Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Night Beds The Next Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for J. Donaldson > Reviews

Browse

J. Donaldson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 674

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Donaldson "Cal-diver" RSS Feed (Redding, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LeapFrog LeapReader Book Paw Patrol The Great Robot Rescue
LeapFrog LeapReader Book Paw Patrol The Great Robot Rescue
Price: $13.97
6 used & new from $13.97

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better, and reasonably affordable, products to come out of the LeapFrog company., August 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been quite positive on the quality of LeapPad products over the past couple of years, at the same time being very critical of the premium prices they ask for their apps/games. In my opinion the LeapReader may be the positive exception.

Much of the LeapFrog system including the software for the various tablets are WAY too expensive for what they provide. We simply do not buy titles because they are so darn expensive. This LeapPreader and the books are a different story.

First the pen itself is nicely priced in the $50 range. It has a built in battery (too bad it isn't user replaceable though), speaker, microphone jack, Home, Forward, Back, Play/Pause, and power buttons. It has something on the order of several hundred megabytes of storage which is a lot for audio only.

We home schooled our three children all they way from K-12. Teaching them to read was the single most important skill we could have taught them. All other educational skills have as their foundation good reading capacity. There are many reader teaching tools on the market, this is just one of them so don't think it is head and shoulders above some others. But for what it is it is pretty good.

Paying $25 for some of the titles on a LeapPad is pretty steep, especially for the limited learning many of them provide. But Paying $14 for the Paw Patrol book with audio included that teaches a child to learn reading is quite another thing. Next I will be ordering the six volume set Learn To Read Volume 1 for under $18 total.

My five-year-old learned to start to read in pre-schol, now he's just started kindergarten. He already can sound out many words and is rapidly going down the path of reading quite well. Still he can benefit from the Learn To Read Volume 1 set.

My only concern is the LeapReader is a mix of Whole Word and Phonics. Touch a word in the book with the pen and the word is spoken. By touching the yellow diamond the tool switches into a sound-it-out mode. But kids can ignore that mode. Frankly what kids want to do is have the story told to them and listening to the phonics isn't very much fun. So if they skip the phonics approach all they are getting is the While Word teaching style.

Whole Word is quite controversial. We first started home schooling our children when we learned the public schools in California were teaching Whole Word. At that time we pulled our daughter out of first grade and taught her to read using phonics. In 2005 the country of Australia, "endorsed the teaching of synthetic phonics, and discredited the whole language approach." It is a system we were not pleased with.

Whole Word means the child learns to recognize what a word is simply by seeing the word and learning it by sight. In the 1970's the State of California taught early grades to sight read about 1,000 words but those children were doomed when they had to move on to other words because they had no basis for sounding-them-out (phonics). The grades of thos students suffered when they hit Jr High and High School. Many of them had to be taught to read using phonics at that late date. It still remains controversial to this day. We do not endorse or encourage whole word teaching methods. In time we all do read that way, in the beginning of reading it does not equip children properly. Since our child attends a very good private school that teaches phonics, and we can lean towards the phonics tools available on the LeapReader we feel we can proceed with this utility.

This brings up an important aspect of the entire LeapFrog ecosystem. The way LeapFrog tools are created, with spoken instructions, children can happily go off and user their LeapPad or LeapReader all by themselves. As a baby-sitting tool this is great but it leaves the child to explore on their own, perhaps bypassing some of the more important parts of the tools you spent so much money on. We do allow our child to play with the tools by himself but we make certain to also sit with him to encourage him to work through the proper steps of learning with the LeapFrog products. They are both a blessing and a curse.

So as we, as a family, step into using the LeapFrog LeapReader we are pleased and encouraged to provide our son with this aid to supplement what the school is teaching. It will be interesting to see how long he continues to use the LeapReader. He only sticks with the LeapPad for a short time, then gets bored with it.

Of all of the LeapFrog products we feel this is the best tool they have produced. We tried the iMagicCard system but it was mostly a gimic and we won't be purchasing any of those titles again. On the other hand we may very well purchase a number of the LeapReader products.

Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner
Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner
Price: $199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Small tanks makes for many trips to the sink, cleans well., August 23, 2015
August 24, 2015
As promised here are my comments after doing some carpet cleaning today. I cleaned about 180 square feet of high traffic area in our house.

The Bissell 1548 worked fine, however my concerns were warranted. The fresh water tank, and especially the dirty water collection are too small. Not unlike other home carpet cleaning systems. I found that on the Deep Cleaning setting, following the instructions to make two "wet" passes and two vacuum passes, I had to refill the clean tank, and empty the dirty water tank, every 40-50 square feet. To me this is annoying. The back and forth to the sink simply happens way too often.

The collection tank is small to begin with. Then the automatic shut off system turns it off when the tank is less than 1/2 full. I will include a photo.

If you don't mind changing the water four times in a smaller than 15 square foot room then you may be pleased with the Bissell 1548.

I tried it on the Express Clean mode (much less cleaning solution applied) which would seem to last through a whole room, but I didn't think that did a good job of cleaning. Bissell recommends using the Deep Cleaning mode.

I can say one very positive thing about the Bissell 1548; the dual brush system works very well. I'm comparing it to the 7 year old Hoover F5880 we have. That Hoover's brushes were simply to little and too soft to do much scrubbing.

Other than the brushes I don't see anything that sets this product apart from other home carpet cleaners.

Now a few comparison comments between this Bissell and our old Hoover. Both seem to do an equally good job at cleaning the carpet and depositing dark dirty water in the collection tank.

- The old Hoover has better vacuum suction. It returns more water from the carpet than the Bissell.

- The old Hoover has a large cap for the clean water tank. Invert the cap, fill it with cleaning product, and dump it into the tank. This is easier than the Bissell which requires me to fill the hot water to a fill line (hard to tell when there is a foam in that tank), then fill to a second line with solution.

- It is easier to rinse the dirty water tank of the Hoover than the Bissell.

- The Bissell brush system is far superior to the old Hoover system.

- The overflow shut-off system for the dirty water tank works much better in the Bissell than the old Hoover.

I recommend this Bissell for those who don't mind exchanging water often. Still I find very little, other than the brushes, to differentiate this from other systems on the market. The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer, FH50150 is less expensive and receives high reviews on Amazon.com.

As for me I intend to donate my old Hoover, and this Bissell, to my offspring for their homes. I will be ordering a Bissell BISSELL Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner, 86T3/86T3Q for twice the price but way over twice the tank sizes.

Original Review
First Impressions after unpacking, assembling, and reading the operating instructions.

Pros:
1) Easy to assemble.
2) The tanks are easy to remove and reinstall.
3) I really like the two rotating brushes - this was a key point for me selecting this product.
4) Not that this is all that important but it is a nice looking machine.
5) Long power cord.
6) It has a bare floor mode
7) Hose and fittings to do stairs and furniture, or car floors and upholstery.
8) Light weight

Cons:
1) The fresh water supply is only one gallon.

2) The dirty water tank looks to be about one gallon too but the "fill" line is much lower and the dirty water tank will shut off when it is less than half full. There is a float in the dirty water tank that will shut off dirty water collection when the tank reaches a very low line on the tank. Having to change the clean and dirty water tanks was one of my big complaints about our old rug cleaner. I hope this is better than it looks.

I intend to clean some carpets tomorrow and will return with a report on that outcome.

One thing I was curious about was this is called a ProHeat cleaner so I assumed it had some sort of built in heating system to keep the water hot. It does show HeatWave Technology. I guess you have to trust it because there is nothing that is visible to the eye related to heating the water. There is no switch to turn the heater on or off. There is no "warm up time" specified in the manual.

Amazon encourages us to compare products. The carpet cleaner we've owned for several years is a Hoover F5880 SteamVac Ultra. I must say that product produces no "steam" so it too seems to be a bit of false advertising to me.

There are three things that bother me about our old Hoover.
1) The four soft small brushes on the bottom rotate side-by-side but there is a small gap between them. I've never felt they offered much scrubbing action. They are like four 3" disks with a soft brush around the edge of each disk laying flat on the carpet and rotating.

2) Both the fill tank and the dirty water tank are small. The clean water tank is 1 gallon (same as this Bissell) and the dirty water tank is perhaps also 1 gallon. However "full" means quite a bit less than full for the dirty water tank.

3) There is a "float disk" that shuts off collection of dirty water when the dirty water tank is full (or less than 1/2 full). The float disk will rise just based on the foam in the dirt water (I'm always careful to buy the carpet cleaner marked "low suds or low foam). Also the float disk will rise and shut the collection of dirty water off if I move the machine a bit too abruptly which can jostle the float disk. Then I have to turn the machine off and wait for the float disk to drop before I can restart.

All of this means the Hoover carpet cleaner will clean far less of a room's carpet and I have to shut down to refill the fresh water tank, and empty the dirty water tank. I just did an 11' x 11' room last week and had to fill and empty the tanks FOUR times for that rather small carpet. Very annoying. I would say it takes me twice as long as it would with a machine with larger tanks, and a properly operating dirty water shut off system.

The amazing thing is I've been so unhappy with the Hoover that I researched carpet cleaners and actually thought I had ordered the Bissell Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine ($400). I then checked my Amazon Vine (free products to review) queue and wonder of wonders this Bissell was there for the asking. I went back to see if I could cancel my Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine but in fact I had not hit the last button to order it so it was not actually on order. Wonderful. This Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution has the same brush system as Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine so I thought I'd struck it rich.

At this point I have the new Bissell with much better brushes, but it seems the tank size issue I've had with the Hoover may still be the same. In fact other than the brushes the Bissell 1548 and the Hoover F5880 seem to be rather equivalent machines. It is entirely possible that I will try this new Bissell 1548, give it to one of my children for their home, and order Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine when all is said and done.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Black Metal Strongest Motorcycle Dirt Bike Helmet Quick Release Helmets Chin Strap Buckle No Echo
Offered by shubanditcompanyllc
Price: $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should. Easy to install, latch, and unlatch., August 23, 2015
At Last!

I recently purchased an Echo clip for my helmet. I was tired of threading the strap through the D rings. The Echo worked and was strong, but it was not easy to align the two parts to clip them together, nor was it easy to unlatch. As I used the Echo, spending a few moments trying to figure feel if the parts were aligned properly, I kept wondering if I might have threaded the D rings quicker than using the Echo. I actually had it misaligned once and it seemed to click in place. When I went to take the helmet off I couldn't get the Echo unlatched because it wasn't properly latched in the first place.

This RydeWear is just the opposite. It is easy to install, easy to latch and unlatch. I highly recommend this product.

5-Pack Stainless Steel Frame Half-eye Style Reading Glasses Readers +2.0
5-Pack Stainless Steel Frame Half-eye Style Reading Glasses Readers +2.0
Offered by EYEKEPPER GLOBAL INC
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent reading glasses for a very low cost., August 21, 2015
For about $2.80 each these are pretty decent glasses. I normally buy my reading glasses at CostCo but they continuously change the style they have on hand for purchase. I was looking for half-eye style frames and couldn't find them. This 5-Pack was just what I was looking for.

These glasses are all steel frame, no springs on the ear piece. They can be bent to suit. All heads are not shaped the same so I do find it convenient to be able to bend the glasses to fit my self. That is why I prefer steel frames and ear pieces rather than plastic. The nose pieces are large and soft. Overall I like the fit.

I ordered, and received, 2.00 strength. The only flaw I can see is at the very top of the lens, adjacent to the top frame, there is a distortion in the plastic lens. It isn't very wide so it doesn't bother me.

They are so cheap if I scratch a lens I can just toss it in the trash. I believe these will hold up quite well. Cheap reading glasses tend to last between six months and a year for me. But that is the reason for taking one star off.

I do recommend these glasses.

LeapFrog Imagicard Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Learning Game (for LeapPad tablets)
Price: $24.99
8 used & new from $20.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all that interesting, very expensive., August 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Imagicard is a software process that uses a camera to pick up a code from cards supplied with the game. The game can run on any LeapPad because it is not hardware dependent, other than the need for a camera which to my knowledge all LeapPads have. There is nothing magic about the cards, they are just cards like a deck of playing cards, but thicker. The white stripe around the edge with notches, is what the software reads.

There are a few games within the Teenage Mutant Ninja app that use the cards. For example asks the child to provide two numbers that add up to a sum number such as #X + #Y = 5. Some of the TMNT cards have numbers in the upper right hand corner. The child is to locate two cards that sum to the value 5. For example 0+5, 1+4, or 2+3. They locate two cards, point the camera at the cards one at a time, then hit a Checkmark to validate their answer. This is a little ahead of my five year old. It could also have been accomplished by putting a few numbers on the screen and asking the child to tap on the numbers.

BBP gave a good 4 star review with a lot more details so I won't attempt to duplicate all of that.

Our five year old (I've had six kids) is pretty smart for his age. Capable in many ways. He regularly whips me at a game of concentration, matching pairs of 48 cards laid face down on a table. His vocabulary and comprehension is well beyond his 5 1/2 years. This game is rated for ages 5-8 but I think 5 is a stretch. He is able to play all other LeapPad games without assistance. He could not use more than 40% of this app by himself.

In general I find nothing very exciting about the Imagicard part of the software. It could have been left out and accomplished other ways without the cards and camera. It is a bit novel though and I expect it will hold my son's interest for a day or two.

I also agree with most of the other reviewers that cards will get lost, spread all over the house, bent, and thrown away inadvertently. I've already found myself collecting cards and putting them back into the tin they came in.

As I said there are a few games within the TMNT app. One of them deals with the TMNT characters and their characteristics. You have to have a well working knowledge of the TMNT characters to begin to play that game. We never let our children watch Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles because of the violence in their TV shows. So our children can't answer the trivia questions. I thought the app would be void of the violence, unlike the TV, show. Even though he couldn't watch the show he was still interested in TMNT I didn't know he would have to have such a detailed knowledge of the Turtles to play that aspect of the app.

It seems LeapFrog got carried away with their new found ability to use the camera to scan an image on the cards and make something happen in the app. I rather doubt that any other implementation of the Imagicard process, in another app, will be any more interesting than this one. At $25 it is hugely expensive too. At $5 this might be more interesting as a short term novelty.

I'm being generous by giving it three start, perhaps it only rates two.

LeapFrog LeapPad Platinum Kids Learning Tablet, Purple
LeapFrog LeapPad Platinum Kids Learning Tablet, Purple
Price: $128.06
10 used & new from $128.06

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star, no 4 Star, no 3 Star, So tempted to drop to 2 Stars, August 19, 2015
I find it hard to decide how many stars to give the Platinum.

On one hand it is a very sturdy product, kid friendly, some parental controls. So on the physical attributes I would give it five stars. I also don't think $100+ is out of line considering it has a 7" screen, 8GB of memory, two cameras, and it can play MP3 music and shoot video. But the previous product, the Ultra, is available for well under $100. I'm tempted to take a star off for the high price of the Platinum which isn't any better than the Ultra. There's something strange about this company. They take an existing product, repackage it a little, give it a new name, and bump the price way up. We had a LeapPad 2 then got a LeapPad Glo; same product repackaged. You'd think they would follow the general market of electronic devices and newer products would be less expensive.

The Platinum is a slightly different shape, more rounded, whereas the Ultra is more of a rectangle. The Platinum diffidently weights less at 19.3 oz. The Ultra weighed 22.9 oz. The weight difference may be the best or only reason to choose the Platinum over the Ultra - if the prices were equal. The lighter weight will be much appreciated by the little ones that have to hold it.

I have a smartphone (Nokia Lumia 635) I purchased for $70 (full price). It has a 5" screen, much faster quad processor, and there are over 500,000 apps available for it. Tons of the apps are free, another huge quantity are $0.99, and the really expensive ones are about $5. This is what I have to compare with the LeapFrog devices. Based on that phone, which has a user replaceable battery and a microSD card slot, the phone is a much better buy. In fact buying one of those for my five year old may make perfect sense. The phone also has a thing called "Kids Corner" which protects them from getting onto the internet, changing the phone setup, or making purchases.

On the other hand it is basically a repackaged LeapPad Ultra. We now have both an Ultra and the Platinum. I ran them side by side and couldn't find any reason to spend the extra cost for the Platinum; they are pretty much identical with buttons moved around from one to the other. The memory is the same, screen is the same, speed of operation is the same, but the Ultra battery life is longer. Go figure.

ONE STAR OFF FOR NON USER REPLACEABLE BATTERIES
I despise built-in non user removable batteries. We also have a LeapFrog LeapPad Glo which has user replaceable batteries (an option we purchased), and you can run it off of 4 AA batteries in a pinch; very nice. I don't understand why LeapFrog would abandon the Glo battery design and build the battery into the Ultra and Platinum. All batteries deteriorate. Do you own a car? Have you ever had a 12V battery in your car last longer than about 5 years? From the moment batteries are manufactured they begin to deteriorate. Most built in lithium ion batteries will have lost between 20% and 50% of their charge capacity after two years. Even Apple publishes the schedule of how their iPhone batteries deteriorate over time. Lithium batteries also have the habit of some that simply die an early death, it could happen in a month or a couple of years. My iPod Touch 5th Gen battery only holds a charge for about 10 minutes - it was less than 2 years old when it went bad. The Platinum, for some reason I can't determine, is specified to have a shorter battery charge life than the Ultra. Huh? At least one star off for the built in battery and shorter operating time. When the Glo rechargable batteries die I can just buy new batteries and pop them in. What do I do with the Platinum when the battery dies?

To tell you the truth my five-year-old tends to play with my smartphone or 9" tablet (which I bought here on Amazon for $65, with a microSD card slot!) more than he does the LeapPad products. I think the main attraction of the LeapPad products is they are his own, rather than having to borrow one of my devices and get permission to use it.

If you are ready to spend a ton of money on LeapFrog apps, and like this Platinum I suggest you buy a much less expensive Ultra/XDI.

ONE STAR OFF FOR VERY EXPENSIVE APPS
Across the board these LeapFrog products have one huge marketing problem. The apps/games are very high priced. Many of the apps, the good ones at least, sell for about $25!!! Don't get me wrong the apps are quite good, but I can find very good games on my Android tablet for $0.99 to about $5. LeapFrog seems to have a marketing strategy to attach premium prices to their software and limit their market volume, instead of dropping the prices into a reasonable range and dramatically expanding their market. Yes we now have three LeapPad devices but it is rare for me to purchase an app because they are so darn expensive. One star off for high priced apps. Buy a LeapPad and then five or six apps and the app cost could easily exceed the price of the LeapPad.

LeapFrog if you drop your app prices into the under $10 area I'll buy a lot of them.

JEBSENS - T01 NEW 14 LED Super Bright Battery Operated PIR Motion Activated LED Under Cabinet Light, Night Light, Closet Light 14 LED - Motion Activated Automatic Light Up, Works Day & Night, Continuous light on until you leave, Battery Operated, Cool White with On, Off, Auto Function! Motion Sensor Ajustable, Light Beams Ajustable! 12 Inches Long, Portable & Simple Installation, No Wiring Required!
Offered by JebsensDirect
Price: $49.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money., August 15, 2015
The title "Super Bright" should read "Way Too Dim."

I should have trusted many reviews that said it would be dim. I thought the area where I wanted to install it is so dark it wouldn't take much light so it should be okay - Not! I think the 7 watt night light in our bathroom puts out more light than this thing.

We have a deep sink in our laundry room. There are cabinets over the sink that create shadows making the sink area dark. There is no AC outlet in the area so this seemed like the perfect solution.

It actually works fine. It is motion triggered as promised. It switched off in 15 seconds. I'll have to put a piece of black electrical tape on the sensor to narrow the field of view because it turns on when we just walk by.

I can not recommend this product. I should have purchased another brand for 1/2 price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2015 1:59 AM PDT

GAMMA RAY READERS 3 Pairs Men's Readers Stainless Steel Reading Glasses for Men +2.00
Offered by Free King
Price: $6.95
2 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., August 15, 2015
Perfect. I normally buy my reading glasses at CostCo. But CostCo rotates the style of glasses so you don't always get the same thing from time to time. This time I didn't pay enough attention, too fixated on the strength and shape of the glasses, and didn't notice that the CostCo selection were all this light weight soft plastic material. The CostCo glasses don't have the bendable nose pieces, rather the nose part is molded into the plastic and they slip down my nose.

Thes Gamma Ray brand glasses don't have spring loaded ear pieces, but they fit snug and don't slide around. From now on I'll be careful to select metal frame glasses that can be bent to better shape them to my face. The weight is certainly much more than the light weight CostCo glasses but to tell you the truth the weight just doesn't make a difference to me.

I recommend these glasses and will buy them again.

MacGyver - Season 1
MacGyver - Season 1
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds up well. Very light and fun., August 15, 2015
I've never watched MacGyver before. I certainly knew about the show. The term MacGyver has found it's way into the public vocabulary almost as a verb.

For a show that is over 30 years old it stands up quite well. This is a very light production, you can't take it seriously. Great for casual viewing, and it is okay for young children for the most part.

I'm into season two and plan to binge watch all the way to the end. I'm watching 4 to 6 episodes a day on my computer in a window in the corner of my screen while I work on photographs. Perfect.

Philips Sonicare HX8331/30 Airfloss Pro Rechargeable Electric Flosser
Philips Sonicare HX8331/30 Airfloss Pro Rechargeable Electric Flosser

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my choice vs Waterpik, August 12, 2015
August 15, 2015 Update
I've now used the Sonicare for two mornings. I'm reducing my review from 4 stars to 2 stars. The Sonicare simply does not have enough power in the water stream off the tip, even when set to three pulses, to act as a flosser. I've also discovered that while I could use it away from a sink I'm better off to hang over the sink so water doesn't accumulate in my mouth which gets in the way of the flossing action. So portability isn't what I thought it would be.

To be fair I did look up cordless Waterpik flossers and I see that they receive lower scores than the AC models. It seems when these manufacturers try to make something battery powered they have to give up too much in terms of the intended function. They simply can't produce a small, battery powered, yet powerful unit.

I simply can not recommend this product. One of the many WaterPik products that has a base with an extendable tube and constant pulsing is a much better choice.

Original Review:
I accepted this free Vine product thinking we would use for our 5 year old son who hates to have us floss and brush his teeth. It didn't turn out well for him.

- He hated the taste of the mouthwash that came with the Sonicare even though I just put in a few drops with the rest being water. Okay I emptied it and just used fresh water.

- The instructions make it clear it is to be used with your mouth closed, pretty much killing the idea of using it on our son because we need his mouth open to see where we are pointing the business end of the product.

So much for using it for our son. Next I will try it. I already use a Waterpik Waterflosser (about $90 today) and have for several years. In the Amazon guidelines they suggest comparing products so I will. The Sonicare is about $82 so pretty close in price.

- The Waterpik provides a constant pulse whereas the Sonicare pulses one to three times then stops.
- The Waterpik is AC operated whereas the Sonicare is rechargable in it's own special charging base.
- The Waterpik has a small wand on the end of a spiral tube whereas the Sonicare is self contained and portable.
- The Waterpik has a large reservoir appropriate for the constant flow of water. The Sonicare has a thumb sized reservoir appropriate for the intermittent pulses.
- The Waterpik has a dial to select different strengths of the stream whereas the Sonicare has no adjustment.

So they each have their pros and cons.

Waterpik Pros
- No battery to wear out or recharge
- Constant pulse is (in my opinion) easier to use and perhaps does a better job.
- The wand is light weight.
- The tip of the wand can be rotated to reach different areas.
- The strength of the stream can be adjusted with a knob marked 1 to 10

Waterpik Cons
- Due to the high volume of water flow it is pretty much necessary to hold my head over a sink while using it.

Sonicare Pros
- More portable. It is a self contained unit
- Able to be used away from a sink due to the small amount of water/mouthwash used due to the pulsed operation.
- It can be set to pulse once, twice, or three times until it shuts off for about 1 1/2 seconds
- The unit will stop pulsing if you take your finger off the trigger. That allows for an even longer time between pulse bursts.
- A single charge will last between 11 and 33 days depending on the pulse setting.
- The self charging method is inductive so there are no metal contacts.
- Simple to use charging stand. Just set the wand on the stand.

Sonicare Cons
- Anything with a built in battery will deteriorate over time. In two or three years this might not work well and you can't replace the battery.
- The intermittent pulse method may not work as well as a constant pulse.
- Lack of adjustment of the power of the pulses.
- The unit is rather large to hold. I suspect it could have been designed smaller. I don't know why it had to be this large. It measures 6 1/2 inches long not counting the 3 inch tip. The length isn't too bad. The circumference is about 5 1/2" in the center. I have large hands and I can not touch my thumb and forefinger when my hand is wrapped around the unit. This becomes an issue when the whole unit must be rotated to direct the end of the wand to different areas of the mouth. The wand itself does not rotate, you must rotate the whole Sonicare device.

I do intend to try this for several days. I will return here to update this review.

As of this moment I would recommend a Waterpick over the Sonicare HX8331/30. The pros outweigh the cons for me. Perhaps you might feel differently. Certainly the portability factor might be a big positive for some people.

When reading the user reviews of other Sonicare floss devices I see they have been quite unreliable. Many failing within the first few months. This is a completely new device. Perhaps Philips has addressed the reliability issues and this one will be reliable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20