Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Luxury Beauty Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for JDThird > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 11926

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JDThird "John" RSS Feed (Racine, WI United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oculus Rift
Oculus Rift
16 used & new from $899.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing immersion, May 20, 2016
This review is from: Oculus Rift (Video Game)
I had no idea what to expect of this. I had the $2199 bundle reserved at a brick and mortar store back in March, but then cancelled it since i didn't want to dump the money into something I didn't even know if I'd like that much. But I was curious, so did one of the brick and mortar demos of the technology a week ago.

I was blown away in the little 6 or 8 minute bit of playing. Enough to realize I screwed up by cancelling my preorder, so I went to the auction site and paid a premium for one.

Today I finally got the computer to run it, one of the Asus ROG computers, with the 980 card in it and an i7 processor.

And I have to say, the demo at the brick and mortar really hadn't even scratched the SURFACE.

At every step, everything I tried new, I was more and more blown away. The immersion is just amazing, despite the lack of peripheral vision.

Picture wearing a diving mask. That's about your field of view. So it's limiting, but you really don't notice it much when you're immersed in something because that immersion really just takes over all of your awareness.

I've seen the same thing that others talk about, with the rays of light sometimes depending on what you're seeing. And things in the center are a bit clearer than things are as you move your focal point away. When you can lean close to something, the resolution looks amazing, and as you back away, it gets just a tad fuzzy.

But again, there's little to detract from the overall amazing experience.

The game Lucky's Tale - it's mind boggling. I've never experienced that level of presence from a video game before. Seeing what they show in videos online doesn't even begin to describe what it's like to be "inside" of that. I had expected more like watching a side scrolling game, but this has so much presence and immersion that you can feel your stomach lurch sometimes as you move around.

Even some of the freebies out there are amazing. But I have to say, I absolutely LOVE Eve Valkyrie. I'm a big fan of first person shooters and flight sims, so it's just amazing how your body reacts to what it expects to feel.

What I love most, is that it's this amazing in its infancy. This is why I wanted to get a system that exceeded the minimum specs, since I want to be able to do some of the more advanced things that have to be coming down the road for this. The technology is just unbelievable, the experience is surreal, and there's nothing to compare it to. You have to experience it to understand that it's more than just some gimmick, more than just some new gaming platform.

Mobile & Compact Complete Computer Workstation Desk. Color: Graphite
Mobile & Compact Complete Computer Workstation Desk. Color: Graphite
Price: $62.04
18 used & new from $58.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid unit, worth the cost., May 19, 2016
This went together well. The metal pieces are sturdy, and the black surfaces are mostly protected during shipping, I only have a few spots where something was marred.

I'm not much of a fan of the movable shelf though, and how it attaches, since it disfigures the mounting point when you tighten it, and over time this will just keep getting worse.

But it looks nice, the size is perfect (I wanted something for my new Oculus Rift PC and headgear) and there's enough shelf space here for me to use it for its intended purpose.

Anti Snoring Device Nose Vent Pack of 4 Premium Nasal Dilators - Best Solution to Prevent Sleep Apnea and Designed for Ultimate Snore Relief - Natural Simple and Fast.
Offered by NG SHOP
Price: $22.97

2.0 out of 5 stars The hard plastic is just far more uncomfortable than the others I have, May 19, 2016
I've got a few different styles of these, and this is the one that I never use. Hard plastic makes it very uncomfortable in the nasal passages. Every other product I tried was far more comfortable.

Neoprene Lunch Bag by CuisineGadgets -Black Lunchbox [12L x 12H x 6.5W] Durable Expandable Lunch Box for Kids -Reusable Thermal Insulated Lunch Bag for Women and Men.Temperature Held Longer With Zip
Offered by CuisineGadgets
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well and nicely constructed, May 19, 2016
I wish this was a bit smaller, but we're dealing with it being oversized for what we want and need.

But the build quality is great, zipper is well done, good stitching and nothing loose or fraying.

It holds things easily, and it bends easily, so it fits well on top of books in backpacks, keeping it out of the "squish" zone.

ApeX Traveler Round Tip Tweezers Zebra Etched Lifetime Guarantee & Made in the USA
Offered by ApeX Grooming Products
Price: $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, rounded tip much safer than the pointed ones..., May 19, 2016
Prior to this, I just had a normal tweezers with the angled tip, so it had a point. When trying to deal with things in my son's nasal passages, that was just too much of a risk. With this, I don't have to worry about accidentally scratching the inside of his nose. The rounded tip makes it much safer.

Sophos XG 85 Next-Gen UTM Firewall with 4 GE ports, Flash Memory + Base License - Includes FW, VPN & Wireless -(Appliance Only)
Offered by Corporate Armor, Inc.
Price: $250.70
2 used & new from $250.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Using it as a Fortigate replacement and love this much more, May 19, 2016
I was apparently much luckier than the only other reviewer of this. I had no issues.

I'm used to dealing with Fortigate, Sonicwall, and Watchguard units, so this was actually a much nicer experience for me.

It took me just a few minutes to figure out the differences in setting up policies and rules, and I was away.

This replaced a Fortigate unit, so I've got the DMZ, LAN, and WAN going. It was very intuitive to do things like alternate IP policies as well, since I have my DMZ and exchange traffic going out different IP's than the default network uses, so that an infected PC doesn't blacklist the IP my mail server uses.

I actually found the UI quite intuitive, considering the complexity that this offers compared to other units I've dealt with.

I like the fact that it's a fraction of the price of the Fortigate units we've been reselling as well. If it proves to be as physically reliable, then I don't see anything keeping me from switching us to these models.

There seems to be more options for tuning traffic and granular control over how much threat protection you want as well. And the reporting is considerably better than what I'm accustomed to with the Fortigate UI. Realtime stats that I can't get easily on the Fortigates are right here easy to get.

The power plug - standard male plug, but there's a screw collar on it, so it actually screws into the device, so it won't accidentally get pulled out. Nice feature. There is also an actual power button on it. And unlike other power buttons or switches, this isn't one that's easy to "bump" and turn off - it's more like hard powering off a non-responsive PC and holding the power button for 5 seconds or so. You can bump and click it all you want, but you have to HOLD it a bit for it to actually engage. These are two nice features that I haven't seen on far more expensive units...

For the price, they're an insane deal. If the reliability stands up, this will be a great product.

Stack-On PDS-1500-B Personal Drawer Safe with Biometric Lock
Stack-On PDS-1500-B Personal Drawer Safe with Biometric Lock

2.0 out of 5 stars Solid build, but scanner is just problematic, May 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had hoped for more from this. I have a few gun safes around the house, but no true biometric ones. The other smaller one for handguns has a "hand" print one with the buttons in the finger spots, and is basically a combination lock with those buttons in whatever sequence you set. It works, but it's not the same as a biometric safe.

This one is nice physically. It's heavy, solid. The top is unobtrusive, with the recessed door so it's harder to pry open. The fingerprint sensor is easy to access. It has a silent mode, that disables the beeping. Critical for home defense. But there's a bit of a hollow "thunk" when you twist the knob to unlock it anyway, so it's still not silent. It comes with the four AA batteries it needs, but they're off-brand ones.

The cover for the key requires a knife or scissors to pop the cover off. The keys worked fine. There's a small button under a rubber stopper that you can press with a pen or something, which is how you enable the enrollment of fingers, or reset it totally by holding it for more than 5 seconds.

But this is where things went downhill for me. I enrolled my right hand index finger as they suggest - slightly turning it a little bit. They also suggest doing the fingers you're most likely to use regularly more than once, to give that bit more variation in positioning. I was able to do my right forefinger two times, but it never would do my left index finger. I was able to do my right hand middle finger twice as well, but still can't do any other fingers now. I've tried every other finger, and it flat out fails every time. Each finger should be read three times, but I can't get more than two green lights and beeps before the final one is the red failure code.

I've washed my hands multiple times, made sure the reader was clean, multiple tries at resetting, but nothing I do ever gets other fingers registered. There are supposed to be slots for 20 registrations. With the two fingers I managed to register so far twice each, I'm only using four slots. I even did the reset to clear all fingerprint data in case there was something left over from programming or testing, but I had no better luck afterwards.

On the plus side, the door has stiff hinges, so it doesn't just fall and go "bang!" when you close it.

Another plus - the removable lock cover plate reveals the serial number, so you can get replacement keys if you lose them. Of course, someone could steal the safe, and do the same thing, pretending to be the owners...

I have no idea why I can't record any fingers other than the two it takes, even after a reset. There are no scars, no scrapes, nothing that would impede reading any other finger. But no matter what I do, the failure rate is 100% on any other than two of my fingers.

Coleman Divide+ 225 lm LED Headlamp with Battery Lock
Coleman Divide+ 225 lm LED Headlamp with Battery Lock
Price: $22.63
8 used & new from $19.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and useful, May 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a similar unit by Energizer. The one thing Energizer's has is that this doesn't is a separate power button for the red lights, so you can turn each on without having to cycle through another color like this one does.

The band is adjustable so it will fit a variety of sizes of heads. The light is mounted so that you can pivot it down, and ratcheted so that you can have it hold in multiple positions to illuminate things you're working on at a lower level without having to point your forehead straight down at it.

Presses of the power button cycle through the various options of the different LED's on it. If you're using it as a flashlight, the options give you some flexibility for use. The red works well if you want to move around and see things without losing night vision when you're done.

Three AAA's power it, and are included. Name brand ones, not some cheap off brand like so many devices ship with so they can say, "Batteries included."

Works well for times when you want hands free light.

Holmes Arm & Hammer Odor Grabber and Air Cleaner, Black
Holmes Arm & Hammer Odor Grabber and Air Cleaner, Black
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, and turns out it did not really remove any odor from my kitchen, May 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a bit disappointed when I realized that the Arm & Hammer part of this was simply the filter. I had hoped there was a compartment or something that could be renewed with fresh Arm & Hammer baking soda. To find out it's just a filter "enhanced" with it was a letdown. I don't like air cleaners that can't just have the filters cleaned. This one requires new filters to be purchased every 60 to 90 days to maintain effective operation.

It's loud - even louder than my dehydrator. And every time I noticed the sound from the kitchen again, that's exactly what I thought I was hearing, and I freaked a little each time I tried to figure out why I had the dehydrator going...

With some of the jerky I've made recently, and hamburgers, for the last week or two I've had a persistent hamburger smell in my kitchen. Even with my full sized air purifiers with 5 or 6 filters and UV haven't cleaned out that smell.

So I had hoped that maybe this one, designed specifically for odors, would work. But it hasn't. Nonstop running on high for 2 days and it's still here...

It's noisy and requires filters to be purchased rather than just cleaned for best performance. And after seeing how it failed to clear that smell out of the kitchen, I have to say I'm disappointed in the effectiveness of this. I know it's designed for a small area, but my kitchen isn't sprawling, and it should've been able to help knock down that smell.

Tobin's Spirit Guide: Official Ghostbusters Edition
Tobin's Spirit Guide: Official Ghostbusters Edition
by Erik Burnham
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for any Ghostbusters fan, May 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bounced between three and four stars for this. It's a bit of a letdown, since I had hoped for something that was actually supposed to be the book referenced in the movie, but this book is "written" by the Ghostbuster characters. So rather than being some kind of actual reference work, it's more a book with some anecdotes and stories about how the Ghostbusters dealt with various spirits...

So part of me was thinking just 2 or 3 stars, but people aren't buying this based solely on the contents, anymore than I purchased it for that. I saw this and had to snag it because of the tie-in to Ghostbusters. How cool is it to have the Tobin's Spirit Guide on the mantle?

So this is good for a collector, has catchy artwork on the cover, and inside as well. If you're a Ghostbusters fan, you understand. If not, then no amount of review can help you "get" it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20