Profile for Ireuel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ireuel RSS Feed (Idaho)

VeggieTales - Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Samson's Hairbrush
VeggieTales - Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Samson's Hairbrush
DVD ~ Various
Price: $6.13
76 used & new from $0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Fool me twice..., April 15, 2006
It looks like alot of people here liked Cuke, and I'm glad they did. After a bunch of good reviews I bought it. I think I'll give it to Goodwill.

As many here have pointed out, Cuke is at least better than Sumo (Yuck). But it's nowhere near as fun as Lyle, Pickle, Josh, Little Joe, etc. It's terribly predictable, not very engaging, the humor is contrived, and once again there aren't even any songs my kids can sing along with in the car. (Are my young daughters supposed to be impressed with that Pizza song? They sure like alot of the Veggie songs that came out five or ten years ago!) On the plus side, the graphics are flawless.

If I read my news right, Mike and Phil sold to a bigger company that decided the Veggies need "less God." It shows. A young company that was in it for the fun and lessons has turned over the reigns to an outfit that's in it for the money. (This isn't one of those stupid "Big corporations are evil" rants. It's just that creative control of the Veggies is obviously going in a different direction. How astoundingly sad.) That's explains why Cuke could have been cranked out by any cartoon studio in the country that thinks kids will watch any fool thing you put in front of them as long as it's animated. Well, my kids have better taste than that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2011 5:24 AM PDT

Illustrator cs For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
Illustrator cs For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
by Ted Alspach
44 used & new from $0.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Book, November 25, 2005
My favorite part of this book is where the author, with mountains of experience, says PC's are faster than Macs for graphics. It's about time somebody pointed it out. Notice how many people who give it poor ratings are those who worship at the altar of Mac.

This is a good book for beginner to intermediate, which is about where Dummies books are aimed, right? There may be better (more expensive) stuff, but I'm not sorry I picked this one up.

On the other hand, the criticisms here about lack of visual examples is a vaild one. There are examples, but a book about the premiere artist/illustrating software should be crammed with them.

VeggieTales - Sumo Of The Opera
VeggieTales - Sumo Of The Opera
DVD ~ Various
Price: $8.49
63 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed with this one, November 25, 2005
The Veggie folks have cranked out so many good episodes, you can hardly go wrong buying the latest one. So that's exactly the frame of mind I was in when I picked this one up. Whoops.

One of the terrific things about Veggie Tales is they pack a good message and are entertaining to kids, while still appealing to adults with their parodies and/or more mature content (ie., references to Shakespeare or Gilbert and Sullivan, etc). In 'Sumo' they forgot about the kids.

The featurettes are fun as usual, but when the title feature (Sumo) comes on, my kids get bored and find something else to do. And why wouldn't they? At six years old, my daughter doesn't understand references to Rocky, Mr T., or linguistic jokes that require at least highschool-level English to appreciate. (Haikus, etc.) Some of the plot points are just weird. (Tiger bike?) This one doesn't even have any memorable songs for kids to sing along with. To top it all off, the DVD is done in a non-mono format, meaning that since I don't have a stereo TV, I can only hear half the conversation on between-skit narration. To find out what Larry's saying, I have to turn on the subtitles!

The Silly Song and St. Patrick sketch are the only really creative bits on this vid. The rest of it, sadly, makes me think Mike Nawrocki must have had a contract deadline to rush this one to market.