Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "think deep thoughts but don't drown in them" RSS Feed (the Thumb)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
3dRose Noahs Ark Mug, 11-Ounce
3dRose Noahs Ark Mug, 11-Ounce
Price: $17.09
2 used & new from $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Think twice before you purchase!, November 14, 2014
I waited a long time to order this cup because it was $19.95. But I ordered it because it was cute and funny. However, when I received it I was disappointed: the colors are NOT clear and bright as shown and the mug cannot be washed in the dishwasher. And the colors are fading fast even with hand washing.I wish I had saved my money. Now I see that the mug costs even more than when I purchased it. I hope that it is better quality, but I rather doubt it.

How To Gain Wealth With Just One Word
How To Gain Wealth With Just One Word
Price: $1.00

1.0 out of 5 stars This kindle book will install itself as a virus!, July 23, 2014
Do not buy this book. If you do, you will never be able to get it off your kindle. I am not kidding. It seems to reperpetuate itself even when you delete it from your device. My thought is that it has downloaded a virus to my app and I can't get it off the kindle app even when I've deleted it from my library, my device, my files, and anywhere else it may be stored. It downloads itself constantly after I've removed it. Again, I am warning you!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 11:46 PM PDT

Maximize Your Medicare (2015 Edition): Understanding Medicare, Protecting Your Health, and Minimizing Costs
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is very readable and reveals how knowledgeable the author is about the topic., October 26, 2012
I am in insurance, and have been looking for some time for a book about Medicare that I can recommend to my clients and to family and friends. The author, Jae Oh, has taken a very complex topic and in simple, expressive language breaks down a very complex topic. Thank you, Mr. Oh, for a book that I will be happy to recommend.

Clover Tatting Shuttles, Asst. Colors
Clover Tatting Shuttles, Asst. Colors
Price: $4.48
22 used & new from $3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to use..., September 3, 2012
these colorful tatting shuttles.

The colors are fun, the points are sharp enough that I never need to use a crochet hook to connect motif to motif or to correct mistakes, and they are sturdy.

What more could you need?

Learning to Drive
Learning to Drive
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This short story is meant to be a cautionary tale..., June 18, 2011
This review is from: Learning to Drive (Kindle Edition)
by the author, Violet Yates, as stated in the product description. Violet wants to warn against the use of pregnancy by teenagers as a way of gaining independence from parents and school. However, the story is much more than that, I believe. It is a coming-of-age story more than anything, and it reveals more of the strength and the determination a new mother gains through her love and her care of the child.

Lila is seventeen, pregnant, and is married to Harry. Before she left her parent's home she tried to learn to drive and failed. Her brother tries to teach her but to no avail. Her husband tries, too, and fails. Violet begins to understand that the reason she can't learn to drive is because she has never had control of her life. She reasons that: "Taking control was not something I did. Period."

Lila describes her newly married life as idyllic and wonderful. She is close to her husband and they appear to be happy. However,their first home, a coffee shack on a plantation, is in disrepair and very poor. Lila stays at home while Harry works. All is well, she believes, with her life until the couple realize they must take in a boarder to make ends meet.

Oscar, an old school friend of Harry, comes to live with them and pay half the rent. Again, all is well at first, until Lila's life begins to unravel.

I don't want to tell more of the story so as not to spoil the reading of it. Violet's writing is very good. As a woman, I will say that I understood Lila's situation. Often times we give away our will to our parents and then to our husbands, especially when we are very young, and then have to reclaim that will in very difficult situations. Often it happens when we are faced with parenthood.

This story is well-worth reading. I am looking forward to reading more of Ms. Yate's backlist of books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2011 12:07 AM PDT

Shadowbrook Manor
Shadowbrook Manor

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, poignant romance..., June 17, 2011
This review is from: Shadowbrook Manor (Kindle Edition)
The novel starts with Samantha Morgan, or Sam, about to travel to Mackinac Island in MI after the death of her husband, Jared in an auto accident. Unfortunately, there is another victim of the accident, a woman with whom Jared has been having an affair. Sam is blind-sided, but it seems that their marriage had some difficulties because Jared was growing cold and controlling.

A few days after the funeral, Jared's uncle, a lawyer, reveals to Samantha that Jared's parents want her to take possession of Shadowbrook Manor, a house on Mackinac Island that Jared bought a few years earlier, against Sam's wishes.

Sam, who is a realtor, decides to go to the Island, patch and paint the house and then sell it as fast as possible. When she arrives, she meets Tobias and Ginny, who befriend her. Tobias tells her of the haunted past of Shadowbrook Manor. It seems that the Manor was built by Capt. Alexandre O'Keefe in 1896-97. A year later, the captain meets Leslie Faraday, when she arrives on the Island in June for a holiday along with her husband, James. The young couple is accompanied by Irene and Henry Burtram.

Alex and Sam fall in love over the summer. By the end of the summer Alex has been murdered and Leslie mysteriously has vanished.

I started reading the book last evening about 7 pm. I read until about 11. I fell asleep with my kindle, trying to read just a bit more. And I dreamt about Leslie and Alexandre on Mackinac I. I've never immersed myself into a character in a novel as I did in Leslie.

I woke about 2 and read some more. Then woke at 6 this morning and finished the book. I would have finished it in one reading, but I was exhausted from gardening and although the story enthralled me, I couldn't.

It was a beautiful story. I wish that more time had been spent on Leslie and Alex's relationship. I felt the love, but the only physical expressions between the two were Alex's carrying of Leslie from the dock, and the kiss at the cemetery.

Again, I did feel the love. The story is poignant and enthralling. I wish it had been twice as long with that extra time spent with the two on the Island in the past time.

Right now, I feel so sad. Even although Alexandre and Leslie finally do achieve their HEA, I feel so sad somehow.

Maybe, "haunted" is the word that best describes it. It may be because I am a Michigander and I have visited Mackinac Island so many times. But I felt as if I was there as the novel progressed. I could place myself right into the action.

I don't want to write much more so that I don't spoil the reading for someone else. Thank you for the story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2011 10:46 AM PDT

THE MESSIAH OF GREEN STREET
THE MESSIAH OF GREEN STREET

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a book that drew me in rather quickly, although...., November 30, 2010
...it is set in Upton Park, an area in London, and has a multi-cultural background with which I'm not that familiar being that I'm American and Protestant. However, the unfamiliarity of the book's universe drew me in rather quickly. The book begins by telling of the birth of a child to Bangladeshi parents in a London suburb.

This child, who is named Sahil, is considered a sort of "messiah" by his community and others being that he is born multi-racial with the features of (and I quote from the book): "the nose of a Jew, the lips of a black man, the hair of an Asian, the build of a caucasian, and the eyes of a lost Indian tribesman." Also, the baby is born "big, too big for a newborn baby."

He is named Sahil, and it is discovered that he is able to speak in "perfect Arabic and Hebrew" from the moment of birth! Definitely, this child is a prodigy by any description, and the book tells of how his birth affects his community.

I don't want to give any more of the story away but I find it interesting to read about how Sahil's appearance in a disenfranchised, dispossessed, and superstitious community and people affects their lives and their beliefs.

I must say that I felt slightly uncomfortable reading this book. I try hard not to judge people by their appearance, and having the description of the baby put in the terms as quoted above from the book made me wonder if the book was (and its author) was racist. But they are not. And I think that my feeling unsettled by this description helped me enter into the universe of the story being aware of personal politically correct baggage of my own (if I can term it such).

It is a good book and I recommend it. Just know that you'll have some uncomfortable moments as you get used to the beginning.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2012 1:54 PM PST

Pfaltzgraff Tea Rose 16-Piece Dinnerware Set (Service for 4)
Pfaltzgraff Tea Rose 16-Piece Dinnerware Set (Service for 4)
2 used & new from $115.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I must admit that Pfaltzgraff puts out a good product and has..., June 3, 2010
...done so for a very long time. The dinnerware set is very sturdy and is dishwasher safe which makes it perfect for family use. With the pretty Tea Rose pattern to decorate it the set could be used for a light company dinner. The coffee mugs hold a lot of coffee and are easily held by the handle even when really full. Good balance and it is nice that you don't have to use a saucer with them. I like the scalloped edge on the plates. The cereal bowl/soup bowls hold a good portion and are deep enough that you don't have to worry about liquids spilling.

Magnolia Brush Galvanized Round Tubs - 16.91qt galvanized tub
Magnolia Brush Galvanized Round Tubs - 16.91qt galvanized tub
Offered by Independence Fulfillment Services
Price: $23.80
9 used & new from $10.83

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magnolia Brush tub has turned out to be a good buy..., June 3, 2010
for me. A galvanized tub usually equates with strength. I hope for many years of use from this product. Although the
tub appears to be very lightweight it is sturdy enough to hold up under gallons of water, dirt, or whatever. It reminds me a lot of the old washtubs my grandmother used. Of course, it is much prettier (at least for a tub). The handle (bail) seems strong enough. I use it to water tomatoes, soak my feet on the porch after a long summer day working in the garden, scrub the kitchen floor, or wash the walls or the car.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2011 4:24 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the steady tick-tock of the Brookwood Wall Clock., June 3, 2010
And the sound of the melodic chimes transport you into a more gracious and genteel time, when life was not measured by how much you earned, but by how well you treated others.

The clock is well-made and very easy to assemble. I did not have to use a level to ensure its proper operation, but I may have been lucky in that aspect. This clock chimes on the half hour and on the hour and I have found myself counting chimes (when elsewhere in the house) which I imagine our grandparents used to do. It is no problem to wind it when needed. It beats changing batteries and it is environmentally friendly in that way. My guests love the rich patina of the case and the sound of the chimes and do not believe that I found it here on Amazon. Do not hesitate: Buy this clock! You will not be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3