easy to set up. I like that there is USB charging cord (included) to recharge the batteries. Pairing button, volume button, on/off and that's it.

Now, for the sound - no equalizer. This is perfectly fine if you're using this for a phone speaker. If you're using this for music, you'll notice it's crisp and clear, but low on the bass side. I have a portable/wireless Bose speaker that I like. The Bose speaker is 2x as loud, better base but also 2x the price and 2x as heavy.

Volume - with my device at max and max volume on the speaker, you can hear this pretty well over the noise of a shower. Some folks like to listen to music in shower, this can provide enough umph to do that.

Overall - I love the lightweight, sturdy and simple design. It's 5 stars if your only concerned with this as a speaker for your phone, since I use these more for music, I've taken off a star for the low bass sound.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20