Profile for Elizabeth Joy Weaver > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elizabeth Joy Weaver "Joi Weaver" RSS Feed (Brea, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Song of the Magi
Song of the Magi
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is probably my new favorite Christmas song, January 24, 2015
This review is from: Song of the Magi (MP3 Music)
I heard this song on Marian Call's radio program, and only got through about a minute of listening before I bought the track. It is probably my new favorite Christmas song. Melancholy, yet hopeful. Absolutely stunning.

Monument Valley
Monument Valley
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't play games much, you need this game, November 20, 2014
This review is from: Monument Valley (App)
I almost never buy games because I find the hunt-for-the-thing and oops-I-died-gotta-start-over mechanics frustrating. This game, however, was perfect for me. No deaths, no searches for MacGuffin objects, just learning to think in 4 dimensions. While I got stumped in several places, I never felt the need to go look up a solution or walkthrough; the game teaches you how to play it while you play. The art is stunning, the music odd but soothing, and the storyline was surprisingly moving. It's almost as much meditation as it is a game.

Cooler Master NotePal X2 Laptop Cooling Pad with 140mm Blue LED Fan (R9-NBC-4WAK-GP)
Price: $19.99
44 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, January 31, 2014
My poor laptop had been getting very hot lately, so much so that I couldn't touch parts of it easily. I ordered this fan in hopes of cooling it down to prevent damage. The cooling pad was easy to set up, and very intuitive to understand. It runs almost silently, and best of all, it's made my computer cool to the touch now! Highly recommended.

A Very Rosie Christmas
A Very Rosie Christmas
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Peculiar, but in a good way, December 14, 2013
This review is from: A Very Rosie Christmas (MP3 Music)
I don't normally like covers of Christmas songs that change them drastically, but I make an exception in this case. Rosie Thomas takes familiar tunes and sings them in a way that lets you hear them as if for the first time. Her rendition of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" is quiet and thoughtful, and her cover of "Christmas Don't Be Late" transforms it into a poignant work, instead of the claw-your-ears-out Chipmunk song. This album is a solid addition to any holiday collection.

Pink & Pepper Women's Reggiewc Riding Boot,Black,5 M US
Pink & Pepper Women's Reggiewc Riding Boot,Black,5 M US
Offered by My Favorite Gear
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ladies with large calves, this is your boot!, November 19, 2013
I was actually in tears trying to find a tall boot that would fit my 17" calves. Large ladies have a right to have adorable boots, too! I was skeptical if these would fit, but they're lovely. A little loose around the ankle, but I don't mind that too much.

'Sexy Legs' Black Cross Plaid Pattern Fashion Leggings, 2XL
'Sexy Legs' Black Cross Plaid Pattern Fashion Leggings, 2XL
Offered by Boxed-Gifts
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: no curves ahead!, October 13, 2013
I ordered these leggings after a recommendation from a friend. While I like the pattern, the opacity of the fabric, and the general fit, the fact remains: these leggings do not accommodate curves. I can barely get them to stay up, as there is very little room in the hip and butt area. Curvy ladies may want to buy a size up, if possible.

The Rook: A Novel
The Rook: A Novel
by Daniel O'Malley
18 used & new from $77.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique: please give us more!, February 20, 2012
This review is from: The Rook: A Novel (Hardcover)
I bought the Kindle version of this book after seeing it mentioned on John Scalzi's blog. The sample was intriguing, so I bought the full book. I couldn't put it down! The premise was fun: woman wakes up with no memory of who she is, surrounded by dead bodies, with a note in her pocket from her former self.

I loved how the author carefully drew me into the supernatural world of the Checquy; information was revealed often enough to process, but it never felt like an infodump (save for the letters from Myfanwy's former self, which is intended to be an infodump--others may have issue with this, but I thought it worked well given the set-up.)

While the ending of the book was perhaps not quite as strong as I might have wished, I enjoyed the whole thing, and I hope there are more like it to come. Myfanwy was engaging and relateable, and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to read an urban fantasy about a smart woman who did not end up falling for some gorgeous guy by the end of the book.

In short: great book, well worth the money and time, I'll be recommending it to my friends.

Something Fierce
Something Fierce
Offered by CD Baby
Price: $17.99
22 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Fierce is aptly named, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Something Fierce (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Marian Call's music for a few years now, and always appreciated the folk and jazz influences; however, the lyrics of the songs were what ultimately made me a fan. Ms. Call has a knack for reflecting the feelings and experiences of many people with a simple phrase (for instance, the first time I heard her song "Vanilla" I kept saying to myself, "Yes, that's what I've always felt, too, I just didn't have the words to express it!")

"Something Fierce" has increased my appreciation of Ms. Call's music tenfold. From the heartbreaking honesty of "Anchorage" and "All New" to the energetic "Dear Mr. Darcy" and "Temporal Dominoes." The tracks are nicely varied and well-paced, and I often find myself putting the entire album on repeat for hours. This is the sort of album that you'll want to buy two of: one to keep and one to loan out to everyone else. Highly recommended.

Cybrtrayd K052 Space Shuttle Chocolate Candy Mold with Exclusive Cybrtrayd Copyrighted Chocolate Molding Instructions
Offered by CybrTrayd
Price: $5.05
7 used & new from $1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Great detail!, January 6, 2011
I got this mold and set out to make my own candy shuttles. It was a cinch to paint a little dark chocolate into the mold for the nose cone and US logo, then I filled the mold with melted white chocolate, followed by a final layer of dark chocolate for the heat shield (yes, I'm a space geek!)

The shuttles turned out BEAUTIFULLY! The detail was sharp, and the molds popped clean with no problems at all. I intend to buy several more to make my own "sweet fleet" of shuttles!

Paper Galaxy: Out-of-This-World Projects to Cut, Fold & Paste
Paper Galaxy: Out-of-This-World Projects to Cut, Fold & Paste
by M. D. Prins
33 used & new from $0.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort, January 3, 2011
I received a copy of this book for Christmas, and was apprehensive, since I am not a detail person and often get frustrated by crafts that require any kind of precision. But these patterns are clear and easy to follow, and the results are incredible! I used some clearance scrapbook paper from the craft store, and it's the perfect weight for these patterns: light and easy to cut, but sturdy enough to hold up well when finished.

A note on glue: use Elmer's white glue, as it produces the best results. Glue sticks do not have the strength to hold the paper together, and crazy glue tends to dry on one's fingers, leading to ripped paper when you try to pull the project away. Stick with the school glue!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3