Profile for koalaroo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

koalaroo "koalaroo1964" RSS Feed (Chandler, AZ United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Nintendo Wii
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Nintendo Wii
Offered by MediaDeluxe
Price: $14.85
197 used & new from $2.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the great experience I expected from a Lego branded product, May 17, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
My 9 year old son seems to like this well enough, but I was disappointed to find this game so focused on running around shooting things. I don't object to the violence (I play other games with my son that involve violence,such as Starcraft) but it just becomes tedious after about 10 minutes. I guess I was expecting more interesting puzzles or something that tied in better with the movie story lines. I give it 2, rather than 1, star because it does have great original Star Wars soundtrack music, and the graphics are done beautifully.

Soylent Green  (Make Room !  Make Room !)
Soylent Green (Make Room ! Make Room !)
by Harry Harrison
30 used & new from $3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly, better than the movie, October 7, 2006
I love the movie Soylent Green, which is based on this book, and had heard that the book was substantially different than the movie. Many of my favorite ideas from the movie - the whole 'soylent green is people' concept, Sol's poignant suicide scene - are not present in the book; the plot lines are substantially different. Instead, the book develops a sensitive and beautiful relationship between the cop, Rusch, and the girl from the apartment, Shirl. These characters are exactly as they are in the movie, as are Sol and the police chief, but are more fully explored in the book. The background is the same dystopian vision of an overcrowded future. In the book I found this interesting backdrop used to tell a very realistic and somewhat bittersweet love story. Highly recommended.

White Christmas
White Christmas
DVD ~ Bing Crosby
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $6.49
151 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favorite holiday movie!, September 30, 2002
This review is from: White Christmas (DVD)
I cannot believe there are people who don't like this movie! So what if it was basically conceived to sell the song White Christmas, this movie has everything...
Great songs - not just 'White Christmas', but 'Count your blessings', 'Snow', and 'The best things happen while your dancing' to name a few.
Fantastic dancing - Vera Ellen...need I say more? Beautiful and extremely talented...her partner in the 'shows sequences' is phenomenal as well, and Danny Kaye isn't exactly a slouch.
A fun, campy 1950's story - more engaging than that 'other' famous Christmas movie with Jimmy Stewart.
Clean humor - I'm not opposed to a little sex and violence now and then, but it is refreshing to see that it isn't a requirement in a movie.
This movie, and the original 'Grinch that stole Christmas' are the only ones we watch EVERY Christmas in our house!

FREE AT LAST
FREE AT LAST
Price: $13.95
76 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Christian music that doesn't sound dorky!, September 30, 2002
This review is from: FREE AT LAST (Audio CD)
Warning! I may not be qualified to review this CD! (I am over 30 years old...)
I listen to a wide variety of music, and I'm a Christian, but I've generally not included many Christian artists in my collection...the reason (I hate to say it) but usually they just aren't as good musically as other artists (ouch!)
So I was not sure I was going to like Free At Last by dc Talk. I had been listening to a lot of younger style music (techno, etc.) and was wondering if any Christian groups had succeeded in matching secular artists in quality in these genres.
To date, only two Christian groups have passed this threshold for me: Take 6 and dc Talk.
Free at Last is high energy and mixes styles well...focused on light rap style with lots of instrumental background and effects mixing, with some songs including more melody/singing. It is my understanding that dc Talk later moved away from rap style to more traditional singing and that this CD is the 'rap' CD. Whatever, man, I just like it!
I particularly like that the messages are really forward Christian messages, not just clean, ambivalent lyrics, and that these guys don't take themselves too seriously...in Free At Last, they start with a funny rendition of a 'typical' performance of this song by a typical church congregation (not so good, in other words) then transition to a high-energy reworked version (with a sound clip of Martin Luther King thrown in for good measure!)
If you think all Christian music is dorky, don't be too sure until you hear Free at Last...

The Tripods Boxed Set of 4: When the Tripods Came/ the White Mountains/ the City of Gold and Lead/ the Pool of Fire
by John Christopher
21 used & new from $7.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Reads like pulp sci-fi (and that's a good thing!)..., September 30, 2002
People read sci-fi for a variety of reasons and it seems like different 'eras' of sci-fi cater to these different tastes. There are plenty of sci-fi books which explore complex mythological, political or social conscience ideas, and that is fine. But, occasionally, even folks who enjoy 'heavy science fiction' just want to be entertained!
If you are in the mood to be entertained, the Tripods series will do the job nicely. It has all the elements of the older pulp sci-fi books ('Have Spacesuit Will Travel' comes to mind)...3 young boys as the protagonists, alien landings, sneaking aboard spacecraft, etc.
What are you waiting for? Earth needs you...

Post
Post
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $9.99
249 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or hate it..., September 30, 2002
This review is from: Post (Audio CD)
Everyone I encounter who knows who Bjork is either loves or hates her work...doesn't seem to be any middle ground. If you like only traditional pop, country or other genres and want all the songs on your albums to sound the same, stay away from Bjork.
If, on the other hand, you get tired of songs that all sound the same and are looking for something fresh, you'll love Bjork. It seems she is trying something specifically unique on each track.
I find 'Post' slightly more innovative and interesting than 'Debut', although both CDs are great. Of this bunch, my favs are, in order: Possibly Maybe, Isobel, Army of Me, Cover Me, Hyper Ballad and Enjoy, so the Amazon provided clips cover only half the good ones! The only track I didn't care for is It's Oh So Quiet.
Get it and listen to someone who isn't afraid to experiment!

Dune
Dune
by Frank Herbert
Price: $6.29
214 used & new from $0.47

4.0 out of 5 stars By far, the best of the series, September 30, 2002
This review is from: Dune (Mass Market Paperback)
Complex, political story with an environmental theme...just enough action and heroics to make you want to wade through the in-fighting and vague mystical references. The first, and by far, best of the Dune series.

Piano Grand! A Smithsonian Celebration
Piano Grand! A Smithsonian Celebration
DVD ~ Billy Joel
Offered by The Squirrel with the Dragon Tattoo
Price: $48.90
27 used & new from $13.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, but with moments of brilliance..., April 16, 2002
Almost any pianist or piano enthusiast will find something to like from this DVD, although I doubt any will like all the selections. This is as it should be...a fair tribute to the piano must include music from many genres.
For me, the highlight of the DVD is Cyrus Chestnut's performance of 'Baroque Impressions', an original jazz improvisational piece built from a Bach theme. His performance was spellbinding...I watched that segment over and over again. Also excellent were the performances by Marcus Roberts and the Labeque sisters.
Billy Joel does a creditable job as MC, and his over-the-top rendition of 'Baby Grand' that opens the DVD is also great.
The producers did a good thing by trying to include some living legends performing live: Jerry Lee Lewis, Toshiko Akiyoshi, and Dave Brubeck. Unfortunately, as these artists are well past their prime, watching their performances was a little saddening...knowing what greatness they've produced in earlier times. Of this group, Brubeck does well in picking a piece that is reflective in nature. I expected to see Ray Charles here, but curiously a performance by him was not included.
Cyrus Chestnut's performance alone justifies the price of this DVD. All in all, a great way to spend an evening!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2010 11:52 AM PST

The Indispensable PC Hardware Book (3rd Edition)
The Indispensable PC Hardware Book (3rd Edition)
by H P. Messmer
47 used & new from $0.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hardware reference, March 24, 2002
This is the best overall reference I've found to date on the hardware systems that make up a PC. Every subsystem is covered, presenting pertinent historical and current information.
The architectural details of the various CPU families are covered, although not in as much detail as other books focused specifically on each processor family. This book does provide a great starting point for further research in these areas.
'The Indispensable PC Hardware Book' does a slightly better job covering hardware details than 'The Undocumented PC' which does a slightly better job covering information low-level software engineers need. Together, these books provide a complete reference for legacy and current PC systems.

7 Steps to Emotional Intelligence
7 Steps to Emotional Intelligence
by Patrick E. Merlevede
Price: $27.94
43 used & new from $0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to disagree with the other reviewers, but..., March 24, 2002
I bought this book instead of the Goleman book because all the reviewers indicated that the Goleman book was lacking in practical advice as to how to apply the theory to achieve results in your life.
Unfortunately, I found 7 Steps to Emotional Intelligence even less useful due to the extremely technical, academic presentation style and the focus on Neuro Linguistic Programming. I didn't realize I was buying an NLP book...I thought this would be primarily a book about emotional intelligence.
Being an engineer, academic or technical presentation styles are usually not a problem for me, but I just found that I didn't want to spend 90% of my time comprehending NLP and only 10% learning about emotional intelligence.
If you are already very familiar with NLP, this book may be what you are looking for. If not, you may be disappointed, as I was.

Page: 1 | 2