Profile for Vlad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 133

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Vlad RSS Feed (russianwriter.net)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Pledge
The Pledge
DVD ~ Jack Nicholson
130 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very slow and very surprising ., March 11, 2003
This review is from: The Pledge (DVD)
Third film directed by Sean Penn ( " The Indian Runner " '91 and " The Crossing Guard " '95 ).
1. If you don't like slow developing , deeply phychological films - stay away from it .
2. Homicide detective Jerry Black ( Jack Nicholson ) at his retirement party . Only 6 hours left " to serve and protect " . A phone call . Young girl is raped and killed in the woods .
- Come on Jerry , you are not a cop anymore !
- I still have 6 hours to go .
The scene is horrifying and he has to tell the parents . Then he has to give a promise to them and to God that he'll find the killer .
3. This film is more about the human mind than the investigation in this case . Obsession can drive you crazy ... but you don't know when you reach that point ... you just don't .

About a Boy (Widescreen Edition)
About a Boy (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Hugh Grant
Offered by 1dandy1
Price: $8.76
287 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It is never just about a boy ., March 9, 2003
Excellent comedy from the directors of " American Pie " and " " Down to Earth ". Starring Hugh Grant . By it's speed and meaning reminds me " Four Weddings and a Funeral ". If you did like that one , you definitely going to love " About a Boy ".
Hugh Grant playing Will , some guy who is doing absolutely nothing . Just watching TV all day , picking up CDs in the store , eating lunch and picking up girls later at night . Will living on his fathers "one hit wonder " song's money and his principle in life is very simple - one man is an island . He needs nothing , he wants nothing and he cares about nothing . But one day Marcus ( Nicholas Hoult ) walks in his life and things beginning to change . Marcus is a 6-7 grade kid , growing up with his single and depressed "hippie" mom . He is bullied at school and has no friends . He just started stopping by at Will's place and " hang around ", anyway Will doing nothing all day .
This relationship changed both their lives for better . And finally Will realized the real life he was missing . One man is never an island after all - you change other people lives , same as they change yours .

The Big Hit
The Big Hit
DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by Paint it Orange
Price: $9.09
246 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I can write a long review , but I choose not to !, March 9, 2003
This review is from: The Big Hit (DVD)
I can write a long review , but I choose not to ! Do you want to know why ?
Because this is movie for guys mostly . And the main story is : a professional hit man trying to return rental video ! It is already funny ! Wait , until you se the movie itself !Excellent comedy with a lot of action ! Guys ! Do I need to say more ?!

Moscow Parade [VHS]
Moscow Parade [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Chicago Movies & More
Price: $19.99
9 used & new from $3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY overrated !, January 30, 2003
This review is from: Moscow Parade [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I even don't know where to start ...
1. My friend Cat sended it to me and said : You can keep it ?! Not a good sign ! She speaks exellent Russian and loves good Russian movies .
2. I looked at the box and here it is : Moscow Parade is the first post-Soviet Union view of the Stalin Era in all its complexities - terror , passions , music and eroticism...
I was ready to throw up but my girlfriend was already asleep and I didn't want to wake her up .
3. So I watched it ...
4. Reminds me " Burned by the Sun " - same kind of story , same era , same OVERgrotesque which suposed to be some kind of innovention ?! As result - TOO cheep . Throw in bad script , aditing , dialogs and medioca acting by the good actors ... I think it calls ... VERY MEDIOCA FILM with few good points , but ...
5. But you need a talant to put everything together in a good film . And this is what this film missing - TALANT !
6. Do you want to se a very good film about this time in USSR history ? Watch Russian film " Cold Summer of 1953 " or American film " Inner Circle ".

Metamorphoses
Metamorphoses
15 used & new from $10.79

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best !, January 28, 2003
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
Defenatly one of his best from my point of view . So many different moods and so much use of techno-pop . I use to like his older music but I gess my test develops at the same direction as his new album .
Out of his other albums ... I would say it is more close to the " Zoolook ".
If you are Jarre's fun and a " Walkman " tipe of person - this is your album .
My favorite part ? I would say 11'30"-15'50".

Ancient
Ancient
Price: $15.19
53 used & new from $1.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best one ., January 22, 2003
This review is from: Ancient (Audio CD)
Definitely better than " Dream ". But again it is not a real Kitaro . So sad ...
At list I felt few of the tracks ... but it still reminds me his move to " elevator " music direction after he left Japan . He just had to stay the same : one of the most talanted musicians in the world .

Mandala
Mandala
Price: $14.19
96 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite ., January 22, 2003
This review is from: Mandala (Audio CD)
One of my favorite Kitaro CDs . I discover Kitaro music in late 80's , just when I started writing . And when I write , I have to have some music on background , what helps me to stay constantly in particula mood . Kitaro's music is perfect for that . I call every his song my own name ( ocean dream , flight thrue the clouds , higher and higher ... ). Long time ago I couldn't fell asleep without his music .
On this CD , " Scope " is my favorite .

In the Bedroom
In the Bedroom
DVD ~ Tom Wilkinson
37 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You either love it or hate it ., January 20, 2003
This review is from: In the Bedroom (DVD)
I loved it ... my girlfriend fell asleep . This is the 2 major reactions for this film . If you like slow but very deep story ; if you ever lost a loved one ; if you understand the harsh reality of a little detail , painfully striking you deep into your hart ; if you prefer exellent cinematography insted of digital graphics - this is your film .
Small East coast town , usual people , usual little problems ... and tragedy strikes . The only son is killed by the ex of his girlfriend . But legal sistem works at it best , and killer still on the street . Parenths of the dead boy se him everywhere in this little town . What would you do ?
The moments of this movie , which shocked me the most :
First - when father walked in the son's room ... camera slowly shows the close on the floor , short on the chear ...the pillow with a headprint still on it ... he touches it ... and I swear , I felt the pain .
Second - when father faced the killer on the street. He looks at him ... slowly lookes down... and lookes back at him with the same speed as he rises hand with a gun .
And last one - when father quietly walks back to the bedroom... we shocked by surprise - his wife is awake and waiting in the bad ... few quiet seconds ... Did you do it ? - we shocked by her question as much as he was .
PS: For some reason , this film reminded me " Ice Storm ". You really understand what you have , only when the tragedy strikes .

Blind Date
Blind Date
DVD ~ Kim Basinger
Offered by ACE MEDIA DIRECT
Price: $6.75
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of FUNNIEST American comedies...ever !, January 20, 2003
This review is from: Blind Date (DVD)
Do I need to say the words ?...
Bruce Willis playing the hardworking office guy ... a looser ( ??? ). His boss having a BIG dinner party with new " Hope to be a partner ". He needs a date !? He is trying to rent his brother's wife , but he doesn't have a 100 bucks to pay for it . So , his brother setting him up with a blind date ... OH BOY ! Exectly ! Did you ever have a very wrong and bad blind date ? Forget about it ! This one is the ... I don't have the words . Let me finish with one of the last frases in this film : " STOP the music !... and shoot the dog ! "

41 Stories (Signet Classics)
41 Stories (Signet Classics)
by Burton Raffel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
93 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What an exellent collection !, January 20, 2003
What an exellent collection ! I fell in love with O'Henry writing about 25 years ago , when I was a kid . First , I read his work in russian . But now , when my english got better , I decided to give it a try , and I am glad , I did . His unique stile of writing is very unpredictable and funny . He is playing with words and frases as ring master . The twists in every story slaping you in your face from the right side , just a moment before you exspected it from the left . But beware : If you start reading this book , you better turn off your range and make shure , that iron is off ! You are going to forget about them after the first pages of this wonderfull book .
Mr. O'Henry ! You and Bulgakov are 2 writers , who inspire me and my writing for over 2 decades ! Thank you ...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14