Profile for J. Donaldson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 569

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Donaldson "Cal-diver" RSS Feed (Redding, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer - Win
Price: $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as usual for me., March 2, 2015
I've read the complaints about TurboTax this year but they don't involve me as I've purchased the Premier version for several years.

As always TurboTax has served me well this year. It has the same interface as past years with a few tweaks for the health care process. I was able to complete our taxes in a few days, less each year as our personal tax complexities have been reduced.

The only complaint I have is when I re-enter a section to add more detail or make some corrections TurboTax has a tendency to re-ask several questions, and sometimes has forgotten the answers I gave the first time I went through that same section.

The other irritation is, while the federal return is free to file, I had to pay $19.99 to efile my state taxes. I wish that was also free. There is no good reason for that charge other than Intuit wants to make some more money from me. It especially hurts that I only owed the state $9.

We've used Quicken since 1991 for our home budgeting. I don't import data from Quicken into TurboTax because the requirements to make my Quicken data detailed enough, all year, for tax purposes just isn't worth the bother. I simply enter the data by hand or download it when possible.

Melissa & Doug Don't Be Greedy Game
Melissa & Doug Don't Be Greedy Game
Price: $17.98
17 used & new from $12.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for the young ones., March 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The box says Age 4+. I think that is about right. Of course anyone somewhat older will be playing just for the fun of the younger child. This wouldn't hold the attention of those eight years old or older in my opinion.

As soon as I opened the package my five year old son was excited by all of the jewels. Good start. After extracting the jewels from the packaging we grabbed the white instruction sheet and began to setup and play the game. The game went well and my son was the winner so all went well. I'm sure we'll play again. We played with three people. I think three or four would be much more fun than just two players. However we played the game wrong.

The thing I would want the manufacturers to change is the instruction sheet in the box. The white sheet in the box, containing instructions was misleading and incomplete. The instructions on the outside of the box were much better and quite different. So if you buy this product simply toss the white sheet out and keep the box. The instructions and game are quite simple.

The little treasure boxes are a nice touch and seem to be made with a sturdy flexible plastic. I pulled a lid off one of the chests and was able to snap it back on easily.

The price is just a bit high at $18. I think $10-12 might be a better value.

Designer Protein Lite Powder, Chocolate Cookies and Cream, 9.03 Ounce
Designer Protein Lite Powder, Chocolate Cookies and Cream, 9.03 Ounce
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste, March 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I must preface this review by saying I have not tasted a protein powder drink before. They may all have a particular taste that I'm not accustomed to. I selected this Vine product thinking it might replace the drink I have every night.

The first criteria is taste. Now taste is subjective, and as I said this is my first protein drink. I didn't like it, nor did my adult daughter. It has a chalky taste and consistency. You may feel quite differently so don't use my rejection as a sign it won't taste good to you. Perhaps it is an acquired taste. I did read that many other reviewers though the taste was good.

Nowhere on this power container does it suggest or reject the idea that this is to be consumed hot. But that is the way I tried it first. This product simply does not dissolve in hot water. Even after a few minutes of trying to stir it and squash the chocolate globs into the side of the cup it will not mix. When I poured it into the sink there was a mix of brown colored water and globs of chocolate. So on to cold water.

The product dissolves rapidly in cold water. The resulting drink is rather watery looking. I've already commented on the taste. When I poured the cold mixture into the sink there was clearly a fine sand look to the residue so it actually didn't mix well with water.

If this is similar to all protein power mixes and you are used to the taste, consistency, and chaulky mix then this may actually be a good tasting and pleasing drink for you. For those, like me, who are trying a drink like this for the first time it may take some getting used to.

D'Addario Clip-On Headstock Tuner
D'Addario Clip-On Headstock Tuner
Price: $29.99
7 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered this from Amazon Vine because my 20 year old son, who lives with us, has five guitars and plays daily. He already had a tuner but the arm which holds it onto the head of the guitar was loose. We received the D'Addario today and my son tried it out right away.

He used it on his 5-string bass guitar. The first thing he noticed was the D'Addario is about 1/2 the size of his old one. Then he saw that the D'Addario automatically adjusted to a base guitar while his old one required him to select a mode for bass. The next thing he noticed was the D'Addario provided for sharps and flats which the old one didn't.

He said the display was easy to read, and the display will flip 180 degrees if you have to clip it upside-down. The display also rotates for your preferred viewing angle. It worked well for every string on that guitar.

I asked my son which tuner he would use going forward. He said the D'Addario.

There are a lot of these headstock tuners on the market, many priced below this one but none of them, including this one, are very expensive. The question is do they work. This one does.

We recommend this tuner.

RAVPower® Xtreme 23000mAh 3-Port Portable External Battery Charger with Multi-Voltage (9V/12V/16V/19V/20V - LCD Display) for Apple Macbook, UltraBook, Digital Cameras, Camcorder,Surface Tablets,Asus Tablets,Acer Tablets,HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Toshiba Netbooks Laptops,iPhone 6,iPhone 6 plus,iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, 5, 4, 3, 2, Retina iPad Mini 2, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 2, Note 3, Galaxy Tab and any other devices (Apple adapters - 30 pin and lightning, Apple T/L Head Connector Tips, not included)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $299.99
8 used & new from $92.98

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., February 28, 2015
So far so good.

I just received this power pack today. It came 91% charged. I plugged it in and it charged to 100% in about 45 minutes. My laptop, which has a 4,800mAh battery was at 8% charge when I shut it down. I plugged the RAVPower into the computer. About 1 1/2 hours later the RAVPro is at 56% and the computer shows 79% charged.

I spent a bit of time figuring out how much power I needed from a portable battery to fully charge my laptop before buying this one. A single full charge for my laptop is all I expected, and need, for a 12 hour flight coming up. It seems the RAVPower is going to accomplish that without a problem. I calculated that a 20,000 mAh battery, also available as a large external battery, wouldn't have been enough. Now I should get about 4-5 hours out of my laptop internal battery, charge it over two hours, then get another 4-5 hours out of the laptop again. I doubt if I'll use the laptop that many hours on the flight but at least I won't stop because I ran out of power.

The RAVPower came in a nicely designed package. Here's a clue if you buy one. Rip off the outer thick paper covering to expose the cloth covered box and it will open easily. Fortunately for me all of the connectors in the box contained just the one I needed to adapt the supplied cable to my laptop. I also appreciate that they included a soft bag to protect the battery, which also contains a pocket to store the some cables and adapters.

As others have said the LCD display is nice with a bar graph, percent remaining, and what voltage is selected for the DC Output port (19V in my case). The LCD turns on as soon as a cable is plugged in and shuts off when no cables are plugged in.

To change the DC Output voltage hold down the power button until the "v" flashes. Then click the power button until you select the voltage you want. The flashing v will stop by itself.

The RAVPower has a brushed aluminum top that looks nice and seems to somewhat resist fingerprints. The sides and bottom also look nice, are shiny, but are fingerprint magnets (if you care).

So far I'm pleased with the RAVPower. It should serve me well on this upcoming trip, and I'll be able to use it for charging other devices on the road on other trips. I've found that when I charge my phone in the car, with the car's 12V power outlet, and listen to music from the phone there is a noise in the speakers from the 12V system. Using this RAVPower I'll be able to power the smartphone from the battery rather than the car, and it will last a very long time.

It finally took a little over 2 hours to charge my laptop from 8% to 99% using the RAVPower, and the RAVPower still had 38% left. I should be able to charge my smartphone, and GoPro batteries with this too after fully charging my laptop. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I recommend this portable battery.

eTopLighting (10) Bulbs, 120V 100W Halogen Replacement Bulb, E11 Base, 120V 100W, Mini Candelabra
Offered by KimOutlet
Price: $17.50
4 used & new from $17.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect match, February 26, 2015
We moved into a house with a bathroom fixture having three of these bulbs. They are nice and bright. Unfortunately they blow out at a rate of at least one per year or perhaps quicker. I'd much rather have an LED based fixture.

As for buying the bulbs here on Amazon this was a win for me. I've paid between $5 and $10 for single bulbs. I do like to support local stores but when these worked out to about $1.75 per bulb I couldn't resist.

These bulbs are an exact match for me. I screwed one in and it works fine and has the same brightness as the other two bulbs next to it. I believe they are truely 100W. I now have a 10 year supply!

Dyson DC65 Animal Plus Upright Vacuum
Dyson DC65 Animal Plus Upright Vacuum
Offered by ABC Vacuum
Price: $449.99
4 used & new from $369.00

4.0 out of 5 stars We wouldn't buy another brand except Dyson, February 24, 2015
We did not buy this on Amazon.

We've had a Dyson Absolute for 8 years that has worked perfectly all of those years. Indeed it does not lose suction even as the bin fills. I never had to replace a belt or do any repairs. Finally the brush motor stopped working. I bought repair parts and fixed it but relegated that model to the garage for use cleaning the cars.

This DC65 is smaller, much quieter, and more powerful. When I saw the new "ball" technology a couple of years ago I thought it was a gimmick. Now that we've had it I see that it is not a gimmick and really does help with turning corners. It helps to somewhat prevent that back and forth motion of all other vacuums we've had.

As for being bag-less I hear people say they wouldn't want to deal with the dirt and dust and prefer a bag type vacuum. We've had bag vacuums in the past and I still managed to get some dust on myself when removing the full bag. With this Dyson you remove the canister from the vacuum with a single button push, you then hold the canister in the trash bin and push another button. All of the dust and dirt falls out of the bottom. There really is very little mess. And you don't have to ever buy bags again.

Pros:

- Smaller than the Absolute.

- Light weight

- Easy to roll around

- Long power cord

- Most often used attachments are on the vacuum

- Switch from carpet to bare floor mode with the push of a button on the handle

- Switch from floor model to handle extension easily and quickly.

- Lots of vacuum power

Cons:

- The extendable handle is a little more difficult to use than our Absolute model.

- The attachments on the Absolute were a bit better. There was a better brush tool on the Absolute. This one is a bit small and does not have as many bristles.

TP-LINK UH720 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 2 Exclusive Smart Charging Ports Optimally Charge Your iOS (iPad/iPhone) and Android (Tablet/Phone), Supports Windows, Mac OS X and Linux Systems, Backwards Compatible with USB 2.0, No Driver Required, Plug and Play
Price: $50.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect, February 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First I just want to point out that this Amazon page has two products; a 7 port hub, and a 7 port hub with 2 smart charging ports. It's important to know this when reading through reader comments. I would have preferred Amazon broke these into two separate pages so they wouldn't be confused.

This review is for the hub with the 2 charging ports.

I highly recommend this TP-LINK hub. I have two other TP-LINK products that I find reasonably priced, designed well, and work well for me. I will continue to look at TP-LINK products when I have the need.

I already had a 7 port hub. Believe it or not I find times when 7 ports isn't enough so this helps of course by adding 7 more ports for me. But much more than that it is USB 3.0 and has the two extra charging ports. My current 7 port hub has been great. It has allowed me to plug devices into it that have instruction sheets that clearly state something like, "do not plug this into a hub, but rather directly into the computer." That little hub hasn't failed me in over a year of use. But...

The current 7 port hub is only USB 2.0. I do backups through it and do very much appreciate the added throughput of USB 3.0. When I bought that previous hub I simply couldn't find a decent (or properly priced) 3.0 hub. This TP-LINK has improved my situation greatly.

I like the design with all 7 ports along one side. My other 7 port hub has the ports scattered over 3 surfaces, and two of those ports are on a side that I can't see (the port is Velcro'd to the inside of my computer cabinet). Having them all on one side makes them easy to see and access.

There is a small LED light on top of each port indicating something is plugged into that port. The lights are dim and small so they aren't obnoxious. I have mounted my hub on the wall of my computer cabinet so all 9 USB ports are easily accessible, and I can see the lights easily. Just for completeness I will mention that the two power-only USB ports (no data) do not have lights on them.

The big bonus is this is an AC powered hub with those two extra "charge only" ports. They are both capable of 2.1A so they will charge some devices quicker, and they are not data ports which is great. I have some devices that are not data devices and all I want to do is charge them. But when I plug them into the data ports the computer thinks I want to transfer data so it tries to mount them. They won't mount and I get an audible tone indicating the fail, then the computer attempts to mount it again. I get a repetitive tone about every 2 seconds. So I simply can't charge those devices from the hub and have to plug them into an AC outlet somewhere else in the house.

My only complaint is there is a power button. Several times already I've panicked wondering why some of my devices weren't working, only to discover the power was off on the hub. Every other device I have comes up when I power up my computer cabinet. This is the only device that requires an extra step for me to power it up.

Many people have complained about the size of the power brick. 1) It supplies 4A of current so it must be large. 2) it is smaller than most power bricks for laptops. Some buyers have complained that the power brick takes up two slots on their power strips. This indicates that the brick itself has the two or three prong AC connector. My hub arrived with a different design of the power brick. My power brick has a cable to attach to the hub, and a second short cable with a standard 3 prong plug on the end. Perhaps this is a difference between the 7 port hub and the 7 port + 2 charge ports. The brick of mine does not plug into the power strip but rather the short AC cable is what plugs into the power strip so it doesn't take up two slots. I certainly hope this is the new design and all future hubs will be shipped with the brick design I have. I've attached a photo.

I highly recommend this hub.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ez2care Classy Adjustable Folding Cane with Carrying Case, Metallic Grey
Ez2care Classy Adjustable Folding Cane with Carrying Case, Metallic Grey
Offered by Comfytopia
Price: $12.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and decent cane, February 18, 2015
Length:: 0:24 Mins

February 24, 2015 UPDATE
One thing I've found that I don't like is that the hand strap doesn't have a slide-lock to keep it on my wrist. When I'm walking with the cane the hand strap keeps sliding off my hand. I solved the problem by twisting the strap until it tightened up on my wrist but I think it is a slight weakness in the overall design. I still like the cane though.

Original Review...

For the price this is a great buy.

I have no experience using a cane. But I have a marginal need for one. My wife actually made the suggestion. When I saw how inexpensive canes could be I decided to give one a try. As usual I count on Amazon buyer comments. This one had good reviews, and a great price.

I liked the idea of a folding cane in case I wanted to travel with it. We will be taking some airplane trips this year. I also liked this handle design over those with the "J" style handle.

My problem is an injury and subsequent surgery on my left foot from a collapsed ladder fall. The pain is greatly reduced after all this healing time but my foot has no feeling on the bottom left side. I must be very careful walking as I'm not sure where my foot is when I put it down. Sometimes I have to look down to see that my foot will land on a step or a good surface. Walking on an uneven terrain is challenging and walking down steps isn't easy. When I walk for more than 1/2 mile I begin to experience pain at the 3 to 5 pain level. The cane already seems to help and I'm actually tempted to use it more often than previously planned.

This cane is more stable than it looks. The sections are just over 1/2" in diameter but the metal thickness seems thick enough to be strong. I would guess someone who uses a cane all of the time might feel more comfortable with a more substantial design. This one seems good for limited use. I weigh about 230 pounds and I think it is adequate for me. Also I'm about 5'10" tall and have the adjustment at the second hole from the bottom so there is ample extension for a taller person. I don't think anyone under about 5'6" would find this short enough. I watched a youtube video on how to adjust the height for proper use.

Most of the reviews for this cane were quite positive. Several reviews I read complained about it being difficult to take apart for storage. I found one procedure worked best for me. If I pull the lowest section apart first, then work my way up, it was best. This is due to the elastic strap inside the cane. If I start from the top there didn't seem to be enough elastic left for the bottom section. Sometimes I couldn't actually pull the bottom section apart because the elastic was at it's stretch limit and wouldn't let me pull any more. Doing it bottom up worked better as the top section has a longer portion of the elastic material.

One reviewer said their cane only had one elastic strap inside. Mine has two. I suspect his was not assembled correctly at the factory.

I've attached a short video showing my 4 year old son taking the cane apart, then opening it for use. He's a pretty capable little 4-year-old but when we took the video the cane had only arrived about an hour earlier so it's not like he had a lot of practice.

I paid less than $13 for the grey version of this cane. If the rubber tip goes bad or the elastic breaks I'll just buy another. So inexpensive why not have a new one rather than a fixed old one!

For the price I find it hard to beat the practicality of this cane. I highly recommend it.

Slide-Co Nyl Wardrobe Flr Guide (Pack Of 6) 16451 Closet Door Hardware
Slide-Co Nyl Wardrobe Flr Guide (Pack Of 6) 16451 Closet Door Hardware
Offered by toolboxsupply
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be a better solution., February 18, 2015
My son brought me a broken slide bypass from his room. I had a choice to drive a few miles to the nearest hardware store and hope they had a replacement, or see if Amazon had one. So without leaving my seat I ordered this six pack and amazingly it arrived the next day.

I have no idea how much these cost at the local hardware but I saved some gas and time buying this product. For under $10 I have six of them now in case others in the house break. We have four sliding closet doors so I will likely make good use of these over time.

The Slide-Co Guide measurements on the Amazon page matched my broken one exactly so I knew I was getting the right product. I had it installed within about five minutes after the Amazon package arrived at our door.

I suppose the only way this could be better is if the product was made of stronger material but then it wouldn't be offered six in a package for under $10.

If this is what you need then I highly recommend this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20