Profile for D. K. Miles > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. K. Miles "dkmiles1" RSS Feed (Naples, FL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Angel Heart (Special Edition)
Angel Heart (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Mickey Rourke
Price: $6.09
74 used & new from $1.36

4.0 out of 5 stars All time underrated, April 21, 2004
Superlative performances by Mickey Rourke, Robert DeNiro and Lisa Bonet in a downright dark story make this one creepy, albeit excellent movie.
The story line goes, Mickey Rourke's character is a PI hired to find a person who disappeared 14 years ago. The story twists and turns and mixes in southern voodoo until it reaches a show-stopping climax.
A little slow at times, which can make the complex plot tough to follow, but everything comes together in the end.
Clearly one of the all time great underrated films.

SOCOM: US Navy Seals
SOCOM: US Navy Seals
Offered by JGmediasupply
Price: $14.88
457 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good stealth, strategy adventure!, April 1, 2004
This review is from: SOCOM: US Navy Seals (Video Game)
Once you get past the controls, which are a bit discombobulated, US Navy Seals is a very satisfying play for the Playstation 2.
I find myself getting frustrated at times as the level of difficulty increases dramatically as the game wears on. I've been stuck on the same episode for some time now, but the infused teamwork aspect adds a unique and necessary dimension for you to succeed. Once you figure out the teamwork aspect, solving the missions comes at a much quicker pace.
I give these designers a lot of credit, as teamwork is required for your success as you move through the missions. Not only do you need to learn teamwork, you have to master teamwork in order to master the game. It is one of the few games that entails this kind of strategy successfully.
Solid effort!

Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror
Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror
by Richard A. Clarke
774 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars You're Right, I'm wrong... Al Qaeda doesn't care..., March 26, 2004
Help! Amazon's been invaded by Moveon.org!
I've never seen such pathetic, politically charged drivel in my entire 6 years of reviewing books on Amazon. While we sit here and point fingers at one another (strictly and pitifully along party lines) Osama and crew are plotting the next attack. They want us to be divided, and it looks like we are. Divided nations don't make good decisions. Exactly what Osama and his terrorist brethren are hoping for...
If we can cast aside how we feel about Bush, and cast aside how we feel about Richard Clarke for just a minute and look at this whole situation objectively (if you are able to look at things objectively) then its obvious that you cannot "fix" the past. Who's right and who's wrong doesn't really matter, our dead are not coming back. Our government was simply not structured to handle the new form of terror we faced prior to 9/11. Osama was and still is sort of like an AIDS virus, there is no vaccine or cure, and he keeps mutating. We have put in place effective treatment, but he's still deadly. All we can do is hope to adapt as fast as possible and stay one step ahead.
Bush, Clinton, Bush 2, and Dick Clarke didn't fly those planes into the WTC, though based on some of the criticism I've read here, Bush 2 may as well have been the co-pilot on all four planes. This type of criticism really unobjective and ignorant because Bush was barely in office long enough (234 Days to be exact) to know who the President of Pakistan was, never mind fixing 20 years of ineptness on behalf of our intelligence agencies.
Remember some things, Osama and crew want to KILL US, Democrat, Republican, male, female, independent, whatever. It doesn't matter, Al Qaeda wants you and me DEAD.
Terrorism trumps everything else (the economy (a terror attack would destroy the economy), civil rights, Richard Clarke's book, Bush Bashing, Clinton hating, etc) because none of it matters (your opinion or mine)... If we're DEAD.
Islamic Extremeists are little more than a modern day KKK. They are Islamic Supremicists. They are serial killers of the worst kind, they kill and discriminate (they are so blinded by their hatred that if you are American, Jewish or a 'suspected collaborator' with either, no questions asked you're executed, no judge, no trial, no jury.) It's their way or the highway.
You can't leave terrorist alone, the same way you can't leave a serial killer alone, you have to go after them, or innocent people will continue to die. As I've mentioned, our government through no fault of it's own (the government is not immune to classic organizational failings that every company faces) left the terrorists alone for the past 20 years, and look what that got us...
You may disagree with Bush, and that's OK, you may think that Clarke has creidibility problems, so what, maybe you believe Clinton did nothing in his 8 years in office, true or not true none of it matters now.
Bush sent out the vice squad to Afghanistan and Iraq, though a link between Saddam and Al Qaeda was never confirmed, no one will dispute that Saddam was a terrorist. Bush used WMD as the reasoning to go into Iraq, but heck, if our intelligence was so inept not to stop 9/11 on our home turf, why's it so hard to believe our intelligence was wrong about WMD half a world away in Iraq? We were so grossly unprepared for this kind of unconventional attack, we didn't even see the threat gathering. Shame on us as a nation of Democrats, Republicans, and independents.
Be careful how much you criticize Bush for not doing enough to stop 9/11 while he pre-emptively went after Saddam in Iraq. You may sound hypocritical as your ripping him apart for being 'apathetic' about Al Qaeda before 9/11 and ripping him apart for being a 'cowboy' by going into Iraq. You can't have it both ways.
No one likes war, it is ugly, it is unfair, innocent people die. But it is a necessary evil to defend our great nation.
Don't forget, they attacked us first. Osama declared war on the US in 1997, we didn't take him seriously, we paid dearly, he's running scared today and he HATES GEORGE BUSH, why? Because Bush wants him dead. I only hope we get him before it's too late.
Of course, this review and my opinion won't matter... if Osama gets us and we're DEAD.

Angels & Demons
Angels & Demons
by Dan Brown
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
2191 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Twice that of the Da Vinci Code, March 21, 2004
"The Da Vinci Code" was VERY good, but seems boring compared to "Angels and Demons." I was skeptical of Dan Brown as a writer after reading "Digital Fortress" which seemed simplistic by comparison prior to reading "Angels and Demons."
"Angels and Demons" however, solidifies Dan Brown's place as a strong up and comer in New Fiction. Great plot about a made up conspiracy to overthrow the Catholic Church that brilliantly blurs the lines between religion and science. All the classic elements of a great story are rolled up into a neat pile-driving plot that doesn't let up until the very end.
Different than DVC, this time Dan Brown gets the reader with a stellar climax about that involves on of the main characters in the book! Hats off, stellar effort, stellar achievement!

Who's Looking Out for You?
Who's Looking Out for You?
by Bill O'Reilly
Price: $16.08
974 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars O'Reilly opinionated? Absolutely!, March 3, 2004
Most of the negative commentary on Bill O'Reilly comes from people who either don't listen to him, don't watch him, or hear reports about him from sources that disagree with him.
This reminds me of when I used to hear about how "offensive" the Howard Stern program was. I heard it so much, that I started to believe it. Though, I had never listened to Stern and at that time refused to because again, I was told he was offensive. When a friend finally sat me down to listen to the show, I found myself laughing hysterically and thoroughly enjoying his program. Point being, don't let others make your opinions for you, make them for yourself.
If you read the book it is clear that O'Reilly doesn't hate Bill or Hillary Clinton, or Al Gore, etc. He IS however very critical of them, and why not? (Note criticism doesn't equal hate.) O'Reilly has one of the most (if not the most) watched programs on Cable television that targets 'republican' voters. If I am Al Gore, or Hillary, etc, what better forum to go on to attempt to change minds and bring the other side to your way of thinking? These people never have appeared on O'Reilly (who also openly criticizes Bush) but bash him whenever they can.
O'Reilly has asked Hillary and Al Gore countless times to appear on the program. He states it openly on his show and in his books. Yet they refuse time and time again, why?
If you form and believe your own opinions based on facts, and not the way you feel about things, then O'Reilly's take on things will either re-enforce your opinions or won't have any impact on them whatsoever. I'll borrow from Covey here, "Seek first to understand, then seek to be understood." Regardless, you should always listen to what the other side has to say, you may actually learn something (I watch CNN, read the NYT, etc.) To shut out or demonize the opposing position (because it is the opposing position) doesn't help anyone, including yourself.
If you can get past the baseless and negative drivel in some of these reviews, you will find that "Who's looking out for you?" is a very worthwhile read.
It's easy to separate in the reviews here who has and who hasn't read the book vs. those who simply hate O'Reilly (1 Star and 1 sentence that has little or nothing to do with the book...), ignore those reviews and read the book yourself and form your own opinion.

The Grand Complication: A Novel
The Grand Complication: A Novel
by Allen Kurzweil
111 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Henry James Reborn... Unfortunately, February 16, 2004
OK, the story line is original (I can't imagine anyone could have come up with it), but totally boring. Searching for a missing watch to complete a "case of curiosities" is hardly engaging material. Though, the interaction between the characters prevents this book from being a total snoozer.
Worst of all (for me), the writer's prose reads as if the book were written in the late 1800's, which would be great, if you find that sort of thing entertaining. I don't.
The story is a mystery, just not kind of mystery that I would have picked (the book was a gift) or preferred to read.
Bottom line, to the writer's credit, there is great potential as the character development is excellent, but they're caught in a weak story line.

Digital Fortress: A Thriller
Digital Fortress: A Thriller
by Dan Brown
Price: $13.15
619 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good time killer, but not much more than that, January 20, 2004
Dan Brown scored big time with "The Da Vinci Code", which was well done. The exhaust of a huge success like DVC is that the rest of the books that went nowhere come out of the woodwork and into the mainstream.
Mr. Brown must have spent a lot of time in his youth figuring out crosswords, WHATZITS, word search, trivia, etc... As all of his characters thus far (may be unfair to say, as I have only read this book and DVC) have been 'de-coder fanatics.' Digital Fortress is no exception.
Once you get passed the implausibility of the technical aspects of the story you can focus on the plot, which isn't bad. Though I would be remiss if I didn't say the plot is far less complicated than the puzzles within the story. I literally figured out the plot 1/3 through.
Therfore I must label "Digital Fortress" predictable, but readable. A decent effort.

Manhunt - PlayStation 2
Manhunt - PlayStation 2
Offered by Pro Digital Mart
Price: $49.88
39 used & new from $5.04

4.0 out of 5 stars I finished and Tipper Gore would still have a heart attack!, January 2, 2004
This is a rewrite of a previous review. I have now completed the game and have raised the score to 4 stars from 3. Here's why;
The sense of dread one receives when playing "Manhunt" is undeniable. The scenes are dark, the music is chilling and the blood flows freely as Rockstar leaves no stone unturned in the gore genre with this release.
James Earl Cash is saved from execution only to be turned into director Starkweather's (the snuff movie master) stalking, muderous puppet. As Cash is launched from death row into a society at its lowest rife with senseless murders, snuff movies, corruption, racisim and just plain waaaaay over the top violence.
I really enjoyed Manhunt, though it could have been equally effective without Rockstar's insatiable desire for bloodlust. There really hasn't been a game like it (conceptually at least) as far as I am aware. The stealth aspects of sneaking up behind and 'snuffing' unsuspecting 'hunters' are really neat and extremely well done. Some of the snuff scenes are so violent, they will flat out make you squirm.
Turns out Manhunt is much more of a story than a mindless, murderous rampage. The other reviewers reveal most of the plot, but lets just say you start out senselessly killing people at the direction of Starkweather. Not really sure why you're doing it, but you've been saved from certain death only to end up fighting for your life in the seediest sections of Carcer City. The plot slowly forms until you realize your a pawn in a huge 'snuff movie ring.'
Hopefully you can get over the senselessly violent stuff, but it is an essential part of the story. The plot is great stuff and what I've come to expect from Rockstar. Wait until you fight 'Piggsy', talk about a nightmare.
Definitely worth the [] bucks. Weeks of entertainment, challenge and unmatched gore.

Intellivision Lives - PlayStation 2
Intellivision Lives - PlayStation 2
Offered by bregames
Price: $30.65
43 used & new from $0.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Nostalgia! Horrible controls!, December 26, 2003
Ah, waking up on Christmas day in 1982 and opening Intellivision was one of the best Christmases of my youth! I remember laughing at my friends who had Atari with their stick graphics as we would wait for George Plimpton to appear on the TV to vindicate those of us who sought a better system than the standard 2600.
Alas, nothing becomes obsolete faster than video games, and unfortunately, it is totally apparent in this compilation. Specifically the sports games which separated Intellivision from the pack at the time now appear as dated as an 8-Track tape. However, it is nice to play the games that remind you of better times in childhood.
"Astrosmash", the space shoot 'em up, is still a challenging blast to play. "Bowling" still is as tough as I remember, "Skiing" holds up the test of time fairly well, stripped down, solid and timeless. "Star Strike" looks great (especially in the commericals), but has lame game play. The list goes on (over 60 in all), most are barely playable by todays standards, that aside, there is some great nostalgia here.
Negatives? Some of the best games for Intellivision are not present. Mainly because they were put out by 3rd party manufacturers (Imagic, Activision, etc.) Too bad because "Atlantis" and "Demon Attack" (both from Imagic) were very good looking and fun games.
Lastly, the game controllers on the original Intellivision drew ire even from the most devout of Intellivision fans, and were downright despised by the 2600 faithful. The mapping of the controls to the Playstation2, to put it mildly, borders on utter failure. The effort is there (e.g. graphic represenations of the Intellivision 'overlays'), but the execution is just poor. Better controls, would make this compilation 4 stars. Nostaligia alone makes it a worthwhile purchase. And for 20 bucks, you really can't go wrong!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 5:47 PM PST

The Thing
The Thing
Offered by tax-free
Price: $49.99
60 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Level of difficulty makes The Thing more satisfying, October 30, 2003
This review is from: The Thing (Video Game)
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through and I have to say, this is tougher than Maximo (which is really tough.) There is never a let up in intensity, my synapses literally keep firing non-stop. I may walk away from The Thing with Post Traumatic Stress disorder, but what a sense of relief & accomplishment when you complete a section. It's the way gaming used to be before you could actually save whenever you felt like it.
The game is original, extremely challenging, dark, engaging, and most of all gratifying. Graphics are solid, but not excellent, cut scenes use too much unneccesary profanity that adds little to the story.
You definitely get a sense of dread and fear while you play.
Highly recommended!