Profile for J. Donaldson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 474

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Donaldson "Cal-diver" RSS Feed (Redding, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cree 9.5-Watt (60W) Soft/Warm White (2700K) LED Light Bulb
Cree 9.5-Watt (60W) Soft/Warm White (2700K) LED Light Bulb
Offered by LED Lighthouse Inc
Price: $11.46
28 used & new from $4.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price but some of these bulbs buzz., August 8, 2014
I purchased a 4 pack of these at HD for $9.75 each. I loaded them into a new ceiling fan with a wireless remote on/off/dimmer. Two of the bulbs buzzed but not too loudly.

We have a 6 bulb chandelier and the 4 bulb ceiling fan, all 10 bulbs are loaded with these Cree 9.5W bulbs. When I installed the ceiling fan and light fixture I noticed the buzzing. The bulbs buzzed at 100% or any dimmer setting. I realized the buzzing might bother my wife so I got up on a chair and listened to each bulb. Two bulbs were silent while the other two were buzzing. I took the two that buzzed and swapped them with the quietest ones I could find in the chandelier which we don't use too often. Now the ceiling fan is almost silent.

So the buzzing is bulb dependent. It seems to be a manufacturing or design fault. The chandelier now has six buzzing bulbs but even with all six the sound isn't so strong that I will do anything about it.

Other than that I really like these bulbs for the traditional incandescent shape, color, size, and price.

Hunter Fan 99145 Four Light Fitter, White
Hunter Fan 99145 Four Light Fitter, White
Price: $54.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits and works well, August 6, 2014
I first ordered and had to return a non Hunter light kit that I had purchased to go with our new Hunter ceiling fan. Little did I know that the ceiling fan industry doesn't seem to have any standards and the first kit I had purchased wouldn't fit the Hunter fan. I then ordered this Hunter light kit for the Hunter ceiling fan.

It installed quite easily, and of course fits perfectly as designed.

4 small CFL bulbs came with the fixture, but they were of the non-dimmable variety. I replaced them with Cree LED bulbs. The bulbs and fan are controlled from a remote I purchased and added to the fan fixture.

We just couldn't find the combination of color, design, fan blade length, and light fixture that we wanted at either Lowes or Home Depot. So we ordered everything in pieces and ended up with the fan and light set we wanted. It was more expensive this way but the higher priority was the final product for us.

The quality of the fixture is good. It was packaged well. There were no blemishes or marks.

I recommend this light fixture. Check the Hunter web site for a match. I did end up calling Hunter to verify that this would fit the model number of my fan.

Westinghouse 77841, Four Speed and Light Dimming Touch Screen Remote, Black
Westinghouse 77841, Four Speed and Light Dimming Touch Screen Remote, Black
Offered by Del Mar Designs
Price: $53.36
2 used & new from $47.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with LED bulbs., August 6, 2014
Works fine. I bought this based on comments of others that it would work with LED bulbs. Our house has about 1/2 CFLs and 1/2 LED. I prefer LED overall.

In fact the dimmer does work well with LED bulbs. It controls the fan with four speed settings, and can dim the LEDs. I loaded 4 CREE 9.5W (60W equivalent) bulbs into our ceiling fan light fixture. They do have a slight buzz but I suppose that is due to the bulbs rather than this product being reviewed.

The remote installed easily; about the same as any fan remote. (Don't do as I did. Don't even try non-dimmable CFL bulbs as they will upset the fan/light operation).

I don't see any advantage of the LCD touch screen over physical buttons. In fact I removed one star because one must first touch the screen to illuminate the screen before any of the screen features will work. That is an extra step compared to a remote with physical buttons.

The remote looks nice and I appreciate the modern technology, save for the above comment.

I would recommend this device.

[NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker® 2 x 2200mAh Li-ion Batteries for Samsung Galaxy S3, I9300, T999 (T-Mobile), I747 (AT&T), I535 (Verizon), R530 (U.S.Cellular), L710 (Sprint), fits EB-L1G6LLU, NFC/Google Wallet Capable, with Anker® Travel Charger [18-Month Warranty]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Spare batteries, August 6, 2014
I've checked both batteries which perform as good or better than the original Samsung S3 battery. Having an external charger is a real plus. I believe Anker makes good products and these two batteries and charger are good examples.

Vent Cap and Adjustable Pole Combo
Vent Cap and Adjustable Pole Combo
Offered by Northstar Canvas Products
Price: $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice inexpensive combo., July 25, 2014
Nice combo. I bought two of the Vent Caps but later bought the poles. The total cost of buying them individually is much higher than this combo. The quality of the vent is quite good.

The vent is easy to install, once you get over the emotion of cutting a hole in your boat cover. My cover was so air tight that there were gas fumes under the cover. The vents didn't eliminate that completely but it is much better now.

The poles fit in the bottom of the vent which keeps the pole from slipping.

I have an elaborate set of anti-pooling poles with four straps to help keep the cover from collecting water. But it takes a while to install that set. For the summer, when we get very little rain in California, this vent / pole arrangement works out quite well and is easier to install and take down.

Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case CHALLENGER-U3 Black
Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case CHALLENGER-U3 Black
Price: $59.99
15 used & new from $54.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice case with a few small negative points. Worthy of five stars., July 24, 2014
I'll give this case 5 stars even though there are a couple of things in my "Cons" list.

I was overwhelmed with the number of mid-tower cases on the market. I did mid-tower research online for a full 12 hours before running across this one. After rejecting so many others I was very pleased to find this one that had all of the features I had on my wish/need list.

As I keep my desktop computer case inside of a nice oak cabinet piece of furniture with doors I have size restrictions for the tower. I have a maximum depth of about 19". Many cases with the features I wanted were over 19.5". When I saw this one listed as Product Dimensions: 18.5 x 7.5 x 17.1 inches I was so pleased. Not only did I find a case I wanted but my hours and hours of searching finally came to an end. But the size listed here and on other web sites is unfortunately wrong.

Indeed the case is 17.1" tall, and 7.5" wide. But instead of 18.5" deep it is more like 19.125" deep. For most people that isn't an issue but it is for me. I can't close the doors of my cabinet without the danger of breaking an SD card which I have plugged in almost all of the time. I purchased a 90 degree AC power cord so I can push the case 1/2" more into my cabinet which will solve the problem. Had the depth dimension been off a full inch or more I would have had to enlarge the cable routing cutout in the back of my cabinet. But in the end the problem is solved.

What's good about this cabinet for me?

Pros:
- A power switch that is front mounted. My old mini-tower had a top mounted power switch and on numerous occasions I would shut the computer down just reaching up to rest my arm or to reach for something on top of the case.

- Three 5.25" front slots. I have a DVD drive in one, and a hot swap hard drive fixture in the second (I toggle between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 by switching hard drives - quick and simple). That would have been enough but I now have a spare slot should I decide to add another device.

- Two 3.5" front slots. I have a manual fan controller in one slot, and a memory card reader in the other slot. This case does not come with a memory card reader standard. The manual controller allows me to spin down the fans to keep the noise down. With as many as five fans the case has major cooling so full speed fans are not needed. If your motherboard has fan headers and BIOS control for five fans you are good to go; mine doesn't.

- Fans galore. My old case had room for only one case fan and it was a 90mm fan at that. This one comes with three fans and room for two more! I've already ordered the two extra fans. With so many fans I can move a lot of air with the fans running pretty slowly and keep the noise level down to a whisper.

- Cable management. My mini-tower had no cable management and was a rat's nets of wires. This case has sufficient slots to run all of the cables around the back. The new setup looks pretty nice and it is easier to manage if I want to add something new in the case. I don't even have a modular power supply but was still able to run all of the power cables and not have a mess.

- Power supply on the bottom - with rubber mounting. It never made sense to me that the power supply was on the top. The other good news is the power supply fan faces the bottom of the cabinet where there is ample air flow due to the 15/8" feet on the case. By the way the height of the case is still 17.1" including the feet.

- A top fan. The way my CPU and CPU cooler (Cooler Master 212 EVO) are mounted the top case fan is directly above the cooler so the CPU heat goes right out of the case. The main reason I changed from a mini-tower to a mid-tower was to use the Cooler Master 212 EVO. I couldn't even use a liquid cooler in the old case because there was insufficient space for a liquid cooler radiator and fan. This case will work with either.

- Screw-less design for drives. That is a nice feature but I don't find using screws all that difficult. Now if they wanted to make the motherboard mount screw-less that would be something really nice.

- Mounts ATX or microATX boards. My current board is microATX but I expect to upgrade in a few months and the new motherboard will be an ATX. I needed this flexibility for current needs and future expansion.

- 2.5" SSD adapter for two drives. I don't have the cash right now but a 240GB SSD makes perfect sense in my case. I use a second 2TB drive for all of my data so I don't need the C drive to be too big.

- Quite a reasonable price at the $60 I paid for it. I looked at and was willing to pay $100 more for the right case.

- USB 3.0 on the front panel. I can't use them right now as my current 7 year old motherboard doesn't have 3.0. But my future expansion plans do include 3.0. I just don't know why USB 2.0 is still available as 3.0 is backward compatible, and 10x faster.

Cons:
- Removing the front panel is accomplished by grabbing the bottom of the front panel and pulling forward, away from the case. I had to exert quite a lot of pull to make the front panel pop off, much more effort than was comfortable. I'm not sure how many times the small keepers that hold the front panel on will last if I had to take the front panel off again. This is no small issue. What would my case look like with the front panel hanging off!!! I read where a few people received their new case with the front panel mounts, all six of them, already broken off. I think Rosewill needs to do a redesign here.

- Removing the side panels was also difficult and there was nothing to grab onto to pull with. Other cases have a bent portion of the back edge of the side panel that acts like a handle. Rosewill would do us all a favor if they would make this little design change.

- The case dimensions were incorrectly stated as 18.5" deep. The correct dimension is more like 19.125".

- While I was able to make good use of cable management I think two changes in design would be a big help. 1) There is a vertical metal separator between the area of the front drive bays and front panel bays and the rest of the case. That vertical member extends from the top of the case down about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way down where it stops. That vertical member hinders cable management. 2) Many cases offered by different manufacturers put a designed in bulge on the back panel. This of course makes the cabinet wider but only by about 1/2". That bulge makes cable management oh so much easier. I had a dickens of a time getting the back panel back onto the case. There was no way I could better position all of the excess cable as there were insufficient tie down points.

- Plugging my earphones (Apple Earpods) into the front panel jack takes A LOT of force. I'm afraid I'm going to break the jack.

None of those "Cons" were enough for me to dislike the cabinet or take any stars off.

I highly recommend this case.

AMD Socket AM3/AM2+/AM2/1207/939/940/754 Copper Base/Alum Heat Sink & 2.75" Fan w/Heatpipes & 4-Pin Connector
Offered by VT-STAR
Price: $15.99
9 used & new from $10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars No improvement over my stock CPU cooler., July 14, 2014
I installed this cooler on an AMD Phenom X4 that I've been having some trouble with. The CPU has been running hot and the motherboard would crank up the CPU fan to max RPMs to cool it which was unbearably noisy. I've had the computer for 7 years but this problem is new for the past couple of months. I needed to have a better cooler so the CPU wouldn't get so hot, then the fan wouldn't make so much noise. I know the CPU may be failing but I hoped to squeeze out a few more months of use.

This cooler is smaller than I thought it was going to be. The fan is smaller than the 90mm fan that was on the stock cooler in my HP p6130f computer. Also, given the heat pipe design, it doesn't work any better than the stock cooler that is just a standard aluminum grille. I was hoping for a 5-10 degree C drop in CPU temp but it didn't happen. I don't see any increase or decrease in cooling capability with this cooler.

I do believe the heat pipe design works well, it's the fan that is inadequate. I now have a 120mm fan just loosely sitting on the floor of my computer case, blowing at the AMD socket cooler, and now my CPU temp dropped 6 degrees C.

I wanted to try a liquid cooler but they all have 120mm fans which won't fit in my case. I bought a larger cooler with two fans but my case is too small for that one. Looks like my next step is to buy a mid-tower so I can fit a better cooler. I may be forced to replace the motherboard and do a full upgrade.

Anyway as I said this cooler didn't change my situation at all. It doesn't work any better than the stock cooler.

I do not recommend this AMD cooler.

Zalman Fan Speed Controller FANMATE-2
Zalman Fan Speed Controller FANMATE-2
Offered by LLYtech
Price: $6.35
25 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me., July 14, 2014
I'm sure this is a good product from the many reviews I've read. But for some reason it doesn't work for me. The fan, which works fine when connected to the motherboard, simply doesn't turn at all using this controller. It isn't the specific controller either as I purchased two and neither work. I'm going to hang on to them in case I need them on a new computer build I"m working on. Perhaps they will work with different fans.

Scythe Kaze Q 3.5" Fan Controller - KQ01-BK-3.5
Scythe Kaze Q 3.5" Fan Controller - KQ01-BK-3.5
Offered by Platinum Micro, Inc.
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., July 14, 2014
The fan controller works fine. I now can set my computer fans to be quiet if the computer isn't doing anything excessive, or crank up the fans when I need more cooling even though that comes with more noise.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Price: $31.99
81 used & new from $27.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy. Please read many 1, 2 and 3 star reviews before ordering this one., July 9, 2014
This is way too heavy to mount on my motherboard. After receiving it I was much too concerned about the weight factor damaging my motherboard. My CPU is vertical so all of this weight would be hanging off to the side. Then I began to look at the list of 1 and 2 star reviews and learned that many people had screws break off and the mount not being tight enough for the tubes to make good contact with the CPU, which again I related to weight. Heck even the 3 star reviews aren't encouraging. I blame myself for not digging deeper.

I have a CPU / Motherboard problem that is driving me crazy. The computer has been whisper quiet for 6 years. Now the CPU slightly overheats (58C), the motherboard mis-reads and kicks the CPU fan from minimum speed to max RPMs, at a sound level that is quite unpleasant, for about 45 seconds every 5 minutes or so during which time I don't see the CPU temp change. I've tried fan controllers, dual fans, looked into liquid cooling, but nothing works. I hate to spend on a new motherboard, CPU, and memory just because of a noisy fan. I thought the 212EVO would be the answer.

My main concern is keeping the CPU cool (no overclocking here) but I need it to be quiet as the tower sits right next to my display. Then I read about noisy fans and many fan failures.

In the end I was just going to send it back but... I paid $20.20 for it and Amazon quoted $9.95 to ship it back. It will cost me about $5 in gas to bring it to the nearest UPS store too. So I'm just keeping it and eating the $20. I'm not even going to try to install it. I should have read more of the 1, 2 and 3 star reviews but the star graph showed that many people were happy with this so I didn't read enough of the reviews. My fault.

This cooler is also very tall and would not fit inside my case. I normally don't leave the side of the case on anyway, so I was willing to deal with that issue.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20