Profile for M. Killion > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Killion "Melodrama lover" RSS Feed (Salinas, CA USA)

Father's Little Dividend 16x9 Widescreen TV.
Father's Little Dividend 16x9 Widescreen TV.
DVD ~ Spencer Tracy
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $7.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible copy, July 18, 2010
I bought this copy Christmas of 2009. It is unwatchable. During the kitchen scene where Kay's parents are discussing she and Buckley move in with them, the audio gets stuck like a scratched vinyl record and repeats over and over ad nauseum. The picture freezes then suddenly the audio continues normally but the picture is still frozen. I've checked my player and the copy and can't find anything wrong with the player. Unfortunately I held onto the copy too long to get a refund or exchange. My dvd of "Father of the Bride" which I bought as a package deal cost less but is a great copy. Even if the audio and video didn't get stuck on "FLD", the copy has not been digitally remastered. The picture is washed out and the audio sounds cheap. Lines running through the copy as well. Unwatchable!

Strangers When We Meet
Strangers When We Meet
DVD ~ Kirk Douglas
14 used & new from $39.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem over and over again, April 27, 2010
This review is from: Strangers When We Meet (DVD)
The theme music and opening scenes grab me right from the start. I always give the opening scenes my full attention. The bus stop, the moms well dressed they don't have to worry about running into someone they know and looking like they just finished cleaning out the garage, painting the entire house and bathed an English sheepdog. And it's not just because it's a movie. People were a bit more attractive then. I don't really see the chemistry between Larry and Maggie. He's seems to feel more for her. I didn't really see him leaving his family for her until the scene when he's handing over the housekeys to Roger Altar. I was surprised to find Maggie wanting things to stay the way they are.

One reviewer suggested Maggie's husband may be impotent or turned off because of the encounter she had with the young truck driver. I don't think her husband knew. I will add my thoughts on why her husband may have been such a reluctant lover. The bedroom scene where Maggie tries to entice her husband. His final reply is "Margaret we can't just..." Believe it or not, he may have been raised to believe that sex without procreation was wrong. Maybe they had decided not to have more than one child, therefore, sex was unnecessary. It wouldn't play to today's audience but I think it works well although a bit puzzling, in this movie. After all, Maggie did marry the "first nice boy who came along" according to her mother.

I love the snappy dialogue, the set decoration at the Coe house and Altar's apartment.

Barbara Rush is particularly well cast as is Helen Gallagher although she has a smaller part. The friendship between Altar and Coe is very touching and feels real to me. And I believe Altar as a writer. The whole movie evokes a time gone by. When cheating spouses were a bit more aware of their standing not only in the eyes of their families but in the community as well.

As for Felix, wow, where do I start? He tells his young son Brucie to "love 'em all" but really I think he regards all women as just a piece of meat and Eve is just another piece. She gives no indication she's an "easy mark". Every time I hear Feliz say "tell me architect, how am I any different from you"? I always answer back to the TV that "Maggie wanted what she got". He's actually a woman hater and love has nothing to do with the act.

Like I said, a gem over and over. I feel a bit of a voyeur watching the characters interact. I feel like I know these people. That their lives are playing out around me. And my sensibilities say for Larry to stay with his family. Maggie I believe will go on and on as she has been. She'll find another Larry and another and another. Never wanting to leave her husband but not being fulfilled either. Which is worse than Larry's decision.