Profile for S. Lam > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Lam RSS Feed (Monterey Park, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Nexus 5 Case, Spigen® [AIR CUSHION] [+Screen Shield] Google Nexus 5 Case ULTRA HYBRID Series [Gray] [1 Premium Japanese Screen Protector Included + 2 Graphics] Scratch Resistant Bumper Case with Clear Back Panel for Nexus 5 - ECO-Friendly Package - Gray (SGP10638)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice case, bonus screen protector cutouts not correct, Qi Works, November 8, 2013
Case feels like a REALLY nice TPU case, cutouts are perfect. The power / volume buttons are exaggerated large which is nice. Doesn't feel like it will get all stretchy like cheap TPU cases. The back is very clear once you pull out the inside and outside protective film. I just kept the outside one on, it's still very clear. I'm sure over time the clearness will get scratchy.

The "Japanese" screen protector looks good, but there is just one cutout for the speaker. No cutouts for the face detector or the camera. If they didn't advertise the bonus screen protector, i'd give it 5 starts, but since it advertised with it, and it is somewhat dysfunctional, i'm gonna drop a star.

This case is thin enough to work with the Energizer Qi dual charger.

Gary Fong Puffer Pop Up flash Diffuser for DSLR's CANON / NIKON / OLYMPUS / PENTAX (excluding Canon T4i)
5 used & new from $21.42

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT item but does not work on Canon 70d, November 2, 2013
I used this product on my Canon 7d and it worked great. When i "downgraded" to the new Canon 70d it did not work at all. I know, it's just made of plastic, what would make it not work? After all, it's not messing with the metal contacts. There must be some sort of other sensor on the hotshoe that senses something there. When the puffer is on, i can't even pop up the flash. If i pop up the flash before i put the puffer on, it will not fire. I repeated this test with just a cut postcard thick paper and it yielded the same results.

I still give this item a 5 for what it did for my 7d. Just be advised it will not work on a canon 70d. (do the postcard test before you buy)

Pineng Power Bank PN-910 Dual USB Output, 2.1A and 1A, High Capacity 11200 mAh 41Wh External Battery Pack
Offered by Pax Global, Inc.
Price: $26.99
5 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars AUTO ON is it's best feature, January 8, 2013
I like the AUTO POWER ON feature. I can leave USB cords plugged into the unit all day. When I actually attach my device to the other end of the USB cable, it magically powers on. Also like the charging cable is standard micro USB, just flip the cable around and put the USB side in the wall charger and microusb side into the battery.

Works as advertised so far (2 months). I'm curious to see how this battery holds up after a year of use. These "no name" company battery items never seem to hold up after a year.

Energizer Qi-Enabled 3 Position Inductive Charger (Black)
Energizer Qi-Enabled 3 Position Inductive Charger (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars No Trickle Charge, just ON or OFF, Kill-a-watt stats, January 8, 2013
Read everyone else's review on this unit itself. This is just a electricity stats review. Test made using Nexus 4 (N4).

When N4 is connected, blue light comes on and phone status shows "Charging (wireless)". When it gets up to 100%, it will eventually STOP and show not charging. When the N4 drops to somewhere between 98% and 100%, it will start charging again. I really don't like how it "tops off" all day long. I feel like it's killing my non-user serviceable battery. Traditional plug in chargers charge to 100% then change to a trickle charge mode where it STAYS at 100% (N4 status shows not charging even when plugged in). There doesn't seem to be a trickle charge mode.

I was concerned this unit would suffer from vampire drain but it doesn't.

Kill-a-watt shows:
0 Watts - Not Charging
6-7 Watts - Charging
3-4 Watts - N4 at 100%, stays here for about 5 mins then goes to Not Charging Mode.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2013 3:44 AM PST

DURAGADGET Water Resistant Cycle/Bike Mount Hard Case For Apple iPhone 4, 4S - C Spire Wireless and iPod Touch - 4g, 8gb, 16gb, 32gb
Offered by DSN Marketing Ltd
Price: $21.43
2 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Pictured, November 2, 2011
I was really hoping for the "no-tool" installation as I will be switching it from a couple of different bikes AS THE PICTURES SHOW. The unit I got has two phillips screws on the mounting part.

It was sold with the title "... for iphone 4". It really should be sold ".... universal smart phone fit that is compatible with iphones," and other phones much larger than iphones. Although the entire screen of the iphone 4 fits through the clear part of case, there is a lot of gaps to the left and right of the screen and NOT enough coverage on the top and bottom. The plastic is pretty thick, you can use the phone though it, but you have to push hard.

I took pictures of everything... have a look. If this is what you are looking for, you will probably be happy with the case, since I was shopping based on the pictures advertise, i'm not too happy.

I purchased this item from: "Sold by Charger City and Fulfilled by Amazon."
Comment Comment | Permalink

rooCASE Convertible Premium Leather (Red) Case Cover with 24 Angle Adjustable Stand for Apple iPad 2 / iPad 3 / The new iPad
Offered by PC Micro Store

5.0 out of 5 stars LIPSTICK Red, June 14, 2011
Great ipad 2 case. The 24 section tilt is absolutely necessary if you are using skype or any webcam app as you will need tilting precision so you are centered in the picture. The credit card holder thing is also a hand strap, a little extra security when you are holding it with one hand.

Beware, this thing is LIPSTICK red, very fem. I was actually hoping for a deeper apple red as the picture looks more burgundy. Overall, very well built.

PC Micro Store didn't waste anytime and shipped it immediately via USPS Priority Mail. It went from Cali to DC in three days.

Plantronics Voyager PRO+ Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics Voyager PRO+ Bluetooth Headset
12 used & new from $36.82

5.0 out of 5 stars if you don't mind the BORG look, best overall headset out., October 18, 2010
Let me start by saying i've owned a lot of high end BT headsets, Plantronics Voyager Pro, Plantronics 975, Blueant T1, Parrot B250XT, Parrot Xpressway, and some cheaper Chinese Brands like the Gblue and Bluedio.

I was ISO the perfect headset that balances look, fit, sound, and also has A2DP. I find no matter how much technology, or how fancy the name of the technology, there's substitution for a mic that gets closer to the mouth. The best phone only headset i've ever owned is the Parrot B250XT, but the thing looks like I'm taking drive thru orders at McD's (but it works as well as the ones you see coaches wear at football games).

This headset seems to be the best balance of everything.

Call me a geek but here's my LAB TEST. I used a 2nd phone using a wired sound isolation headset, put it on mute, and called my HTC EVO Bluetoothed to the Plantronics Voyager Pro Plus.

I started with complete silence. The headset works great. I can actually WHISPER and it picks up. This is great because I'm fairly soft spoken so at my lower than normal conversation voice it picks up great, sounds like i was talking right into the phone.

Then I added noise. I turned on the TV on an average volume and stood in front of it. I can definitely hear every word of the TV. But if I talked at a normal voice, my voice totally overpowered the TV sound and I was completely audible. If i walked about 6 feet away from the TV, the TV sound started to get warbled and much more quiet. I think this is more typical as I normally sit about 6 feet from the TV. I can now talk at low to normal and the I can hear myself great. I turned the TV to very high volume to simulate being outside. It UNFORTUNATELY picks up everything on the TV, but if I spoke, my voice was much louder than the TV.

Now I try Wind. You can put all the shiny foil you want on it, it's not going to work as well as foam like on a boom mic. I put my small vornado fan on low. The wind noise was VERY noticeable. I started to NOT hear any noise after I was about 6 feet away. I tried turning my head to change the angle of the wind, didn't seem to make a difference. That wind was about equivalent to a light breeze. However, it's a consistent breeze, probably unrealistic. But even if I talked at normal volume, my voice would still overpower the wind noise, it was just annoying.

Okay, here's my REAL WORLD TEST. I have to thank my girlfriend as I must have asked her 100 times "can you hear that?" I walked from my quiet street down a busy street, bought a few things at the supermarket, and walked back. Basically, I spoke at a normal volume the whole time, I didn't have to talk loud at all, she heard me the whole time no problem. She could hear all the stuff around me as well, but my voice overpowered everything. She could NOT hear the LOW ambient noises around me, like far away trucks and low flying planes. She can clearly hear the high sounds, sirens, horns, shopping carts, and PA system in the supermarket.

I noticed this same phenomenon with the many of the advanced dual microphone headsets (other Plantronics and BlueAnt). When I was at home, you could annoying hear me crumple up a piece of paper or walking around my creeky hardwood floors.

A2DP is the reason why I bought this headset. I wanted to listen to Audio Books and Podcasts. Yes, when you get a call, it pauses the music so you can answer the call. With my other Headsets, I can hit the Multifunction Button and it pauses the sound. This headset does not. It also does not have any FF or REW buttons. However, the Sound is VERY GOOD. You can hear the deeps. I've tried headset sized A2DP before, if the Chinese brands have high tiny sound, the Blueant T1 sounds very good, this headset has excellent sound quality. Well, as excellent as outside the ear headsets can sound anyways. Btw, when I dial, I can hear the tones in the headset. I guess that's an A2DP thing.

The volume control is interesting. It does NOT control the phones volume, it's independent. This is a good thing actually. If you want it really high, you can manually pump up the phone's volume, then manually pump up the headsets volume, it makes it REALLY loud. Often, when i'm outside on the city streets, no matter how high I put the volume, it's not enough. This is MORE than loud enough at the highest setting.

As far as fit, I've been wearing this thing for 4h straight now. It went from noticeable to barely noticeable. Looks wise it's bulky and totally obnoxious as far as today's headsets go. But in today's world, even the smallest headset if you wear it or use it in a public place is annoying. At least this one, you can talk QUIETLY and still be heard.

I do not have an iphone, so i cannot comment on those wahzoo tech features. Personally, I think they are pointless because with A2DP you can use apps to do the same thing (read text messages, warnings, and so on).

As far a quick comparison, the Plantronics Voyager Pro is a great device, without A2DP, the Plantronics 975 is a little echoee, the blueant T1 is small and sounds good, but I still have to talk louder than normal for the other person to hear me, and doesn't sound nearly as good. The Parrot's are both great, no a2dp, but they are HUGE. The Chinese brands are tiny, great for A2DP only, useless for a phone conversation.

Overall, I'm convinced this is the best overall balance of fit and sound quality headset you can buy today.

UPDATES: The unit has no AUTO-0FF, so even if nothing is connected, it stays on 24/7, since there is no blinking light, you'll never know you left it on unless you push the on/off switch for a sec to get a battery feedback pulse.
Also, I initially wrote the sound was really loud, I still thinks it's pretty loud with some podcasts, but talking to people, I sometimes find even at loudest setting on both the phone and headset, it's not loud enough.

SIRI update: I recently bought an iphone 4s. The bluetooth battery indicator DOES come on on the iphone top icon row with this model, it didn't with my sony MW-600. I just have to hold down the multi function for a half second for SIRI to activate while the phone is sitting on my waisteband. The iphone software actually waits a few seconds to establish the A2DP connection before I get the SIRI double beep prompt telling me to start talking as to prevent me from cutting off to the voice recognition system. It "holds" the connection for about 60s in case you want to continue using SIRI. While A2DP is "held" open, the next SIRI double beep prompt is MUCH shorter, maybe a half second or so, the same as if talking into the phone directly. After that 60s, the iphone will drop the A2DP prompting the Voyager to give me the customary message as to how much battery life I have left. While the Voyager is connected, even activating SIRI from the phone directly will force it to use the bluetooth.
Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2013 9:35 PM PST

Griffin Technology PowerJolt Micro (Flat) 2A x 1 USB Power Charger for iPod/iPhone/iPad (Black)
Offered by Web's Best Deals
Price: $7.80
3 used & new from $7.79

4.0 out of 5 stars do NOT buy for anything other than an Apple product!!, August 25, 2010
It probably does everything it says it can do, after all, it's just a charger. it's well built and tiny (reminds me of a very small USB thumbdrive) just as advertised. It mounts FLUSH to the cigarette plug so much it's fairly hard to remove with unless you use some nails.

I bought it because my phone (HTC EVO) comes with a 1A charger. This thing says it's a 2.1A device. In my mind, it would charge my EVO much faster. When I plug it in, the USB debugging warning comes on and get this, my touchscreen doesn't work anymore. I thought it was just my phone so i tested it on my friends phone... same thing. And it charges REALLY SLOW if at all. even slower than a 500mA charger.

The product description says it's for an iphone, ipad, or ipod. But it DOES SAY to use your own device, use your own USB cable. Which I did. It just doesn't mention that it might JUST trickle charge a smart device, definitely NOT at 2.1Amps.

I'll give it 4 stars for the size and construction alone. It also comes with the most sturdy USB / IPOD dock connector i've ever seen.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

New Trent Trident IMP71T 7100mAh External Battery Pack with Tri-output Port Charger with Large LED Display

4.0 out of 5 stars only 600ma output, July 15, 2010
great unit for the price. it's nice and small and works as advertised.

not too crazy about the method of charging it. it comes with a retractable cable with USB on one end and round plug on the other end and a USB wall charger. If you lose this retractable cable, you are out of luck. You also use this same cable with the included TIPS for ipod, mini, and microusb (or use your own usb to whatever cables).

It ONLY outputs 600ma, most modern smartphones come with 1A output chargers, so it's a fairly SLOW charge. But it works, and for the price, i'm glad i got it as it's 5000mha vs many of the others which are 3500 or less.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2011 5:25 PM PDT

brite-View BV-5005HD Mini CinemaGo 3-in-1 1080p Full HD Networking Multimedia Player

4.0 out of 5 stars great media player, slow torrent client, great interface, July 15, 2010
Probably 90% of the people who buy this could care less about the net connectivity. They are just going to plug a USB device into it and play media files off of it. It does this GREAT. the interface is clean and fresh looking and generally runs smooth and quick. It will play just about anything you throw at it in HD and it looks really nice on the 1080p TV.

But the only thing that makes this unit stand out from the other units (sometimes cheaper) are two things:

1) esata port - but really, it only has one port, so yes it's 3x faster, but you are only reading media files that you don't need a high speed port for. the USB is good enough. If it had TWO of them, you can make the argument that you can copy faster, but it only has ONE port!

2) the torrent client - this is the main reason why i bought this unit over the other units. I tried downloading a couple of 700MB movie files and some approx 75MB music albums. Its NOT fast at all. my uTorrent is SO MUCH FASTER. Whereas I could download a movie in about 4h my fairly slow test connection, i left this thing on for TWO DAYS and it was only pushing 50% on one movie file. And by the way, the torrent client ONLY works when the torrent page is on the screen. Meaning it is NOT running when you are watching a movie. So you have to remember to put it back on the torrent page and leave it on when you want the torrent download to continue.

The other complaints people have about this are valid. The TWO usb ports are too close and in the front. If you use the WIFI dongle, there goes ONE of the USB ports. Also if you use the WIFI dongle or a thumbdrive on the rightside port, it somewhat blocks the remote IR receiver so you have to put the thing at an angle.

In the end, you buy this thing for what it does well, play media. But does it play media that much better than any other media player? It uses the same realtek chip that many other units use (same as the cinematube) so the playback and format support is the same (google "brite view chipset"). But it does have a nice interface which is VERY IMPORTANT.

If you don't care for netflix support, don't care for the stand out torrent client, and are on the most part using it for local and network MEDIA PLAYBACK, it's not any more expensive than any other unit that JUST CAME OUT. But then again, if you are just using for media streaming only, it might be more cost effective to get a last year's model from some other brand for cheaper.

Page: 1 | 2