Profile for J. Donaldson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 608

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Donaldson "Cal-diver" RSS Feed (Redding, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
303 (30324) Rubber Seal Protectant - 3.4 fl. oz.
303 (30324) Rubber Seal Protectant - 3.4 fl. oz.
Price: $9.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, May 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of the best Vine products I've received for review. I'm already a user of 303 products. I was glad to see this offering.

We have two cars, one 7 years old and one 9 years old. I like to keep them in good condition. When I wash the cars I always make sure to wash the door jams and I clean the rubber door gaskets too. It's great to have an easy to apply 303 product to keep those gaskets in good condition.

The applicator is exactly like some white shoe applicators I have with a sponge tip. Just remove the clear cap, lightly press down, and apply the product. The sponge applicator is perfect for getting into the folds of the door gasket and the curved surface too.

I applied one coat of 303 to the doors of both cars, including the hatchbacks, in under 20 minutes.

I highly recommend this product.

Scotts Outdoor Cleaner Plus OxiClean, One-Gallon Concentrate
Scotts Outdoor Cleaner Plus OxiClean, One-Gallon Concentrate
Price: $9.98

2.0 out of 5 stars I would not buy this product, May 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had two perfect applications for this Scotts Outdoor Cleaner Plus OxiCleaner, both outdoor needs. One is the Bimini cover for our boat. We keep our boat in tip-top condition so I was disappointed when I found water had gotten into the boat during a rainstorm over the winter. I did a lot of cleaning to get rid of mold and mildew on the boat seats but didn't notice the mold and mildew on the Bimini until we took the boat out on the lake for the first time in 2015. So this product was offered at the perfect time for us.

I removed the Bimini from the boat so I could lay it down flat which would allow the Cleaner to work best on the underside of the material. That way the Cleaner could do it's job without running off the Bimini. I mixed the Cleaner with water exactly as described on the back of the container. I then applied it liberally, with a sponge, to the entire Bimini cover on the bottom side where all of the mold and mildew was. I let it sit for five minutes, making sure it didn't dry out during that time. I then used the hose to wash it off. Nothing. There was no apparent cleaning action at all. The dark and light spots were still on the blue Bimini.

I repeated the process using the stronger formula prescribed on the back of the container, this time allowing 10 - 15 minutes for it to work, all the while making sure to keep it wet, Still nothing. There were still black and white spots all over the Bimini as before and I could see no apparent change.

I thought I would give the product a second chance. About 6 months ago I had spent 12 hours sanding and staining our 8' x 16' redwood deck. The deck had some appreciable dirt left from the winter. Again I thought this was a perfect application for the Scotts Cleaner. This time I didn't trust the product to work simply as an "apply and wait" solution. I used a sponge to liberally apply the product to a 4' x 4' area of the deck. I waited about two minutes then I used a scrub brush with some additional Scotts Cleaner, then I let it sit for about 5 minutes. I followed up by washing the area with the hose, and let it dry. Inspecting it about an hour later there was a slight change to the 4' x 4' area but no significant cleaning occurred. If someone else had walked onto the deck I'm sure they would not notice that 4' x 4' area as being any different than the rest of the deck. I guessed I would have had the same effect with simple water and the scrub brush.

Dirty Sunbrella material and deck won these two rounds; Scotts Ourdoor Cleaner Plus OxiClean lost.

By the way I then purchased some mold, mildew, and algae spray with bleach at the local hardware store and it quickly and easily cleaned my Bimini Sunbrella material in one application.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of this product. I'll give it a shot on the concrete where my son spilled some dirty oil from his motorcycle. Other than that I don't know.

I do not recommend this product.

Premium Mybat Tempered Glass Screen Protector Shield For Samsung Galaxy S3 S 3 SIII (i747/L710/T999/i535/R530/i9300) (T-Mobile Metro Pcs AT&T Verizon Sprint)+ [World Acc] TM Brand Stylus Pen + Dust Cap Gift
Offered by World Accessory
Price: $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, smooth surface., May 25, 2015
May 28, 2015
I received and installed the MyBat on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm very pleased with it. It installed just as easily as the one on my Nokia Lumia 635. I was careful to clean the phone, wash my hands, and clean the work table. It took less than two minutes to install and there are no bubbles or small items trapped under the glass.

As a few others wrote the MyBat Tempered Glass Screen Protector for the Galaxy S3 is much smaller than the screen by about 1/8" all around. That certainly doesn't sound good but I think it was a wise design by MyBat. The edges of the Galaxy S3 are curved. If the flat glass extended to the edges it would not touch the screen at the edge and it would be very easy to catch the edge of the glass and either chip it or lift the protector. I just want to protect the part of the screen which displays images, not the outer area that remains dark; this protector does that quite well.

Original Review...
I really like how smooth the glass surface of this protector is. I put one on my Nokia Lumia 635 smartphone and used it for a few weeks. I liked it so much I've now ordered one for my Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've been using Armorsuit protectors for a couple of years. They are applied wet which I like because I can slide the Armorsuit around until it is positioned perfectly. However this MyBat is the easiest protector I've ever installed.

I followed the directions, cleaning the screen with the supplied cloth first. I removed the #1 cover, held the protector over the smartphone screen until it was aligned correctly, then I just slowly and carefully lowered it into place. I applied zero pressure while the protector settled onto the screen with no bubbles. I then used the supplied cloth, wiping it over the surface with a little pressure, to make sure the protector was firmly attached. I then pulled off the blue #2 cover and was done. It was ready for use.

NCIS: Season 6
NCIS: Season 6
DVD ~ Mark Harmon
Price: $9.99
36 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars NCIS is our all time #1 favorite TV series, May 25, 2015
This review is from: NCIS: Season 6 (DVD)
NCIS is our all time #1 favorite TV series. It never seems to get old. The characters are more like family to us. The actors do a great job. We enjoy both the murder discovery process, and the humor that is part of most episodes.

We own Seasons 1-5 and have been watching them along with current episodes. It is really fun watching them over because we know so much more than we did watching them for the first time.

I suppose we will eventually own all of the seasons.

Zollipops Clean Teeth Pops, Anti Cavity Lollipops, Variety Pack, 25 Count
Zollipops Clean Teeth Pops, Anti Cavity Lollipops, Variety Pack, 25 Count
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Our son likes them, May 25, 2015
My dentist recommended these Zollipops for my five year old son. They actually said that not only would these not contribute to tooth decay but they would actually help to prevent decay.

They are a bit on the expensive side. The good news is our son likes them.

Black & Decker BDFC240 9.6 Volt to 24 Volt Battery Charger For NST1024 String Trimmer And NHT524 Hedge Trimmer
Price: $29.97
16 used & new from $24.72

5.0 out of 5 stars The right charger for the job., May 25, 2015
I have five Black & Decker tools that use the 18V battery. I purchased them starting back in 2011. While the batteries have lasted as long as four years I've learned that the charger is the biggest reason for battery failure.

I've had three different B&D chargers.

1) A small cap/connector that slides onto the battery to charge it. The instructions for this charger said to remove the charger from the battery when it is charged. I found that to be so inconvenient that I usually left this type of charger connected which over charged the battery and shortened it's life. After replacing two batteries I tossed this type of charger in the trash.

2) A three battery charger that came with a set of three 18V B&D tools. This charger seemed to work okay. I've left batteries charging on this unit all of the time when the batteries are not in use and the batteries have not been damaged. However this is not a quick charger.

3) This BDFC240 quick charger that is smart in that it reduces the charge power to a trickle when the battery is charged. This type is safe to leave the batteries on the charger all the time. I've had two of these for over a year and the batteries they've been charging are like new. So I purchased two more, for a total of four, and this is the only type of charger I have now.

The 18V B&D batteries are expensive. I felt it was appropriate to have the best charger so the batteries would last longer and would perform well over time.

I've had some of these 18V batteries last four years. I'm very pleased with this charger, the batteries, and the B&D tools (string trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, 10" chain pole saw, and 6" chain saw).

The quick charge version BDFC240 charges in an hour or less. There are times when I've burned through a battery and it is charged before I need it again on the same day.

The Proposal
The Proposal
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and light, May 17, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie even though it was completely predictable. I didn't care one bit that it was predictable. I always enjoy a romance. This movie was fun, a little over the top but not so much that it was silly.

Sandra Bullock is a family favorite and she was delightful in The Proposal. Betty White added a lot to the fun of the movie as did Craig T. Nelson. Ryan Reynolds was cast perfectly for his part too.

The Proposal is light, fun, and well paced for a romantic comedy.

To School Through the Fields: 25th Anniversary Illustrated Edition
To School Through the Fields: 25th Anniversary Illustrated Edition
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great combination author + subject., May 16, 2015
I just returned from a family oriented trip to Ireland for 10 days so this story had special meaning to me. While sitting in a 175 year old house that my Great Great Grandfather built I asked the current occupant, my 84 year old distant cousin, how would the ancestors have gotten to church and school back in 1890. The answer, "read the book To School Through the Fields." I later learned that this was the highest volume selling book ever written in Ireland.

I bought and downloaded the Kindle version of this book and couldn't put it down. The content was particularly interesting to me, but it was the prose that really makes me give this book five stars. There were a few times when I would read a sentence where the authors choice of words and the sentence structure were so good it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Each chapter is a story in itself, each one a piece of Alice Taylor's life as a little girl on a small farm in Ireland. I really felt drawn into each situation as if it was my own story.

What a combination, a truly gifted author, and a subject matter so very meaningful to me.

I highly recommend this book.

We Bought a Zoo
We Bought a Zoo
DVD ~ Matt Damon
Price: $7.50
37 used & new from $0.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family film., May 16, 2015
This review is from: We Bought a Zoo (DVD)
I rarely buy DVDs any longer because it is so easy to watch most movies on Amazon or Netflix without buying them. But occasionally I see one, like We Bought a Zoo, that I like so much I want to add it to our collection. I did purchase We Bought a Zoo on DVD.

Based on a true story this was a good family movie, although the younger ones wouldn't be able to follow the subtle meaning behind some of the dialog which was very important to the overall story. Our smart five year old wouldn't get it. I'd think 8 to 10 years old and up might be a better age. The story has a grief theme as the mother of the children has passed away before the story begins. That thread runs through the movie and is the foundation for the entire story.

I have several movies with Matt Damon but I feel this is his best role.

This is a heartwarming family movie with light touches on the problems that arise during the story. The story is totally believable, and it's packed with a great cast. I always like Thomas Hayden Church who had a smaller role in We Bought a Zoo.

Movie making is all about the director. A director can totally screw up a good story and acting, or can bring a poor story to life. Cameron Crowe did a bang up job on this one. I think he may have squeezed a bit more out of a decent story than most directors could have.

This isn't an animal-centric movie so don't expect that. It's much more about the people and their struggle to make the zoo work. It's fairly predictable but for me that's okay for a family film. There are lots of light touches for a good chuckle.

Why not 5 stars? I reserve that rating for nothing but the best movies. While this is a great family film it simply isn't a match for some of my true favorites (Shawshank Redemption, Casablanca, that sort of thing).

Premium Mybat Tempered Glass Screen Protector Shield For Nokia Lumia 635 (AT&T T-Mobile Metro Pcs)+ [World Acc] TM Brand Stylus Pen + Dust Cap Gift
Offered by World Accessory
Price: $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as glass, May 16, 2015
Update May 21, 2015
I've had the protector installed for about three weeks now. I've used the phone for about 4 to 6 hours a day and I've kept the phone in my shirt pocket or tossed on the table. The protector has held up well and showed no signs of marks or any other blemishes.

I've purchased and installed a replacement, being careful this time not to get crumbs under the tempered glass protector. It was the easiest screen protector installation I've ever done. I'm quite pleased with this product. So much so that I've now ordered another one for my main phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Original review...
I installed the Mybat glass protector on my Nokia Lumia 635 and I love it. It installed easily but I was careless and got three crumbs under the protector. It works fine but those three spots drive me crazy. I ordered a new one and I'll be more careful installing it the next time.

I've used the protector for about two weeks and what I really like is how my finger slides over the surface with no resistance. It is "smooth as glass", cleans up perfectly, is clear as could be, and the touch action is as good as the phone with no protector installed. The price is good as well. I've paid more for good screen protectors before.

I carry my phone in my shirt pocket where there is nothing to scratch the protector so I can't speak for how well it might hold up to having keys rub against it. I don't think I've dropped my phone since I've owned it so I can't speak for how well it would hold up to a drop to the floor either.

It fits perfectly with cutouts for the microphone and earphone. There are tiny imperfections along the very edge of the glass protector, perhaps they were there before I installed it, or perhaps they have happened since I installed it. In either case they are not an issue for me as they do not impact the performance at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20